Confirmed Trade: [ARI/NJD] Taylor Hall (50%), Speers for c. 1st, Cond. Pick, Kevin Bahl, Nate Schnaar & Nick Merkley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Arizona needs to sell tickets. This was a P.R. move more than a hockey move imo. They want to show their fans they are serious about winning. But I'm sure the GM and whoever their owner is know they aren't (And weren't) going to be legit cup contenders.

Reactions: Morrison

awegrzyn

Jun 17, 2014
Kind of off-topic, but can the cap go down? Is there any way they can do that?

Of course, they can do an ugly escrow next year...

I said this for a year now. Not only can it go down, it will. There is no other way. Or a lockout. Cap was unsustainable already in that insane asset bubble created for 10 years. 1 normal correction and half of those teams will go belly up. When the distressed Devils were purchased, the attendance was bad. Nothing has changed much. Attendance is still the same if not worse, but the expenses almost doubled.

Cap of 2005 was $39,000,000. Today it should be: $51,500,000. It is: $81,500,000. Whoever set the cap, set NHL for a failure.

Last edited:

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Arizona needs to sell tickets. This was a P.R. move more than a hockey move imo. They want to show their fans they are serious about winning. But I'm sure the GM and whoever their owner is know they aren't (And weren't) going to be legit cup contenders.
they don't need to be cup contenders. But to miss the playoffs again? In a pretty weak division? Ugly.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I said this for a year now. Not only can it go down, it will. There is no other way. Or a lockout. Cap was unsustainable already in that insane asset bubble created for 10 years. 1 normal correction and half of those teams will go belly up. When the distressed Devils were purchased, the attendance was bad. Nothing has changed much. Attendance is still the same if not worse, but the expenses almost doubled.

Cap of 2005 was $39,000,000. Today it should be: $51,500,000. It is: $81,500,000. Whoever set the cap, set NHL for a failure.

Didn't the union have to accept a pay-cut on already set contracts some years ago? Yeah, this will be ugly, if the league looses a billion dollar (made-up number) on the playoffs being cancelled.

Reactions: Morrison

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Hall was on an awful Devils team and a highly defensive Yotes team this year. In the right situation Hall will be an elite player again. Someone will back the truck up for him but it better not be the wrong team.
Believe it or not, since Hall last played for the Devils (December 10), the Devils are playing as the #1 Wildcard in the East at a 1.18 points per game pace.

NHL Standings 2019-2020

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ

Fans of teams that typically make the playoffs think in a different manner. It was, in fact, a hockey move to make it to the playoffs, and maybe even through one round. The team hadn't done that in seven seasons (now eight), so it was certainly the right move at the time. At least none of the Coyotes fans thought of the team as Cup contenders. but we would have welcomed a mere playoff appearance.

Chayka's mistake was not cutting losses at the trade deadline, when the writing was on the wall that the team was in a free-fall.

Reactions: Name Nameless

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

Escrow fixes pretty much everything you complain about.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
Hall was on an awful Devils team and a highly defensive Yotes team this year. In the right situation Hall will be an elite player again. Someone will back the truck up for him but it better not be the wrong team.
Devils before Hall trade were 10-17-5 and after 18-11-7. Go figure.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Didn't the union have to accept a pay-cut on already set contracts some years ago? Yeah, this will be ugly, if the league looses a billion dollar (made-up number) on the playoffs being cancelled.
Where is the rest of the money going and why should players not accept less?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think this effects Hall during free agency. He signs with a contender and then they turn into a basement team.

I mean if I was Hall, given his situation, I would take a three-year discount with the Tampa Bay Lightning.

But I see him signing a stupid deal from either Nashville, Columbus, Dallas, LA, or Philly.

With that being said, this could be the worst trade in Coyotes history.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think this effects Hall during free agency. He signs with a contender and then they turn into a basement team.

I mean if I was Hall, given his situation, I would take a three-year discount with the Tampa Bay Lightning.

But I see him signing a stupid deal from either Nashville, Columbus, Dallas, LA, or Philly.

In no way are Arizona, or Edmonton, or Jersey contenders.

Reactions: Guttersniped

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
Signing a "one year deal to bet on yourself and make bank after" is never a smart decision for any player. This is hockey, all it takes is one second and your career is either done or permanently damaged. If Hall's options were sign say a 7x7 deal or sign a 7x1 in the hope of signing 9-9.5x7 the year after the only smart play is to sign for seven years right away.

Definitely not the move for a guy with an injury history like Hall

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Money is money. Can't fault him for taking guaranteed term at an AAV likely exceeding 8 million.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Edmonton is definitely a contender. Perhaps not a front runner, but a contender nonetheless.
idk about that. I view a contender as a team that either waltzs into the playoffs with little worry about missing them and/or is known to elevate a lot in the playoffs. Neither describes the Oilers right now

awegrzyn

Jun 17, 2014
Escrow fixes pretty much everything you complain about.

Escrow has nothing to do with what I wrote, and I'm not complaining. You did not understand my post. Averaged out CAP will simply put about 10 teams in financial distress all the time, because revenue for those 10 bottom markets is not the same as top 10. Those bottom 10 can never have the same talent, as they have to keep their CAP low, in order to keep expenses low, unless it's that special year or 2 when they have a shot.

Escrow is not fair and ironically technically incorrect, because if the club is losing money, what is the limit of money they should take from players? Take all players money in order to save the club? Obviously not, so Escrow is not the answer as it will not save clubs, and could screw players. The answer is more of an open market approach: Peg the Cap (start 2005) to 17 most common necessities (inflation), and let clubs make money in good days, and lose money in bad days. Dissolve the unions. Anything else will simply fail and is silly to even consider. This will protect the players and the clubs, and create parity.

Right now NHL is on a train heading straight for lockout. I don't even want to write about this, as this is economics 101, and has been tested for decades.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
idk about that. I view a contender as a team that either waltzs into the playoffs with little worry about missing them and/or is known to elevate a lot in the playoffs. Neither describes the Oilers right now
A playoff team with the two best players in the world? Like I said they're not strong contenders but would anyone be shocked if they win a round or three?

Reactions: Mr Positive

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Can you blame Arizona for trying? They've been sitting on their hands, drafting in the mid teens every draft year, so they figured they try and go all the way this time. Unfortunately, from the games that I've seen, the players on the Coyotes have become far too reliant on Hall to get things going. They forgot that they themselves are good hockey players too and can make offensive plays happen.

It also does not help that the Coyotes get injuries from their most important player (Kuemper) at the most inopportune time.

Reactions: Mr Positive

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Yeah it's called goaltending go being up the save percentages for their goalies before blackwood got his mojo going on.

I think it's more to do with who they have up on defense, and how the forwards save a few, are really backchecking. Even tonight, they're doing a decent job.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Hall had 2 goals his last 12 games

he's most certainly a huge part of the blame

I watch every game and am a Coyotes fan. He's not. Tocchet coaches a terrible heavy trap system that does not generate any sort of offensive pressure. This team is scoring the same as the injury plagued team last year despite adding a healthy Kessel, Hall, and Schmaltz. Tocchet also unnecessarily f***s around with the lines - he took the one player Hall had instant chemistry with (Garland) off Hall's line and stuck him with Kessel, who has been a boat anchor.

They generate little to no offense and have to play mistake free hockey to even have a chance at winning. They haven't been doing that.

Hall and Garland are the only two Coyotes that consistently tilt the ice and now Garland is injured, possibly done for the year.

Hall actually had a great zone entry vs Calgary and then found himself 1v5 because everyone else was lazily changing. He's stuck on a bad team that is badly coached and he has had mostly nothing to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad