Speculation: Are the Vancouver Canucks going to Take Another Run at PK Subban

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Non of those names interest me but I agree lets avoid Myers and Gardiner deals. If I had to pick one of those names I suppose Polak would be it but really non are top 4 quality. Adequate 3rd pairings though. Colin Miller is a player I'm interested in trading for but he's a guy that would fit beside Edler more then Hughes though.
Miller would be ok if it were a cheap acquisition. In my model though that would mean Subban and Hughes would be paired together which would be fun to watch but also a real adventure defensively.
Those players are all horrible and a lateral move or downgrade on Biega and Schenn.
Still would rather those names over Myers or Gardiner overpayments. I for one too would be perfectly fine just playing Schenn with Hughes.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Miller would be ok if it were a cheap acquisition. In my model though that would mean Subban and Hughes would be paired together which would be fun to watch but also a real adventure defensively.

Still would rather those names over Myers or Gardiner overpayments. I for one too would be perfectly fine just playing Schenn with Hughes.
Hughes with Subban would be an awful idea im sorry that would be horrible. Schenn would be better as a partner for Hughes then Subban and even that would be a bad idea. Schenn is too slow to cover for Hughes rushes. Subban and Hughes together and nobody would be playing defense.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Hughes with Subban would be an awful idea im sorry that would be horrible. Schenn would be better as a partner for Hughes then Subban and even that would be a bad idea. Schenn is too slow to cover for Hughes rushes. Subban and Hughes together and nobody would be playing defense.
Completely agree, I'm still using the model that Tanev is gone in a Subban deal here. Ideally Edler would be paired with Subban, but then you mentioned you would want Miller with Edler. Another guy that maybe would fit the mold would be Braun in San Jose. They will be somewhat tight to the cap it looks like with Meier, Pavelski and EK65 needing extensions. Thornton may retire so that would help them in terms of spreading his money to cover but he could be a decent fit and a good partner for Hughes as well. Maybe Sutter with retention + something could work if Thornton did retire they would need a 3C.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Completely agree, I'm still using the model that Tanev is gone in a Subban deal here. Ideally Edler would be paired with Subban, but then you mentioned you would want Miller with Edler. Another guy that maybe would fit the mold would be Braun in San Jose. They will be somewhat tight to the cap it looks like with Meier, Pavelski and EK65 needing extensions. Thornton may retire so that would help them in terms of spreading his money to cover but he could be a decent fit and a good partner for Hughes as well. Maybe Sutter with retention + something could work if Thornton did retire they would need a 3C.
If Tanev is a must move for Subban I suppose someone all defense with speed can be found for Hughes. Someone of the Bret Hedican mold if we can find one like he use to be. If we did get Subban I'd pass on Miller though. Edler Subban, Hughes defensive Dman would be the ideal situation for me. Then Hutton/ Stecher with Juolevi the first call up. Biega Schenn would be the 7/8.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
If Tanev is a must move for Subban I suppose someone all defense with speed can be found for Hughes. Someone of the Bret Hedican mold if we can find one like he use to be. If we did get Subban I'd pass on Miller though. Edler Subban, Hughes defensive Dman would be the ideal situation for me. Then Hutton/ Stecher with Juolevi the first call up. Biega Schenn would be the 7/8.
Agreed, which is why I think Braun could be an interesting guy to move Sutter for if the opportunity presented itself. Tanev + for Subban, Sutter + for Braun:
Edler-Subban
Hughes-Braun
Hutton-Stecher
Schenn
Utica: Biega & Juolevi

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Agreed, which is why I think Braun could be an interesting guy to move Sutter for if the opportunity presented itself. Tanev + for Subban, Sutter + for Braun:
Edler-Subban
Hughes-Braun
Hutton-Stecher
Schenn
If we can get Braun for Sutter sign me up that solves 2 problems in one shot. Gets us a RHD for Hughes and gets rid of Sutter and opens up more minutes for Gaudette in the middle.

Reactions: THE Green Man

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
If we can get Braun for Sutter sign me up that solves 2 problems in one shot. Gets us a RHD for Hughes and gets rid of Sutter and opens up more minutes for Gaudette in the middle.
It's definitely a long shot. All will depend on if Thornton comes back again or not and then after that whether they even have the cap space to do it. They have a lot of work to do to resign players this offseason.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I'd rather take the risk and save Trouba from the 'peg than go with a chemistry breaker like Subban. Arguably you need less assets to aquire a Trouba and I believe Trouba is younger, and stuck behind big buff, has not peaked yet.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Edler-Subban
Hughes-Braun
Hutton-Stecher
Schenn

There is no way that SJ has the slightest interest in Brandon Sutter.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
There is no way that SJ has the slightest interest in Brandon Sutter.
If Thornton retires then they will be in the market for a 3C. That being said, with extensions needed for Meier, Pavelski, Karlsson and Labanc it would definitely be tight. I wonder if Braun may be on the block regardless if they manage to keep Karlsson to free up some money for the other 3 forwards

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If Thornton retires then they will be in the market for a 3C. That being said, with extensions needed for Meier, Pavelski, Karlsson and Labanc it would definitely be tight. I wonder if Braun may be on the block regardless if they manage to keep Karlsson to free up some money for the other 3 forwards

San Jose has immaculate pro scouting and cap management. They have 7 top-6 forwards and then the other 5 guys make $5 million combined. They use their system to develop cheap depth and will continue to do so, and given the actual good players they want to bring back, there's no way in hell they give $4.5 million to a broken-down Brandon Sutter.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
San Jose has immaculate pro scouting and cap management. They have 7 top-6 forwards and then the other 5 guys make $5 million combined. They use their system to develop cheap depth and will continue to do so, and given the actual good players they want to bring back, there's no way in hell they give $4.5 million to a broken-down Brandon Sutter.
They are definitely a team with great management. More or less I was chucking out names for defencemen that we could bring in to play with Hughes if Tanev were to be moved in a package for Subban. The Sutter thing was a quick thought of maybe we can get lucky, not really me getting wheels on the ground and running with that idea.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
They won't pay their 3C 4.375MM, that's for sure. There's a reason they are a consistently top team in this league and we're languishing near the bottom trying to scrabble up a muddy hill.
Again, the only reason I brought San Jose into the discussion was more or less regarding Braun. I guess I was hopeful to get out of the Sutter contract while adding a RHD to replace Tanev in my hypothetical scenario Tanev at 50% retention is the centre piece in a Subban deal.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Man if any of our prospect wingers had a decent year it would make these proposals alot easier, i dont see a deal where we can offer the preds what they would want

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Tanev for Subban 1 for 1.
It would take more than that. But Tanev at full retention would be a good base for a move. The Preds get a THD top 4 replacement to shelter Fabbro. Then move Tanev down a pair to play with Hamhuis when Fabbro is ready for more minutes. This would also open up 6.75M in cap for them.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I've always said that if Tanev is the main piece for P.K it is something even I'd be interested in. Having said that I have zero interest in it if it involved a 1st or any of our main prospects.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I've always said that if Tanev is the main piece for P.K it is something even I'd be interested in. Having said that I have zero interest in it if it involved a 1st or any of our main prospects.

of course you would have interest if it was Tanev for PK, because it entirely rips of Nashville. If you want to acquire a high caliber player through a trade, you have to feel like you lose something too, that's the only way it will work for both sides.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Subban is a dressing room problem and is in decline but I would be delighted to trade for him and the only 3 years remaining on his deal relative to the abomination contracts Benning would be spending that money on otherwise for a much longer term.

Reactions: MikeK

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
of course you would have interest if it was Tanev for PK, because it entirely rips of Nashville. If you want to acquire a high caliber player through a trade, you have to feel like you lose something too, that's the only way it will work for both sides.

Actually, if you would re-read my post you'd see I posted "if Tanev is the main piece". Not sure about you but I think that's quite clear I wasn't implying straight up. Obviously there would need to be more but how much more is the question none of us knows.

Reactions: Hit the post

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Subban is a dressing room problem and is in decline but I would be delighted to trade for him and the only 3 years remaining on his deal relative to the abomination contracts Benning would be spending that money on otherwise for a much longer term.

Subban is a big personality and that can get under the skin of some people. He's not a problem child who goes out of his way to cause problems. As long as the players and Subban are open with each other and don't let any resentful feelings fester, there shouldn't be an issue.

It all comes down to the acquisition cost. If Nashville trades him for a package that is more based around cap relief and values a right shot replacement like Tanev highly, the deal "could" be very palatable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad