Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2020-2021 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I was on the Connor bandwagon for the 2015 draft for our pick. Just shows sometimes just reading/watching scouting reports at the keyboard can also be effective, lol. Home scouting, it should now be a thing with Covid.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
The hamonic trade was the absolute f up. he didn't look great before the trade, was a lot of Canadian boy hype, and then looked absolutely abysmal here. Almost completely spiked Hanafin's development too.

That was a huge unforced error by tre. Very possible that the isles still take dobson and we wind up with Wahlstrom there. Or Farabee. Or Denisenko. Or K'Andre Miller.

Yeah.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
The hamonic trade was the absolute f up. he didn't look great before the trade, was a lot of Canadian boy hype, and then looked absolutely abysmal here. Almost completely spiked Hanafin's development too.

That was a huge unforced error by tre. Very possible that the isles still take dobson and we wind up with Wahlstrom there. Or Farabee. Or Denisenko. Or K'Andre Miller.

Yeah.
I think a lot of us, myself included, had Hamilton coloured glasses in regards to that trade at the time. The first such deal had worked out so well (again, at the time). Islanders fans also wouldn’t say a single bad word about Hamonic either. It was easy to get caught up in thinking it was the perfect final piece for that backend.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
The Flyers are a mess. I'm sure they'd be willing trade partners this summer

Flyers have always felt like Flames East to me. Ranging from the star/non-super star talent to always being cursed goalie wise. I've always liked/felt empathy to them.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

Future Flame

This kid is going to be unreal. This guy is putting up first overall numbers if he was in this years draft class, except this is his f***ing D-2 year, minus f***ing two draft year. He still has two WHL seasons before being drafted. He leads the WHL in points as a 15 year old. Like, f*** man.

If the Flames management/ownership had any brains/guts they sell the core this off-season, keep only Mangiapane, Dube, and Tkachuk up front and try and go for Wright/Lambert in '22 and Bedard in '23. I mean it won't happen for a multitude of reasons (Markstrom alone will keep us from the basement, as will Sutter).

Use the damn "only 2 first overalls in 5 years" quota immediately. The '23 draft has a really good Ruskie too.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
What's the plus on Monahan for Laine? (Assuming Laine isn't staying in CBJ)

Both guys with falling prices so no idea where the price will settle at. Obvious risks/cons for both orgs.

Flames Pros:
- RHS top 6
- Price to acquire might be right (Gamestonk! RFA negotiation discount)
- RFA (Treliving magic excite w/ pandemic cap pressures and possibly term to his contract at those good AAV)
- Acquiring him might help for the goal scoring issues under Sutter
- Pieces moved may mean we benefit expansion draft wise and the tank isn't badly hurt by his acquisition.
- Seems like a good fit even with his flaws. We have good set up guys for his sniper shot.

CBJ Pros (Monahan):
- Centreman/they have excess wingers
- 2.5 more seasons/avoid RFA negotiations
- Cap is close

I'd also be curious about Domi. I think if we do a quantity for quality trade to CBJ we are doing great.

But I also recall that CBJ may prefer Backlund to Monahan (mentioned by their fans). If that's the case, what's the plus on Backlund for Laine? Potential roster pieces I'm thinking of CBJ wanting to include in the deal are possibly like Bennett, Mangiapane before balancing the value with futures.

The only guy I don't want to move for Laine mix wise is Lindholm. We need to keep top 6 RHS.

Thoughts?

Also, what other RFA are out there needing a new contract that might shake free? That contract state is always music to Treliving's ears.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Boston seeming eager to get rid of Hamilton should have been a red flag. I remember the fan rationale being that there was a lower chance of the picks we sent panning out into someone of Hamilton's calibre. I guess that was proven right because of Boston's awful draft but imagine if we had Chabot taking the reins from Gio this season

Also the Canes leaned on Hamilton hard and Fox still didn't want to sign with Carolina

How can you say there was a red flag with a straight face when Hamilton was ultimately moved for similar type assets?

Hamilton stalemated with Boston over contract.

He was moved for two players who stale mated over contract in Hanifin and Lindholm.

Treliving loves RFA negotiations. Laine might literally be the most logical move that happens next based purely on this type of track record alone. Whether Laine has a personality that's a problem in Calgary's locker room like Hamilton thus we should stay away is a different argument.

Calgary was rumored to go with Chabot if not trading for Hamilton. Calgary also had a ton of second rounders that draft. Maybe we package and trade up. But I doubt we do better by drafting more in that second round. We got the best pieces in the late second. We'd need to target the late first and early second to improve in between there.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

Both guys with falling prices so no idea where the price will settle at. Obvious risks/cons for both orgs.

Flames Pros:
- RHS top 6
- Price to acquire might be right (Gamestonk! RFA negotiation discount)
- RFA (Treliving magic excite w/ pandemic cap pressures and possibly term to his contract at those good AAV)
- Acquiring him might help for the goal scoring issues under Sutter
- Pieces moved may mean we benefit expansion draft wise and the tank isn't badly hurt by his acquisition.
- Seems like a good fit even with his flaws. We have good set up guys for his sniper shot.

CBJ Pros (Monahan):
- Centreman/they have excess wingers
- 2.5 more seasons/avoid RFA negotiations
- Cap is close

I'd also be curious about Domi. I think if we do a quantity for quality trade to CBJ we are doing great.

But I also recall that CBJ may prefer Backlund to Monahan (mentioned by their fans). If that's the case, what's the plus on Backlund for Laine? Potential roster pieces I'm thinking of CBJ wanting to include in the deal are possibly like Bennett, Mangiapane before balancing the value with futures.

The only guy I don't want to move for Laine mix wise is Lindholm. We need to keep top 6 RHS.

Thoughts?

Also, what other RFA are out there needing a new contract that might shake free? That contract state is always music to Treliving's ears.
I'd trade Monahan, Backlund and Bennett for Laine if they asked for it.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Laine is my buy low candidate with Monahan as a centerpiece but would need to know Laine's contract expectations though. If they are sky high then I don't think he is worth much more than Monahan.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'd trade Monahan, Backlund and Bennett for Laine if they asked for it.

I was thinking Laine + Nash for Monahan + Backlund + X

Nash can be bottom 6 C. If we move Bennett which is yet another C, how bad are we looking down the middle with Lindholm, Ryan and Nash as our 3?

We'd be pretty set for expansion draft purposes though.

Laine is my buy low candidate with Monahan as a centerpiece but would need to know Laine's contract expectations though. If they are sky high then I don't think he is worth much more than Monahan.

Laine makes less than Tkachuk right now with a 6.75 AAV. I think there's a possibility to strong arm him into a Gio special, or even a Tkchuck ceiling cap hit with 4+ seasons of term?

If he sits out, oh well, but I wouldn't cave to his demands. It's a flat cap. He'd basically blackball himself with other teams if he did that in the current environment and his poor play.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I was thinking Laine + Nash for Monahan + Backlund + X

Nash can be bottom 6 C. If we move Bennett which is yet another C, how bad are we looking down the middle with Lindholm, Ryan and Nash as our 3?

We'd be pretty set for expansion draft purposes though.

Laine makes less than Tkachuk right now with a 6.75 AAV. I think there's a possibility to strong arm him into a Gio special, or even a Tkchuck ceiling cap hit with 4+ seasons of term?

If he sits out, oh well, but I wouldn't cave to his demands. It's a flat cap. He'd basically blackball himself with other teams if he did that in the current environment and his poor play.
What is Laine's QO?
Either way centre would be fine. Nash is a Sutter type player. Ryan's talents are limited but he's versatile enough to be a Sutter 2C

Bond

May 10, 2012
What is Laine's QO?
Either way centre would be fine. Nash is a Sutter type player. Ryan's talents are limited but he's versatile enough to be a Sutter 2C
Makes 7.5 in the second year. So could force the 8.25 contract and walk. Legitimate risk with Laine he forces a contract and goes UFA if he doesn't want to be in Calgary. Same with Tkachuk really.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
What about something like this:

To Philly:
- Johnny Gaudreau
- Mikael Backlund
- David Rittich
- 2nd Round 2022

To Calgary:
- Nolan Patrick
- Joel Farabee
- Felix Sandstrom
- 1st Round 2021

How crazy is this? Salary could be retained to make it work

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
I started with:

Johnny + 2nd = Patrick + Farabee
Backlund = 1st Round Pick
Rittich = Sandstrom

IDK, it could use some balancing.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Pretty good value, if anything prob too expensive for Philly and not enough cap coming back our way considering Farabee and Johnny are producing the same this year and Farabee is much younger and cheaper and under team control for much longer, not to mention the lottery 1st. If Philly were open we’d have to consider it but I doubt they’d push hard for Backlund given age and contract, and with Johnny only having 1 year left it’s pretty risky and shortsighted. However it is likely Gaudreau would be open to re-signing in Philly so we’d have to consider it and this may be the best offer we’d get

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Pretty good value, if anything prob too expensive for Philly and not enough cap coming back our way considering Farabee and Johnny are producing the same this year and Farabee is much younger and cheaper and under team control for much longer, not to mention the lottery 1st. If Philly were open we’d have to consider it but I doubt they’d push hard for Backlund given age and contract, and with Johnny only having 1 year left it’s pretty risky and shortsighted. However it is likely Gaudreau would be open to re-signing in Philly so we’d have to consider it and this may be the best offer we’d get
I agree on the $$'s maybe not working:

To Philly:
- Johnny Gaudreau
- 4th Round 2022

To Calgary:
- Nolan Patrick
- Ghost
- Felix Sandstrom
- 1st Round 2021

Basically I took out Backlund, Rittich and downgraded the 2nd to 4th and took out Farabee which should make the deal more even

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I don’t see the point in acquiring Laine unless we have a good center to play with him. He doesn’t seem like the line driving type

Reactions: InfinityIggy

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013

To Philly:
- Johnny Gaudreau
- 4th Round 2022

To Calgary:
- Nolan Patrick
- Ghost
- Felix Sandstrom
- 1st Round 2021

Basically I took out Backlund, Rittich and downgraded the 2nd to 4th and took out Farabee which should make the deal more even
Ya this is definitely something I’d consider. The lottery 1st is huge for me. I don’t know if this would be the best package we get anymore tho, just cause Patrick has really struggled and Ghost’s contract is way too big. Still definitely worthwhile to consider but I may look at other offers for 1st+prospect and maybe a lesser/ shorter term cap dump

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I don’t think you get a ridiculous package unless you’re acquiring a cap dump++ for Gaudreau. That’s the only way we can get an unprotected pick/top prospect. Cap space is the new currency. So we should be looking for teams that have a cap dump that expired in 1-2 years. We could do the same with Gio.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

To Philly:
- Johnny Gaudreau
- 4th Round 2022

To Calgary:
- Nolan Patrick
- Ghost
- Felix Sandstrom
- 1st Round 2021

I don’t know, I am kinda tired of dealing with bust after waiting 6 yrs on Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad