Confirmed Trade: [ARI/NJD] Taylor Hall (50%), Speers for c. 1st, Cond. Pick, Kevin Bahl, Nate Schnaar & Nick Merkley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Marner is 22. When Hall was his age he hadn't even sniffed 90 points and Marner is going to have 90+ points back to back.

Give him 4 or 5 years and yeah, he probably would. Right now I am 100% confident he could put up Hall's pace in Arizona.

Like I said, I don't really care as I have no dog in the fight. As long as neither Leafs or Canes sign Hall (which I don't see either having interest), let some other sucker of a team pay the man.
Who is Marner playing with?

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
This question is flawed in the basis that Marner had 61pts as a rookie playing with JVR and Bozak who weren’t much better than Halls worst line mates. He’s only gotten noticeably better since then. I’m not saying that he’s definitely better than Hall but it’s not as easy as saying “oh well he plays with Tavares or Matthews lolz” better line mates also don’t mean more points anyway. Hall himself looked at his most out of place with McDavid.

Reactions: Fixxer

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
that's great, but the numbers don't lie...2 points in his last 5 games, both against the Flames...so he's been held pointless in 4 of his last 5 games

for a team dying for offense, and a supposed "driver" of offense...he's not getting it done

There isn't many people in the league that drive an entire offense by themselves.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Mitch Marner is not better than Taylor Hall lol

Marner’s point totals are massively inflated due to his linemates/PP

Mitch Marner is a way better player then Taylor Hall... offensively and defensively.

If there’s an overrated player in the league, Taylor Hall is the first name that comes to mind. The guy is a perennial loser.

Reactions: Deam78

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
As I said earlier in the thread that got some backlash, I didn't like this deal at all and didn't think Hall moved the needle for that team. They had a hot start on the back of some unsustainable goaltending, and somehow their management failed to see that, even though they are an analytical heavy front office.

I've also maintained since last summer that Hall contract would be a mistake, but I think he is playing himself out of big money. Unless a team like the Islanders get desperate for an "elite" winger up front and pay him, I don't see him breaking over 8M.

And honestly, given his recent play and injury history, even 8M at term seems like a cap dump situation waiting to happen.

Ya I am in the same boat as you. I despised this deal when it happened and still do and got alot of backlash.

And also I agree that his next contract will be a massive mistake... but I disagree that he wont break that 8 mill mark. I truly believe a team will go nutty and give him a massive contract over that 8 mill per(I predict 9-10 per)... and itll make me sick when it happens lol.

Everywhere the guy goes, somehow a losing culture happens. Could be a complete coincidence with the only 3 teams he has played for they nosedive in the standings or maybe there is more that we dont know.

Either way, I would stay far a way as possible. A long term big deal will be extremely regrettable

Jshort12

Mar 19, 2018
Mitch Marner is a way better player then Taylor Hall... offensively and defensively.

If there’s an overrated player in the league, Taylor Hall is the first name that comes to mind. The guy is a perennial loser.

Put Marner on all the teams Hall has played for over the years, you would be giving him the same treatment

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Ya I am in the same boat as you. I despised this deal when it happened and still do and got alot of backlash.

And also I agree that his next contract will be a massive mistake... but I disagree that he wont break that 8 mill mark. I truly believe a team will go nutty and give him a massive contract over that 8 mill per(I predict 9-10 per)... and itll make me sick when it happens lol.

Everywhere the guy goes, somehow a losing culture happens. Could be a complete coincidence with the only 3 teams he has played for they nosedive in the standings or maybe there is more that we dont know.

Either way, I would stay far a way as possible. A long term big deal will be extremely regrettable

You talk as though any of the teams were good when they got him. Arizona's regression is due far more to their goaltending faltering that anything else. New Jersey made the playoffs in their 2nd season with him (their only time doing so since 11-12) and then missed last year, when he missed almost 50 games. Edmonton has had marginal success, at best, since his departure and they have developed arguably the two best forwards in the league since he left (after 1yr of overlap where they were both teens, and every top 6 forward besides Hall missed between 10 - 40 games).

There are some valid criticisms to be made to Hall's game - he won't work with every C, including some very high end ones, and he plays a very N-S style - but the fact is, he can drive a line from the wing. If you have another go-to guy on one of your top lines (something that Hall's teams have never had), you're in very good shape.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Hall is a loser but Marner helps the leafs barely make the playoffs with the loaded team based on their fans?

Reactions: nihlify

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
They gave up nothing for a winger who'se last 3 seasons were 82, 92, and 70 points. For a scoring starved roster, that move was a no brainer. For me, I'd still make that deal even knowing how poor Kessel's year would be this season.

Ari gave up Galchenyuk, who still had positive trade value at that point.

And P O Joseph. I haven't followed him this season, but he was a fairly resent 1st round pick defenceman, he also had positive trade value. I don't know if you mean to say he is now labelled a bust, but he wasn't at the time of the trade.

Surely nothing, this is.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

Kessel has had a pretty good career no? the two seasons prior to this he had 174pts to Tavares 172.

lamest argument ever. Discount a 21 year old that racks up 94pts because of who he played with. probably think draisaitl and kucherov arent good either eh?

Reactions: Hitemwith4

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
With all of the uncertainty around the league from a cap perspective do you think Hall would be more inclined to sign a big long term deal now before finding out the cap levels off or decreases?

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
With all of the uncertainty around the league from a cap perspective do you think Hall would be more inclined to sign a big long term deal now before finding out the cap levels off or decreases?

It's a good question and I wonder the same thing about Petro as well (as a blues fan). Take a fairly sizeable contract now (if it's on the table) or wait for the dust to settle and hit UFA? If you can get a "fair" contract with a large signing bonus, I would probably take it now. Are the NHL offices even open right now to approve contracts?

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Hall is a loser but Marner helps the leafs barely make the playoffs with the loaded team based on their fans?
Does anyone say the Leafs are loaded anymore? Top loaded maybe. If anything they’re a little underrated as even their fan base is constantly complaining about their work ethic and being lazy or “disappointing” despite being a playoff team. Most people talk about the Leafs like they’re a complete joke rather than an average team.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This question is flawed in the basis that Marner had 61pts as a rookie playing with JVR and Bozak who weren’t much better than Halls worst line mates. He’s only gotten noticeably better since then. I’m not saying that he’s definitely better than Hall but it’s not as easy as saying “oh well he plays with Tavares or Matthews lolz” better line mates also don’t mean more points anyway. Hall himself looked at his most out of place with McDavid.

Marner is noticeably better cause he is not playing with Bozak and JVR anymore. He's playing with Matthews and Tavares. You put Marner on the Habs and he has a hard time putting up Domi numbers.

Marner is good yes. How good? Hard to say cause he is playing on a stacked offensive forward group in the top 6F. That is reality

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'm a Coyotes fan and I love Taylor Hall. I still love the original trade was a great move by Chayka. I'd have fired the coaching staff in January and if the team didn't turn around by the TDL, I'd have re-traded Hall and recouped assets. But hating the decisions made by the team after the original Hall trade, don't make me dislike the original deal. If I could give Hall an 8yr deal, a full NMC and the captaincy, I'd do it in a second.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Marner is 22. When Hall was his age he hadn't even sniffed 90 points and Marner is going to have 90+ points back to back.

Give him 4 or 5 years and yeah, he probably would. Right now I am 100% confident he could put up Hall's pace in Arizona.

Like I said, I don't really care as I have no dog in the fight. As long as neither Leafs or Canes sign Hall (which I don't see either having interest), let some other sucker of a team pay the man.

marner has 300 games in his career now... 83 goals and 291 points
hall due to injuries required 5 seasons before he got into 299 games... 106 goals/263 points

hall played hurt and played on a bottom pairing team without any real help where opposition could target him and check him to death.

marner has really benefited the last 2 years having taveres a top 20 player in the league to pass the puck to... hall never had anyone remotely of that talent to pass the puck to.

give marner credit for sure... he's is a great little offensive pass-first winger.
but trying to slam hall because marner managed a 90 point season seems a bit silly

hall had 80 in 75 games his 4th year in the league... give him 8 more points in his other 7 games for a full season and that seems like hes sniffing 90 to me.

for what its worth Edmonton/Toronto are the two markets I listen to their media the most so probably the second/third teams I know the best after my bruins. im not a fan of either team but I follow them. if I had to wish for either hall or marner on my team... id wish for hall. I do think hes the better winner. he might be cursed but he competes hard in big games. he was a total stud in the ohl memorial cup. I just think he is wasted on bad teams

marner... ive seen him pull too many disappearing acts for my comfort and I have no faith he would buckle down and play defense even if the situation called for it. great scorer, but not my type of winner player

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I'm a Coyotes fan and I love Taylor Hall. I still love the original trade was a great move by Chayka. I'd have fired the coaching staff in January and if the team didn't turn around by the TDL, I'd have re-traded Hall and recouped assets. But hating the decisions made by the team after the original Hall trade, don't make me dislike the original deal. If I could give Hall an 8yr deal, a full NMC and the captaincy, I'd do it in a second.
Please do, NJ would like an additional 2nd. Make the finals next year as well ;)

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Kessel has had a pretty good career no? the two seasons prior to this he had 174pts to Tavares 172.

lamest argument ever. Discount a 21 year old that racks up 94pts because of who he played with. probably think draisaitl and kucherov arent good either eh?

kessel sort of plays when he gives a damn... which isnt too often. if you dont cover him with top checking and let him coast around and cherry pick and run up the score on the pp then hes impressive. great talent at putting the puck in the net when opportunities are handed to him.

I certainly wouldnt say kessel carries a team or a line or creates much opportunites. hes been quite a failure anytime a team tried to use him on their top line as their goto player.

are we comparing kessel to Tavares? is that what we are doing here? really?? wow

id be kind of embarrassed if this hot take was ever attributed to me so I probably shouldnt say more about it just in case my reputation did get tied to it... wow...

I mean kessel is very talented shooting and skating if no one is playing hard defense against him so I suppose he might be qualified to carry taveres jock strap over to the laundry... I suppose... maybe...

damn now I am comparing the two of them after all... ok im out of here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad