Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2019/20 Season Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
If we can figure out defensive contracts and have room to add, Granlund would be nice but we have to consider how that would impact our ability to sign guys like Tkachuk, Mangiapane, and other top 6 guys. I doubt we could get him at a relative discount to his worth, a rough season in Nashville shouldn't drop him too low, but on the other hand it should drop his value to a degree.

I also don't think we can discount the idea of Mangiapane being slotted in 100% next to Backlund and Tkachuk to start next season. With Granlund as a centre there are a few things that could happen. Either he moves to the wing and pushes Mangiapane down to play with Ryan and Dube, or he takes over Backlund's spot on the second line , meaning we have a long term third line of Lucic - Backlund - Dube eating up 10 mil+ on the third line. And if Granlund is actually regressing instead of having one tough season we are locked into a potentiall long term deal that could bite us in the ass to add to a top 6 that doesn't need help. That would just be bumping a position that doesn't need a boost.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Gudas imo just seems like another hamonic. Analytics are poor, doesn’t put up a ton of points, and he is billed as a stay at home dman at the end of his prime. Seems like a mistake in the waiting imo.
Gudas would be a Hammer replacement. But cheaper, and likely expected to play 3rd pairing. I doubt he gets much above 2 mil (given the salary cap situation). I'd take him at 2 mil 1 year for a third pairing guy

Reactions: Foo Fighter

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Saw this agent poll on the main boards
PuckPedia AGENT POLL | Puckpedia

Outside of the obvious worst contract from a team perspective (Lucic), apparently Brad Treliving is tied for "Most enjoyable GM to work with". And of course Dubas in Toronto in a landslide victory in the "Easiest GM to deal with to get your client paid"

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
If a 24 team playoffs goes on as planned we will be playing the Winnipeg Jets. The Jets despite having some good talent upfront and an elite goalie are horrendously coached and have a poor defence. They have a 43.15 xGF% on the season marginally better than the Red Wings and well behind the 3rd worst Anahein Ducks. I don't know if there is a better matchup for the Flames to get the ball rolling with and build momentum.

So Jets in 3 or 4?

Reactions: super6646

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
We are a distaster to start the season. This is basically a re-start. We are goikg to get destroyed.

On the bright side if we lose and there are 2-3 upsets we are looking at a top ten pick I think.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Assuming this 24 team playoffs goes ahead, I wonder if the Flames will play Valimaki? I'd just as soon let him sit until next season so we don't have to protect him in the upcoming expansion draft.

Also, I wonder how many owners will be pushing for a 24 team playoff going forward once they get a taste of that unexpected playoff revenue? Once you eat that first potato chip its hard to put the bag down.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Assuming this 24 team playoffs goes ahead, I wonder if the Flames will play Valimaki? I'd just as soon let him sit until next season so we don't have to protect him in the upcoming expansion draft.

Also, I wonder how many owners will be pushing for a 24 team playoff going forward once they get a taste of that unexpected playoff revenue? Once you eat that first potato chip its hard to put the bag down.
Sure.

They still need to figure out how to smuggle players that went back to Europe across the border.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
If a 24 team playoffs goes on as planned we will be playing the Winnipeg Jets. The Jets despite having some good talent upfront and an elite goalie are horrendously coached and have a poor defence. They have a 43.15 xGF% on the season marginally better than the Red Wings and well behind the 3rd worst Anahein Ducks. I don't know if there is a better matchup for the Flames to get the ball rolling with and build momentum.

So Jets in 3 or 4?

I'm not nearly as opptomistic as you.
Jets scare me as much as any non bye team....but I guess you gotta beat some good teams if you want to make hay.

Reactions: hn777

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002

I can def vouche for this...I have been known to slay the family sized bags in 1 sitting :oops:

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I'm not nearly as opptomistic as you.
Jets scare me as much as any non bye team....but I guess you gotta beat some good teams if you want to make hay.
The Jets really aren't a good team. The problem is the Flames aren't either, if they can't beat the Jets this band deserves to be broken up IMO. Even if they win and lose in the real first round.

The Jets have a league worst 39.94 HDCF% (High danger chances, essentially shot attempts from the home plate), the Red Wings are 2nd worst with a 42.77 and then the rest of the NHL is about 3% ahead.

Last edited:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I know most will disagree but I sincerely hope the Flames go out fast. This post-season means nothing to me, especially if they play it in goddamn Edmonton, and I'd rather just focus on building our team in the summer.

The winner of this is getting stomped by the boring Blues anyway.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Pretty tasty match ups though. Hurricanes/Rangers will be a doozy.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I know most will disagree but I sincerely hope the Flames go out fast. This post-season means nothing to me, especially if they play it in goddamn Edmonton, and I'd rather just focus on building our team in the summer.

The winner of this is getting stomped by the boring Blues anyway.
i agree especially if those that lose in the play in/first round get to participate in the draft lottery.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
i agree especially if those that lose in the play in/first round get to participate in the draft lottery.

I disagree. The idea of the play in is a hurried up version of playing out the season. Pittsburgh losing to Montreal would reflect the very small chance that Pittsburgh slumped and Montreal went on a heater to overtake them down the stretch. In that scenario, Pittsburgh would be in the lottery.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Lmao some of CP is going to be so mad if Gaudreau gets traded. They're expecting insane value, if it happens it'll be either a 1 for 1 swap or more likely a meager package of picks like the (Toronto to Pittsburgh) Kessell trade or the recent Hall trade.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Lmao some of CP is going to be so mad if Gaudreau gets traded. They're expecting insane value, if it happens it'll be either a 1 for 1 swap or more likely a meager package of picks like the (Toronto to Pittsburgh) Kessell trade or the recent Hall trade.
Gaudreau is way better than kessel was, actually still wanted by the organization, and is not a rental like hall. Value is notenot close

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Gaudreau is way better than kessel was, actually still wanted by the organization, and is not a rental like hall. Value is notenot close

You can believe that. After his down season that's the return we're looking at IMO. Slightly higher than Hall but probably similar to what Kessel got, he's a small winger who has 2 years left on his contract. Kessel still had value and there was retention on his 7 year contract.

Panarin returned Saad.
Hall returned Larsson lol and then returned some prospects a 1st and a conditional (1st)?
Kessel returned a first and Kapanen.

Those are the comparable trades. We aren't going to get a kings ransom, for a small winger coming off the worst season of his career.

Last edited:

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

You can believe that. After his down season that's the return we're looking at IMO. Slightly higher than Hall but probably similar to what Kessel got, he's a small winger who has 2 years left on his contract. Kessel still had value and there was retention on his 7 year contract.

Panarin returned Saad.
Hall returned Larsson lol and then returned some prospects a 1st and a conditional (1st)?
Kessel returned a first and Kapanen.

Those are the comparable trades. We aren't going to get a kings ransom, for a small winger coming off the worst season of his career.

Pretty much. Some people still think coots could be had for him lmfao.

Reality is Calgary is in a very precarious spot with this core. Not enough high end assets but too good to tank. Also the potential for Tkachuk to be a ufa a year after Gaudreau brings about the total nightmare scenario for flames fans.

If Gaudreau is out I’d dump Monahan ASAP. The limited sample size away from him has largely been disasterous, and he sure as hell cannot carry wingers less capable than him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad