Speculation: Armchair GM 2022 Off-Season Edition: The Summer of Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
the biggest issue we have is that we have exactly 1 forward who might be called a 1st liner on a SC contending team with 3 centers, and 1 winger coming in at middle 6 and the rest are 4th liners or press box depth, our "vaunted" D corp has 4 dmen that would be considered that low end #2 or middle pair dmen but are missing that dynamic #1. The goalies well....they have certainly sh*t the bed this year but they are better than some teams.

100%

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Hanifin is the guy I would like to see shipped at the deadline if we're out of it(and barring some miracle turnaround we mostly are).

Not even because I think he sucks. He's a good #3 on a decent deal. The Flames need to re-up on some young assets if they want to be competitive the next 5 years. They have a bunch of decent vets on retirement deals and they need to supplement that with young cheap talent if they have any hope of competing.

We have lost so many players for nothing or next to nothing. Gaudreau, Giordano, Bennett, Brodie, hell we ended up having to pay the Habs a premium just to take Monahan. Plz learn from your mistakes for once and trade a high value asset for a haul of picks and good prospects. Amateur scouting is the team's strength but you have to give them some more ammunition.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
this is probably a long-shot,

but do flame fans think, the flames management might deal a few pieces at the deadline if they are still out the WC spot?

Toronto would have a lot of interest in Tyler Toffoli.

Would flame fans be open to dealing him? If so would these trade pieces make any sense or am I undervaluing Toffoli?

2024 1st
Fraser Minten/Roni Hirvonen/Ty Voit
Alex Kerfoot or 50% retention by the flames.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
this is probably a long-shot,

but do flame fans think, the flames management might deal a few pieces at the deadline if they are still out the WC spot?

Toronto would have a lot of interest in Tyler Toffoli.

Would flame fans be open to dealing him? If so would these trade pieces make any sense or am I undervaluing Toffoli?

2024 1st
Fraser Minten/Roni Hirvonen/Ty Voit
Alex Kerfoot or 50% retention by the flames.
That’s what we should do. Will we? Nah he’s the only player that does anything on the PP

Reactions: hamzarocks

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Hanifin is the guy I would like to see shipped at the deadline if we're out of it(and barring some miracle turnaround we mostly are).

Not even because I think he sucks. He's a good #3 on a decent deal. The Flames need to re-up on some young assets if they want to be competitive the next 5 years. They have a bunch of decent vets on retirement deals and they need to supplement that with young cheap talent if they have any hope of competing.

We have lost so many players for nothing or next to nothing. Gaudreau, Giordano, Bennett, Brodie, hell we ended up having to pay the Habs a premium just to take Monahan. Plz learn from your mistakes for once and trade a high value asset for a haul of picks and good prospects. Amateur scouting is the team's strength but you have to give them some more ammunition.
I'd be looking to sell high on Hanifin too.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
If we trade Hanifin for a legit no brainer like the Hamilton deal, sure.

I just think any trade involving Hanifin we likely get the worse player in the deal.

He got 6 points and is a plus 5 in his last 8 games and is still getting the finger pointed at him despite having brutal goaltending.

On a team with Mangiapane, Markstrom, Lucic, and Coleman it’s so bizarre that he’s the whipping boy. Oh well it happened with Brodie, I’m sure Weegar will be the next goat after Hanifin is gone.

IGGY2JOHNNY

Apr 22, 2018
I’d like to see some moves by Brad but nothing huge. Our 1st should without a doubt be off limits. This team hasn’t done anything to earn a big addition. Would instead like to try to mix things up with some smaller moves and see if the team can get hot for the stretch run.

Couple moves I’d like:
1) Lucic to BOS for Craig Smith + 5th
- BOS brings in Looch to get the ole band back together for their final cup run together. Smith has been just as bad in BOS this year as Looch has been here but does have more offensive potential and could get a small spark with a move. If anything, getting a 5th for looch at this point is a win for me

2) Matthew Phillips + 4th to ANA for Derek Grant + Dmitry Kulikov
- This one kind of stings but I think it’s clear Phillips has no future here and likely doesn’t resign in the off-season. Better to use him as a trade chip this deadline. We get an upgrade on D + a serviceable 4C in this trade and don’t totally lose Phillips for nothing.

Dube,Lindholm,Toffoli
Mangiapane,Kadri,Huby
Coleman,Backlund,Smith
Ruzicka,Grant,Lewis
Duehr/Ritchie

Hanifin,Andersson
Weegar,Tanev
Zadorov,Kulikov

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

I just think any trade involving Hanifin we likely get the worse player in the deal.

He got 6 points and is a plus 5 in his last 8 games and is still getting the finger pointed at him despite having brutal goaltending.

On a team with Mangiapane, Markstrom, Lucic, and Coleman it’s so bizarre that he’s the whipping boy. Oh well it happened with Brodie, I’m sure Weegar will be the next goat after Hanifin is gone.

That's because this fanbase doesn't understand the game of hockey, like truthfully. Andersson makes way more bonehead mistakes, but is almost never called out for it. And I'm not saying he or anyone needs to be called out because frankly this fanbase is toxic enough right now, but it's kind of embarrassing the takes some people on this site have (well, include CP, twitter, facebook, etc.).

You'd think this team was Columbus levels bad with the negativity. Also, at the end of the day it's a game, there's no point getting worked up anymore over the Flames.

Flames will be average (10th overall picks) for the next 3-4 years, then maybe we'll be bad enough to tank for picks if our organization realizes you can't re-tool with old guys in free agency (in this scenario both Tre and Sutter are replaced by this time). Time to accept that fact.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
You'd think this team was Columbus levels bad with the negativity. Also, at the end of the day it's a game, there's no point getting worked up anymore over the Flames.

I think the fact that the club isn't that bad but just bad enough to do nothing is why there is so much negativity. If we were Anaheim level of bad but with MacTavish, Zegras, Drysdale and a top pick coming up I don't think you would see the negativity you see now. But instead, as usual, we are just bad enough to not doing anything this season and not bad enough to get quality assets. That is the worse place to be in and the Flames seem to have been there for most of that past 30 (40?) years.

Reactions: Tofveve

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014

Flames will be average (10th overall picks) for the next 3-4 years, then maybe we'll be bad enough to tank for picks if our organization realizes you can't re-tool with old guys in free agency (in this scenario both Tre and Sutter are replaced by this time). Time to accept that fact.
This round of negativity started when we got Huberdeau and Weegar as a return for Tkachuk. 1/2 the fans wanted them flipped for futures to kickstart a retool the other 1/2 thought they were great replacements for Gaudreau and Tkachuk and we would not see a regression in the team especially when they managed to snag Kadri for Monahan and a 1st..

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013

I don’t think Hanifin is even close to the whipping boy. Everyone here agrees Marky is the #1 problem with the team and he is for sure the whipping boy (deservedly so). And everyone wants Lucic off the roster too.

I think the thing with Hanifin is that he’s one of the few players we have with high perceived value that is not necessarily irreplaceable. Not that he isn’t valuable, he’s definitely a solid #3. But he’s nothing outstanding.

Guys like Coleman, Marky, Looch (thank god his contract is up after this year) are almost untradeable with their contracts, so if we want to clear space or re-stock the prospect pool it’s gonna come down to the Mang’s, Tanev’s, Backlund’s, Rasmus, Weegar, Toffoli’s to bring us back some futures while also clearing cap space

Do I think our D gets significantly worse this year if we ship Hanifin? Definitely yes. But if he’s bringing back a 1st+, or an A level prospect/ young player, or an equivalent young forward, I’m very very open to it. He also only has 1 year after this one and could easily walk in FA for a team closer to home with more money to offer.

Rasmus, Weegar, Tanev, Kylington/Zad is a capable top-4, plus we can easily sign a FA to replace Hanifin with the 5 mil in space.

Let’s say we trade Hanifin for a 1st+ B prospect, and then turn around and sign a top-4D to replace him (one of Gavrikov, Orlov, Dumba, Severson, Clifton, or Mayfield). So then it effectively becomes Hanifin for 1st, B prospect, and one of those guys. That seems like a huge win to me.

I’d also be open to moving Toffoli or even Mang, but we’re already pretty strong on D (so long as Kylington returns) that I think Hanifin is more expendable

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
100% right Rasmus

I think we would all love to trade Lucic, Ritchie, Coleman, Stone etc. for first and elite prospects but that is not how it works. We have to trade players that have some quality if we want to actually make changes to the team. Just because people think a player is a good option to deal doesn't mean they are a scapegoat or hating on them.

I think Hanifin is a fine player, but I don't think he is a top pairing guy and certainly not a #1 that helps teams win. He is the kind of player that could bring back some good value and help us in the future. He is the type of player that we should move because they bring in actual quality pieces back even if it hurts a little to see him go. Same thing with guys like Lindholm, Andersson, Toffoli, Backlund (if he has any value), Tanev, Weegar.

I would love to move Kadri, Mangiapane, Hubredeau, Coleman as well but not sure there is any team out there to give up anything of value although with Coleman, Kadri and Hubredeau the cap space they free up might be worth it even if we get nothing back

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I feel like Toffoli's value would actually be higher now than when we acquired him. He's having a phenomenal season.

The Flames have so many guys expiring at the end of next season. They're primed perfectly to be sellers. Obviously a total rebuild is completely off the table until year 4ish of Huberdeau's contract but I wonder if they'd be willing to sell high on some guys (Toffoli, Tanev, Lindholm, Hanifin) and retool for a year.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Toffoli (Maybe Mang) is the only piece with value i'd look at trading this deadline (since we actually have RW prospects). We need 1 or 2 Dmen to get re-upped, and the odd man out between Hanifin/Z/Tanev should be traded next year.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
As much as everyone is available for the right price, Backlund for his contract is probably the guy that should be a Flame for life. Nearly a perfect middle 6 centre who kills penalties yadda yadda. He's Mr. Flame. Not sure I'd like to see Lindholm, Ras or Tanev go either.

Anyway, at the core of my argument is that we need management that are good used car salesmen. Seriously. That's when I get into creative selling/packaging of guys like Coleman, Mangi and Hanafin. Coleman can still he sold on cup pedigree who didn't get proper linemates here who's been still solid defensively etc. Mangi just came off a 35 goal season and has been unlucky with posts. Hahafin is still young and can slot in anywhere in the top 4 on a contender etc.

Too had Hubes and Kadz look like long term anchors here. Maybe they blossom as Flames, particularly Jonathon who has a long way to go.

I don't think there are any easy fixes, just wish we had a GM that could sell Mazdas as Mercedes.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010

This is good

"until we have a little bit better idea of where we’re at.”
This is bad. How the **** do you not know where your team is at after 57 games. Are the next 4 games really going to change anything?

“For the most part, our game has been pretty darn good,” Treliving said. “The two things for us are being able to keep it out of our net and finishing. But when you look at the overall game, we’ve defended well. We don’t give up a ton. We create enough. But it’s sort of the finishing at both nets.”
This is hilarious. We can't score and we can't get a big save but otherwise, everything's great

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
The concerning way to read that comment is that they are looking at ways to justify spending and thinking this team is better than it is.

The hopeful way to read it is that they aren’t going to spend assets to get the team to a play-off spot if they aren’t there by the deadline.

I don’t think the team does anything big outside of a 3-5th round pick for a d-man which is a move I think Treliving does if we are 57-0 or 0-57 he just seems to love depth defenseman.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
All I know is we can’t go into next season with 3/4’s of our top players set to go to UFA. Should move a couple of them between this deadline and summer free agency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad