Speculation: Are the Vancouver Canucks going to Take Another Run at PK Subban

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Rumor is that he got caught cheating his teammates at poker games...shuffling from the bottom and **** like that.He basically ripped them off for tens of thousands while making more than all of them.

Doesn't sit well.

He also drew a fake door on a wall and when Rinne tried to run through it he broke his nose. It was fine after the commercial but it's still a jerk move.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Of all the players in the league Subban was voted by his peers as the most overrated player in the NHL with a quarter of the votes. I think that speaks volumes.

it really does. it was a list of guys considered stars who are not respected for reasons not always obvious to the public. laine was second but has time in his career to turn it around. you pretty much do not want any veteran player on the top of that list on your team and especially not a dman.

karlsson made top 5.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Subban’s term is only 3 more years. I would way rather have him at 9 mil for 3 more years than Myers or Gardiner at 7x7.

I agree with the spirit of this, but keep in mind what it would cost to get Subban in the first place.

Reactions: Love

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I agree with the spirit of this, but keep in mind what it would cost to get Subban in the first place.

this. i'd much rather have myers for nothing, pay him less and endure the additional term.

subban for nothing at current salary on a 3 year term i suppose would be a different discussion. i would not be enthusiastic, but there would be a short term gain over current personnel and i could live with it taking a holistic view of the entire team and the road not taken on alternatives.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Subban is one of those players that when he is on his game he is an absolute game changer. The 17/18 season he was exactly that. When he's not on his game he's a pretty run of the mill #4 type guy (like this year). Even the worst case scenario makes him better than anyone else on the canucks blueline... He's also not really an iron man type guy either having only played about 67 games in 3 of the last 4 seasons.

THat said, I don't think I'd pay that hefty of a price for him.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
That’s like saying Steven Stamkos is overpaid because Nathan Mackinnon makes under 7 million.
Not quite a fair comparison...PK is the highest paid D in the NHL and is at the bottom of the top 50 in defence scoring which is supposed to be his strength. He cashed in on one good year with Mtl but his contract is terrible for the return and the ego that comes with him.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
this. i'd much rather have myers for nothing, pay him less and endure the additional term.

subban for nothing at current salary on a 3 year term i suppose would be a different discussion. i would not be enthusiastic, but there would be a short term gain over current personnel and i could live with it taking a holistic view of the entire team and the road not taken on alternatives.

Myers for 7 years could literally cost us a Cup if you think this team has a window to compete circa 2021-2026. Subban will be off the books before this team has a chance of winning anything.

The only thing I care about is not having bad players on bad contracts past 2021 or 2022 that will ruin the next (hopefully competent) GM's chance of actually doing something here.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I’d rather have neither if this GM is involved. He’d pay too much to acquire Subban and/or pay too much to sign Myers (with probable NMC which will expose an asset to the expansion draft).

RobsonStreet

Jun 4, 2004
With every possible move it’s worth asking, “how hard will it be for the next GM to get rid of this contract if it’s a disaster?”. To that end, the shorter the term, the better. Put another way, would you rather have Sobotka or Beagle on this team next year?

Because I can’t see EP or Horvat being included a deal (easily the two most important players on the team, don’t @ me), I’d take Subban over Myers without hesitation.

Reactions: MS

RobsonStreet

Jun 4, 2004
Not quite a fair comparison...PK is the highest paid D in the NHL and is at the bottom of the top 50 in defence scoring which is supposed to be his strength. He cashed in on one good year with Mtl but his contract is terrible for the return and the ego that comes with him.

For some reason, this is still a hot take: total points by a defenceman (as a statistic) is like wins by a pitcher (as a statistic) in baseball.

Reactions: MS

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Subban is a great defenseman who had a down year. I'd try to buy low on him for sure, only has 3 more years left so his contract really isn't that bad compared to what else would be out there for Benning to try to 'bolster' the defense corps this summer.

Reactions: THE Green Man

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I bet you Subban gets traded for Kessel. Or something like that where Nashville has to take on a significant contract but still stays competitive.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
For some reason, this is still a hot take: total points by a defenceman (as a statistic) is like wins by a pitcher (as a statistic) in baseball.

Yup. Completely driven by PP usage.

If you put Chris Tanev on the top-unit PP all year and he miraculously stayed healthy, he'd be a '40 point defender'. Our PP would suck, but he'd still score 15-20 points there.

Reactions: MikeK

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Yup. Completely driven by PP usage.

If you put Chris Tanev on the top-unit PP all year and he miraculously stayed healthy, he'd be a '40 point defender'. Our PP would suck, but he'd still score 15-20 points there.

Absolutely. Sadly, Tanev would buckle like I use to after tequila shots. He's this Canucks generation of Sami Salo. A great hockey player but his body just can't keep up.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

Ugh, this is so out of touch with reality. One good year? Huh?

Merely looking at hockey db and making conclusions is backwards thinking.

Subban has always had fantastic underlying numbers and is miles better defensively than he’s given credit for.

Subban in 2017/2018 played in a defensive deployment, ate up his minutes and scored at a ~60 point pace.

He was nominated for the Norris trophy. To call a player who’s been nominated for the best defender in the league award 3 times a player with only 1 good season is absolutely insane.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ugh, this is so out of touch with reality. One good year? Huh?

Merely looking at hockey db and making conclusions is backwards thinking.

Subban has always had fantastic underlying numbers and is miles better defensively than he’s given credit for.

Subban in 2017/2018 played in a defensive deployment, ate up his minutes and scored at a ~60 point pace.

He was nominated for the Norris trophy. To call a player who’s been nominated for the best defender in the league award 3 times a player with only 1 good season is absolutely insane.

Absolutely.

I have concerns about Subban off-ice and concerns his body is starting to break down and his skating fall off as he passes 30, but was pretty clearly a top-5 defender in the league for about 5 years.

Reactions: RIP Botchford

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Absolutely. Sadly, Tanev would buckle like I use to after tequila shots. He's this Canucks generation of Sami Salo. A great hockey player but his body just can't keep up.
Sadly if the Canucks could ever reach a point where they're actually 'controlling the puck and driving zone possession numbers', a guy like Tanev would be a completely different d-man.

But right now, he's just another guy on the back end, beaten down by the endless z-zone cycle, which forces the blueliners to take punishment and block howitzers from just about anywhere on the ice.

Maybe this coming season, it could happen.;

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
Absolutely.

I have concerns about Subban off-ice and concerns his body is starting to break down and his skating fall off as he passes 30, but was pretty clearly a top-5 defender in the league for about 5 years.
Perhaps if he is such a solid top-5 defender for 5 years you could explain why team Canada has never given him so much as a sniff?

I get that his stats are decent but there is obviously something about him on a team that is cancer.

A hard pass for me.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Perhaps if he is such a solid top-5 defender for 5 years you could explain why team Canada has never given him so much as a sniff?

I get that his stats are decent but there is obviously something about him on a team that is cancer.

A hard pass for me.
Terrible logic.

Claude Giroux gets the same treatment from Team Canada as Subban does.

Guess he’s not an elite forward and not worth his contract either?

Give it a rest, you’re completely wrong.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Pump the brakes with the faux outrage, he used his best season in MTL and a solid playoff run to secure an 8 year contract...never said he didn't have more than one good year as a defenceman.

Like what are you even arguing here? He improved at ice hockey and was able to sign a big contract after being named the top defender in the sport at the age of ~25?

Since he’s signed that contract he’s been a widely regarded as a top 5 dman in the league.

Like what on earth are these arguments?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad