McKenzie: Arizona looking for established young players for Hanzal (mod)

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
If the Coyotes want established players, why don't they keep Hanzal?

Because they hope all the prospects/picks they acquire for him will turn into players like Hanzal, who they'll trade away when they become too old again. Rinse and repeat.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I wonder if Edmonton could fool Arizona into giving Hanzal+ for Eberle.

Keeps both teams situation virtually identical when the expansion draft comes up.
Don't ask me what the + would be, but we'd be moving Hopkins to the wing until we trade him for a d-man in the off-season.

Would be very happy to sign Hanzal to a long term contract to play as our 3rd line center to play shutdown minutes.

Don't ask me what the + from Arizona would be. Obviously everyone would argue about it will the cows come home.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Eberle's a winger ... not really interested. We need centers.

Ideally, it'd be someone young and promising, but not yet actually really valuable in the NHL, like a Mark Jankowski from CGY or a Radek Faksa in DAL. A team that's in a position to push all in who would send us their 20-22 year old, 3/4/5C in exchange for Hanzal, straight up or close to straight up. They'd be giving up 3-4 years of value in exchange for a huge upgrade at center for this year's playoffs.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
SJ: Tierney
TB: Namestnikov
DET: Sheahan, Athanasiou
BOS: Spooner
CLB: Jenner, Karlsson
NYI: Strome
NYR: Lindberg

I think these are the type of guys the Coyotes will look for. Guys that are somewhat established, some of which might be exposed in the expansion draft. Some are easier than others to acquire obviously, but the Yotes need some centers now. Coyotes have pieces to add for the right player.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto has a real need for a #4 centerman who is able to play defensively and with grit. I don't think we really have anyone in the system with promise.

How about Kapanen for Hanzal?

I think Arizona would likely need to add a bit, but not much. Maybe a 3rd?

I think it would fit with what we are trying to do, and give toronto a solid veteran who can play in the bottom 6. A good mentor for Kadri as well.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
i wonder if nick shore from la would hold any interest for coyotes ? young already above average defensively good f/o Obviously not straight across but as a main piece? I would love to hear what Coyotes would want from la for him

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

I think these are the type of guys the Coyotes will look for. Guys that are somewhat established, some of which might be exposed in the expansion draft. Some are easier than others to acquire obviously, but the Yotes need some centers now. Coyotes have pieces to add for the right player.

For Hanzal? Can't speak for the other teams, but the Jackets' response to that is "lol keep dreaming"

* * *​
Better off doing Karlsson+ from Columbus for Hanzal.

Um. We like Karlsson enough that we would insist on the + being on the other side. Not at all reasonable for Arizona under those circumstances, but...

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
i wonder if nick shore from la would hold any interest for coyotes ? young already above average defensively good f/o Obviously not straight across but as a main piece? I would love to hear what Coyotes would want from la for him

Nick Shore is a warm body. Probably Amadio + 1st round pick would be the main piece.

Pierre Lebrun

Nov 3, 2014
Habs shouldn't touch him. Fragile 2C/3C. Only way it makes sense is if he and DD are swapped contract-wise and ARZ wouldn't do that.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Not to mince words, but how established is established?

Hawks gave up Marko Dano and Philip Danault at the deadline last spring. Hawks gave up Klas Dahlbeck and Rangers gave up Anthony Duclair in 2015. These guys were all under 82 NHL GP, but they're "established players." Team don't trade away vital pieces of their roster, but they do trade 20 year olds all the time. I think the point is that the Coyotes don't want a 2017 1st as much as they want a young player who can suit up for the NHL team two days after the trade.

Yeah I see us wanting someone like Dano. Could be in the NHL on a team with less depth. Or someone like Spooner, who is in the NHL but isn't really a good fit on his current team.

Eberle's a winger ... not really interested. We need centers.

Yeah we need a C, but our best RW right now is Vrbata. Eberle would be a great get for the team. Cap hit isn't really an issue moving forward. And it would give Dvorak and Strome an established 50-60 point winger to play with.

We also have Stone as trade bait, we could use him to get a C. Hanzal+ (conditonal 2nd + meh prospect?) for Eberle. Stone for Spooner.

Reactions: ck26

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Doubt Detroit would move either Sheahan or Athanasiou for Hanzal, Considering that there's no guarantee that he would resign there.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Toronto has a real need for a #4 centerman who is able to play defensively and with grit. I don't think we really have anyone in the system with promise.

I think it would fit with what we are trying to do, and give toronto a solid veteran who can play in the bottom 6. A good mentor for Kadri as well.

4C??? Hanzal might be injury prone but he's a decent 2C but a great 3C on a contender. He's been around a 50 point pace in each of the last 3 years.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Lehkonen + 2nd for Hanzal and doan

Another LHS, LW, meh.
Some team would likely offer a 1st instead of a 2nd...

And I doubt Doan wants to go anywhere. Montreal is also probably not near the top of his list of places he'd like to go. And he would have 100% say on if and where he gets traded.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006

[mod] Why does Toronto trade Kapanen for a UFA rental? If Toronto wants Hanzal, they just have to wait until July 1st.

Last edited by a moderator:

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Another LHS, LW, meh.
Some team would likely offer a 1st instead of a 2nd...

And I doubt Doan wants to go anywhere. Montreal is also probably not near the top of his list of places he'd like to go. And he would have 100% say on if and where he gets traded.

Don't worry their is no chance MTL would trade Arturri Lehkonen for Hanzal.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
It's funny how fans of Pacific Division teams all recognize Hanzals value while a lot of eastern fans think he's 3/4C......

It's like they actually watch him play on a regular basis or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad