Speculation: Armchair GM Thread Mk. II - Now Paging Derek Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Going to be a long off-season with barely any draft picks, not that many trade-able assets, a lot of work to be done with the forward group (the entire bottom 6, a high end RW), players needing to be bought out (Brouwer), players needing to be traded (Stone), coaches needed to be fired (clean house), coaches needing to be hired, players getting healthy from surgery (please be good to go at the beginning of next season Monahan).

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
I think the most realistic thing to do is clean the coaching staff into the dumpster, and then maybe sign some potential bounceback or veteran guys to try and squeeze some value out of them? Basically like what the Jays did this offseason?

Reactions: No Draft

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Doubt it will happen, but some Blues fans were fine with trading Allen and the Jets first for a mep player. Anyone want to do it and bank on Allen being a good backup for us?

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Doubt it will happen, but some Blues fans were fine with trading Allen and the Jets first for a mep player. Anyone want to do it and bank on Allen being a good backup for us?
Allen has 3 more years at 4.35M per.

They'd have to take Brouwer back or retain significantly to make it even semi-viable.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Between AV and Darryl Sutter, who would you rather have as a coach for the Flames?

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Sutter > AV for me.

The last two years AV has basically been the Anti Gulutzan. The Rangers play only for quality and I'm not sure that's better than playing for quantity. You need a kid of both and the past two year the Rangers have been a really bad team carried by goaltending.

I think if you look at their firing thread Rangers fans hate him far more than our fans hate GG. I will say though prior to the last few years AV has been a very good coach.

I also think Trotz is an option. Not his fault that the caps GM signed some really bad contracts and they now have no depth. Blaming him for not going far in the playoffs is stupid. Like how much control can he possibly have over how his team plays in game 7s? They're a presidents trophy winning team routinely who just haven't been able to get past Pittsburgh.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Sutter > AV for me.

The last two years AV has basically been the Anti Gulutzan. The Rangers play only for quality and I'm not sure that's better than playing for quantity. You need a kid of both and the past two year the Rangers have been a really bad team carried by goaltending.

I think if you look at their firing thread Rangers fans hate him far more than our fans hate GG. I will say though prior to the last few years AV has been a very good coach.

I think we have a quality chances team. Dance around outside with your speed until guys get to the net, something opens up. The amount of times we just flung the puck at the net with no traffic in the region, when we could have been more patient and waited for an actual goal scoring chance to appear.

That’s alao why our D need to jump into the play more. We need that second wave of attack especially off the rush. Gulutzan basically forbid it.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I think we have a quality chances team. Dance around outside with your speed until guys get to the net, something opens up. The amount of times we just flung the puck at the net with no traffic in the region, when we could have been more patient and waited for an actual goal scoring chance to appear.

That’s alao why our D need to jump into the play more. We need that second wave of attack especially off the rush. Gulutzan basically forbid it.
I don't think you can just go for quality though that's a really bad strategy IMO. Goals are scored all the time off of deflections and rebounds generated by just shooting. Holding the puck all game waiting for the perfect chance kind of pins all of your hopes on scoring on a few chances.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Why? Barry Tortz has never won ****. His team's always choke, if he can't get the Caps past the 3rd round he is a **** coach.
The Caps have failed repeatedly under 3 different coaches, blaming the coaches at this point is just using them as scapegoats. The problem in Washington is the way the team has been built, not the way it has been coached.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
The Caps have failed repeatedly under 3 different coaches, blaming the coaches at this point is just using them as scapegoats. The problem in Washington is the way the team has been built, not the way it has been coached.

Barry Trotz has not won anything, even with Nashville. The Caps winning % over the last 4 regular seasons under Barry Trotz is .616 and over but in the playoffs they never do good.

Barry Trotz NHL & WHA Hockey Coaching Record | Hockey-Reference.com

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Sutter > AV for me.

I also think Trotz is an option. Not his fault that the caps GM signed some really bad contracts and they now have no depth. Blaming him for not going far in the playoffs is stupid. Like how much control can he possibly have over how his team plays in game 7s? They're a presidents trophy winning team routinely who just haven't been able to get past Pittsburgh.

Why? Under Barry Trotz the Cap have been one of best regular season team's but come playoffs, they don't go far. Same thing happened in Nashville with Barry Trotz.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Barry Trotz has not won anything, even with Nashville. The Caps winning % over the last 4 regular seasons under Barry Trotz is .616 and over but in the playoffs they never do good.

Barry Trotz NHL & WHA Hockey Coaching Record | Hockey-Reference.com
Trotz coached a f***ing expansion team in Nashville and they always severely lacked offensive talent during his tenure there. He instilled in them the identity they have now, he is a big reason they are contenders now. But after a decade or however long he was there, it was simply time for a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad