Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2020-2021 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Philadelphia doesn't really need a LW. I think the Flames should look at other teams based out east who would be interested in him. I think he'd re-sign anywhere if it's close to home.

Also don't expect a haul. He's coming off 2 down seasons. Most I'd expect is a 1st + a good prospect.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Philadelphia doesn't really need a LW. I think the Flames should look at other teams based out east who would be interested in him. I think he'd re-sign anywhere if it's close to home.

Also don't expect a haul. He's coming off 2 down seasons. Most I'd expect is a 1st + a good prospect.

Rangers could make an interesting trade partner.

TkachuksMouthguard

Mar 17, 2007
London, UK
As much as I would looooove to see Laine in a Flames uniform, I think that would be a bad move overall. Laine unfortunately needs a winning team to thrive and feel motivated. Calgary is the opposite of that. We need to do everything to acquire a Center piece to drive play. No clue at this point who that could be. I see little hope beyond a full rebuild.

Either way, out the door:
Gaudreau, Monahan, Bennett

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Svechnikov cleared waiver and he is better than most flames prospects

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
As much as I would looooove to see Laine in a Flames uniform, I think that would be a bad move overall. Laine unfortunately needs a winning team to thrive and feel motivated. Calgary is the opposite of that. We need to do everything to acquire a Center piece to drive play. No clue at this point who that could be. I see little hope beyond a full rebuild.

Either way, out the door:
Gaudreau, Monahan, Bennett

I don’t know, we kinda need a right handed scoring winger #1 PP shooter option more than anything right now. We also have skilled wingers and two-way C’s to play him with and help him become a better all-around player, but my god do we need a legit shooter. Our PP1 would be so much better and it would honestly open up so much space for Johnny. Monahan for Laine is definitely a risk but if we can’t get a high 1st+good prospect or a Dumba or Reinhart type of player we should consider it. Sign a replacement two-way C in the off-season (Phillip Danault) and role with:
Gaudreau-Lindholm-Laine
Tkachuk-Danault-Mangiapane
Dube-Backlund-Phillips/UFA
Lucic-Ryan-Leivo

that’s a pretty solid upgrade. At that point we just have to figure out the D situation and with the top-10 pick we have a much better outlook. Not my first choice but would address a HUGE area of need. For sure have to make sure he’s not asking for something crazy like 9 mil after a year like this though, I’d bet his contract is closer to the 6-7 mil range

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
so true. I feel like we’ve actually played well under Sutter for the most part. Brain farts, the PP and bad goaltending are sinking us right now.

And lack of scoring. Part of that might be Sutter's take a shot everytime you can approach though. What I like is that Flames are able to sustain pressure on the o-zone, and they are aggressive in winning puck battles

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The only move is to tank:

Trade deadline: Move anyone on expiring contracts, or a team that'd like playoff Bennett, since we're only getting golfing Bennett. You're not going to be able to make big moves with these restrictions this year.

Expansion draft: on D protect, Ras, Hanifin and Tanev.
F: Protect Mangi, Dube, John, Chucky, Backlund, Monahan and Lindholm
G: protect Markstrom

Tank so damn hard that you luck into a top 5 pick, hopefully some Lotto Gods luck for a top 2 pick.

Make the damn pick.
or
Trade the damn pick and Monahan and whatever else evens it out for Eichel.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
The only move is to tank:

Trade deadline: Move anyone on expiring contracts, or a team that'd like playoff Bennett, since we're only getting golfing Bennett. You're not going to be able to make big moves with these restrictions this year.

Expansion draft: on D protect, Ras, Hanifin and Tanev.
F: Protect Mangi, Dube, John, Chucky, Backlund, Monahan and Lindholm
G: protect Markstrom

Tank so damn hard that you luck into a top 5 pick, hopefully some Lotto Gods luck for a top 2 pick.

Make the damn pick.
or
Trade the damn pick and Monahan and whatever else evens it out for Eichel.
Hahaha this is one of the most paradoxical posts of all time. Full tank mode! Sell sell sell! Except keep every single player of value and ship Bennett for a 4th!!! Sell sell sell tank so damn hard! Oh except don’t trade Monahan or Backlund for a 1st+prospect but also tank soooo hard

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Hahaha this is one of the most paradoxical posts of all time. Full tank mode! Sell sell sell! Except keep every single player of value and ship Bennett for a 4th!!! Sell sell sell tank so damn hard! Oh except don’t trade Monahan or Backlund for a 1st+prospect but also tank soooo hard

Tanking is not the same thing as rebuilding. He's advocating losing as much as possible this season. It doesn't appear that trading those guys is necessary for that.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Signing Getzlaf could change things. Need a top 5 pick this year but might not need to tank next season

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Tanking is not the same thing as rebuilding. He's advocating losing as much as possible this season. It doesn't appear that trading those guys is necessary for that.
I feel like usually tanking means selling off valuable assets in an attempt to get high picks and not just icing what we thought was a playoff roster and seeing them suck. At least that’s what I’d hope so that we don’t stay mediocre forever. Not saying ship every single guy but if you’re gonna tank that doesn’t mean just do nothing/ sell only fringe depth guys and watch ur sinking ship slowly drown...

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I feel like usually tanking means selling off valuable assets in an attempt to get high picks and not just icing what we thought was a playoff roster and seeing them suck. At least that’s what I’d hope so that we don’t stay mediocre forever
Usually that is required, yes. Is it for this team? We don't have many games left to suddenly become a winning squad, so I definitely am on board with both going for the high pick but also retaining an NHL team to add that pick to.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Usually that is required, yes. Is it for this team? We don't have many games left to suddenly become a winning squad, so I definitely am on board with both going for the high pick but also retaining an NHL team to add that pick to.
So you want to tank this season, get a high pick, and then what about next season? Suddenly be good again despite 0 legit NHL ready prospects and almost 0 cap flexibility? Pray that our 5th-8th overall pick is able to make a huge difference in the next two years? I really don’t understand why we’d wanna tank this year but not sell off any of our somewhat valuable assets for picks and prospects as if we expect to just be a playoff team again next year?? Like when you say ‘usually that is required for tanking’ it’s not because in a typical tank the team just wants to be bad. it’s to accumulate assets for the future. Which is exactly what we should be doing and not just trying to maintain a ‘competitive’ roster that is clearly not even a playoff team. That’s like the most half-a** Flames-esque ‘tank’ I could imagine

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don’t know, we kinda need a right handed scoring winger #1 PP shooter option more than anything right now. We also have skilled wingers and two-way C’s to play him with and help him become a better all-around player, but my god do we need a legit shooter. Our PP1 would be so much better and it would honestly open up so much space for Johnny. Monahan for Laine is definitely a risk but if we can’t get a high 1st+good prospect or a Dumba or Reinhart type of player we should consider it. Sign a replacement two-way C in the off-season (Phillip Danault) and role with:
Gaudreau-Lindholm-Laine
Tkachuk-Danault-Mangiapane
Dube-Backlund-Phillips/UFA
Lucic-Ryan-Leivo

that’s a pretty solid upgrade. At that point we just have to figure out the D situation and with the top-10 pick we have a much better outlook. Not my first choice but would address a HUGE area of need. For sure have to make sure he’s not asking for something crazy like 9 mil after a year like this though, I’d bet his contract is closer to the 6-7 mil range

If the Jackets don't trade you Laine, and you pick up a 2c, why not move Monahan to the wing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad