Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2019/20 Season Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Hasn't Tkachuk been playing exclusively RW since Ward took over?

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The Flames aren't very good when it comes to keeping potential roster moves under wraps. Whether that's deliberate or not, who knows (I could honestly see Conroy being Treliving's go-to guy that leaks things to the press)?

There's been a lot of smoke surrounding a large move (or two) to break up this core in the summer. And it's also been known that Treliving likes big-game hunting and pursued Hall heavily prior to his trade

Flames fans might as well brace themselves and prepare for something to happen around draft day and July 1st. Chances are the remaining 14 games + potential playoffs are the last time we see guys like Gaudreau, Hanifin, Brodie, and to a lesser extent Monahan in a Flames jersey. It's not really a matter of ifs anymore

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
The Flames aren't very good when it comes to keeping potential roster moves under wraps. Whether that's deliberate or not, who knows (I could honestly see Conroy being Treliving's go-to guy that leaks things to the press)?

There's been a lot of smoke surrounding a large move (or two) to break up this core in the summer. And it's also been known that Treliving likes big-game hunting and pursued Hall heavily prior to his trade

Flames fans might as well brace themselves and prepare for something to happen around draft day and July 1st. Chances are the remaining 14 games + potential playoffs are the last time we see guys like Gaudreau, Hanifin, Brodie, and to a lesser extent Monahan in a Flames jersey. It's not really a matter of ifs anymore

I feel like the Flames keep their cards close to their chest.

Also how this team does in the playoffs will play a big part with what happens with this core. Also the GM of this team will be on the hot seat, if he can't get a major trade materialize, than Brad Trevling is most likely gone.

Last edited:

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Maybe. Everything has its best before due date. The question for Tre is whether tinkering around the edges will put the Flames over the top. Or can a different coaching staff get more out of the current group? I suspect a little of both, but it is clear some changes will have to be made.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Maybe. Everything has its best before due date. The question for Tre is whether tinkering around the edges will put the Flames over the top. Or can a different coaching staff get more out of the current group? I suspect a little of both, but it is clear some changes will have to be made.

Tinkering around the edges won't do any good.

The next has to be someone with a pedigree, some like Peter Laviolette or Gerard Gallant.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta

The next has to be someone with a pedigree, some like Peter Laviolette or Gerard Gallant.
Oh I agree wholeheartedly. In a perfect world I wouldn't mind seeing Ward get a chance to put his own stamp on things, but time is a wasting here with the current core. Its produce or else time with this group. Look at the difference Tippett has made in Edmonton. A Laviolette or Gallant could make a big difference.

Reactions: viper0220

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

I agree. The Flames need a coach that's a proven winner and won't put up with a lackadaisical effort from the team. Playing 10-20 minutes a game just won't cut it in this league anymore.

The Flames also need a game-breaker. Until this year I thought that was Gaudreau but now I'm not so sure anymore. A top #1C would go a long way too. Personally I've thought for a while that Lindholm could be that center with Monahan taking his place on the RW. Just think of all the one-timers that Mony would be able to get off at the top of the circle on the right side. I just don't understand why Ward hasn't tried a Gaudreau-Lindholm-Monahan line.

Reactions: viper0220

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Old thread here. Speculation: - Armchair GM Thread - 2019/20 Season

On the subject of Taylor Hall, unless he can be played at RW there is no space for him on this roster unless the Flames trade Gaudreau or Tkachuk.

WRONG! There is plenty of space on the LLW position we will create for him.

? do you mean the opposite? It always seems like we never know what Treliving is doing until rumors come out that he was an also ran in some pretty damn big splashes.

I disagree there's a lot of smoke to break up the core. Instead, there seems to have been a ton of moves intended to insulate the core with the Zucker, Stone and Kadri trade rumors that fell through. We know there's smoke for a big move, but we have no idea who it is. Brodie has been in a trade before, so that's a ton of smoke, but the Hanifin, Monahan and Gaudreau ones, I am unsure. I will say that it isn't out of the realm of possibility of those guys being moved, but I don't think it's a ton of smoke.

I feel like the Flames keep their cards close to their chest.

Also how this team does in the playoffs will play a big part with what happens with this core. Also the GM of this team will be on the hot seat, if he can't get a major trade materialize, than Brad Trevling is most likely gone.

I don't really see why this would be the case. Ownership track record seemingly show they refuse to pay GMs and coaches but are OK paying full roster cap sans salary retention. Treliving is cheap and has put together a roster worth rallying around. If you look at the jerseys at the games, even the non-star jerseys are moving relatively regularly. I do agree with you that perhaps Treliving will wait until after the playoffs to decide if he wants to shake up the core/replace the core.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
It's hard to judge if breaking up the core is the right move or not without knowing the potential returns, and even then without seeing them play for the Flames. The prospect of completely changing the lineup and it's makeup is scary and seems like something barely any GM can do over one offseason, but there's a first time for everything.

Reactions: Sparky93

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Oh I agree wholeheartedly. In a perfect world I wouldn't mind seeing Ward get a chance to put his own stamp on things, but time is a wasting here with the current core. Its produce or else time with this group. Look at the difference Tippett has made in Edmonton. A Laviolette or Gallant could make a big difference.

Tippett designed his game plan around the strengths of his team and that is around the two best players on his team and it is paying dividends.

We need the same type of coach.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
If the flames embarrassed themselves again, either missing the playoffs or first round exit then it's time to break up the core....it's not much of a core anyway...gio is close to be done... Brodie will likely walk, tkachuk is going no where and I doubt they want to trade Lindholm unless they get overpayment. ...so essentially the only thing they have to do to break up the core is trade Johnny and/or Monahan

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I agree. The Flames need a coach that's a proven winner and won't put up with a lackadaisical effort from the team. Playing 10-20 minutes a game just won't cut it in this league anymore.

The Flames also need a game-breaker. Until this year I thought that was Gaudreau but now I'm not so sure anymore. A top #1C would go a long way too. Personally I've thought for a while that Lindholm could be that center with Monahan taking his place on the RW. Just think of all the one-timers that Mony would be able to get off at the top of the circle on the right side. I just don't understand why Ward hasn't tried a Gaudreau-Lindholm-Monahan line.

After sleeping on the Monahan+Hanifin+1st+the trash for Barkov trade, I think I would do it.

Gaudreau-Barkov-?
Tkachuk-Lindholm?
?-Backlund-?

Build around this core, get Peter Laviolette or Gerard as a coach, get a RW, I think Mangiapane can grab one spot and you have to fill out the rest of the team.

My main concern is with our GM, I don't think has any idea how to build a winning team.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
WRONG! There is plenty of space on the LLW position we will create for him.

? do you mean the opposite? It always seems like we never know what Treliving is doing until rumors come out that he was an also ran in some pretty damn big splashes.

I disagree there's a lot of smoke to break up the core. Instead, there seems to have been a ton of moves intended to insulate the core with the Zucker, Stone and Kadri trade rumors that fell through. We know there's smoke for a big move, but we have no idea who it is. Brodie has been in a trade before, so that's a ton of smoke, but the Hanifin, Monahan and Gaudreau ones, I am unsure. I will say that it isn't out of the realm of possibility of those guys being moved, but I don't think it's a ton of smoke.

I don't really see why this would be the case. Ownership track record seemingly show they refuse to pay GMs and coaches but are OK paying full roster cap sans salary retention. Treliving is cheap and has put together a roster worth rallying around. If you look at the jerseys at the games, even the non-star jerseys are moving relatively regularly. I do agree with you that perhaps Treliving will wait until after the playoffs to decide if he wants to shake up the core/replace the core.

I agree with you that this ownership cheap out on the GM and coach (you have to give credit to Edmonton here, they pay for good GM and good coaches). Because of cheaping out on the GM and Coaches, this team has won squat. When the new arena comes and ticket prices go up, I hope the fans send them a message, that they won't pay for this crap that has been going on for the last 30 years.

Reactions: Fig

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I don't know. Seems like every big trade that we plan on making gets leaked days-weeks in advance.

Dougie Hamilton being shopped was leaked more than a year before he was traded. The framework of his return was reported about a week before it went through, from what I recall.

We heard about Looch for Neal a long time before it happened

We also knew about Kadri for Brodie and that Kadri nixed it before he eventually got moved to the Avs

Hall, Stone, Hamonic etc.

The only move that really came out of the blue was the 1st Hamilton trade.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
If the flames embarrassed themselves again, either missing the playoffs or first round exit then it's time to break up the core....it's not much of a core anyway...gio is close to be done... Brodie will likely walk, tkachuk is going no where and I doubt they want to trade Lindholm unless they get overpayment. ...so essentially the only thing they have to do to break up the core is trade Johnny and/or Monahan

I agree with you on all most everything but one thing, if not making the playoffs and first round exits continue, Tkachuk will ask for a trade.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I agree with you on all most everything but one thing, if not making the playoffs and first round exits continue, Tkachuk will ask for a trade.
Chucky is the franchises LW and leader on the Flames. He believes in where Calgary is going right now and is prepared to carry the team on his back. He maybe the closest player to the cloth Iggy was made from.

Jarome
upload_2020-3-5_20-39-17.png

133 NHL points in his Draft +4
62 goals

Chucky

upload_2020-3-5_20-40-25.png

294 NHL points so far in his Draft +4
93 Goals So Far

Let's be clear here. Chucky has much more talent around him than Jarome did. That said Chucky had been locked into the second line for the first three years. Provided Chucky stays relatively injury free he could end up with a similar career. Both these players thrive on being leaned on for leadership and performance to obtain success.

Chucky will be a Flame until all hope for a cup is gone.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I don't think he will ask for a trade unless BT does nothing ...at least for another year anyway

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
After sleeping on the Monahan+Hanifin+1st+the trash for Barkov trade, I think I would do it.

Gaudreau-Barkov-?
Tkachuk-Lindholm?
?-Backlund-?

Build around this core, get Peter Laviolette or Gerard as a coach, get a RW, I think Mangiapane can grab one spot and you have to fill out the rest of the team.

My main concern is with our GM, I don't think has any idea how to build a winning team.

I do it forsurely too. Is there enough money to sign Hall at the same time?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I do it forsurely too. Is there enough money to sign Hall at the same time?
Well its not like Hall is destroying the opposition this year. He's on pace to score approximately 60 pts with about 18 goals. He might end up signing for a lot less than people expect him to.... particularly if its for a western team that's competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad