Speculation: Are the Vancouver Canucks going to Take Another Run at PK Subban

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Subban is a big personality and that can get under the skin of some people. He's not a problem child who goes out of his way to cause problems. As long as the players and Subban are open with each other and don't let any resentful feelings fester, there shouldn't be an issue.

It all comes down to the acquisition cost. If Nashville trades him for a package that is more based around cap relief and values a right shot replacement like Tanev highly, the deal "could" be very palatable.

He’s worn out his welcome with 2 teams in 3 years and one of them is one of the best organizations in the sport.

It isn’t just that he’s a big personality, it’s that he has a reputation for being extremely selfish and being more concerned with getting himself on TV than actually being a team player and hasn’t fit well in dressing rooms.

But again, I’d be ok with acquiring him for the right cost if it means no franchise-crippling Myers disaster.

Reactions: THE Green Man

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
He’s worn out his welcome with 2 teams in 3 years and one of them is one of the best organizations in the sport.

It isn’t just that he’s a big personality, it’s that he has a reputation for being extremely selfish and being more concerned with getting himself on TV than actually being a team player and hasn’t fit well in dressing rooms.

But again, I’d be ok with acquiring him for the right cost if it means no franchise-crippling Myers disaster.

He hasn't worn out his welcome in Nashville though, he's just one of the easier players to move as his contract isn't too long term.

Nashville needs to a) make room for Josi's extension next season and b) make room for them to upgrade their 2C position as Turris has been a disappointment.

Moving out Subban's 9M helps them make a lot of cap room for both those potential moves.

It's like Hoffman in Florida, he's likely getting traded again this summer but that's because Florida needs to money to spend on Panarin and Bobrovsky. Not because of any off ice issues.

Reactions: RIP Botchford

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I agree with the sentiment depending on the acquisition cost of much rather have subban at 9million for the next 3 years than Myers for the next 7at 7 million.

I’d prefer neither but I dont see benning agreeing to that.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Subban's cap hit of $9m a season is mind-blowing, relative to what he brings. I can't believe even Jimbo is that desperate.

If the Canucks are going to make 'a hockey trade', they'd be better off targeting somebody like Trouba from the Jets, or one of the available d-men from Carolina.

Reactions: WestCoast CyberG

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Subban's cap hit of $9m a season is mind-blowing, relative to what he brings. I can't believe even Jimbo is that desperate.

If the Canucks are going to make 'a hockey trade', they'd be better off targeting somebody like Trouba from the Jets, or one of the available d-men from Carolina.

A $27 commitment to Subban that's off the books in 3 years is MILES better than a $50 million commitment to a far worse player in Myers for 7 years.

This is Jim Benning, so all we can hope for as fans is the least bad and franchise crippling option.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
A $27 commitment to Subban that's off the books in 3 years is MILES better than a $50 million commitment to a far worse player in Myers for 7 years.

This is Jim Benning, so all we can hope for as fans is the least bad and franchise crippling option.
Barney Fife would be dumb enough to give Myers a NMC as a further incentive to sign here. That's a protection spot wasted on him on the next expansion draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeK

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

Subban at 9 million is nowhere near a bad contract.

This guy is widely considered a top 10 defender in the league. If the Canucks were close to being a good team I would absolutely take a run at him.

Reactions: MikeK

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018

This is the underlying reason it would be a hard pass on PK for me, it would be a bad mix bringing in a polarizing player like him with our core leadership group in the beginning stages (Bo/EP/Brock). You need veteran leadership to keep his mouth and ego in check.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
This is just a thought, but does anyone think a "good room" is a little overrated? By a lot of accounts, our team this year had a lot of guys that seemed to get along pretty well, particularly the young guys. We'd all like to think it matters, as maybe it makes us feel good to think that nicer people have more success, but I'm not so sure it really does. Duncan Keith and Patrick Kane seem like dirt bags to me (although I don't know for sure), and that didn't stop them from winning 3 cups. Brett Hull was probably one of the most selfish players out there, and won 2 cups on teams with a lot of highly paid big personalities. Although he hasn't won a cup, I have a hard time believing Kesler is the most popular guy in the room.

A "good room" probably isn't completely worthless, but a lot less important than how they perform on the ice. Maybe PK's reputation allows us to acquire him at a discount for what a player of his calibre should get and we get significant on-ice contributions from one of the league's best defenseman. I think to some extent, as a professional you should be able to be a grown-up and put up with a teammate you don't like personally if he plays hard in the games and contributes.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
The room is pretty important.

Making it work for a guy who's maybe not as social as the rest is one thing, having the room vibe and integrity ruined with spite and negativity is a recipe for failure. Those teams fall apart down the stretch or eventually.

Reactions: Lonny Bohonos

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
PK Subban is not a bad room guy. He's just a very extraverted and outgoing guy. He's loud and brash. I honestly don't think that the Predators are tired of him and he hasn't ruined their dressing room. The only issue they have with him is his cap hit ($9M) and how it could hinder their chances to improve their top 6 forwards.

Subban's issues are just the fact that he doesn't act like an old school hockey guy. The younger players (who are the core of this team) will understand and accept the way Subban acts.

Reactions: RIP Botchford

Nov 1, 2011
PK Subban is not a bad room guy. He's just a very extraverted and outgoing guy. He's loud and brash. I honestly don't think that the Predators are tired of him and he hasn't ruined their dressing room. The only issue they have with him is his cap hit ($9M) and how it could hinder their chances to improve their top 6 forwards.

Subban's issues are just the fact that he doesn't act like an old school hockey guy. The younger players (who are the core of this team) will understand and accept the way Subban acts.

Rumor is that he got caught cheating his teammates at poker games...shuffling from the bottom and shit like that.He basically ripped them off for tens of thousands while making more than all of them.

Doesn't sit well.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I'd rather use the cap to buyout Marleau (2nd+3rd in 2019 or 1st 2020 or Kapanen+4th) and Callahan for a 1sts at the 2019 draft. Jimbo suddenly turned the home draft into a bonanza for the home fans.
As has been repeated many times in many places, Marleau's real salary after his roster bonus is paid is 1.25 million. There's no way the Leafs will have to use assets to move him.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Trouba's asking price for his next contract is probably going to be in the $8-9M range. But yes, if Trouba is willing to sign a long-term contract here he would be a great target but at what price?

PK Subban is not overpaid for the player he was for the Canadiens when he signed the contract. Right now he looks to be an aging player who has been on the decline, but at his best he is a much more dynamic than Trouba. In their primes and at the same age who is going to take Trouba over PK Subban? At his best PK Subban can carry a team to victory in the playoffs (or lose a game with his mistakes). Trouba lacks that ability. But ya given their age difference Trouba would be a much more attractive target.

Would you trade our 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th this year for Subban

Yes I would. Value wise you can easily turn around and trade Subban for a mid first round pick or late 1st + 2nd or late 1st + above average prospect. That's easily worth those picks.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Of all the players in the league Subban was voted by his peers as the most overrated player in the NHL with a quarter of the votes. I think that speaks volumes.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Of all the players in the league Subban was voted by his peers as the most overrated player in the NHL with a quarter of the votes. I think that speaks volumes.
I still think that’s partly to do with how much he gets paid.. he’s just one of those guys that others talk about because of his personality. I’d be ok with him on our team as long as we are not throwing away picks or our core (Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Hughes)... let’s be honest our powerless play could use him!

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
On a positive note, if the Canucks ever acquired Subban, he'd replace Eriksson as the favorite 'franchise whipping boy' by the quarter pole of the season....did anyone watch the guy in the playoffs for the Preds?...He was terrible. And they're a far better team than the Canucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad