McKenzie: Arizona looking for established young players for Hanzal (mod)

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I don't think any team wants to give up anything for Hanzal especially if his contract is up after this season and they can just sign him as a free agent of Arizona doesn't resign.

Kind of ignoring what happens at the trade deadline. UFA's are traded for picks and/or prospects every year.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
What does Columbus' expansion list look like today?

Both of those guys could end up exposed, but that's not going to sell us on the idea. If we trade one of them for Hanzal, we end up potentially losing both - one to trade and one to expansion. Better to have one than neither. :)

Retaining Hanzal would theoretically help there, but in that case we could just pursue him in the UFA market instead - and we probably wouldn't in any case, as we have other higher-priority guys to retain (Wennberg especially, and to a lesser extent Anderson) and we sure as heck won't be the only team thinking of doing that post-expansion so contract demands might get a little absurd.

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
Kind of ignoring what happens at the trade deadline. UFA's are traded for picks and/or prospects every year.

But is Hanzal really worth a fair amount in picks? He's an average 10-15 goal scorer that never plays a full season. Not to mention he probably wants nothing less than 2.5 mil.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Jets got Marko Dano, what turned out to be the 22nd overall pick and a conditional 3rd (condition not met as Chicago didn't win the cup) For Andrew Ladd who looks like he has seriously fallen off a cliff or something... and looked that way all last year...

Difference between Hanzal and Ladd, 1 is a winger, 1 is a center... another difference tho, Ladd has won Stanley Cups so Chicago valued his veteran leadership and playoff experience (eventho he sucked with them last year)

I don't think Hanzal gets more than Ladd got.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I'm not sure why Arizona would think they'd be getting an established young player for an unrestricted free agent.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'm not sure why Arizona would think they'd be getting an established young player for an unrestricted free agent.

The ask is often different than what's offered. That being said if you are asking why the ask, well AZ has plenty of promising top rated prospects already and needs players to fill gaps until talent can assume their role.

Hanzal a likely ask in terms of a new contract will be in excess of $5M. Don't care if you agree. That will be the ask.

Last edited:

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
That's nice, but if it's true, I'm wondering when Arizona remembers a UFA being traded for an established young player. Has it happened in Chayka's lifetime? What makes Hanzal different?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Hanzal + Stone for RNH + ???

There's an expansion draft. And a salary cap.

And people are already *****ing about Lucic's salary, wait until the older, oft-injured Hanzal gets his contract. That'll be a doozy.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Hanzal will be a hot commodity as a rental ... here are his last 4 seasons of faceoff percentages, while usually playing against one of top two lines.

54.5%
56%
56.5%
54.5%

In terms of money and cap space it is going to cost a team ~$1m to acquire and play him as a rental. Add that to that fact that he has a reputation as a physical d-first player, and than add that he is BIG and I'm sure one or more teams would pay a high-ish price for him to be their 3rd line centre.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
That's nice, but if it's true, I'm wondering when Arizona remembers a UFA being traded for an established young player. Has it happened in Chayka's lifetime? What makes Hanzal different?

There are a few examples I can think of off the top of my head. Some teams have been willing to part with established young players for UFA trades, though I agree that is rare.

Kovalchuk returned Bergfors (who had 21 goals that season) though it was Kovalchuk, and there other pieces on either side

Legwand returned Jarnkrok - who was not "established" but about as close to ready as anyone could have considered a prospect.

Kim Johnsson returned Cam Barker (but Leddy was part of the trade too)

It is generally accepted now that you should expect a much bigger return if you make the trade when the guy has a year to run (e.g. Ryan, Lucic, O'Reilly, Yandle) but I don't see any reason why a prospect-rich team like Arizona couldn't do deal structured like the ones above (Hanzal + prospect for young player + mid round pick) or bundle him with Stone for a bigger return.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
An "established player" needn't be a 24 year old. He just mustn't be a 2017 draft pick. Almost every contender has a 2013-2014 draftee who has developed nicely and who would be able to step into ARZ's lineup straight away. Him + a 2nd or 3rd round pick would do splendidly for Hanzal.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Tierney is far fetched, yes. He's a solid center already, like Martinook.

Maybe someone like Scott Laughton could be available if the Flyers decide they really want to make a run this year. It's looking likely that Laughton won't be protected for the ED.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I don't know about Hanzal, but I would love for the Leafs to get their hands on Stone before the season ends.

Early negotiation, and is the type of player our defense needs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hanzal has size and is a very solid center. He will be sought after and he's not going anywhere till trade deadline. Unless someone wants to really overpay for him.

Personally, I pass on him. He's not elite status and not worth the prospects and picks you will have to pay to get him.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Really? It's just so far-fetched to think that maybe Arizona could be offered guys like Riley Sheahan, Chris Tierney, or Ryan Spooner for Hanzal?

I guess, I just assumed they meant decent young player.

hockeyheadlines

Oct 9, 2016
Canada
Hanzal has size and is a very solid center. He will be sought after and he's not going anywhere till trade deadline. Unless someone wants to really overpay for him.

Personally, I pass on him. He's not elite status and not worth the prospects and picks you will have to pay to get him.

Hanzal is a pure rental and nothing more. If we're to give up anything of value, I'd look elsewhere and make a hockey trade for a player with term.

I'd pass also.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
Dale Weise was traded for Philip Danault from Chi along with a 2nd. I expect soemthing similar is what Arizona is after.. someone who can step in and lay right away, like Danault. Obviously you wont be getting top 6 talent.. maybe theyre looking for young depth on bottom 6 like Danault was. I doubt they get more

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
SJ: Tierney
TB: Namestnikov
DET: Sheahan, Athanasiou
BOS: Spooner
CLB: Jenner, Karlsson
NYI: Strome
NYR: Lindberg

I think these are the type of guys the Coyotes will look for. Guys that are somewhat established, some of which might be exposed in the expansion draft. Some are easier than others to acquire obviously, but the Yotes need some centers now. Coyotes have pieces to add for the right player.

Jeebus this is overpayment. Jenner/Strome/Spooner for rental? :laugh:

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Jeebus this is overpayment. Jenner/Strome/Spooner for rental? :laugh:

Not just talking about Hanzal. The Coyotes have lots of other assets they can trade as well. Expansion's coming and teams are going to have to make choices. Coyotes are one of the teams with open protection spots available and plenty of prospects and young players that don't have to be protected.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad