Confirmed Trade: [ARI/NJD] Taylor Hall (50%), Speers for c. 1st, Cond. Pick, Kevin Bahl, Nate Schnaar & Nick Merkley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Came into this thread expecting to read about Taylor Hall, however, for some reason I'm reading about Mitch Marner. Why do Leaf fans turn threads into the Leafs even when it's supposed to be about someone else?

ya it’s almost never leaf “fans”. It’s more often “fans” of other teams who are more obsessed with the leafs than their own teams.

it’s bizarre but you will get used to it

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Marner is 22. When Hall was his age he hadn't even sniffed 90 points and Marner is going to have 90+ points back to back.

Give him 4 or 5 years and yeah, he probably would. Right now I am 100% confident he could put up Hall's pace in Arizona.

Like I said, I don't really care as I have no dog in the fight. As long as neither Leafs or Canes sign Hall (which I don't see either having interest), let some other sucker of a team pay the man.

Love people comparing raw point totals across completely different eras with absolutely no context.

Hall's 50 points in his 3rd season, which was a shortened lockout season, in which he was 22 years old, ranked 9th in the NHL. His era-adjusted points that season were 95.

The following season, his 4th, at the age of 23, he ranked 6th in the NHL with 80 points. His era-adjusted points were 89.

He also missed time in both seasons. He ranked 7th in points per game in his age 22 season and 6th in points per game in his age 23 season.

Marner finished 15th in points per game in each of the past two seasons.

Oh, and Hall did this playing on the Oilers. Marner by comparison was playing with Matthews and Tavares on one of the league's top offensive teams.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Mitch Marner is a way better player then Taylor Hall... offensively and defensively.

If there’s an overrated player in the league, Taylor Hall is the first name that comes to mind. The guy is a perennial loser.
Your dead wrong. Marner has been a complete liability while regressing on offence on a team that is built to score. Have you actually watched the Coyotes? They are a complete bore with a team system that is all about D. Marner if he played with them would be a 60 point player, while Hall with the Leafs would be insane.

Reactions: Fixxer

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
A part of this trade that was thought to have faded was the second conditional pick. It is now looking possible given the NHL's push to have an expanded playoffs of some sort. With Kuemper healthy and a two month layoff, anything can happen and a 1st round win is certainly within the realm of possibility. Provided Arizona wins a round, the next two questions are quite simple, does Hall like it in Arizona enough to sign long term and two, is Hall worth both a contract and a possible unprotected 2021 1st with a potential NHL punishment looming as well. I for one would love to see Arizona go on a long run to see where their mind is at with Hall.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
ya it’s almost never leaf “fans”. It’s more often “fans” of other teams who are more obsessed with the leafs than their own teams.

it’s bizarre but you will get used to it
Yeah thats why it happens hahaha. Speaking of Bizarre actually thinking this is why leaf players are brought up in every thread isnt about the insecurities of leaf fans. Now thats Bizarre.

A part of this trade that was thought to have faded was the second conditional pick. It is now looking possible given the NHL's push to have an expanded playoffs of some sort. With Kuemper healthy and a two month layoff, anything can happen and a 1st round win is certainly within the realm of possibility. Provided Arizona wins a round, the next two questions are quite simple, does Hall like it in Arizona enough to sign long term and two, is Hall worth both a contract and a possible unprotected 2021 1st with a potential NHL punishment looming as well. I for one would love to see Arizona go on a long run to see where their mind is at with Hall.

Great point!

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Love people comparing raw point totals across completely different eras with absolutely no context.

Hall's 50 points in his 3rd season, which was a shortened lockout season, in which he was 22 years old, ranked 9th in the NHL. His era-adjusted points that season were 95.

The following season, his 4th, at the age of 23, he ranked 6th in the NHL with 80 points. His era-adjusted points were 89.

He also missed time in both seasons. He ranked 7th in points per game in his age 22 season and 6th in points per game in his age 23 season.

Marner finished 15th in points per game in each of the past two seasons.

Oh, and Hall did this playing on the Oilers. Marner by comparison was playing with Matthews and Tavares on one of the league's top offensive teams.

I always hate when people on these boards extrapolate point totals like they actually happened. They didn’t.

Furthermore Marner plays PK too which I don’t believe Hall does all that much.

Look both Hall and Marner are elite wingers. One a LW and the other a RW. They will be considered some of the best of this generation, the question is will they elevate their team to a SC.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I always hate when people on these boards extrapolate point totals like they actually happened. They didn’t.

Furthermore Marner plays PK too which I don’t believe Hall does all that much.

Look both Hall and Marner are elite wingers. One a LW and the other a RW. They will be considered some of the best of this generation, the question is will they elevate their team to a SC.

Nobody is actually extrapolating these totals and saying they happened; I literally said what actually happened in the post, then showed how this grades out when you apply the slightest bit of context.

The alternative is to act like Keith Acton’s 1981-1982 season where he finished 28th in league scoring with 88 points was a superior point output to Jamie Benn’s 2014-2015 season where he led the league with 87 points.

Last edited:
Reactions: Discipline Daddy

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Your dead wrong. Marner has been a complete liability while regressing on offence on a team that is built to score. Have you actually watched the Coyotes? They are a complete bore with a team system that is all about D. Marner if he played with them would be a 60 point player, while Hall with the Leafs would be insane.

Hall next to Tavares would be unreal.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I kind of hope Hall signs in Arizona because he seems to be a good fit there. He was scoring at a good pace, already getting closer in scoring to guys who were there the whole year (highest scorer on the team (Nick Schmaltz), had 45 points in 70 games).
I agree that a 1st round win might help for Hall to want to stay, but that conditional pick gets higher if things fall in place for Arizona. It's not a win-win situation, but maybe Hall helps Arizona and the Devils get a good pick and it helps them move forward with their youth movement. Arizona has the potential to surpise in the 1st round with healthy goalies (1a/1b) and with Hall added to the mix.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

As the trade was made with the understanding that "winning a playoff round" means a round of 16, I think the Coyotes could argue convincingly that winning a round of 24, but losing in the 16, does not qualify. Although I'm sure they prefer to re-sign Hall anyhow. Previously I thought Hall would sign in Boston, but the flat cap might prevent that. Here's hoping it does, at least.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Some of the worst hot takes of all time in this thread:popcorn: thanks for the entertainment ya goobers

Reactions: Linds

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
As the trade was made with the understanding that "winning a playoff round" means a round of 16, I think the Coyotes could argue convincingly that winning a round of 24, but losing in the 16, does not qualify. Although I'm sure they prefer to re-sign Hall anyhow. Previously I thought Hall would sign in Boston, but the flat cap might prevent that. Here's hoping it does, at least.
Hopefully the NHL makes the call on how to treat these types of conditions before games are played so there isn't bad blood later on.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

I thought Hall made it clear that he wanted to play for a playoff team. If you win the opening round, doesn't that theoretically mean that Arizona is a playoff team? Now, once the Coyotes actually play past that point, should they get blasted in the "1st round" against a Las Vegas or a different team, then Hall has to question whether or not this team is going to grow and be a playoff contender for years or if that sours him toward the Coyotes. The longer the Coyotes stay in, one has to assume that bodes well for Hall to re-sign, but theoretically should Arizona beat Nashville, it would satisfy the request of Hall to play in the playoffs. So, yes, winning the opening qualifying round, in essence does what Hall was hoping for with looking for a trade and a team.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
New Jersey gets the short end of the stick here with the play in rules. ARZ was trending downward. The pick could go from top 10 to 15+.

One thought about the trade. I wonder if Arziona calls up New Jersey and tries to get help clearing a bad contract. It only makes sense doesn't it? New Jersey would have incentive to help Arizona facilitate a Hall extension. Especially if Arizona has won a playoff round, the 2021 3rd round pick would upgrade to a 2021 1st round pick.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
New Jersey gets the short end of the stick here with the play in rules. ARZ was trending downward. The pick could go from top 10 to 15+.

One thought about the trade. I wonder if Arziona calls up New Jersey and tries to get help clearing a bad contract. It only makes sense doesn't it? New Jersey would have incentive to help Arizona facilitate a Hall extension. Especially if Arizona has won a playoff round, the 2021 3rd round pick would upgrade to a 2021 1st round pick.

Devils don't have their second although they do own the Isles, but I wouldn't hesitate to take on salary for that.

I would assume the main cap dumps would be Stepan (6.5), Goligoski (5.385), Hjalmarsson (5), Demers (3.9375), or Raanta (4.25) whose contracts all expire at the end of next year. Don't see where the Devils could fit Stepan. Devils would likely be very interested in Hjalmarsson and also Goligoski. Devils already have Severson-Subban on the right side, but I'd take Demers if need be. Raanta could 1B with Blackwood if the Devils move on from Schneider.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Devils don't have their second although they do own the Isles, but I wouldn't hesitate to take on salary for that.

I would assume the main cap dumps would be Stepan (6.5), Goligoski (5.385), Hjalmarsson (5), Demers (3.9375), or Raanta (4.25) whose contracts all expire at the end of next year. Don't see where the Devils could fit Stepan. Devils would likely be very interested in Hjalmarsson and also Goligoski. Devils already have Severson-Subban on the right side, but I'd take Demers if need be. Raanta could 1B with Blackwood if the Devils move on from Schneider.
Stepan is the only player you listed that’s overpaid.

Reactions: 7even

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Stepan is the only player you listed that’s overpaid.

Not saying they are overpaid, just if the goal is to shed salary or cap space, those seem like they are likely candidates. Devils most likely would pay market value for these players, but know they are getting a better pick out of it in that scenario so it ends up as a win anyways.

Did not realize Hossa's contract is still on-going, but that would obviously make more sense.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Well past the thread limit.

We can open a part II if we feel we still need to discuss the merits of the trade conditions with the pending Playins/Playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad