Speculation: Armchair GM 2022 Off-Season Edition: The Summer of Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
This team needs a re-set and should be looking at moving some contracts that are expire after the 23-24 season. Lindholm, Toffoli, Hanifin, Backlund, Zadorov, Tanev would all carry huge value at this year's deadline. I bet you could package Lindholm and Hanifin to Columbus for a package of picks/propsects like their 2023 2nd, 2024 1st, Marchenko, Svozil, etc. Also ask Markstrom to waive NMC. Probably a summer deal but never know what a contender thinks they can do if they rehabilitate a recent Vezina finalist. Pelletier, Zary and Coronato are all probably ready for NHL with maybe a few short demotions at times while still on ELCs.

Reactions: viper0220

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Ruzicka for duclair, save em some cap for an young nhler and we get someone hub is familiar with. As much as I like Pelletier and how he's playing, 1 pt in 8 games ain't gonna cut it

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Guys in here hating on my idea to get rid of Mangi and Coleman.

Welp, low and behold Mangi is back to a cool/cold streak and on pace for 16 goals. My main criticism with AM is that he's streaky and way overpaid for what he is - he isn't really the 30 plus goal man he was on a team where a first line was getting extra checking attention. He's not even (or barely) a 20 goal a year guy though might reach that mark on a 2nd line that he's been fortunate enough to get playing time on. Trade.

I've always said I like Coleman's effort and he's responsible and a bunch of other stuff. But he too is overpaid for what he is.

Just like I thought trading each of Brodie and Monahan was the thing to do (years before we did), I'm calling for this too but I doubt it'll happen.

Anyway, just pointing out Mangi streaking in the wrong direction to boobirds of a few weeks ago. 11 goals through 55 games.

Moving Hanafin would also be something I'd want to do for the right deal.

Ultimately you need a salesman GM who can market these 3 which should be easy to do for a good return. But the longer we diddle-daddle the less we'll get.

And finally, good on Dube for tallying up some points and generally playing well. But on a contender he'd be lucky to be playing on a 2nd line. He's best suited to a 3rd line that can slide up and once in awhile.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
I would gladly sell either of Coleman or Mangiapane (or any other player) but can’t imagine there is much if any market for them.

Reactions: Tofveve

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
Guys in here hating on my idea to get rid of Mangi and Coleman.

Welp, low and behold Mangi is back to a cool/cold streak and on pace for 16 goals. My main criticism with AM is that he's streaky and way overpaid for what he is - he isn't really the 30 plus goal man he was on a team where a first line was getting extra checking attention. He's not even (or barely) a 20 goal a year guy though might reach that mark on a 2nd line that he's been fortunate enough to get playing time on. Trade.

I've always said I like Coleman's effort and he's responsible and a bunch of other stuff. But he too is overpaid for what he is.

Just like I thought trading each of Brodie and Monahan was the thing to do (years before we did), I'm calling for this too but I doubt it'll happen.

Anyway, just pointing out Mangi streaking in the wrong direction to boobirds of a few weeks ago. 11 goals through 55 games.

Moving Hanafin would also be something I'd want to do for the right deal.

Ultimately you need a salesman GM who can market these 3 which should be easy to do for a good return. But the longer we diddle-daddle the less we'll get.

And finally, good on Dube for tallying up some points and generally playing well. But on a contender he'd be lucky to be playing on a 2nd line. He's best suited to a 3rd line that can slide up and once in awhile.
Loved Mangiapane since he broke into the league but this year he’s snake bitten and his contract is looking rough. If some posts he’d hit went in goal and win totals go up. He might be the best candidate to ship out because of his price tag, though harder to move.

Every time I think about next year or look at CapFriendly, I get very depressed. We need to move 1 or 2 of Hanifin, Andersson, Weegar, Coleman, Toffoli, Mangiapane or Markstrom! to field a whole lineup next year. Don’t even think about upgrades. 😭

Reactions: Tofveve

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
All big name speculation aside we need to seriously upgrade 4th line RW with a reliable, fast defensively sound veteran. Ritchie is not good. I’ve come to accept that Lucic is staying in the lineup so now looking at the other winger spot.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Loved Mangiapane since he broke into the league but this year he’s snake bitten and his contract is looking rough. If some posts he’d hit went in goal and win totals go up. He might be the best candidate to ship out because of his price tag, though harder to move.

Every time I think about next year or look at CapFriendly, I get very depressed. We need to move 1 or 2 of Hanifin, Andersson, Weegar, Coleman, Toffoli, Mangiapane or Markstrom! to field a whole lineup next year. Don’t even think about upgrades. 😭
Hi there, curious Jets fan who saw Weegar's name there. What would the Flames be looking for? I heard his name may have been floating around. Could be bogus, I dunno. But if anyone would humor me...

Would Calgary be looking for a 1st + top prospect back? More, less? Guys stats make him look like a beast. Don't want to insult anyone. Just having some fun on a Saturday afternoon. Cheers.

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
Hi there, curious Jets fan who saw Weegar's name there. What would the Flames be looking for? I heard his name may have been floating around. Could be bogus, I dunno. But if anyone would humor me...

Would Calgary be looking for a 1st + top prospect back? More, less? Guys stats make him look like a beast. Don't want to insult anyone. Just having some fun on a Saturday afternoon. Cheers.

Initially fans were expecting us to flip Weegar before he and Huberdeau signed extensions. After signing those extensions , we’ve put ourselves in cap trouble next year (over without full roster).

Realistically, I don’t see Treliving moving a guy he just inked an 8 year extension on, but many fans are back into “blow it up” mode. Weegar’s name came up in rumours to Ottawa so maybe there is talks going on…

1st and a top prospect is probably the right value, (maybe a little extra staying in Western Canada premium) and I think many fans would be happy for that return and the cap space going forward. Also feel like his skill set and age would match the Jets defence core nicely, but I don’t see Treliving moving him, yet.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022

As much as we should move everyone I doubt we move anything and certainly not for futures that we need.

For a realistic offer that Treliving would accept look at any mediocre, overpaid veterans you have as that is the type of player we are building around.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Coleman is great for the playoffs

But he has 5 more yrs on that fat contract

He is going nowhere. He will join Huberdeau and Kadri in that nursing home BT is building

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

Betchya Stanley would be involved. Darryl being the size queen he is.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
There is no deadline fix available for this team and its been said before. The Flames 1st order of business is extending or firing Treliving. If he isn't going to be extended OR if this season was to be a determining factor they can't let him make trades that will impact the future of the franchise in order to try to "save" the season.
The funny thing is he is already viewed as a lame duck GM. If Calgary trades Weegar and then flips the return for Parayko we all know that was a trade Sutter wanted not a trade that actually improves anything.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Not trying to be dramatic but if the Flames trade Backlund I’m going to off myself in front of the nearest Boston Pizza

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
We won’t trade guys like Backlund or Lindholm because they help us maintain our mediocrity and no way is this organization risking that.

Reactions: Rockmorton

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Out of curiosity, what would it take for the Flames to move on from Lindholm and/or Backlund?
No rebuild or selling of assets is anticipated, so I suspect a trade of either/both would mean the team is upgrading at the 2C / 3C position. If it's a trade for futures, figure out a trade that would require a painful departure of assets. Then add a 1st.

Take that for what it's worth.

Reactions: Perratrooper

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Sure but for us arguably our #1 and #2 forwards this year. That is the problem.
the biggest issue we have is that we have exactly 1 forward who might be called a 1st liner on a SC contending team with 3 centers, and 1 winger coming in at middle 6 and the rest are 4th liners or press box depth, our "vaunted" D corp has 4 dmen that would be considered that low end #2 or middle pair dmen but are missing that dynamic #1. The goalies well....they have certainly sh*t the bed this year but they are better than some teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad