Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2019/20 Season Part 2

Discussion in 'Calgary Flames' started by Dube Dube Doo, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Kranix Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Does Brady Austin(6'3'', 232lb D-man, 26) have a path back to the NHL? Lead Kladno in goals and points this season, 43 pts in 52 games.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  2. Nanuuk Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Retired
    According to Elite Prospects it looks like he is to play in the KHL for 2020-2021.

3. Nanuuk Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Retired
    Ok. And now for something entirely heretic.

Would you trade Matthew Tkachuk and Doc Ryan to Buffalo for Jack Eichel and a 2nd? I included Ryan to more or less balance out the cap hit and send a C back in return. Tkachuk will still be an RFA at the end of his contract in 2021-22 and Eichel is signed until 2025-26.

Calgary has strength at LW with Gaudreau, Mangiapane, Dube, Bennett, Lucic and yes it would hurt parting with our future captain and power forward, but...

We'd have strength down the middle with Eichel, Monahan, Backlund, Jankowksi, and Gawdin. More if the Flames develop Dube or Bennett at C.

Not enough for Buffalo?

Edit: I floated this heretical idea, because I don't think Buffalo would have an interest in Monahan. They'd be more likely to bite on a bigger fish.

4. Kranix Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Buffalo hangs up the phone

Tkachuky and super6646 like this.
  5. Czarchuk Go Flames Go!

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Why is Buffalo giving a 2nd? We need to add a 1st and Hanifin.

super6646 likes this.
  6. Janks Pope Janks

SB Cash:
    $ 55,000
    Finance/Accounting
    Not sure Buffalo gets enough here. As much as we love Matty (or I do), this might not be enough in their minds. Eichel is a stud - so I think we'd need to add like a 1st or a young D to entice them.

I do love Eichel though - so it's tempting. Matty is the future Captain in my mind - but man, Eichel is a top player for the next decade+

7. Nanuuk Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Retired
    I was thinking a return for Ryan. Ok. Drop the pick coming back. Do you think trading a 22 year old power winger and a pretty good 3C is enough for a 23 year old 1C?

Edit: Or do we broaden the deal and add D prospect, .e.g. Valimaki (remember I'm talking a heretical deal!) for a Cozens? Or Risto?

8. Mazatt Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I'd figure for this to work thing end up along the lines of Tkachuk + Hanifin + 1st would get them real enticed, but that's without anything coming back and I can't see the Flames getting anything extra out of an Eichel deal, at least not a Cozens level prospect

9. GumbyCan2 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Hockey-Nerd
    If, a big if, Flames are looking to move on from Johnny Little Hockey, I would strongly consider offering Sean Monahan with him to Ottawa for:
    LW/C Brady Tkachuk, young upcoming Center ( with size and puck savvy, play-making to prove) Logan Brown, and RW/C Drake Batherson, with Prospect LW/ Vitaly Abramov. We could throw in Mark "Shanker" Jankowski too!
    I am actually very serious and could grove on the "potential" this Kind of package could evolve into for Flames.
    Don't know if Ottawa would move on from youth potential but would get 2 top players who play well together, in the prime of their careers. Would certainly up Ottawa's compete level,right away.
    I think Flames could survive this and actually evolve quite nicely.
    Brady could Center bro Matthew and Lindy on the right side.
    Backline could Center Mangy and Rookie Drake Batherson, or Glenn Gawdin on right side.
    Dube could Center Bennett and Derek Ryan on the right side.
    Round out with Rookie newbie Logan Brown Centering Looch and Gawdin or Rookie V Abramov or Adam Ruziscka or Buddy Robinson on Right wing.
    The Tkachuk-trucks with Lindy could be an awesome new-look, in-your-face kind of top line!!
    Imagine Brady & Matty crashing, banging, breaking out, scoring, buggering and chastising opponents together!!! Would make us move on from Mony-Johnny highlights a missing pretty solidly.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  10. GumbyCan2 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Hockey-Nerd
    Wow. That's a full-package offer for a singular star.
    What would Flames look like now:
    Johnny Hockey-Jack Eichel-hmmm a"RW'er"?Maybe Rookie G Gawdin?
    AMangy-Backsman-Lindy
    Lucic-Ryan- Bennett
    ??Lw-DillonDube-Eetu Tuuloa(Rookie) or Matthew Phillips(R) or Adam
    Ruzicka (R) or Buddy Robinson (R)
    Johnny would have to be on his game again Eichel would likely double-shift all over the place. Kinda of crazy?? In my opinion but...?

11. GumbyCan2 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Hockey-Nerd
    Memoriability sake? Like collecting a 'relick"?

12. GumbyCan2 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Hockey-Nerd
    Then we could offer Johnny Hockey-AndrewMangiapane-Sam Bennett and maybe O Kylington for: Brady Tkachuk and Drake Batherson and maybe Vitlay
    Abramov

13. GumbyCan2 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Hockey-Nerd
    I wonder if Montreal would part with Gallagher and either Caufield or Ryan Poehling for Johnny?
    Imagine Tkachuk and Gallagher pissingoff other team's stars, nightly!

14. crazyfisherman Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    U forgot that Tkachuk guy. Honestly Eichel and JG don't even work that we'll tgt, play Eichel with Tkachuk and have Lindholm and Backlund with JG. Gives 2 legit scoring lines.

GumbyCan2 likes this.
  15. GumbyCan2 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Hockey-Nerd
    Hughes is probably only available for Mony & Gaudreau! Way too much for not enough return, even if Hughes turns into Eichel#2 and Patrick Kane level career.

16. FLAMESFAN Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Home Page:
    All of these are pretty bad and the whole situation is kinda depressing...
    We were so close around 3 years ago...we just needed Johnny & Monny to play like allstars, Bennett to step up, Dougie to be more consistent, and goaltending.
    I don't even know if we can say we got 1 out of 4. But hey, Gio stepped up!

I think you stand pat with what you have for 1 more playoff, if J & M play uninspired again ship them out for as many futures as possible and rebuild.

17. Fig Petit Pelletier

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Instead of core players, what about support players?

Is there some combo of Bennett/Mangiapane/Janko/futures that makes sense for targeting someone like Risto or Montour? This helps Buffalo up front, reduces a slight forward logjam/LW logjam for us and upgrades our d depth + RD + options away from Brodie and Hamonic if that's what direction we are heading at.

The question is whether it is problematic from an expansion POV.

18. Tkachuk Norris Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    You forgot Tkachuk and then you play Lindy with Gaudreau and Eichel. The bottom six would include Dube, D. Ryan, Bennett, Gawdin, Lucic, and then a few cheap UFAs... Ronaldo, Reider maybe, I think there will be a lot available this year because of the cap pinches some teams are in with the cap. I think Phillips can come in and play the odd game in the top 6 if there is an injury. I think our depth is underrated, while it is a huge cost I think it would make us almost impossible to match up against, plus I think it makes Gaudreau seriously consider staying long term. We would need to start re-stocking D prospects but hopefully Kinvall or Mackey turns out to be a gem.
    Gaudreau-Eichel-Lindholm
    Mangiapane-Backlund-Tkachuk
    Lucic-Ryan-Dube
    Ronaldo/Reider-Bennett-Gawdin

Gio Brodie
    Valimaki Andersson
    Kylington Forbot
    Mackey- UFA Vet

I think the best option is trading Monahan for 8th overall + from Buffalo. We would get two top prospects in this draft and I think we might have a player, Dillon Dube, who would thrive in a top six role. It also could give us cap to sign Lehner, Pietrangelo or Hall who would have similar impacts to Monahan. Our chances would actually be really good because most teams with cap space this year are complete disasters.

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Hall
    Mangiapane-Backlund-Tkachuk
    Lucic-Ryan-Dube
    UFA-Bennett-Gawdin
    Ronaldo

callup: Phillips

Gio-Brodie
    Valimaki-Andersson
    Kylington-Hanifin

Rittich/Talbot

And I think we would have one of the better prospect pools in the league with: Pelletier, 8th overall, 10th-16th overall, Valimaki, Kinvall, Mackey, Pettersen, Phillips, Zavgorodniy, Gawdin, Ruzicka, 2nd rounder so we could keep adding cheap talent for the next 4-5 years while the team is in it's prime. Plus it just gives us a different look if we fail to take that next step again.

19. FLAMESFAN Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Home Page:
    I'm still hoping on Bennett, but I would do that combo for Risto.
    Is Montour really an equal to Risto? RR's value seems like its at an all time low, there's been all kinds of threads about all year. Don't know much from this year, but I still remember that WJC he dominated and he's had some good years. He provides that big RH shot, phyical (can be more physical for sure) mobile guy that we are in need of.
    I think he just needs a change and he'll be a top guy again. Pair him with Hanifin as our future top pair.

20. Khrox Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I don't hate this idea, but I don't like it either. Bennett is almost certainly worth more to us as a team than he is as a trade piece. And Mangi is really starting to step up, even as a left shot RW (whether it's because he's playing with Backs and Tkachuk, or if he's just actually coming into his own is a different story. But regardless, he's the best fit we have for that line). You'd almost have to see whether Janko+Young player (Dube/Ruzicka/etc..) could get us a better support piece instead.

21. Mazatt Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    In no way do I want to touch Ristolainen from the Sabres. I don't see value in him even for someone like Bennett. Montour is a maybe, I don't know him that well, but anyone considering Ristolainen as someone to trade for needs to check themselves.

22. Mobiandi Seanny Gaudreau

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    The problem with Ristolainen is his usage. He's no worse than someone like Tyson Barrie

23. Captain Controversy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Electrician.
    If Calgary wanted Eichel, it would take...

Tkachuk
    Monahan
    Andersson

For

Jack Eichel

24. Mazatt Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Not really though? Has any superstar gotten two top line players and a mid/top pairing defensemen with big upside? If that's what it takes no one is getting Eichel (Which is realistic, but this isn't even an offer Botteril could throw out as a joke)

Foo Fighter likes this.
  25. Fig Petit Pelletier

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    My brain is just fine TYVM. I'm looking at it as a potential minute muncher RD on the 2nd line in a future without Brodie and Hamonic. I view him as being the embodiment of all the best and worst things of both Brodie and Hamonic combined. Who wouldn't love that? Why lose that riverboat gambler aspect just because Brodie is gone?

Foo Fighter likes this.