GDT: R1:G3 | New York Islanders vs Carolina Hurricanes | April 25th | 7:30 PM | F/3-2 L

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
I am the furthest thing from an Engvall fan but I have to say, he wasn’t terrible tonight. I mean he still sucks but not tonight.
He serves a purpose! He may get lost in no man's land but he brings wheels which this aging team sorely needs.

he can invite all the country club members including pajama boy
I find that after a brutal loss it always helps getting in a pajama boy dig. Let's go Bruins!!

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I’m inclined to agree with you, but is there any evidence to this or just a guess (albeit an educated one)? You sound awfully certain.

I'll never remember, but someone credible just basically said it years ago.

That said you don't even have to connect too many dots as whenever anything notable happens with the Isles (arena announcement, hiring Lou, etc) the parties involved are always thanking Malkin...And sometimes Ledecky.

If you dig you'll connect the dots, but here's an article showing it:

https://www.lighthousehockey.com/2018/5/22/17380042/ny-islanders-lou-lamoriello-president-hockey-operations

The New York Islanders announced today the hiring of Lou Lamoriello as President of Hockey Operations. He will have full authority over all hockey matters with the organization.

”We are grateful to Larry Tanenbaum and the Toronto Maple Leafs for their courtesy in allowing this move,” Managing Partner of the Islanders, Scott Malkin said. “We are committed to giving Lou every resource and the full support of the entire organization as we pursue our program to compete at the highest level.”

”I am excited to join such a storied franchise and look forward to working with Scott Malkin and the entire New York Islanders organization,” Lamoriello said.

And here's and more poingent article...

https://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/neil-best/neil-best-islanders-ivyz2eup

At some point Lamoriello will discuss all this publicly, as will Lambert, as perhaps will co-owner Jon Ledecky. That’s fine. The more public voices, the merrier.

But it is time for a new voice to weigh in on what is going on with this franchise, and that is Ledecky’s longtime friend and business partner, Scott Malkin.

Ledecky has been an accessible spokesman for ownership among both journalists and fans for years, but he owns less than 50% of the team, and the league clearly considers Malkin the Islanders’ point man.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman regularly seems to go out of his way to refer to Malkin, never Ledecky, when discussing Islanders ownership publicly.

So let’s hear from Malkin about where he sees all this going and what he thinks of the longtime ownership mantra “In Lou We Trust.”

Lamoriello earned that trust with the three-Stanley Cup resume he brought to Long Island, then solidified it with two runs to the NHL semifinals and regular playoff appearances.

But what about now?

Reactions: Zeeker

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
Roy blew that one. It’s a bummer.

Still a fan of what he’s done here.
I like Patty, and I can’t fault him for going with Sorokin to shake things up and because he’s our starter.

But Patty knows that Ilya’s confidence is shot, especially after this one. His responses to the reporters were good, but I’m sure he’s thinking that Sorokin blew that game for us. Ilya can’t hold a candle to St. Patrick.

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
Compete level just not there until its desperartion time for a bunch of these guys.

For all the "Trade Palmieri with retention" cries he's been one of our best forwards. Romonov our best D Man. I actually miss Playoff Mayfield. Engval surprisingly noticable.

Dobson played better tonight but still looks lost in our end. Pelech and husks of MM and Clutter look cooked. Just careless and indecisive play from a whole lot of guys. Despite scoring, Brock another guy who plays very hesitantly. Consistent scorer but he might have actual value in a deal. I'm a Branch Rickey Guy- Better to deal a player a year early than a year too late .Even after the Nelson goal, an immediate iceing .... forget who the dman was. Just careless stuff untill desperaton time. I count now 3 losses over 2 playoff rounds with Canes where Sorokin had a poor game. Games 2 and 6 last year and tonight.

Hoping LL is gracefully kicked upstairs. Thanks for 2019-21 but time has marched on. Sorry for the rant but I'm pissed.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Chockey22

Jul 12, 2022
pretty even game, but tough to win when you only score twice (and when your "superstar" goalie plays like that). Feels a lot like last year, where it isn't all that unreasonable to think the Isles could be ahead in the series, but instead find themselves down. Need some major retooling this offseason

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Is Ledecky going to announce Lou is fired and they are going to rebuild tommorow or is he going to wait until Sunday
They are in a perfect spot to rebuild.

They have a $9.1M Talent that hasn’t scored in 12 games and is a -2 with a point in 3 playoff games. You need players to watch when you are losing.

Then, you have a franchise goalie that provides a SJ shark like .906 for the season, gets put into a playoff game and can’t hack it for 30 mins, no less, to step up and give a .786. And was magically going to ‘steal a game.’

My lord. Unbelievable .

• Wow
Reactions: Olliemets

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
Every single NYI playoff series I've watched in 29 years a fan I remember the ID of this team being hard working, big hits, energy. I haven't seen a sniff of that this entire series. They look old, slow, and not hungry enough in the slightest

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
And lets not forget, that the refs chose to ignore a clear high stick to our player after calling one on us and a clear trip. We have had 5 PPs in the series, that is how many Carolina had in Game 2 alone. For some reason the refs decide to ignore when stuff is done to our players.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I'll never remember, but someone credible just basically said it years ago.

That said you don't even have to connect too many dots as whenever anything notable happens with the Isles (arena announcement, hiring Lou, etc) the parties involved are always thanking Malkin...And sometimes Ledecky.

If you dig you'll connect the dots, but here's an article showing it:

https://www.lighthousehockey.com/2018/5/22/17380042/ny-islanders-lou-lamoriello-president-hockey-operations

The New York Islanders announced today the hiring of Lou Lamoriello as President of Hockey Operations. He will have full authority over all hockey matters with the organization.

”We are grateful to Larry Tanenbaum and the Toronto Maple Leafs for their courtesy in allowing this move,” Managing Partner of the Islanders, Scott Malkin said. “We are committed to giving Lou every resource and the full support of the entire organization as we pursue our program to compete at the highest level.”

”I am excited to join such a storied franchise and look forward to working with Scott Malkin and the entire New York Islanders organization,” Lamoriello said.

And here's and more poingent article...

https://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/neil-best/neil-best-islanders-ivyz2eup

At some point Lamoriello will discuss all this publicly, as will Lambert, as perhaps will co-owner Jon Ledecky. That’s fine. The more public voices, the merrier.

But it is time for a new voice to weigh in on what is going on with this franchise, and that is Ledecky’s longtime friend and business partner, Scott Malkin.

Ledecky has been an accessible spokesman for ownership among both journalists and fans for years, but he owns less than 50% of the team, and the league clearly considers Malkin the Islanders’ point man.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman regularly seems to go out of his way to refer to Malkin, never Ledecky, when discussing Islanders ownership publicly.

So let’s hear from Malkin about where he sees all this going and what he thinks of the longtime ownership mantra “In Lou We Trust.”

Lamoriello earned that trust with the three-Stanley Cup resume he brought to Long Island, then solidified it with two runs to the NHL semifinals and regular playoff appearances.

But what about now?
Ledecky is a minority owner. He flipped his profit from his minority ownership in the Caps to put into the Isles - he will flip it again later on. Malkin is the largest shareholder and the one with the money (and credit). He diluted his shares recently to take on another investor to pay for the village.

Malkin is the background brains. Ledecky is the forward guy. Malkin trusts Ledecky, but also knows the valuation ride both are on. Absent Ledecky doing something really dumb, they’ll both make out big time in the end.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
They are in a perfect spot to rebuild.

They have a $9.1M Talent that hasn’t scored in 12 games and is a -2 with a point in 3 playoff games. You need players to watch when you are losing.

Then, you have a franchise goalie that provides a SJ shark like .906 for the season, gets put into a playoff game and can’t hack it for 30 mins, no less, to step up and give a .786. And was magically going to ‘steal a game.’

My lord. Unbelievable .

And who handed out long term deals to both these players you seem to hate for the next 7 years that take up over 17 million on the cap each year?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
And lets not forget, that the refs chose to ignore a clear high stick to our player after calling one on us and a clear trip. We have had 5 PPs in the series, that is how many Carolina had in Game 2 alone. For some reason the refs decide to ignore when stuff is done to our players.

The refs should not be discussed. Like at all. Distracts from the real issues that need to be fixed which are the real reasons we're losing this series.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
And who handed out long term deals to both these players you seem to hate for the next 7 years that take up over 17 million on the cap each year?
And never liked the Barzal deal from day one. Wasn’t keen on how Sorokin would handle truly being the number one either.

We can complain about Lou, but absent a 15% premium, another GM would have signed these players to these deals.

Chockey22

Jul 12, 2022
The refs should not be discussed. Like at all. Distracts from the real issues that need to be fixed and the reason we're losing this series.
Especially since the PP is terrible and actually kills any bit of momentum they're able to generate

Reactions: periferal

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
The refs should not be discussed. Like at all. Distracts from the real issues that need to be fixed which are the real reasons we're losing this series.
Well the main reason we lost tonight was Sorokin but you dont seem to want to acknowledge that either. Despite 95% of the board saying it.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
And never liked the Barzal deal from day one. Wasn’t keen on how Sorokin would handle truly being the number one either.

We can complain about Lou, but absent a 15% premium, another GM would have signed these players to these deals.

15% less would be a 2M extra cap space per year. That ain't nothing.

And sounds like you wish Lou/any GM would've traded Barzal as opposed to giving a long term deal.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
You guys realize that Ledecky is just a PR figurehead and it's Malkin who calls all the shots.

At what point does Malkin say "this is good?" Also if your Ledecky, who is a billionaire in his own right and has owned an NBA team, stops and says look I aint Chuck E Cheese here.. the fans are calling for his head. this team isnt getting any younger and neither is Lou. We need to have a plan B.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Well the main reason we lost tonight was Sorokin but you dont seem to want to acknowledge that either. Despite 95% of the board saying it.

No - Sorokin was was again and his play this year is a massive issue.

That said even with Varly in games 1 and 2 they couldn't win - And embarrassed themselves in the process with a total lack of mental fortitude in game 2.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
15% less would be a 2M extra cap space per year. That ain't nothing.

And sounds like you wish Lou/any GM would've traded Barzal as opposed to giving a long term deal.
Look up Hellybuck’s contract. It’s roughly the same. And he plays in WPG.

100% on Barzal. He barely earned his bridge deal. They given him 3 years to be the guy. He ain’t it. And he doesn’t play a game that makes other players ‘it’ either. Pull a Vegas, FL, WPG and get rid of him. Let some other sucker deal with him.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
At what point does Malkin say "this is good?" Also if your Ledecky, who is a billionaire in his own right and has owned an NBA team, stops and says look I aint Chuck E Cheese here.. the fans are calling for his head. this team isnt getting any younger and neither is Lou. We need to have a plan B.

Oh I hear you and I so agree, but just because you're a billionaire doesn't mean you know how enough about the hockey side of things. I mean wang is enough proof, but look at the Dolan with the Knicks, Woody and the Jets, Dan Snyder, etc.

Reactions: The Real JT

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Ledecky is far from a billionaire. Multi-millionaire, yes.

Reactions: MarsTBOW

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Look up Hellybuck’s contract. It’s roughly the same. And he plays in WPG.

100% on Barzal. He barely earned his bridge deal. They given him 3 years to be the guy. He ain’t it. And he doesn’t play a game that makes other players ‘it’ either. Pull a Vegas, FL, WPG and get rid of him. Let some other sucker deal with him.

I'm so done with this core that I don't really care who they trade....As long as they don't give up more picks to get rid of those players.

That said if you trade Barzal then you might as well deal Nelson and then you are truly rebuilding as this team won't score like at all after that.

Reactions: chico19341

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I'm so done with this core that I don't really care who they trade....As long as they don't give up more picks to get rid of those players.

That said if you trade Barzal then you might as well deal Nelson and then you are truly rebuilding as this team won't score like at all after that.
FL traded a FWD and D for a FWD and D. It’s totally changed them and pushed them forward. The isles can do the same.

Flip Barzal and Pelech/Pulock to OTT for Tkachuk and Churkin (not a fan but…) as an example.

You can keep Nelson in a trade like that.

The big issue is whether Sorokin bounces back or not. No one knows but this season is definitely a cause for concern.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Where was this nights team during the 2nd half of game 2? They would have actually won that one with a sustained effort like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad