Speculation: Are the Vancouver Canucks going to Take Another Run at PK Subban

Feb 19, 2018
Interesting but if were taking Turris and Subban that's a crazy cap add of 15 million we have to send some back. Sutter most definitely is going other way. How about Subban and Turris for Sutter, our 2019 2nd and Juolevi?

More you add on the return the higher the picks become and more expensive the deal becomes. We can afford to add the 15 million and need both positions so I don’t see too much of a risk. Would just need to fill out that top line left winger and we’d be in the conversation at least around the Hockey world.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
More you add on the return the higher the picks become and more expensive the deal becomes. We can afford to add the 15 million and need both positions so I don’t see too much of a risk. Would just need to fill out that top line left winger and we’d be in the conversation at least around the Hockey world.
I'm being generous with offer Turris is another possible Eriksson in making did you see his past season? He's 29 and has 5 years remaining at 6 per. I'm not saying he's done but is that a risk your willing to take for 5 more years? If were taking Turris there taking Sutter for 2 years. Otherwise no thanks they can keep Turris and Subban those are both high money deals and were not close to anything just yet so what's point taking big risk? The point is to win the Cup not just make the playoffs we need alot more then just adding Subban to be in that conversation. So why take unnecessary risk now by burdening us with contracts as long as Turris's unless we can dump one of our own bad deals in Sutter?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
That would be a brilliant trade but there’s no way a GM as good as David Poile goes for a package that bad in a trade with a negotiator as bad as Jim Benning.

If a deal like this happens, expect it to be for something like Gaudette plus our 2020 #1. And maybe throw Tanev in there for good measure.

It will be the 10th overall this year if the deal happens. Benning was prepared to give up a top 5 overall pick, a 10th would not be out of reach for Nashville. If they aren't prepared to do the 10th OA, we likely aren't getting PK.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
They wont trade 10th overall with the draft in Vancouver.
Unless they want another riot.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
They wont trade 10th overall with the draft in Vancouver.
Unless they want another riot.
JB - "How is coming out of the 2019 draft with a Norris Dman bad?"

IMac - "Canucks make brilliant move to take Canucks D to top 5 in league"

BBoys - "OMG it's only a 10 OA, they work out less than 50% of the time, a probably bust for a Norris Dman. OMG OMG OGM this is great."

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
JB - "How is coming out of the 2019 draft with a Norris Dman bad?"

IMac - "Canucks make brilliant move to take Canucks D to top 5 in league"

BBoys - "OMG it's only a 10 OA, they work out less than 50% of the time, a probably bust for a Norris Dman. OMG OMG OGM this is great."

Bang on... I thought I was actually reading an Ishil... I mean an Imac article.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
The only way this would make sense for what we would have to give up is if Tanev at 50% retention plus Goldobin is the start of the base in the deal. This would lower future assets needed for us to add and would give Nashville a good and more importantly cheap Subban replacement opening up 6.75M in cap space for them.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
The only way this would make sense for what we would have to give up is if Tanev at 50% retention plus Goldobin is the start of the base in the deal. This would lower future assets needed for us to add and would give Nashville a good and more importantly cheap Subban replacement opening up 6.75M in cap space for them.
Be very stupid to trade Tanev now as he's a great partner for Hughes next year. Tanev lets Hughes take the chances and he covers for him as only he can do with his calming presence on defense.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Be very stupid to trade Tanev now as he's a great partner for Hughes next year. Tanev lets Hughes take the chances and he covers for him as only he can do with his calming presence on defense.

The Tanev that has never played a full season due to injury? The Tanev that will be a pending UFA heading into the season and will no doubt be looking at his last big payday of his career?

Tanev will be 30 this year and if he's the base for a P.K deal than even I'd be interested.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
If you can add a talent like Subban without giving up a 1st round pick or good future pieces you have to do it. Subban theoretically may be a little lower cost due to Nashville wanting to move him for salary reasons. Add in that they would be getting back a top 4 RHD in Tanev at only 2.25M while they are still trying to compete would be massive value to them. If you are so worried about Hughes after maybe you throw fat money on a short term deal to Stralman.
Edler-Tanev
Hughes-Stralman
Hutton-Stecher

Reactions: mossey3535

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
If you can add a talent like Subban without giving up a 1st round pick or good future pieces you have to do it. Subban theoretically may be a little lower cost due to Nashville wanting to move him for salary reasons. Add in that they would be getting back a top 4 RHD in Tanev at only 2.25M while they are still trying to compete would be massive value to them. If you are so worried about Hughes after maybe you throw fat money on a short term deal to Stralman.
Edler-Tanev
Hughes-Stralman
Hutton-Stecher
Getting Subban without a giving up a first or futures is great but who actually plays with Hughes then? Were not only weak on right side for puck moving dman but behind Tanev we've Stecher, Schenn and Biega no clue about Rafferty. Stecher and Hughes would be scary small pairing, Schenn is slow as f*** to cover Hughes rushes, Biega sadly would be best bet and he's nothing special. Anton Stralman I highly doubt is coming here barring stupid money at which time why not just offer the 9 million for Subban and Stralman stupid money to Karlsson? As much as Tanev is made of glass and upcoming UFA we need him this coming season for Hughes. Now if you can get Stralman for reasonable money or someone of his ilk beforehand sure Im on board with trading Tanev for Subban.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
The Tanev that has never played a full season due to injury? The Tanev that will be a pending UFA heading into the season and will no doubt be looking at his last big payday of his career?

Tanev will be 30 this year and if he's the base for a P.K deal than even I'd be interested.
You still need someone to replace him first for Hughes partner then and only then I'd move Tanev. This upcoming season is more about development then winning so we need to make sure we make it as smooth sailing as possible for Hughes.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Getting Subban without a giving up a first or futures is great but who actually plays with Hughes then? Were not only weak on right side for puck moving dman but behind Tanev we've Stecher, Schenn and Biega no clue about Rafferty. Stecher and Hughes would be scary small pairing, Schenn is slow as **** to cover Hughes rushes, Biega sadly would be best bet and he's nothing special. Anton Stralman I highly doubt is coming here barring stupid money at which time why not just offer the 9 million for Subban and Stralman stupid money to Karlsson? As much as Tanev is made of glass and upcoming UFA we need him this coming season for Hughes. Now if you can get Stralman for reasonable money or someone of his ilk beforehand sure Im on board with trading Tanev for Subban.
I find it funny that you make it seem Stralman coming here is a longshot but EK65 isn't. If we can simply sign Karlsson then sure I'd much rather that but I see that even more far fetched than getting Stralman. Alternatively we could just target lesser guys on a cheap deal like Lovejoy, Mcquaid, Polak or Engellund to play with Hughes for a season or two. If you can upgrade your top RHD who is a pending UFA after next season for minimal future assets you do it no questions asked.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I find it funny that you make it seem Stralman coming here is a longshot but EK65 isn't. If we can simply sign Karlsson then sure I'd much rather that but I see that even more far fetched than getting Stralman. Alternatively we could just target lesser guys on a cheap deal like Lovejoy, Mcquaid, Polak or Engellund to play with Hughes for a season or two. If you can upgrade your top RHD who is a pending UFA after next season for minimal future assets you do it no questions asked.
I don't think we have a shot at Karlsson but even less so of Stralman to be honest. You can only go so high on Stralman before it's considered stupid as he will be a vet looking to sign with many close to winning teams and really how much more can we pay him then say a contender? Karlsson is different in that we could in theory offer him 12 but who really else can that has the cap space? Im not saying were getting him but if were over paying for one Id much rather pay Karlsson 12 then Stralman 6? I dont watch Stralman much myself but Ive read he's really slowed down as well compared to even 2 years ago so not sure he's even an answer to be honest. If he's still decent I don't see him leaving TB.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
I don't think we have a shot at Karlsson but even less so of Stralman to be honest. You can only go so high on Stralman before it's considered stupid as he will be a vet looking to sign with many close to winning teams and really how much more can we pay him then say a contender? Karlsson is different in that we could in theory offer him 12 but who really else can that has the cap space? Im not saying were getting him but if were over paying for one Id much rather pay Karlsson 12 then Stralman 6?
Stralman is coming off of an injury filled season where he only played 47 games. His price tag could be lower than you think and who really knows what his driving force will be this contract. One possibility absolutely could be the cup which many assume, however money talks. On a 2 year deal I'm fine with having a higher AAV so that his money comes off the books when Hughes and EP40 need to get new contracts. Alternatively, like I said there are 4-5 other UFA's who are not very high profile and we could get on 2 year deals that would be adequate partners for Hughes.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Stralman is coming off of an injury filled season where he only played 47 games. His price tag could be lower than you think and who really knows what his driving force will be this contract. One possibility absolutely could be the cup which many assume, however money talks. On a 2 year deal I'm fine with having a higher AAV so that his money comes off the books when Hughes and EP40 need to get new contracts. Alternatively, like I said there are 4-5 other UFA's who are not very high profile and we could get on 2 year deals that would be adequate partners for Hughes.
Yes no idea what Stralman wants or will do I agree. What other UFA's do you believe would be adequate partners for Hughes? Also hearing Colin Miller possibly available from Vegas I wouldn't mind getting him to play alongside Edler if we resign him. Not sure what the cost would be for Miller but Vegas is in cap trouble themselves. Even hear William Karlsson might be made available but I'd assume they would move others before him to be honest.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Yes no idea what Stralman wants or will do I agree. What other UFA's do you believe would be adequate partners for Hughes? Also hearing Colin Miller possibly available from Vegas I wouldn't mind getting him to play alongside Edler if we resign him. Not sure what the cost would be for Miller but Vegas is in cap trouble themselves. Even hear William Karlsson might be made available but I'd assume they would move others before him to be honest.
Lovejoy, Engellund, Mcquaid and Polak are all UFA's as well as Girardi and Coburn. None are great names but particularity the first 4 I'd be fine with for a season or two. Let's say for arguments sake we do move Tanev with retention for Subban and run this:

Edler(2yr 6M)-Subban
Hughes-Polak(2 yr 3M)
Hutton(2yr 3.5M)-Stecher

By no means is it a great group but adequate enough and most importantly avoids the Myers or Gardiner overpayments.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Lovejoy, Engellund, Mcquaid and Polak are all UFA's as well as Girardi and Coburn. None are great names but particularity the first 4 I'd be fine with for a season or two. Let's say for arguments sake we do move Tanev with retention for Subban and run this:

Edler(2yr 6M)-Subban
Hughes-Polak(2 yr 3M)
Hutton(2yr 3.5M)-Stecher

By no means is it a great group but adequate enough and most importantly avoids the Myers or Gardiner overpayments.
Non of those names interest me but I agree lets avoid Myers and Gardiner deals. If I had to pick one of those names I suppose Polak would be it but really non are top 4 quality. Adequate 3rd pairings though. Colin Miller is a player I'm interested in trading for but he's a guy that would fit beside Edler more then Hughes though.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Edler(2yr 6M)-Subban
Hughes-Polak(2 yr 3M)
Hutton(2yr 3.5M)-Stecher

Those players are all horrible and a lateral move or downgrade on Biega and Schenn.

Reactions: Katani Kalan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad