Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2020-2021 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam Bennnnnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt !!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

no. Both players' trade value is low right now, but I don't think it's a case of either guy being done, just a case of bad numbers on bad teams and probably a lack of drive and motivation from guys who want to be competing for a championship.

If you can get one of those guys, and maybe send Gio+Ryan the other way, you'll have a hecking D core

Kylington-Doughty
Valimaki-Andersson
Hanifin-Tanev

That is a championship D core

Valimaki-Karlsson
Kylington-Andersson
Hanifin-Tanev

As is that

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
no. Both players' trade value is low right now, but I don't think it's a case of either guy being done, just a case of bad numbers on bad teams and probably a lack of drive and motivation from guys who want to be competing for a championship.

If you can get one of those guys, and maybe send Gio+Ryan the other way, you'll have a hecking D core

Kylington-Doughty
Valimaki-Andersson
Hanifin-Tanev

Valimaki-Karlsson
Kylington-Andersson
Hanifin-Tanev

As is that
Yikes. Are we also getting multiple (2 or 3) first round picks to compensate for taking on those terrible contracts?

Those are such risky moves banking on them only be struggling because of playing on weak teams.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Yikes. Are we also getting multiple (2 or 3) first round picks to compensate for taking on those terrible contracts?

Those are such risky moves banking on them only be struggling because of playing on weak teams.

I don't see it as risky. You're talking about true number one defensemen here. It's not as if they haven't been solid in the last few years, they've just been less-than-elite.

And the contracts aren't great, but you're underselling them. Both guys are still relatively young. Of course they won't be great contracts towards the end, just like Giordano's is no longer great. But you get the most out of them while they're still relatively prime aged.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I'd like to see us acquire Erik Karlsson or Drew Doughty, I think they both still have plenty left in the tank and could really elevate our roster.
Doughty maybe depending on the trade(I love for him and chucky to try and play on the same team)

Karlsson is so overpaid for the rest of time, I wouldn't take him at all.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019

Kylington-Doughty
Valimaki-Andersson
Hanifin-Tanev

Valimaki-Karlsson
Kylington-Andersson
Hanifin-Tanev

As is that
That's play a VERY risky game though, it's not like the Sharks and Kings aren't shooting for the playoffs this year--their division has 3 clear cut playoff teams and they have the power to alter that, but Doughty specifically is continuing his weak play. Then Karlsson has been having a tough time with the Sharks, though there can be some blame put on Vlasic melting down since his counting stats aren't bad with Ferraro/Simek. But then again, 3 assists through 10 games with poor defence is not a strong indicator of championship quality and I find using the "weak team" argument ignores that they should and would be the difference makers in their teams making the playoffs.

Then you look at the long-term cap implications of the move. You go from having; 6.75 in Giordano for 2 seasons and 3 mil for Ryan just for this season and you turn it into an 11 million dollar cap hit over the next 6 seasons? For an old, injured d-man who, even if they bounce back for a slight amount of time, would be an absolute anchor making almost double any other player on our roster? Instead we could just wait 2 seasons out, sign Giordano for cheap/let him walk completely and use the 10 million from Gio and Ryan to pursue a younger UFA d-man that would have greater longevity?

Reactions: Nanuuk

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I don't see it as risky. You're talking about true number one defensemen here. It's not as if they haven't been solid in the last few years, they've just been less-than-elite.

And the contracts aren't great, but you're underselling them. Both guys are still relatively young. Of course they won't be great contracts towards the end, just like Giordano's is no longer great. But you get the most out of them while they're still relatively prime aged.
11.5 and 11 for less than elite is not good. You better be getting elite for that much.

Unless SJS or LAK will retain significantly (they won’t) it’s no bueno

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
11.5 and 11 for less than elite is not good. You better be getting elite for that much.

Not to mention the full NMC's. 30+ year old players, that recently signed fat, fat retirement contracts, to struggling south Cali teams, aren't waiving to Calgary, even if it was worthwhile for us.

Last edited:

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

I would expect about 2.5M retained for either guy.

You gotta give to get, and these are elite talents. Former Norris trophy winners. Their value is low.

It's the kind of deal where you buy low and you get rewarded.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I'd like to see us acquire Erik Karlsson or Drew Doughty, I think they both still have plenty left in the tank and could really elevate our roster.

sure if they only had a couple of years left on those obscene contracts...
unfortunately they both have 6 years left on them and we are witnessing with Gio how fast a dmans game can go downhill.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
sure if they only had a couple of years left on those obscene contracts...
unfortunately they both have 6 years left on them and we are witnessing with Gio how fast a dmans game can go downhill.

The Flames will be rebuilding in 5-6 years anyways. Worrying about the tail end is kind of pointless.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Not to mention the full NMC's. 30+ year old players, that recently signed fat, fat retirement contracts, to struggling south Cali teams, aren't waiving to Calgary, even if it was worthwhile for us.
that too...if they accept a trade to Calgary there is no chance they waive for the expansion draft which means Hanafin or Andersson will have to be exposed.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I would expect about 2.5M retained for either guy.

You gotta give to get, and these are elite talents. Former Norris trophy winners. Their value is low.

It's the kind of deal where you buy low and you get rewarded.
That’s still very expensive. Giordano is a former Norris winner. Doesn’t mean he nor they are anymore.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
The Flames will be rebuilding in 5-6 years anyways. Worrying about the tail end is kind of pointless.
The Canucks are showing why you can't hand waive bad contracts with term just because of implications of rebuilding. When building through the draft the turnaround time of top picks making an impact is very quick. Canucks got Pettersson in 2017 and the bad contracts came back to bite them as soon as 2020. Sure, Doughty/Karlsson would be bad 5 years from now when the Flames might not be competitive, but say the Flames blow it up once Monahan/Gaudreau contracts expire and they are picking up top draft picks. 2023 the Flames get a top pick, that 2026 year their ELC expires the Flames would have another year of Karlsson on the books. That's 11.5 that we'd be looking at for other players.

And I'd also have to question just how much rebuilding the Flames would be doing 5 years from now. They have a young core in place with quite a few studs on the back-end, a starting goalie for the next 6 years + a promising goalie in the minors, and have depth prospects coming up to fill the holes on top of Zary/Pelletier being potential impact guys. Would the Flames really want to rebuild x years down the road with Andersson, Hanifin, Valimaki, Dube, Tkachuk, Lindholm, Mangiapane, Pelletier, Zary and others hopefully hitting their prime? Getting Karlsson/Doughty would limit our ability to sign those guys that keep us from rebuilding and would hurt more than they help thanks to their cap hits.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Maybe in a world where the cap doesn't exist. I can't see any realistic means of bringing them here without ruining our cap situation. Last thing we need is for Bennett to break out into an elite #1RW, and not have the cap space to sign him because we traded for Karlsson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad