Speculation: Armchair GM 2022 Off-Season Edition: The Summer of Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Out of towner here, is Byram or Toews on PP1, while Makar is out?

I know Makar is from Calgary, but you're really out of town on this one. :)

Thanks for the good laugh though. It really cheered me up and made my day. :thumbu:

Reactions: KaraLupin

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
If Coronato steals a spot next year, what happens with Duehr? Don't think there's room for both.
No idea on what it would cost for Warren from the Ducks, but they are stacked with great D prospects.
I wonder if something around Duehr/Phillips would be enough, if not maybe Vladar/Dube and go for Minty/Luneau?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
If Coronato steals a spot next year, what happens with Duehr? Don't think there's room for both.
No idea on what it would cost for Warren from the Ducks, but they are stacked with great D prospects.
I wonder if something around Duehr/Phillips would be enough, if not maybe Vladar/Dube and go for Minty/Luneau?
Can fit them both into a non-Darryl Sutter lineup pretty easily.

Huberdeau - Lindholm - Toffoli
Pelletier - Backlund - Coronato
Mangiapane - Kadri - Duehr
Ruzicka - Dube - Coleman

Yes these lines are kind of shitty but I'm too lazy to put any serious thought into them.

I think there's a bigger issue. Who's being traded in order to be cap compliant? Seems like they're about $2.5 million over the cap next season with a 22 man roster.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002

Ruzicka - Dube - Coleman

Yes these lines are kind of shitty but I'm too lazy to put any serious thought into them.

I think there's a bigger issue. Who's being traded in order to be cap compliant? Seems like they're about $2.5 million over the cap next season with a 22 man roster.
We're paying Rooney 1.5 to play in the AHL. He might be on the roster.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Are UFA still a tradeable asset by the draft?
Yes, but an unproven, soon to be UFA, small and young kid is not going to be worth much if anything at the draft. Conditional 7th round pick? Maybe. Doubt anything else unless there was a team desperate to talk to him before free agency.

Reactions: Iggys Dome

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Yes, but an unproven, soon to be UFA, small and young kid is not going to be worth much if anything at the draft. Conditional 7th round pick? Maybe. Doubt anything else unless there was a team desperate to talk to him before free agency.
Fringe players are traded all the time, and Phillips is a proven AHL allstar at the least.
If we aren't going to resign him, I'd hope we at least get a mid rnd pick back

Reactions: Nanuuk

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Fringe players are traded all the time, and Phillips is a proven AHL allstar at the least.
If we aren't going to resign him, I'd hope we at least get a mid rnd pick back
You arent getting a mid round pick for his UFA rights. Known NHL Superstars rarely bring that back. The trading of UFA rights is almost nonexistent.

Reactions: Iggys Dome

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
I can't see how Duehr and Coronato are competing for the same spot, seems very easy to fit them both in the team.

Coronato should be played in the 2nd line RW spot and Duehr is a 4th liner. If Coronato is playing on the 4th line I would rather him on the top line in the AHL.

Reactions: Mazatt

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019

Ruzicka - Dube - Coleman

Looking at a lineup like that, the obvious answer feels like Dube. He's going to be spaced out by guys like Pelletier. Really, even without the cap problems he might be a smart guy to trade anyways. He conceivably won't play top line for a long stretch for his career again, and at least in this lineup, is playing next to another natural centre--plus he'd be getting pushed by Zary as a centre as soon as next year.

Of course Zadorov is another easy choice if Kylington is back full-time next year--at least assuming their 2.5 over with Kylington in the lineup. There should be some 5th D that could stretch to a 4 if Tanev is injured with potential from Poirier to step in.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
What can we expect this summer? The team needs fundamental changes but we've already traded the '24 or '25 1st, dependent on standings. Ideally, we finish in the 15-19 range next season, entering into a full rebuild the following year, with a number of key, value contracts expiring. As it sits, we need to shed 3-5 million before the start of next season. Hard decisions need to be made regarding the future and the reality of high priced retirement contracts has to be recognized. The team does not have the talent to contend and can't afford to to pay anymore players to decline. My offseason moves would be:

- Move Toffoli. Coming off a career year, on a cheap contract, he should provide a nice return and it would provide a slot for Coronato.

-Move Backlund or Hanifin. Ideally Backlund, coming off a career year and potentially being harder to move at the deadline, due to his cap hit. Also creates space/opportunities down the middle. Given his age, he's a guy we need to move on from and there's a high probability that he may not repeat his performance next season.

-Lindy and Hanifin should be moved at next year's deadline, potentially retaining up to 50% on each of them to maximize the return.

-Bring in a coach that can develop young players on the fly.
- Gut the front office, GM down and change the way we evaluate character. Character is huge but there's more to it than being a nice guy. There isn't a single guy on the roster with a nasty bone in their body, that's willing to even consider winning at all cost. Far to many guys just content with existing. It is completely possible to be a good guy, with strong character and still being a terrible SOB to play against on the ice. They used to call them Captain material.

-

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
ok...Assuming Calgary gets the 16th OA pick this draft would it be smart to talk to the Habs and see if they would trade our future conditional 1st pick and say their 2023 2nd for the 16th OA and would they do it?
This is based on an assumption that at least 1 d and 1 forward from this list are traded:
Toffoli for a 1st and a prospect
Tanev for a 1st, 2nd and a prospect,
Hanifin for a 1st and a prospect,
Backlund for a first or a grade A prospect,
Lindholm for a first, 2nd and a grade a prospect,
Zadorov for a 2nd and 3rd,
Kylington for a 2nd and 3rd

are traded to get some cap flexability.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
ok...Assuming Calgary gets the 16th OA pick this draft would it be smart to talk to the Habs and see if they would trade our future conditional 1st pick and say their 2023 2nd for the 16th OA and would they do it?
This is based on an assumption that at least 1 d and 1 forward from this list are traded:

Why would a GM do that after watching this season? Worst case, they gamble and move down a maximum of 3 spots in '24 or the Flames rebound, setting up a potential lottery pick, from either the Flames or Panthers in '25.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

pucksfeedthewolf

Apr 12, 2023
For me, it’s a pretty simple choice to run it back and see what this core can do without Sutter. Make some tweaks and put them in a position to succeed - something that wasn’t done with Sutter’s usage this year. His refusal to inject youth into the lineup - something that the most successful teams over the past number of years have done regularly is a sure sign he’s incapable of coaching in the current NHL.

Like, you’re not going to get the top end talent everyone is clamouring for by moving out a couple UFA’s next year - look how bad SJ and CHI are, you’d have to go full scorched earth. Might as well see if Huberdeau can return to a 90 point player without having to play with Lucic. Might as well see if Markstrom can bounce back. Might as well see if Lindholm and Mangiapane can return to 30 goals. Might as well see what a 4th line that doesn’t feature old, slow, “physical” players (looking at you Looch) does to bring the energy of the entire team up. Might as well see if Kylington can continue his upward trajectory, assuming he returns.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Why would a GM do that after watching this season? Worst case, they gamble and move down a maximum of 3 spots in '24 or the Flames rebound, setting up a potential lottery pick, from either the Flames or Panthers in '25.
i can see that but I think its also worth the conversation as a lot of teams would value getting a 1st now instead of 2,3,or 4 years later does have a lot of value whether they would give a good asset up to do it I am not sure.. The Habs are rumored to be hunting a 3rd 1st and this would give them a mid 1st pick in a deep draft and having this plus Florida's gives them the assets may make it possible to move them for a 2nd top 10 pick cause would a team who has the 9th OA feel they would get more value from the 16th and 17th OA (assuming Florida gets thumped by Boston)

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
For me, it’s a pretty simple choice to run it back and see what this core can do without Sutter. Make some tweaks and put them in a position to succeed - something that wasn’t done with Sutter’s usage this year. His refusal to inject youth into the lineup - something that the most successful teams over the past number of years have done regularly is a sure sign he’s incapable of coaching in the current NHL.

Like, you’re not going to get the top end talent everyone is clamouring for by moving out a couple UFA’s next year - look how bad SJ and CHI are, you’d have to go full scorched earth. Might as well see if Huberdeau can return to a 90 point player without having to play with Lucic. Might as well see if Markstrom can bounce back. Might as well see if Lindholm and Mangiapane can return to 30 goals. Might as well see what a 4th line that doesn’t feature old, slow, “physical” players (looking at you Looch) does to bring the energy of the entire team up. Might as well see if Kylington can continue his upward trajectory, assuming he returns.
sure my gut feel is if they run it back with this team minus the UFA players (cause they have no cap room to sign them) they will be a playoff team. Which also means the following:
They will acquire rentals (more picks out the door)
They will not sell their pending UFAs (Lindholm, Tanev, Toffoli, Backlund, Zadorov, Kylington, Hanifin) giving valuable assets the ability to walk for free further killing the teams future.
The following season they crash to earth if more than 2 of those pending UFA's leave which leads to the same spot but with no assets to accelerate it.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
I just want this team to give being proactive a chance this offseason for the first time ever.

Trade Toffoli. Career year, 30 years old, UFA in one year. Eat half his salary to increase the return. That should be priority.

Or wait until the trade deadline when he doesn't have another career year and get something less.

Last edited:

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio

CBJ fan here in peace. Let me ask this would a package for Hanifin and Lindholm to the CBJ for ‘23 1st (Los Angeles), ’23 2nd, ’24 1st (Top 10 protected), Corson Ceulemans, Roslovic, Bean, Luca Del Bel Belluz

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

If the Flames want to go the rebuild route, than it is smart. But the Flames are going to be mediocre, as it is in their DNA.

The Flames will go in the season with Sutter as the head coach, Lindholm and Backlund on the roster and with little changes.

They shit the bed and Lindholm and Backlund walk.

The team needs to rebuild but the ownership won't let that happen.

Reactions: redfire11

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
CBJ fan here in peace. Let me ask this would a package for Hanifin and Lindholm to the CBJ for ‘23 1st (Los Angeles), ’23 2nd, ’24 1st (Top 10 protected), Corson Ceulemans, Roslovic, Bean, Luca Del Bel Belluz
so you want youngish top pair D and a youngish top line C but aren’t offering a top asset in return? Good luck with that.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
so you want youngish top pair D and a youngish top line C but aren’t offering a top asset in return? Good luck with that.
Look not trying to offend Ceulemans is a 1st round big RD and Luca is a Center who was picked high in 2nd and was supposed to be a 1st round pick. If this isn’t then who do you want not named KJ, Jiricek, Marchenko, Sillinger or Mateychuk. Remember this is not extended. They both could decide not to sign.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Look not trying to offend Ceulemans is a 1st round big RD and Luca is a Center who was picked high in 2nd and was supposed to be a 1st round pick. If this isn’t then who do you want not named KJ, Jiricek, Marchenko, Sillinger or Mateychuk. Remember this is not extended. They both could decide not to sign.
I don't think its offensive, just way too much quantity over quality. To me, a Lindy/Hanifin package is pretty reminiscent of the Huberdeau/Weegar-Tkachuk trade. The Flames currently lack star power and that sort of package should return a young player, in the Hamilton-Tkachuk range. If you're not willing to part with that sort of player, there's not much to discuss. I really don't see the Jackets being in a position to make this sort of deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino