Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2019/20 Season Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Pretty much. Some people still think coots could be had for him lmfao.

Reality is Calgary is in a very precarious spot with this core. Not enough high end assets but too good to tank. Also the potential for Tkachuk to be a ufa a year after Gaudreau brings about the total nightmare scenario for flames fans.

If Gaudreau is out I’d dump Monahan ASAP. The limited sample size away from him has largely been disasterous, and he sure as hell cannot carry wingers less capable than him.

I’ll say this about Chucky though... every indication I’ve gotten from him ( through pressers after he signed here, his reaction when he got drafted by us according to that one podcast, and his overall demeanour) is that he is a loyal type of guy and would re-sign here no problem even if we were ass. Doesn’t hurt that he’s the front runner for captaincy after Gio retires ( which could happen by the time Chuckys contract is up).

As for this post season format- if we lose to the f***ing jets in a five game series just send Ward packing and hire a real coach please. Actually do that regardless, the amount of coaching talent available is unreal right now.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
You can believe that. After his down season that's the return we're looking at IMO. Slightly higher than Hall but probably similar to what Kessel got, he's a small winger who has 2 years left on his contract. Kessel still had value and there was retention on his 7 year contract.

Panarin returned Saad.
Hall returned Larsson lol and then returned some prospects a 1st and a conditional (1st)?
Kessel returned a first and Kapanen.

Those are the comparable trades. We aren't going to get a kings ransom, for a small winger coming off the worst season of his career.
Panarin was was purely for cap purposes, at the time he was still consider a side kick of Kane so there was still question marks.
Hall for Larsson.... Let just not talk about the abomination this is.
2nd hall trade is the most comparable because he's the only player of similar caliber at the time of trade, and he's a pending ufa, 1st+ ex 1st rounder (merkly) who is probably around the value of kylington?+recent 2nd round+3rd rounder+another prospect. Gaudreau has 2 yrs left why are we expecting similar value.
Kessel had a no trade, was an inferior player and tbh leafs didn't get much. Jordan staal got more somehow

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Panarin was was purely for cap purposes, at the time he was still consider a side kick of Kane so there was still question marks.
Hall for Larsson.... Let just not talk about the abomination this is.
2nd hall trade is the most comparable because he's the only player of similar caliber at the time of trade, and he's a pending ufa, 1st+ ex 1st rounder (merkly) who is probably around the value of kylington?+recent 2nd round+3rd rounder+another prospect. Gaudreau has 2 yrs left why are we expecting similar value.
Kessel had a no trade, was an inferior player and tbh leafs didn't get much. Jordan staal got more somehow

I don't think the value climbs up a tonne just because of the extra year, it will be slightly better than the Hall package (Merkley was drafted in 2015 his value was a 3rd maybe at the time of the trade) but it's not going to be a great package, this season has really hurt his value. Maybe we will get one of these crazy packages worth 2-3 1sts and a middle six player but I'm not holding my breath. I like Gaudreau I just can't see a team trading that much for a smaller winger.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Lmao some of CP is going to be so mad if Gaudreau gets traded. They're expecting insane value, if it happens it'll be either a 1 for 1 swap or more likely a meager package of picks like the (Toronto to Pittsburgh) Kessell trade or the recent Hall trade.

Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community - View Single Post - 2019/2020 Trade Speculation and Rumors

Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community - View Single Post - 2019/2020 Trade Speculation and Rumors

LOL

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I would just keep Gaudreau and run down his contract at this point. COVID has turned the offseason into even more of a buyers market so I don't think it's worth trading him. Tkachuk isn't good enough to be our #1LW yet

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
I don't think the value climbs up a tonne just because of the extra year, it will be slightly better than the Hall package (Merkley was drafted in 2015 his value was a 3rd maybe at the time of the trade) but it's not going to be a great package, this season has really hurt his value. Maybe we will get one of these crazy packages worth 2-3 1sts and a middle six player but I'm not holding my breath. I like Gaudreau I just can't see a team trading that much for a smaller winger.
Agree to disagree on the term then, I think it's a huge deal, less than 7mill on a ppg winger is an absolute bargain. I mean look what terms got hamonic

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I would just keep Gaudreau and I run down his contract at this point. COVID has turned the offseason into even more of a buyers market so I don't think it's worth trading him. Tkachuk isn't good enough to be our #1LW yet

What? Ridiculous. Tkachuk was hands down our best forward this year.

Trading Johnny is imperative if we lose again IMO. Running down his contract is the most asinine thing I have ever heard. If we don't have playoff success this season, the odds of Gaudreau resigning slip to nil. At that point we have to maximize that asset's value to this franchise.

Gaudreau has a value contract relative to his production. He'll have 1 more year left at that rate. He has plenty of value, especially to a team who believes they would have a good shot at retaining him. I'm still eyeing buffalo (looking to make Eichel happy, has plenty of pieces) or NJ (ownership wants results on a quicker timeline than bottom feeding allows) as good candidates. Both have a strong shot at retaining Gaudreau post contract as well.

From Buffalo I would want the package to be around Cozens. Using the Niewendyk trade as an example, I would look for Cozens+Montour for Gaudreau.

NJ is a bit more difficult. They have 3 1st round picks though. I would ask them for two of those, and Zacha. Alternately, I would be very interested in Hughes+ Subban for Gaudreau

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
What? Ridiculous. Tkachuk was hands down our best forward this year.

Trading Johnny is imperative if we lose again IMO. Running down his contract is the most asinine thing I have ever heard. If we don't have playoff success this season, the odds of Gaudreau resigning slip to nil. At that point we have to maximize that asset's value to this franchise.

Gaudreau has a value contract relative to his production. He'll have 1 more year left at that rate. He has plenty of value, especially to a team who believes they would have a good shot at retaining him. I'm still eyeing buffalo (looking to make Eichel happy, has plenty of pieces) or NJ (ownership wants results on a quicker timeline than bottom feeding allows) as good candidates. Both have a strong shot at retaining Gaudreau post contract as well.

From Buffalo I would want the package to be around Cozens. Using the Niewendyk trade as an example, I would look for Cozens+Montour for Gaudreau.

NJ is a bit more difficult. They have 3 1st round picks though. I would ask them for two of those, and Zacha. Alternately, I would be very interested in Hughes+ Subban for Gaudreau
I've pretty much been the only one here warning people that Gaudreau will likely be traded in the 2020 offseason for years now lol.

I disagree on Tkachuk. Lindholm has been our best forward this season by a longshot, and Backlund's peak was much higher than what anyone else did. I still love Tkachuk and think he's the team's future captain but I've started to cool off on my hype for him after the past two seasons. I think the Corey Perry comparisons are a little too accurate in that he'll never be the team's biggest offensive threat but a needed 2nd punch. And I'm still waiting on him to stop disappearing in the playoffs

When it comes to Gaudreau, I'd rather just see if we can re-sign him at this point. His contract structure makes him a pure rental and this offseason will be a total clusterf*** across the entire league. I'd really only trade Gaudreau if we're guaranteed to get a big name back. A PK Subban that is closer to retirement than the Norris trophy conversation would be the most Calgary Flames trade of all time.

Dubois, Aho, Barzal. Those are the only three names I care about. And we have the assets to get it done on top of Gaudreau but no one does blockbuster trades anymore

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I've pretty much been the only one here warning people that Gaudreau will likely be traded in the 2020 offseason for years now lol.

I disagree on Tkachuk. Lindholm has been our best forward this season by a longshot, and Backlund's peak was much higher than what anyone else did. I still love Tkachuk and think he's the team's future captain but I've started to cool off on my hype for him after the past two seasons. I think the Corey Perry comparisons are a little too accurate in that he'll never be the team's biggest offensive threat but a needed 2nd punch. And I'm still waiting on him to stop disappearing in the playoffs

When it comes to Gaudreau, I'd rather just see if we can re-sign him at this point. His contract structure makes him a pure rental and this offseason will be a total clusterf*** across the entire league. I'd really only trade Gaudreau if we're guaranteed to get a big name back. A PK Subban that is closer to retirement than the Norris trophy conversation would be the most Calgary Flames trade of all time.

Dubois, Aho, Barzal. Those are the only three names I care about. And we have the assets to get it done on top of Gaudreau but no one does blockbuster trades anymore
I've been beating the Barzal drum, but everyone seems deadset on believing Lou wouldn't trade him for anything.

Gaudreau+Monahan for Barzal + Eberle?

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I highly doubt Barzal or any of those guys (especially Aho he just re-signed) are moved. I don't think even Lou is dumb and stubborn enough to move on from a 22 year old #1 center.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Would winning the lottery ( and Lafreniere) guarantee a Gaudreau trade? We could then run a Tkachuk-Lafreniere LW in top 2 and also have Mangiapane, Dube and Bennett to play on that side as well if needed.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Place me in front of the firing range.

Monahan for Gallagher+ and conditions on Gallagher re-signing. Yea or nay? Also wonder if targeting Suzuki is a good idea, so Monahan+ for Gallagher+ conditions + Suzuki?

Montreal needs a better C option so Kotka isn't carrying a crazy burden?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Would winning the lottery ( and Lafreniere) guarantee a Gaudreau trade? We could then run a Tkachuk-Lafreniere LW in top 2 and also have Mangiapane, Dube and Bennett to play on that side as well if needed.
Things I'd do before trading Gaudreau in this situation:
Trade down and pick Byfield (probably good return)
Trade further down and pick Holtz (probably outstanding return)
Play Gaudreau or Tkachuk on RW

Reactions: Janks and Fig

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
If we somehow get Lafreniere we should try and build around him more instead of selling off. Out of Tkachuk, Gaudreau, and Laf surely one of them could play the other side. I don't see how we can get a top talent in the league and then trade our other best player instead of adding onto them. Trading Gaudreau isn't suddenly gonna get us another Gaudreau

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I'd keep Gaudreau for another season, see if we have any playoff success with 4 top end wingers (Gaudreau, Laf, Lindholm, and Tkachuk). Also ask Gaudreau if he is willing to extend if there is success. If not, I would just trade Johnny with a year left and hope a team bites on trading for him and then paying money to also be able to extend Johnny.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Place me in front of the firing range.

Monahan for Gallagher+ and conditions on Gallagher re-signing. Yea or nay? Also wonder if targeting Suzuki is a good idea, so Monahan+ for Gallagher+ conditions + Suzuki?

Montreal needs a better C option so Kotka isn't carrying a crazy burden?

I like this idea but the fact is if we're trading Money we need a centre coming back. While he's not the 1C we need, he still fills important minutes and is honestly not bad for what he is.

I'd be more interested in packaging him for someone like say...Eichel :naughty:

Khrox

May 31, 2018
If Eichel was available man oh man...
That would be amazing. The problem is, that would also likely be Gaudreau, Monahan, One of Vali/Kyl/Ras, and most likely this years 1st. And even that might not get it done.

I love Monahan, but if we could get Eichel for Gaudreau/Monahan+2021 First, I'd absolutely do it

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
If Eichel is available (if he demanded a trade) and the Flames had Monahan on the table for him, I can say with 100% certainty that the Flames would land Eichel.

No other team can offer up a similar center to replace Eichel who is still relatively young. Sure the Flames would still need to add (not f***ing Gaudreau), but so many star players are traded for f*** all and Monahan would be a huge piece in one of these trades, arguably the biggest that was outside the 1 for 1's like the Edmonton Hall trade and the original PK Subban trade.

Buffalo won't trade him though no matter if he demanded a trade, it be stupid, unless Eichel just legitimately said he would not play.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Much ado about nothing. A star player being unhappy after several years of losing heavily is the status quo, not a newsworthy anomaly.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I learned my lesson about running top-line players out of town and thinking it will help after we traded Regehr and got immediately worse on defence. This along with the fact that playoff-based labels on individuals such as "clutch" and "choker" are almost always shown to be fallacious in time puts me firmly on the side that you don't trade stars unless it is for upgrades, to launch a rebuild or because they refuse to re-sign.

Any argument that this team needs a rebuild would also apply to about 20 teams in the league, so unless someone is bizarrely going to offer us a superstar for a package, we should hold onto Gaudreau and do our best to build a solid team with him on it.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
If Eichel was available man oh man...

Been thinking about this all freaking day.

I'd give a lot up for him.

Either him or Barzal. Barzal's speed would be pretty useful too. Seeing McDavid and MacKinnon skate in circles around our defense sucks, would be nice to have someone like that for a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad