Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2019/20 Season Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I don't hate this idea, but I don't like it either. Bennett is almost certainly worth more to us as a team than he is as a trade piece. And Mangi is really starting to step up, even as a left shot RW (whether it's because he's playing with Backs and Tkachuk, or if he's just actually coming into his own is a different story. But regardless, he's the best fit we have for that line). You'd almost have to see whether Janko+Young player (Dube/Ruzicka/etc..) could get us a better support piece instead.

Agreed. But something similar can be said about Risto about being more valuable to Buffalo than many other teams.

Bennett and Mangiapane are good players, but the reason I tossed those names in there is because they have a physicality and tenacity to their game that could allow Buffalo to value them similarly to how we value them, plus we have a LW logjam.

Yes, I get that Risto is flawed as hell, but we're technically seeing if we could move similarly flawed players from a position of strength and swap them into an area of weakness just like Buffalo is doing with RD for forwards.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
My brain is just fine TYVM. I'm looking at it as a potential minute muncher RD on the 2nd line in a future without Brodie and Hamonic. I view him as being the embodiment of all the best and worst things of both Brodie and Hamonic combined. Who wouldn't love that? Why lose that riverboat gambler aspect just because Brodie is gone?
The way I see him is that he is a minute muncher in the sense that he can play a lot, but he won't be giving us quality defensive minutes. This is the guy the Flames analytics department practically forbid Treliving from trading for him. I think that says a lot about how his scoring is nice a la Brodie, but he is also not great defensively. He's just a guy I wouldn't want on the team in general. Maybe a new setting could open him up to improvement, but if he doesn't we have Hanifin - Ristolainen together in all likelihood which is... a sus pairing in terms of brain farts.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
The way I see him is that he is a minute muncher in the sense that he can play a lot, but he won't be giving us quality defensive minutes. This is the guy the Flames analytics department practically forbid Treliving from trading for him. I think that says a lot about how his scoring is nice a la Brodie, but he is also not great defensively. He's just a guy I wouldn't want on the team in general. Maybe a new setting could open him up to improvement, but if he doesn't we have Hanifin - Ristolainen together in all likelihood which is... a sus pairing in terms of brain farts.

Much of the same could have been said about Dougie Hamilton when he was here, and look at the jump he took this year. RR still has alot of offensive potential, and I think can improve the other side of his game on a better team.
His value is at a low for sure so great buying opportunity...but is the value going to continue to dive or spike up over the last 2 years of his current contract?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

How is this any different than now. Isn't it more fun this way anyways with constant dice rolls? ;)

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Not really though? Has any superstar gotten two top line players and a mid/top pairing defensemen with big upside? If that's what it takes no one is getting Eichel (Which is realistic, but this isn't even an offer Botteril could throw out as a joke)

Yeah I agree. I would love to see Eichel on the flames. Him vs McDavid all the time would be a great treat.

Reactions: Potty John

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Agreed. But something similar can be said about Risto about being more valuable to Buffalo than many other teams.

Bennett and Mangiapane are good players, but the reason I tossed those names in there is because they have a physicality and tenacity to their game that could allow Buffalo to value them similarly to how we value them, plus we have a LW logjam.

Yes, I get that Risto is flawed as hell, but we're technically seeing if we could move similarly flawed players from a position of strength and swap them into an area of weakness just like Buffalo is doing with RD for forwards.
I don't think Risto would be that cheap. In fact, I would assume he'd have similar value to Hanifin. Both have comparable pedigree, age, size, cap hit and question marks. For all of Risto's faults, he's far and away the better offensive defenseman, a RD and just plain meaner, something that has been missing for a while. Players should think twice about standing in front of our net, and although Hamonic does his best, we really haven't had that since Engelland left. Any deal for Risto should include Hanifin.

Hanifin + Janko for Risto + Mittelstadt?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I'd take RR on this team any day, given the right price.

I haven't been too much of a fan of the thought of acquiring him, but I also know that Buffalo uses him in all situations when Risto isn't supposed to be used like that.

I would love a Finnish pairing of Valimaki and Risto.

Assuming Gio continues to regress, it would be awesome to have a top 4 of Hanifin - Andersso and Valimaki - Risto.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I haven't been too much of a fan of the thought of acquiring him, but I also know that Buffalo uses him in all situations when Risto isn't supposed to be used like that.

I would love a Finnish pairing of Valimaki and Risto.

Assuming Gio continues to regress, it would be awesome to have a top 4 of Hanifin - Andersso and Valimaki - Risto.
I'm not sure my head or stomach could handle Hanifin and Risto on the same team. One or the other.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
For all those in favor of having Ristolainen play for the Flames..

Have you forgotten about Dennis Wideman? Ristolainen is Wideman version 2... only worse defensively.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
For all those in favor of having Ristolainen play for the Flames..

Have you forgotten about Dennis Wideman? Ristolainen is Wideman version 2... only worse defensively.

Similar cap hit, similar term left... but more physicality, younger... Younger wideman wasn't too bad. Top pairing shoehorned wideman was bad. Off ice ref debaucle distraction wideman was worse.

Honestly you can do worse than RR in your top 4. For RR you have to see the acquisition cost. You can't just write him off. With RR though, is be interested in SEEING:

Hanifin - Andersson
Gio - RR DAMMIT!!!

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Torches and pitchforks time.

Sam Bennett and Pulujarvi. What is the add? (I assume minor add) Assume Pulujarvi will return to the NHL after the trade.

I don't hate Bennett, but he's up for renewal soon and we have a very bad LW logjam. I think Pulujarvi isn't a bust and will be a good middle 6 option the moment he returns to the NHL with potential to re-reach his 1st line potential and we have a dire need for quality RHS RW options. I also think Sam gets upped over 2 mil and I think we can get Pulujarvi to sign a 2 year 1.95 as a show me contract (what Bennett will be expiring from), so there's a tiny cap implication there too. Oilers need wingers and having one with some sandpaper is especially welcome. He also might get a good kick in his step in playing with his buddy CMD. I think the floors and ceilings of both guys help and hurt the teams equally in short and long term so it's a palatable trade for the two rivals. It's using pieces that aren't looking to fit well long term on either roster and swapping them for pieces with much more long term potential and similar ceilings and floors.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Torches and pitchforks time.

Sam Bennett and Pulujarvi. What is the add? (I assume minor add) Assume Pulujarvi will return to the NHL after the trade.

I don't hate Bennett, but he's up for renewal soon and we have a very bad LW logjam. I think Pulujarvi isn't a bust and will be a good middle 6 option the moment he returns to the NHL with potential to re-reach his 1st line potential and we have a dire need for quality RHS RW options. I also think Sam gets upped over 2 mil and I think we can get Pulujarvi to sign a 2 year 1.95 as a show me contract (what Bennett will be expiring from), so there's a tiny cap implication there too. Oilers need wingers and having one with some sandpaper is especially welcome. He also might get a good kick in his step in playing with his buddy CMD. I think the floors and ceilings of both guys help and hurt the teams equally in short and long term so it's a palatable trade for the two rivals. It's using pieces that aren't looking to fit well long term on either roster and swapping them for pieces with much more long term potential and similar ceilings and floors.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't do it just on the off chance they reunite Bennett with McDavid and we are forced to watch him be spoon fed 70 points a season by McDavid.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
If Calgary wanted Eichel, it would take...

Tkachuk
Monahan
Andersson

For

Jack Eichel

No it wouldn't, it would be Monahan + draft picks/smaller pieces.

Look at literally any trade in the history of this league. Never has a star player no matter how big ever gotten that many good pieces other than maybe Lindros and those pieces were not established like the Flames players are.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

Yet we acquired Michael Stone f***ing twice and continue to keep Hamonic with Hanifin even though analytically and in actuality they are one of the worst pairings in all of the league.. Our analytics department is a joke.

A Bennett for Risto trade would be a steal. Bennett is a glorified 3rd liner. Ristolainen could at least be sheltered on the 3rd pairing with Valimaki. I think both are useless players though and I'll keep Bennett on a cheaper contract.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
To cap off a triple post, I'll say it here rather than the Eklund thread, but I'd rather target Pietrangelo in free agency over Hall. Though I think he re-signs anyway.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Apparently Hoffman is a free agent. Would be an ideal signing and instantly be our best player on the powerplay with Gaudreau feeding him

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Yet we acquired Michael Stone f***ing twice and continue to keep Hamonic with Hanifin even though analytically and in actuality they are one of the worst pairings in all of the league.. Our analytics department is a joke.

A Bennett for Risto trade would be a steal. Bennett is a glorified 3rd liner. Ristolainen could at least be sheltered on the 3rd pairing with Valimaki. I think both are useless players though and I'll keep Bennett on a cheaper contract.
Another way to look at it is, the Flames analytics department is bad, but even they see that Ristolainen ain't it.

Value wise any of our bottom 6 outide of Dube for Risto is a steal, but I am just straight up not interested in Ristolainen for how expensive he is, same as you.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Apparently Hoffman is a free agent. Would be an ideal signing and instantly be our best player on the powerplay with Gaudreau feeding him
Hoffman would be a great add and could let us have an actual second unit as well that's led by Tkachuk or Lindholm. Don't know how much Hoff is looking for but

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hoffman
Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm
Mangiapane - Ryan - Dube
Lucic - Bennett - x

Looks like pretty good lines for 5v5, though the defensive aspect of Hoffman's game might keep him as a 2nd liner instead of with Gaudreau and Monahan who aren't great defenders.

Then

Tkachuk - Monahan - Hoffman
Gaudreau - Giordano

Mangiapane - Backlund/Dube? - Lindholm
Hanifin - Andersson

are solid powerplay lines

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
The NHL is going to be such a different league after the 24 team playoff and late 20-21 start. Also the looming expansion draft in play.

Think back to how different the league was after the lockout. Sure new rules and standards but some guys became dinosaurs overnight.

If we lose to the Jets I would like to see Treliving leverage in as much youth as possible and get younger and faster. And if compliance buyouts are in play jump all over that for Lucic.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I wouldn't do it just on the off chance they reunite Bennett with McDavid and we are forced to watch him be spoon fed 70 points a season by McDavid.

No faith in Pulujarvi then, eh? That's fair.

Uh.... not quite. The Flames were so close to the cap that we ran a short bench this season. The first time we acquired Stone, he was cheap as hell for what he offered and he was decent value at that price. My understanding of the reason why we chose to sign him the second time Stone was because he seemed to be the best option at league minimum to munch popcorn due to familiarity and be a consummate pro while being the 7th D. Not because the analytics said he'd be more than herp gerpder werper scherper as we all probably agree. That being said, IMO Stone is bad due to injuries. I think overall he's just straight up done and the org was doing him a swan song solid at league minimum. I don't think most of the FA options would have accepted league minimum or would be marginally better for us if they signed at league minimum just to sit. A new player has to learn the system and get to know the guys. Stone doesn't need to do that, he just needs to be ready.

Bennett also due a raise. Not more or equal to what RR is making right now, but if Bennett's raise is out and someone like Hamonic or Brodie's salary doesn't raise/not extended, we are actually paying less salary with RR. But basically as everyone saying let's look at RR is saying, "only if the price makes sense." If we can get RR for damn cheap, like pennies on the dollar cheap, you have to at least stop and think critically for a moment and weigh the pros and cons. If not, then obviously we don't bother trying to acquire him. That's what everyone doing a "maybe RR" is saying.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Hall is perfect for this team. When Gaudreau leaves within 2 seasons as most of you guys are predicting, we will be drafting 1st OA for the first time in Calgary Flames franchise history to replace him. The extra cap is not a big deal at all. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
To cap off a triple post, I'll say it here rather than the Eklund thread, but I'd rather target Pietrangelo in free agency over Hall. Though I think he re-signs anyway.

I think it would be stupid for management not to throw an offer to the both of them. Ask for Pietrangelo's demands first, if it's out of our price range go for Hall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad