Speculation: Armchair GM Thread Mk. II - Now Paging Derek Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Thing is with Lehner though, the Flames aren’t exactly known for having success with project goalies.
Have we ever gotten anyone in Lehner's situation? Not in my recent memory, anyway. He's pre-apex (as Feaster would say), and he's had good numbers only ever playing for bad teams. He's like a younger Mike Smith. If we could get him to sign for one year, perhaps he proves himself worthy of a long contract, and he takes over for Smith going forward. If it paid off, it could solve our goaltending for a long time. If it didn't, it's only one year.

Reactions: Flamesfan62

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
I'm going to vote no on Lehner. Nothing against crazy goalies if their craziness manifests in exceptional battle level (Thomas, Hasek etc.), but I've never seen that with Lehner. But I haven't followed him that much to be completely honest.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think the main reason I'd be on board with Lehner is because I don't think there is a more attractive option out there, and I don't think Gillies or Rittich showed themselves ready to win NHL games regularly.

Ty Dolla

Jan 1, 2018
Man I could really take one Kucherov for Dougie. I'd even throw in a Ferland/Jankowski or Bennett :laugh:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think the main reason I'd be on board with Lehner is because I don't think there is a more attractive option out there, and I don't think Gillies or Rittich showed themselves ready to win NHL games regularly.
At some point you have to trust your guys.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
At some point you have to trust your guys.

Why? Lehner is more proven and will likely be just as cheap. Gillies and Rittich need to earn trust, and will have a chance to do that with their play at the AHL level, or at the NHL level if either guy gets injured (which is kind of a safe bet with these two).

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
Why? Lehner is more proven and will likely be just as cheap. Gillies and Rittich need to earn trust, and will have a chance to do that with their play at the AHL level, or at the NHL level if either guy gets injured (which is kind of a safe bet with these two).

If Rittich and Gillies are in the AHL, what happens to Parsons (aka the guy earmarked as the Flames future starter)?

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I used to think this.

And then we got Hartley behind the bench and realized the problem wasn't JBo, it was Butter.
Butter certainly made things worse, but JBo was never worth his 7 million dollar contract. Even with a coach who suited him, he was certainly not a #1 dman, and I would argue not a very good #2 either. 2nd pairing though? He was great for that role.

That's a bit off. Darryl made do with what he had, but he was also the guy who originally allowed Jordan Leopold to emerge, who in many ways was our "true" #1D on the 2004 run (not to take away from Regehr - they were both crucial), and he also picked up Roman Hamrlik. Giordano was/is also a very good skater, even if he's not one of those elite naturals that JBo and Brodie are. I'd toss John Negrin and Anton Stralman out there as a few others Darryl acquired at some point, even if they never panned out for us.
Fair, he wasn't entirely obsessed with size/stay-at-homeness (forgot he was the one who signed Gio as well, and completely forgot about Hamrlik), but as far as guys he actually put or kept on the NHL roster, there was too strong an emphasis on size and stay-at-homeness, in my opinion. So many frustrating flashbacks to Sarich, Warrener, Eriksson (ugh), Vandermeer, and so on.

And granted, Regehr had a great reputation and Phaneuf looked like a future Norris winner by his 2nd season, but Sutter just stuck with both of them much longer than he should have. It's hard to blame him for that mindset as well, because the idea that "every pairing needs a stay-at-home guy" (meaning big, immobile, and often lacking offensive ability) was a pretty popular opinion at the time.

Last edited:

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Heading up to the cabin now. Hope they show draft on NBC.... worst case Ontario I listen to it on 960..

Let’s goooo boys big night hopefully.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The other thing about Lehner is he is a ****ty ****ing goalie
How does a goalie as bad as your vehemence is meant to show put up such decent in such a bad team?

Again, this is the exact same kind of conversation that was had about Smith.

Ah well, I'm just interested in the idea. I'm not married to it. I'd be optimistic if we went for it, but I imagine he probable ends up somewhere else.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
If we sign Lehner, we should definitely trade one of Gillies or Rittich.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad