Speculation: Armchair GM 2022 Off-Season Edition: The Summer of Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
What was a amazing season ended with probably the most disappointing ending imaginable. What do we do from here? Do you guys bring back Tkachuk and Gaudreau? Just one of them? Or neither? What does this team need to take the next step? Because clearly this team just doesn't have it, if it was a 7 game series where a couple bounces went the other way, sure. But this series against Edmonton exposed something in this team that I can't quite put a finger on.

I'll start with one proposed change: Trade Hanifin+ for an upgrade on defense. He is one of our worst/ most useless defensemen. He doesn't do anything particularly well, and is just sort of there. He is not top pairing material, and I don't see another way we can get an upgrade on defense without moving him with adds to get a better top pairing D.

Edit: screenshots are of upcoming UFA's and RFA's.

Attachments

• Screenshot (289).png
    Screenshot (289).png
    17.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot (290).png
    Screenshot (290).png
    9.6 KB · Views: 29

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I wouldn’t be so quick to run hanifin/andy/kylington just because mcdavid did mcdavid things. We don’t have another top 4 lhd after kylington after all….

I mean they were a 98 pt pair. I get the criticism, but even at their worst they can be a very good second pair.

Seems like a quick way to ruin your team. In saying that, we’re f***ed. The cap crunch that’s coming up is going to destroy our depth, and the Gaudreau situation is looming large.

If we can’t keep him, scorched earth should he our course of action. So that means mediocrity for yrs to come…

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
I wouldn’t be so quick to run hanifin/andy/kylington just because mcdavid did mcdavid things. We don’t have another top 4 lhd after kylington after all….

I mean they were a 98 pt pair. I get the criticism, but even at their worst they can be a very good second pair.

Seems like a quick way to ruin your team. In saying that, we’re f***ed. The cap crunch that’s coming up is going to destroy our depth, and the Gaudreau situation is looming large.

If we can’t keep him, scorched earth should he our course of action. So that means mediocrity for yrs to come…

I guess I just don't see a better way of finding a top pairing defenseman, because I think that's what this team sorely needs rn. Tanev playing with literally half of his body was our best defenseman all series. This team needs a reliable top pairing defenseman in the worst way.

As for the Gaudreau situation, I fully agree. I think everything hinges on if he signs here and how much for (anything above 10M is too much for me..). If he jumps ship to NJ or Philly we are kinda f***ed. And I'm gonna be honest, I'd just give Tkachuk is QO or use him as trade bait. Something about him screams late 20's decline.

Reactions: Cournoyer12

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
If Johnny comes back, trade Hanifin for someone who is not a defensive liability for 20+ minutes in a game.

If Johnny walks, trade all assets for futures and tank for either Bedard or Michkov. This team is in dire need for a top 1-2 pick in the draft for the first time in club history. It's clear after getting knocked out by that ridiculous joke of a hockey team that all you need is a generational talent to carry you onto the next round.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Im honestly leaning to blowing it up. I just dont see how this team can get better. We need a player better than JG if we want to win anything, and we will never get that with him on the team(Eichel sure wouldve helped but lets dump assets for a winger monahan and a guy that cant score instead), hes pretty amazing, but cant be your best guy. This is as far as this core can go, im almost sure of it. So instead of toiling around no mans land as a bubble team with an odd win here or there, i rather rip the bandaid off and just rebuild.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I don't think we have to blow it up, but I do think some pretty big changes should be made. I don't think giving Tkachuk a big contract will work out and if he wants a big raise, he needs to be traded. I want Gaudreau re-signed but he will likely cost quite a bit. Hanifin and Andersson need a lot more growth and if they can't do it fast enough we may need to bring in someone who is capable of playing big minutes even if it means trading one of them. Toffoli was useless for far too long during the playoffs, I wouldn't care if he was traded.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Nobody is untouchable including Treliving

But I am 100% sure Treliving will be back.

It’s going to be tough fixing this team

The team basically quit during the playoffs. Lucky to get by Dallas mostly because the Stars refused to play offense.

The core was horrid against the Oilers. You typically keep the core and supplement them but it’s the opposite with this team.

BRobMint

Formerly known as Hockey Ninja
Apr 24, 2013
Cleveland, OH (Grew up in Calgary)
I doubt the front office is gonna blow things up. Brad’s likely gonna do everything he can to keep both Johnny and Chucky on the team even if it means losing some depth. We try going for it again with a slightly different squad next year

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Yep until the Gaudreau situation is resolved really hard to comment on where to go. However the lack of cap space is a huge concern obviously. The thing is Sutter won’t trust kids and we will need Mackey, Valimaki, Ruzicka, Pelletier and Phillips to be on the team next year for their contracts. But don’t see it with our GM and coach.

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
Im honestly leaning to blowing it up. I just dont see how this team can get better. We need a player better than JG if we want to win anything, and we will never get that with him on the team(Eichel sure wouldve helped but lets dump assets for a winger monahan and a guy that cant score instead), hes pretty amazing, but cant be your best guy. This is as far as this core can go, im almost sure of it. So instead of toiling around no mans land as a bubble team with an odd win here or there, i rather rip the bandaid off and just rebuild.
I really don’t think Eichel is Sutters kind of guy. Just my opinion.

BRobMint

Apr 24, 2013
At the end of the day I ain’t gonna dwell too much on what Eichel would’ve been like on the Flames. Keeping Chucky was the right move at the time and definitely looked like the right decision with his 100 point season. None of us saw his lackluster playoffs coming

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Gaudreau is going to dictate what this team does and they need to decide before the draft if they can sign him to a decent deal. If they can't get him signed they should consider tearing it down.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
At the end of the day I ain’t gonna dwell too much on what Eichel would’ve been like on the Flames. Keeping Chucky was the right move at the time and definitely looked like the right decision with his 100 point season. None of us saw his lackluster playoffs coming
It never would've taken tkachuk, its part of negotiations. You cant tell me you would take tuch but not someone like mangiapane, is krebs better than pellets? Im not so sure about that. Sure many things prob went into it including the cap, but when stuff like we were never really in game come up in the Eichel saga, it makes you lose all faith in treliving.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Treliving needs to go. He spent a full draft on two players who are basically another Dillon Dube and Sean Monahan. Time and time again he proves he’s completely clueless about player evaluation.

Give me Bob Murray. If we had him instead of Treliving the last decade this team would have won a cup.

Trade Tkachuk for 2nd overall + and sign Forsberg who is a much better player.

BRobMint

Apr 24, 2013
It never would've taken tkachuk, its part of negotiations. You cant tell me you would take tuch but not someone like mangiapane, is krebs better than pellets? Im not so sure about that. Sure many things prob went into it including the cap, but when stuff like we were never really in game come up in the Eichel saga, it makes you lose all faith in treliving.
I was honestly going off rumors. I can’t blame Buffalo for taking Vegas’ package. Tuch is a local guy and wants to be in Buffalo and has been a great addition to their team. Kerbs looks promising as well

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
I was honestly going off rumors. I can’t blame Buffalo for taking Vegas’ package. Tuch is a local guy and wants to be in Buffalo and has been a great addition to their team. Kerbs looks promising as well
I mean when the package was monahan/dube and zary and a 1st, id take the vegas offer too lol. This isnt even me dwelling on the Eichel trade, this is just me trying to show the utter incompetence of treliving

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I dunno, man. We should probably rebuild. But they won't, they'll load up and give it another shot despite the pending departure of Gaudreau and obvious lack of ways to deal with faster, more skilled teams.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
With NJ and PHI being dumpster fires, I could honestly see Johnny coming back

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I think you have to rebuild. I don’t see Calgary being better than they were this year with their current core. With this core, they were a goal away from a first round exit and got embarrassed by the Oilers.

Reactions: viper0220

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I dunno, man. We should probably rebuild. But they won't, they'll load up and give it another shot despite the pending departure of Gaudreau and obvious lack of ways to deal with faster, more skilled teams.
Starts with JG first. Does he stay or walk away? Then comes MT. RFA who is a year away from ufa with a $9 mill QO with arbitration rights coming off a 100 point season. Could get more than his QO in arbitration.
Those 2 dictate the Flames future.
If they at least retain MT long term what else do they have coming through the system offensively? And what can they do in free agency or trade if JG leaves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad