Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2020-2021 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I guess the Ottawa one would be closest, but if memory serves, Fischer was traded almost a month before the deadline and the rest of the guys traded there mostly returned late picks as UFA rentals (Something I am advocating for).

That said, this is all from a decade+ ago already.
Yeah I just like browsing nhl trade history website, there's probably a few other examples but I think the 04 caps were the last huge fire sale and yeah it was pre cap. Although the biggest deadline days have all been post cap, the moves are insignificant

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Lindholm - 31 points - 44th in the league
Chucky - 28 ponits - 60th in league
Gaudreau - 27 points - 79th in league
Monahan - 23 poitns - 113th in the league (178th in goals)

If those are your top horses, you're not going to compete.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
The part that really annoys me is the absolute lack of heart from the big 4, like its safe to assume Chucky was told to dial it back (turning point of the season) but like everyone looks way way way too okay with losing. Break a stick, start a scrum. Monahan averages less than ONE HIT A GAME. As a #1 Center, thats just ridiculous, especially when youre not scoring. No passion. Trade em all.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I know Lindholm is probably one of the least likely to be traded, but what sort of payment would it take to get him to Colorado?

Would Burakovsky+++ get the ball rolling or is that not at all what the Flames would be looking for?

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I know Lindholm is probably one of the least likely to be traded, but what sort of payment would it take to get him to Colorado?

Would Burakovsky+++ get the ball rolling or is that not at all what the Flames would be looking for?

Very unlikely that Lindholm is traded. If he were the Flames would probably want young NHL players and maybe picks or to package him up for a better player. I don't think Burakovsky would be of any interest.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Very unlikely that Lindholm is traded. If he were the Flames would probably want young NHL players and maybe picks or to package him up for a better player. I don't think Burakovsky would be of any interest.

Thanks for the feedback, kinda what I figured.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
“1C’s” averaging less than 1 hit a game (and less than Monahan according to ESPN which has Monahan with 39 in 37):
- Pettersson
- Barzal
- Backstrom
- Point
- Malkin
- Scheifele
- Karlsson
- Barkov
- Eichel
- Giroux/Couturier
- McKinnon
- Draisaitl
- Crosby

Just saying that’s an odd horse to hitch your wagon to given hits have almost 0 correlation with winning.

Reactions: super6646

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
“1C’s” averaging less than 1 hit a game (and less than Monahan according to ESPN which has Monahan with 39 in 37):
- Pettersson
- Barzal
- Backstrom
- Point
- Malkin
- Scheifele
- Karlsson
- Barkov
- Eichel
- Giroux/Couturier
- McKinnon
- Draisaitl
- Crosby

Just saying that’s an odd horse to hitch your wagon to given hits have almost 0 correlation with winning.

Your 1C doesn’t need to hit.
He needs to be puck dominant.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Yeah I just like browsing nhl trade history website, there's probably a few other examples but I think the 04 caps were the last huge fire sale and yeah it was pre cap. Although the biggest deadline days have all been post cap, the moves are insignificant

Yeah, I think it’d be damn near impossible to move Mony and Backlund at the same deadline, plus move all the UFA’s, etc.

Just don’t think there’s a market for it.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Your 1C doesn’t need to hit.
He needs to be puck dominant.
Absolutely. I’m not sure anyone really “needs” to hit nowadays. It’s nice, but building a roster with that consideration is outdated. You don’t want to be pushed around and want to be hard to play against, but neither of those things can be measured by using hits. Speed, skill and compete are all harder to play against than hitting.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016

Lindholm for Burakovsky? Yup sure, right after the Gaudreau for Rantanen trade. I'll drive them all to the airport.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Absolutely. I’m not sure anyone really “needs” to hit nowadays. It’s nice, but building a roster with that consideration is outdated. You don’t want to be pushed around and want to be hard to play against, but neither of those things can be measured by using hits. Speed, skill and compete are all harder to play against than hitting.
There's something to be said for smashing the opposing D-corps in the playoffs, so they are warn out, but you can do that with speed anyway

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Pluses traditionally designate additional pieces of lesser value than the named piece. The idea that Burakovsky would be the foundation for Lindholm is a joke regardless of how many smaller bits are added on.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I can think of one poster that would fit that description.
If it's the same dude, he hated the Senators because they tanked in 1992 to draft Daigle; and because of that were never to be considered a legitimate franchise ever again.

Also, if it's the same dude; in 2013, like... you couldn't even post about getting a better draft position without you essentially being told that you weren't a real fan, that you should just become a fan of the Oil, that no self respecting fan ever chooses to cheer for loses. Like, outward vitriol. Also, God forbid you ever mentioned "I don't think we should be drafting Sean Monahan".

On the GDT I literally busted Dube Doo's balls about it :laugh:
My only real issue is losing on purpose, which is what Ottawa was allegedly doing and what other teams appeared to be trying really hard to do in the McDavid sweepstakes. Won't turn my nose up at a first overall pick - and this, with the Flames luck, would be the year they win the lotto.

If they can't win games despite their (best) efforts oh well...

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
My only real issue is losing on purpose, which is what Ottawa was allegedly doing and what other teams appeared to be trying really hard to do in the McDavid sweepstakes. Won't turn my nose up at a first overall pick - and this, with the Flames luck, would be the year they win the lotto.

If they can't win games despite their (best) efforts oh well...

I wasn't thinking of you, I was just messing with you last night haha.
I agree. The losing on purpose is also horrible. Like when you trade literally everything on the roster and have a 14-15 Sabres roster.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
:sarcasm:
- Pettersson
- Barzal
- Backstrom
- Point
- Malkin
- Scheifele
- Karlsson
- Barkov
- Eichel
- Giroux/Couturier
- McKinnon
- Draisaitl
- Crosby

he is a 4C so he has to hit :sarcasm:

Reactions: Ainsy01

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
There's something to be said for smashing the opposing D-corps in the playoffs, so they are warn out, but you can do that with speed anyway

You don't need your centre to do that anyway.
That's why you have plugs like Bennett in the lineup.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Retool plus Treliving modus operandi idea...

How desperate is Vancouver to shed cap this off season? Flames have some expiring and has some room. Canucks have demkos contract plus like 5-6 RFA.

Is it unreasonable to try and see if something like the following would be listened to?

Monahan + Valimaki for Petterssen + Roussell/Eriksson retained +?

Valimaki is ED exempt and helps fix/solidify the canucks top 4 for a long time. Horvat is basically Vancouver 1C so they just need Monahan to be their 2C. But the bigger aspect is the cap issues being fixed for next season.

Flames pay a very heavy price in Valimaki and Rousell/Eriksson but upgrade Monahan to a bona fide young 1C in Petterssen who needs a contract extension (hopefully long term). We might still suck enough for a shot at a high pick in 2022 but maybe not 2023.

Thoughts?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Retool plus Treliving modus operandi idea...

How desperate is Vancouver to shed cap this off season? Flames have some expiring and has some room. Canucks have demkos contract plus like 5-6 RFA.

Is it unreasonable to try and see if something like the following would be listened to?

Monahan + Valimaki for Petterssen + Roussell/Eriksson retained +?

Valimaki is ED exempt and helps fix/solidify the canucks top 4 for a long time. Horvat is basically Vancouver 1C so they just need Monahan to be their 2C. But the bigger aspect is the cap issues being fixed for next season.

Flames pay a very heavy price in Valimaki and Rousell/Eriksson but upgrade Monahan to a bona fide young 1C in Petterssen who needs a contract extension (hopefully long term). We might still suck enough for a shot at a high pick in 2022 but maybe not 2023.

Thoughts?

I heard benning is not very good but he is not that stupid

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Lindholm is honestly our best and most consistent forward currently. He is good offensively, solid defensively, it seems like he's usually skating harder than most others to me at least, and he can play centre or RW. Great contract. I'd consider moving him if we got a massive offer we couldn't refuse, but otherwise I keep him.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille