McKenzie: Arizona looking for established young players for Hanzal (mod)

hockeyheadlines

Oct 9, 2016
Canada
Do you honestly think no team will outbid that at the deadline for a 6"6 center that can matchup against the best centers in hockey? Hanzals value is much different for a playoff stretch then it is in free agency. To some teams he might even have more value as a rental then he would with a long expensive contract. Hanzal is exactly what conetenders are dying to add for a cup run. Luckily for the Coyotes, Hanzals value is worth far more to gms trying to win this year then posters who judge his value based on point totals.

I tagged him at that value to our team. If other teams want to overpay for him, that's fine too.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Do you honestly think no team will outbid that at the deadline for a 6"6 center that can matchup against the best centers in hockey? Hanzals value is much different for a playoff stretch then it is in free agency. To some teams he might even have more value as a rental then he would with a long expensive contract. Hanzal is exactly what conetenders are dying to add for a cup run. Luckily for the Coyotes, Hanzals value is worth far more to gms trying to win this year then posters who judge his value based on point totals.

Has nothing to do with point totals, and more the fact that he spends roughly 30% of his career on the IR. What use is a guy in a playoff run if he ends up getting injured halfway through it?

nzoilerfan

May 18, 2011
can see EDM offering young D like B Davidson for Hanzal then using RNH as trade bait in a package for offensive RHD.

TheGhost

Jun 11, 2015
Salmon Arm, BC
can see EDM offering young D like B Davidson for Hanzal then using RNH as trade bait in a package for offensive RHD.

I wouldn't actually be surprised if there's a trade sometime in the new year that involves Davidson to Arizona, but I'd expect that Edmonton's target would be Stone, as opposed to Hanzal. I doubt that a straight-up one for one would work, but as a basis it's an intriguing idea at least.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Goligoski, Hanzal, Vrbata for Burakovsky, Orpik, 1st, some other future asset

Orpik is overpaid but he's an NHL caliber 4/5 D who is has leadership abilities and whatnot. Not an asset with value but Phoenix could use him during rebuilding for mentoring DeAngelo/Chychrun, his contract also runs out sooner. Caps need a veteran PMD to ideally push Orlov down to the bottom pairing

Burakovsky is blue chip nhler who is struggling but has 30+ goal potential, had a 17 goal/38 point season at 20.

1st is a 1st

IDK what other futures coyotes may need, we have a bunch of goalie prospects, some center prospects who project around Cody Eakin level, etc.

Vrana-Hanzal-Vrbata would be a sweet Czech line and Goligoski-Niskanen would be a neat pairing after they got traded for each other

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I can't see the Coyotes taking Orpik back. Love the guy, but that contract is yours for three more years. Doubt they trade Goligosky. Hanzal to the Caps makes sense to me. No idea if you need Vrbata or not, but I doubt they'd object to moving him at this point. Definitely a deal to be made there, but I don't think it includes moving Goligosky for Orpik. Rearrange some pieces.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Orpik has 2 more years after this one and he's been good this season, just not what we need in the top 4 if we're pushing for a cup and too expensive to play on the bottom pairing where we have no complaints about his play. He'd play good minutes for the Coyotes and expire just as Chychrun is hitting his stride to take his place at LD and they're starting to become competitive. He's also cheaper in his last year than his cap hit.

Burakovsky is a Duclair level prospect (better IMO but I don't feel like arguing it) so he's part of the overpayment for making it work.

Vrbata is good to have for instant chemistry with Hanzal and scoring depth for the playoffs.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The concept of Arizona trading Goligoski this season isn't remotely realistic. It's not going to happen. Burakovsky would be great, but I don't see us nabbing him for Hanzal and Vrbata, even if we retain the max on both.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
From the Habs perspective I'd give up the 2017 1st rounder, Desharnais for cap reasons, and Charles Hudon for Hanzal.

The list of available UFA's this year is not great. Hanzal is probably the cream of the crop and is kept all the way up to trade deadline. Supply and demand will drive the price up.

1st round pick, mid tier prospect, and another player for Cap reasons sounds about right.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Orpik has 2 more years after this one and he's been good this season, just not what we need in the top 4 if we're pushing for a cup and too expensive to play on the bottom pairing where we have no complaints about his play.

I get the motivation for the trade from you. You dump the worst value contract on the team, upgrade the D, and get two good rentals. And to your immense credit, you actually offered pieces of real value to incentivize the other team to help you. I just don't think you can convince the Coyotes to downgrade their D and take on a three year deal and trade two of their best deadline chips all in one deal, even though the pieces you offered on Bukarovsky and the 1st were really nice assets.

Like I said, I love Orpik as a player. Just wouldn't touch that contract. Especially on a budget team where real dollars matter, and when the player is older and on the decline.

I still can't see Goligoski going anywhere either.

Hanzal and Vrbata, sure. Send Eller if you need to dump cap and add something intriguing.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Are only forwards of interest to ARI? Pokka\Gustafsson and a 2nd could otherwise work. I doubt McNeill\Kero\Baun\Rasmussen are of interest and these are the only forwards the Hawks have that are NHL ready.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Are only forwards of interest to ARI? Pokka\Gustafsson and a 2nd could otherwise work. I doubt McNeill\Kero\Baun\Rasmussen are of interest and these are the only forwards the Hawks have that are NHL ready.

Right handed forwards, particularly who can play center are the area of weakness for Arizona. 1st & McNeill is probably about right.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I stopped reading after one word.

Coyotes traded for Goligoski's negotiating rights and signed him to a 5-year contract with a no-movement clause 29 games ago. He's not going anywhere.

You don't think he'd waive to come to a contender like Washington? The NMC is to guard him against bottom feeders or cities he doesn't like

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
You don't think he'd waive to come to a contender like Washington? The NMC is to guard him against bottom feeders or cities he doesn't like

No, I don't, and I'll tell you why - the deal he negotiated is one that gives him stability rather than a chance to win. Now, that may change in a couple of years but I honestly do not believe he's going to waive less than a year after signing the deal.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Goligoski, Hanzal, Vrbata for Burakovsky, Orpik, 1st, some other future asset

Orpik is overpaid but he's an NHL caliber 4/5 D who is has leadership abilities and whatnot. Not an asset with value but Phoenix could use him during rebuilding for mentoring DeAngelo/Chychrun, his contract also runs out sooner. Caps need a veteran PMD to ideally push Orlov down to the bottom pairing

Burakovsky is blue chip nhler who is struggling but has 30+ goal potential, had a 17 goal/38 point season at 20.

1st is a 1st

IDK what other futures coyotes may need, we have a bunch of goalie prospects, some center prospects who project around Cody Eakin level, etc.

Vrana-Hanzal-Vrbata would be a sweet Czech line and Goligoski-Niskanen would be a neat pairing after they got traded for each other

This proposal is incredibly poorly thought out from a Caps perspective. First off, the requisite motivation for the Coyotes isn't there. I'm not entirely sure it's there for the Caps either. You're asking for a good, valuable roster player (Goligoski) and two of the best rental pieces form an obviously rebuilding team. You're simultaneously trying to pawn Orpik off as a Cap Dump (which is not how the Caps view him at any level) and trading Burakovsky at his likely lowest value. You'd be hard pressed to construe a worse bargaining position for the Caps than the one you've created here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad