Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2019/20 Season Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Does Brady Austin(6'3'', 232lb D-man, 26) have a path back to the NHL? Lead Kladno in goals and points this season, 43 pts in 52 games.

Last edited:

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Ok. And now for something entirely heretic.

Would you trade Matthew Tkachuk and Doc Ryan to Buffalo for Jack Eichel and a 2nd? I included Ryan to more or less balance out the cap hit and send a C back in return. Tkachuk will still be an RFA at the end of his contract in 2021-22 and Eichel is signed until 2025-26.

Calgary has strength at LW with Gaudreau, Mangiapane, Dube, Bennett, Lucic and yes it would hurt parting with our future captain and power forward, but...

We'd have strength down the middle with Eichel, Monahan, Backlund, Jankowksi, and Gawdin. More if the Flames develop Dube or Bennett at C.

Not enough for Buffalo?

Edit: I floated this heretical idea, because I don't think Buffalo would have an interest in Monahan. They'd be more likely to bite on a bigger fish.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

Would you trade Matthew Tkachuk and Doc Ryan to Buffalo for Jack Eichel and a 2nd? I included Ryan to more or less balance out the cap hit and send a C back in return. Tkachuk will still be an RFA at the end of his contract in 2021-22 and Eichel is signed until 2025-26.

Calgary has strength at LW with Gaudreau, Mangiapane, Dube, Bennett, Lucic and yes it would hurt parting with our future captain and power forward, but...

We'd have strength down the middle with Eichel, Monahan, Backlund, Jankowksi, and Gawdin. More if the Flames develop Dube or Bennett at C.

Not enough for Buffalo?

Edit: I floated this heretical idea, because I don't think Buffalo would have an interest in Monahan. They'd be more likely to bite on a bigger fish.

Why is Buffalo giving a 2nd? We need to add a 1st and Hanifin.

Reactions: super6646

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary

Not enough for Buffalo?

Not sure Buffalo gets enough here. As much as we love Matty (or I do), this might not be enough in their minds. Eichel is a stud - so I think we'd need to add like a 1st or a young D to entice them.

I do love Eichel though - so it's tempting. Matty is the future Captain in my mind - but man, Eichel is a top player for the next decade+

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Why is Buffalo giving a 2nd? We need to add a 1st and Hanifin.
I was thinking a return for Ryan. Ok. Drop the pick coming back. Do you think trading a 22 year old power winger and a pretty good 3C is enough for a 23 year old 1C?

Edit: Or do we broaden the deal and add D prospect, .e.g. Valimaki (remember I'm talking a heretical deal!) for a Cozens? Or Risto?

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I was thinking a return for Ryan. Ok. Drop the pick coming back. Do you think trading a 22 year old power winger and a pretty good 3C is enough for a 23 year old 1C?

Edit: Or do we broaden the deal and add D prospect, .e.g. Valimaki (remember I'm talking a heretical deal!) for a Cozens? Or Risto?
I'd figure for this to work thing end up along the lines of Tkachuk + Hanifin + 1st would get them real enticed, but that's without anything coming back and I can't see the Flames getting anything extra out of an Eichel deal, at least not a Cozens level prospect

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I would just keep Gaudreau and run down his contract at this point. COVID has turned the offseason into even more of a buyers market so I don't think it's worth trading him. Tkachuk isn't good enough to be our #1LW yet
If, a big if, Flames are looking to move on from Johnny Little Hockey, I would strongly consider offering Sean Monahan with him to Ottawa for:
LW/C Brady Tkachuk, young upcoming Center ( with size and puck savvy, play-making to prove) Logan Brown, and RW/C Drake Batherson, with Prospect LW/ Vitaly Abramov. We could throw in Mark "Shanker" Jankowski too!
I am actually very serious and could grove on the "potential" this Kind of package could evolve into for Flames.
Don't know if Ottawa would move on from youth potential but would get 2 top players who play well together, in the prime of their careers. Would certainly up Ottawa's compete level,right away.
I think Flames could survive this and actually evolve quite nicely.
Brady could Center bro Matthew and Lindy on the right side.
Backline could Center Mangy and Rookie Drake Batherson, or Glenn Gawdin on right side.
Dube could Center Bennett and Derek Ryan on the right side.
Round out with Rookie newbie Logan Brown Centering Looch and Gawdin or Rookie V Abramov or Adam Ruziscka or Buddy Robinson on Right wing.
The Tkachuk-trucks with Lindy could be an awesome new-look, in-your-face kind of top line!!
Imagine Brady & Matty crashing, banging, breaking out, scoring, buggering and chastising opponents together!!! Would make us move on from Mony-Johnny highlights a missing pretty solidly.

Last edited:

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Monahan
Hanifin
First 2020
Pelletier
Zavgo/Pospisil/Ruzicka

for Eichel

gotta get that #1C

Wow. That's a full-package offer for a singular star.
What would Flames look like now:
Johnny Hockey-Jack Eichel-hmmm a"RW'er"?Maybe Rookie G Gawdin?
AMangy-Backsman-Lindy
Lucic-Ryan- Bennett
??Lw-DillonDube-Eetu Tuuloa(Rookie) or Matthew Phillips(R) or Adam
Ruzicka (R) or Buddy Robinson (R)
Johnny would have to be on his game again Eichel would likely double-shift all over the place. Kinda of crazy?? In my opinion but...?

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Pretty much. Some people still think coots could be had for him lmfao.

Reality is Calgary is in a very precarious spot with this core. Not enough high end assets but too good to tank. Also the potential for Tkachuk to be a ufa a year after Gaudreau brings about the total nightmare scenario for flames fans.

If Gaudreau is out I’d dump Monahan ASAP. The limited sample size away from him has largely been disasterous, and he sure as hell cannot carry wingers less capable than him.
I wonder if Montreal would part with Gallagher and either Caufield or Ryan Poehling for Johnny?
Imagine Tkachuk and Gallagher pissingoff other team's stars, nightly!

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
AMangy-Backsman-Lindy
Lucic-Ryan- Bennett
Johnny would have to be on his game again Eichel would likely double-shift all over the place. Kinda of crazy?? In my opinion but...?
U forgot that Tkachuk guy. Honestly Eichel and JG don't even work that we'll tgt, play Eichel with Tkachuk and have Lindholm and Backlund with JG. Gives 2 legit scoring lines.

Reactions: GumbyCan2

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
What? Ridiculous. Tkachuk was hands down our best forward this year.

Trading Johnny is imperative if we lose again IMO. Running down his contract is the most asinine thing I have ever heard. If we don't have playoff success this season, the odds of Gaudreau resigning slip to nil. At that point we have to maximize that asset's value to this franchise.

Gaudreau has a value contract relative to his production. He'll have 1 more year left at that rate. He has plenty of value, especially to a team who believes they would have a good shot at retaining him. I'm still eyeing buffalo (looking to make Eichel happy, has plenty of pieces) or NJ (ownership wants results on a quicker timeline than bottom feeding allows) as good candidates. Both have a strong shot at retaining Gaudreau post contract as well.

From Buffalo I would want the package to be around Cozens. Using the Niewendyk trade as an example, I would look for Cozens+Montour for Gaudreau.

NJ is a bit more difficult. They have 3 1st round picks though. I would ask them for two of those, and Zacha. Alternately, I would be very interested in Hughes+ Subban for Gaudreau
Hughes is probably only available for Mony & Gaudreau! Way too much for not enough return, even if Hughes turns into Eichel#2 and Patrick Kane level career.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
All of these are pretty bad and the whole situation is kinda depressing...
We were so close around 3 years ago...we just needed Johnny & Monny to play like allstars, Bennett to step up, Dougie to be more consistent, and goaltending.
I don't even know if we can say we got 1 out of 4. But hey, Gio stepped up!

I think you stand pat with what you have for 1 more playoff, if J & M play uninspired again ship them out for as many futures as possible and rebuild.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Instead of core players, what about support players?

Is there some combo of Bennett/Mangiapane/Janko/futures that makes sense for targeting someone like Risto or Montour? This helps Buffalo up front, reduces a slight forward logjam/LW logjam for us and upgrades our d depth + RD + options away from Brodie and Hamonic if that's what direction we are heading at.

The question is whether it is problematic from an expansion POV.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
AMangy-Backsman-Lindy
Lucic-Ryan- Bennett

You forgot Tkachuk and then you play Lindy with Gaudreau and Eichel. The bottom six would include Dube, D. Ryan, Bennett, Gawdin, Lucic, and then a few cheap UFAs... Ronaldo, Reider maybe, I think there will be a lot available this year because of the cap pinches some teams are in with the cap. I think Phillips can come in and play the odd game in the top 6 if there is an injury. I think our depth is underrated, while it is a huge cost I think it would make us almost impossible to match up against, plus I think it makes Gaudreau seriously consider staying long term. We would need to start re-stocking D prospects but hopefully Kinvall or Mackey turns out to be a gem.
Gaudreau-Eichel-Lindholm
Mangiapane-Backlund-Tkachuk
Lucic-Ryan-Dube
Ronaldo/Reider-Bennett-Gawdin

Gio Brodie
Valimaki Andersson
Kylington Forbot
Mackey- UFA Vet

I think the best option is trading Monahan for 8th overall + from Buffalo. We would get two top prospects in this draft and I think we might have a player, Dillon Dube, who would thrive in a top six role. It also could give us cap to sign Lehner, Pietrangelo or Hall who would have similar impacts to Monahan. Our chances would actually be really good because most teams with cap space this year are complete disasters.

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Hall
Mangiapane-Backlund-Tkachuk
Lucic-Ryan-Dube
UFA-Bennett-Gawdin
Ronaldo

callup: Phillips

Gio-Brodie
Valimaki-Andersson
Kylington-Hanifin

Rittich/Talbot

And I think we would have one of the better prospect pools in the league with: Pelletier, 8th overall, 10th-16th overall, Valimaki, Kinvall, Mackey, Pettersen, Phillips, Zavgorodniy, Gawdin, Ruzicka, 2nd rounder so we could keep adding cheap talent for the next 4-5 years while the team is in it's prime. Plus it just gives us a different look if we fail to take that next step again.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Instead of core players, what about support players?

Is there some combo of Bennett/Mangiapane/Janko/futures that makes sense for targeting someone like Risto or Montour? This helps Buffalo up front, reduces a slight forward logjam/LW logjam for us and upgrades our d depth + RD + options away from Brodie and Hamonic if that's what direction we are heading at.

The question is whether it is problematic from an expansion POV.

I'm still hoping on Bennett, but I would do that combo for Risto.
Is Montour really an equal to Risto? RR's value seems like its at an all time low, there's been all kinds of threads about all year. Don't know much from this year, but I still remember that WJC he dominated and he's had some good years. He provides that big RH shot, phyical (can be more physical for sure) mobile guy that we are in need of.
I think he just needs a change and he'll be a top guy again. Pair him with Hanifin as our future top pair.

Khrox

May 31, 2018

I don't hate this idea, but I don't like it either. Bennett is almost certainly worth more to us as a team than he is as a trade piece. And Mangi is really starting to step up, even as a left shot RW (whether it's because he's playing with Backs and Tkachuk, or if he's just actually coming into his own is a different story. But regardless, he's the best fit we have for that line). You'd almost have to see whether Janko+Young player (Dube/Ruzicka/etc..) could get us a better support piece instead.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
In no way do I want to touch Ristolainen from the Sabres. I don't see value in him even for someone like Bennett. Montour is a maybe, I don't know him that well, but anyone considering Ristolainen as someone to trade for needs to check themselves.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The problem with Ristolainen is his usage. He's no worse than someone like Tyson Barrie

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
If Calgary wanted Eichel, it would take...

Tkachuk
Monahan
Andersson

For

Jack Eichel
Not really though? Has any superstar gotten two top line players and a mid/top pairing defensemen with big upside? If that's what it takes no one is getting Eichel (Which is realistic, but this isn't even an offer Botteril could throw out as a joke)

Reactions: Foo Fighter

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
In no way do I want to touch Ristolainen from the Sabres. I don't see value in him even for someone like Bennett. Montour is a maybe, I don't know him that well, but anyone considering Ristolainen as someone to trade for needs to check themselves.

My brain is just fine TYVM. I'm looking at it as a potential minute muncher RD on the 2nd line in a future without Brodie and Hamonic. I view him as being the embodiment of all the best and worst things of both Brodie and Hamonic combined. Who wouldn't love that? Why lose that riverboat gambler aspect just because Brodie is gone?

Reactions: Foo Fighter
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad