Speculation: Armchair GM Thread Mk. II - Now Paging Derek Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
That’s a legit reporter. He is pretty famous in the hockey world. As you may recall tortorella beaking at him a while ago during an interview.
PeskyEducatedAndalusianhorse-max-1mb.gif

I miss those guys' exchanges!

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
He's a legit reporter in the same sense as Bruce Garrioch and Steve Simmons. Writes a lot of sensationalist nonsense. He's the one who wrote that ridiculous sour grapes article on the Caps a couple of weeks ago after they won the Cup.

Brooksie's comments aside, it makes very little sense for the Flames to be shopping Hamonic in particular.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Tbf, Carolina's goaltending has been atrocious over the last few years. Can't really get anywhere with a washed up Cam Ward as your #1A guy
Lindholm's on-ice save percentage at 5v5 has actually been better over the past 2 years than Backlund's over the past 4 - I excluded Lindholm's earlier seasons because he did have some growing pains as a rookie and sophomore. It looks more like his issues are having a bit of a lack of offensive ability (again, kind of like Frolik). I think because he doesn't seem to be a great shooter in terms of skill or volume, he's not as well-rounded as one might like.

Last edited:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Brooksie's comments aside, it makes very little sense for the Flames to be shopping Hamonic in particular.
The plan might be to move Brodie back to the right, play him with Stone and graduate Andersson. But it's more likely that there's no truth to this rumour

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I'm guessing it's more of other teams calling in and asking about Hamonic (and every other right handed defenceman in the organization) and Treliving saying sure, but only if the price (which is presumably high) is met. So technically available but not really.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
He's a legit reporter in the same sense as Bruce Garrioch and Steve Simmons. Writes a lot of sensationalist nonsense. He's the one who wrote that ridiculous sour grapes article on the Caps a couple of weeks ago after they won the Cup.

They should trade one of the top 4 d-men for scoring. They went this route with Darryl, an expensive top 4. Just have 1 star defenseman and 5 role players.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
His on-ice save percentage at 5v5 has actually been better over the past 2 years than Backlund's over the past 4 - I excluded Lindholm's earlier seasons because he did have some growing pains as a rookie and sophomore. It looks more like his issues are having a bit of a lack of offensive ability (again, kind of like Frolik). I think because he doesn't seem to be a great shooter in terms of skill or volume, he's not as well-rounded as one might like.
This took me forever to figure out what the heck you were talking about. So many questions like "what is Cam Ward's OFF-Ice save percentage" and "What was Backlunds 5v5 save % last year?!"

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
First time I turn on 960 since 2017 and the first thing I hear is Hamilton is good as gone.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
This took me forever to figure out what the heck you were talking about. So many questions like "what is Cam Ward's OFF-Ice save percentage" and "What was Backlunds 5v5 save % last year?!"
lol that was admittedly not the clearest sentence I've ever written. I'll tweak it.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
They should trade one of the top 4 d-men for scoring. They went this route with Darryl, an expensive top 4. Just have 1 star defenseman and 5 role players.
The problem with Dutter's expensive top 4 is that it was comprised of a guy whose knees were giving out on him and honestly didn't play a game well-suited to the "new NHL" (Regehr), a way overpaid #3 (JBo), and a guy who inexplicably fell of a cliff (Phaneuf), plus Gio. We have to remember, this was back in 2010 when JBo and Phaneuf combined to take up 22% of the cap, versus Gio and Hamilton combining to take up 17% of the cap (and both of them being better players). It wasn't so much that "a strong, expensive top 4 is a bad idea" as it was "a not-so-good, extremely expensive top 4 is a bad idea."

And prior to 2010, you still had Regehr as the lynchpin of the defence (and he is not what anyone would call a two-way defenceman), combined with guys like a retread Adrian Aucoin, a dinosaur in Cory Sarich, and on and on. Dutter's biggest problem from a roster construction perspective was that he often went for size and "grit" over skating, puck moving ability and transitional skill, at least as far as the defence was concerned. JBo and Brodie were the only two exceptions to that I can remember from his tenure as GM, and unfortunately JBo ended up falling far short of expectations.

Reactions: The Gnome

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I wonder if we go after Lehner as backup. He was bad this year but in the last he’s been a pretty good goalie on an abysmal team.

Rittich For 3rd rounder

Sign Lehner 1 year 1 million AAV

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Back in the 2009/2010 (at least the first half of the season anyway), Sutter had committed roughly 22M to the Flames' top five defenders (Bouwmeester [6.68M], Phaneuf [6.5M], Regehr [4.02M], Sarich [3.6M], Giordano [1M?]). The cap ceiling was 56.8M; in other words, he had allocated around 40% of the available cap space to his defence.

Last year, Treliving committed 24.5M to the top five. Ceiling was 75M; so a little less than 33% (which drops even further with the cap going up to 79.5M). Dropping Stone (and replacing him with Kulak as the 5th highest paid defender) would see roughly 28% of the cap allocated to the defence.

I'm bored.

Also, Lehner's a massive head case who likes to blame his teammates for goals against and I doubt management wants someone like him in the lockerroom.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I'd be willing to give Lehner 2 years if the AAV is less than 1,5M, and Rittich (or someone else) is traded to make room.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Also, Lehner's a massive head case who likes to blame his teammates for goals against and I doubt management wants someone like him in the lockerroom.

Wasn't something like that said about Smith as well? Generally I do not want guys with questionable character, but for goalies its little different for me

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Back in the 2009/2010 (at least the first half of the season anyway), Sutter had committed roughly 22M to the Flames' top five defenders (Bouwmeester [6.68M], Phaneuf [6.5M], Regehr [4.02M], Sarich [3.6M], Giordano [1M?]). The cap ceiling was 56.8M; in other words, he had allocated around 40% of the available cap space to his defence.

Last year, Treliving committed 24.5M to the top five. Ceiling was 75M; so a little less than 33% (which drops even further with the cap going up to 79.5M). Dropping Stone (and replacing him with Kulak as the 5th highest paid defender) would see roughly 28% of the cap allocated to the defence.

I'm bored.

As a counterpoint, very similar things were said about Mike Smith before this season.

I, too, am intrigued by Lehner. I think he's got a chance to be the next Dubnyk. I think his game has suffered because of all the losing he's done. He's a guy who put up two consecutive years with a .920 SV% on a horrendous team, then he had a rough year this last one. I think he could be a good goalie on a better team.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Dutter's biggest problem from a roster construction perspective was that he often went for size and "grit" over skating, puck moving ability and transitional skill, at least as far as the defence was concerned. JBo and Brodie were the only two exceptions to that I can remember from his tenure as GM, and unfortunately JBo ended up falling far short of expectations.

That's a bit off. Darryl made do with what he had, but he was also the guy who originally allowed Jordan Leopold to emerge, who in many ways was our "true" #1D on the 2004 run (not to take away from Regehr - they were both crucial), and he also picked up Roman Hamrlik. Giordano was/is also a very good skater, even if he's not one of those elite naturals that JBo and Brodie are. I'd toss John Negrin and Anton Stralman out there as a few others Darryl acquired at some point, even if they never panned out for us.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
That is true, Smith was characterized in the same way. Maybe losing just brings out the worst in these guys.

I think losing brings out the worst in guys for sure. But especially in goalies, where anything that affects focus leads to blooper reel moments.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Wasn't something like that said about Smith as well? Generally I do not want guys with questionable character, but for goalies its little different for me
I'm fine with having a headcase for a goalie... but do we want TWO of them!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad