Speculation: Armchair GM 2022 Off-Season Edition: The Summer of Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Good. Hopefully GM Craig Conroy will have learned from his predecessor's mistakes.

There will be three lineup spots available for forwards next season: two on the 4th line, and one in the press box. Not filling any of those roles with someone earning more than $1 million cap hit.

No spots for defensemen either with only Stone coming off the books and hopefully Kylington back in the fold.

If you want to add anyone, has to be done via trade.

Circling back to Markstrom, he has full control of his destination if traded. I suspect any team desperate enough that they'd need to take a chance on Markstrom is a team he's not going to waive his NMC for.
He strikes me as a guy that wants to play, if hes losing the starter job to vlad i can see him wanting to go anywhere else just to start

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The real quiz is how we are going to fit Josh Anderson's albatross. Everyone knows it's coming

23Monahan

Jul 2, 2018
Nice 4 point night for valimaki lastnight. Would be reaaaaaaal nice to still have him with all our injuries.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Nice 4 point night for valimaki lastnight. Would be reaaaaaaal nice to still have him with all our injuries.
The guy has 3 primary points all year at 5v5. Since Chychrun took his role back when he got healthy, Valimaki also has the worst goal differential of that D-core despite seeing his role reduced to under 15 minutes a night. Valimaki would be battling for Gilbert’s role on our roster, remember it’s Arizona we are talking about.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
I think Valimaki is clearly better than the guys we kept in similar roles (Stone, Gilbert, Mackey) but really I don't think he is anything more than a meh player that doesn't change anything with our team.

It is disappointing he didn't turn out as he looked like a quality player right after being drafted but is more of a case of poor development than one that got away.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
I think Valimaki is clearly better than the guys we kept in similar roles (Stone, Gilbert, Mackey) but really I don't think he is anything more than a meh player that doesn't change anything with our team.

It is disappointing he didn't turn out as he looked like a quality player right after being drafted but is more of a case of poor development than one that got away.
Don’t know if you can really blame poor development, when he had multiple injuries to his legs when his biggest strength was being a big, mobile defenseman. He then just got surpassed by Calgary adding or developing plenty of other impact D-men. Fully healthy we can ice any of Hanifin, Weegar, Zadorov, and Kylington on the left side, that’s a young and talented group.

Friendly reminder that he was waived because Gilbert, Stone, and Mackey all showed remarkably better than him this pre season. The odds of him finding similar success playing any of their roles this season is slim to none.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Don’t know if you can really blame poor development, when he had multiple injuries to his legs when his biggest strength was being a big, mobile defenseman. He then just got surpassed by Calgary adding or developing plenty of other impact D-men. Fully healthy we can ice any of Hanifin, Weegar, Zadorov, and Kylington on the left side, that’s a young and talented group.

Friendly reminder that he was waived because Gilbert, Stone, and Mackey all showed remarkably better than him this pre season. The odds of him finding similar success playing any of their roles this season is slim to none.
They waived the wrong guy. Period.

Should have been Mackey

Yes, he was not going to do much but without Kylington, he probably had more chances. Stone and Mackey have been horrible.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I'm not too stressed about losing Valimaki. Unfortunately, it means we're looking to spend more 3rds and 4ths on a depth guy.

What I'll always be curious about is the excessive praise that management heaped onto Mackey from day 1. Don't know what Treliving and Conroy were cooking there

MM917

Aug 18, 2022

Yes that is fair poor development seems to imply the club did something wrong and I think it was likely injuries that played a large role.

None of those 3 have any talent though. Hard to imagine they played well enough to overcome the fact they all suck. At least with Valimaki there is some level of talent that could result in something good.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
They waived the wrong guy. Period.

Should have been Mackey

Yes, he was not going to do much but without Kylington, he probably had more chances. Stone and Mackey have been horrible.
Nope. Valimaki was by far and away the absolute worst defenseman in training camp; even worse than a guy like Kuznetsov who's like 12th or something on the depth chart.

I don't know if you've seen him play with the Coyotes but he's still making all sorts of defensive mistakes. The kind that would have seen him benched and made a virtually permanent scratch by Sutter leading him to be even more unhappy with even less confidence. It just wasn't going to work out here.

It's okay to give a player a chance to succeed elsewhere when there's simply no chance of him succeeding here.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Nope. Valimaki was by far and away the absolute worst defenseman in training camp; even worse than a guy like Kuznetsov who's like 12th or something on the depth chart.

I don't know if you've seen him play with the Coyotes but he's still making all sorts of defensive mistakes. The kind that would have seen him benched and made a virtually permanent scratch by Sutter leading him to be even more unhappy with even less confidence. It just wasn't going to work out here.

It's okay to give a player a chance to succeed elsewhere when there's simply no chance of him succeeding here.
I dont watch the Coyotes….I just know Mackey has been horrible and Stone as well except for a few great point shots

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
I dont watch the Coyotes….I just know Mackey has been horrible and Stone as well except for a few great point shots
For sure. But anybody who thinks if Valimaki was still here that he'd be playing over Stone is just lying to themselves. He'd be in the exact same position Mackey is.

The only real question is why haven't the Flames waived Mackey and given that spot to literally anybody else. Gilbert was been far better and Meloche deserves a shot.

Reactions: DFF

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Yeah it was never going to work here for Valimaki. I still think at best he turns out to be a 4/5 guy like Zadorov (not stylistically just impact on the game)

Also a 2024 2nd + for Kravstov might be a great trade. We need a little more speed up front and I don’t really see it in our young players/prospects except for Dube. I think he could compliment a lot of our other players really well.

Last edited:

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

Valimaki had the exact problem Sutter was trying to make sure Pelletier didn't have with his call up. He was never going to work here. He thought he deserved a spot in the lineup he didn't earn yet. Good for him but he's still not nearly as good as people think.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Hopefully we can move B prospects like Schwindt or Duehr, and pressbox players like Mackey to get something
I really don't want to move any of our top prospects or picks.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Hopefully we can move B prospects like Schwindt or Duehr, and pressbox players like Mackey to get something
I really don't want to move any of our top prospects or picks.
Sounds like a ROR package....2023 1st, Schwindt + Mackey for ROR 50% retained.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Valimaki might be better than Stone and Gilbert, but not so much better to be worth double the cap hit of them, that's another issue. If you have a guy who is a little bit better at 1.55, you're probably gonna stick with the slightly worse guy at 750k.

Reactions: NinjaTurtle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad