Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2019/20 Season Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think the top names on Treliving's list are Hall and Barrie

I really hope it isn't Barrie. If not one of the big 2 (Hall and Piet), I'd rather the Flames go for Granlund or Hoffman. Maybe Galchenyuk as a middle 6 LW/C/RW project.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Any team that pays a 29 year old Hall, will almost instantly regret it. Massively overrated, never carried anyone anywhere, let alone a team and looking for a retirement contract. Stack the injury list on top of that and buyer beware.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Any team that pays a 29 year old Hall, will almost instantly regret it. Massively overrated, never carried anyone anywhere, let alone a team and looking for a retirement contract. Stack the injury list on top of that and buyer beware.

That's not really true. He pretty much singlehandedly dragged a bad team into the playoffs a couple seasons ago. But it was such a flash in the pan that he's definitely a risky guy to go all in on.

Still, that one season does speak to the potential he has to be a massive coup for whoever gets him.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I've always been a fan of Mike Hoffman. Except.... he's 30 now and turns 31 in November. Not a big fan of signing soon to be 31 year old players to FA contracts which will likely be 5 years or more.
A couple of years ago... yes. Now... I'll pass.
I'd rather take Taylor Hall if he's available at a reasonable price and term.

Reactions: Nanuuk

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

Yeah his Hart Trophy doesn't exist, you're right. And he deserved that one.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I wouldn’t mind Hoffman at like 2 years 7 million per. Over-payed sure but Florida tried to trade him last year which tells me this guy is a D-bag and that any longer than 2 years is a big no for me

Last edited:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Hall plays recklessly which makes him a downgrade on Gaudreau. If we manage to sign him, you have to hold on to Gaudreau

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
IMO, and it's unsubstantiated, Hall gets injured the most if he is asked to be a pall bearer to a a team's forward corpse. In a legit forward corps and being asked to be a support player, he will not be as injured as often and he will explode/boost those around him like a defibrillator.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I've never really been a huge Taylor Hall fan but if he wants to come to Calgary and Treliving gets him on a reasonable deal then why the hell not.

It's not really out of the realm of possibility either, he's from here, he (allegedly) loved being big swinging celebrity dick on the block up in Edmonton, he's looking to expand his playoff success, and we could potentially afford to give him a nice payday. We're also about to spend half a billion on a new state of the art facility to play in. Could definitely see us being an attractive option for him.

Hopefully Tre has a whole team of people much smarter than I am that can work to project what the cap is going to look like for the next ~5 years.

Whether or not he's an attractive option for us is kind of a different matter. We already have a deep LHS LW pool. One of him, Gaudreau, or Tkachuk would have to play on the right side. Plus it does nothing to address the biggest issue for this team which is still the center position, followed by goaltending. In fact a Hall contract likely makes those issues more difficult to address.

Reactions: Foo Fighter

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Big Hall fan here. If they can bring in Hall and keep Johnny, Monahan, Lindholm and Tkachuk, do iiiiiit. Otherwise no.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Our fans always complain about acquiring LHS LW's in the draft, so why some of us all for signing one now?

Reactions: 47

Feb 23, 2014
Our fans always complain about acquiring LHS LW's in the draft, so why some of us all for signing one now?

Thank you!

Hall is the only LH winger I would be ok with signing cause he is a legit first line talent.

Anyone else, no thanks.

We only have one NHL forward under the age of 33 who shoots RHed.

We only have 1 NHL dman under contract who shoots RHed.

These things need to change, especially up front.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
You guys talking about right handedness just re-enforces the disgusting notion that I am fairly sure we're going to re-sign Hamonic simply because he is right handed and "is a 2nd pairing guy guy who adds toughness to our team".

I already know one of him or Stone are coming back next year and I am already in disgust.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Because we might as well emulate the Soviet style of a nearly full LHS roster if we aren't going to have Russian players regularly on our roster?

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
You guys talking about right handedness just re-enforces the disgusting notion that I am fairly sure we're going to re-sign Hamonic simply because he is right handed and "is a 2nd pairing guy guy who adds toughness to our team".

I already know one of him or Stone are coming back next year and I am already in disgust.

I mean Eric Francis was insistent Brodie would be the one re-signed on a podcast recently (and he’s a big hamonic homer).

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

Because there aren't very many good right handed players going to free agency, unless you are going for Pietrangelo. I'd like him, but I feel like he can get way better elsewhere $'s wise. We can offer the term, but some other team is going to snatch him, imo. You've got Toffoli, Smith, and Simmonds as right handed RW's. Would rather go for Hall and have Johnny/MT convert to RW for the time being.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
What are the current stats on the number of right-handed D-men playing in the NHL today. What's the ratio?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Actually Toffoli seems like a Treliving signing.

He would come cheaper than Hall too.

I dig a Gaudreau - Monahan - Toffoli line. Toffoli did pretty well in Vancouver when having the opportunity to play with more skilled players. Imagine what he could do with Gaudrea and Monahan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->