Are the Leafs built to compete and win?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
You really believe Johnsson 6 games 0-1-1 point or Ennis 6 games 0-1-1 point are really helping in making the Leafs better and harder to play against, simply because they can skate?.
Johnsson is solid. Surely you have not given-up on him already. Give him time.
Ennis stinks. There wasn't an issue signing him. Babcock is overplaying him though.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
You really believe Johnsson 6 games 0-1-1 point or Ennis 6 games 0-1-1 point are really helping in making the Leafs better and harder to play against, simply because they can skate?.

Would you really not give Johnsson an extended look after the type of AHL season he just had?

“Play the kids....”

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Button is a notorious Leaf hater. I don't take any of his opinions seriously nor do I even bother listening to him.

No he isn't, on Leafs lunch he's can be very complimentary.

The last two games this team was well worth their share of criticsm. Now, do we to take it as far as questioning whether or not "were built to win" is likely taking it to far. But there are some concerning things that are persisting and developing with certain parts of this team.

Last edited:

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
No he isn't, on Leafs lunch he's can be very complimentary.

The last two games this team was well worth their share of criticsm. Now, do we to take it as far as questioning whether or not "were built to win" is likely taking it to far. But there are some concerning things that are persisting and developing with certain parts of this team.

Sure he is. He was wrong about a lot of things to do with the Leafs, I don't care if he gossips positively about the team. His reporting is always off, like when Nylander wouldn't finish the season as a Leaf last year for example. he always ranks them lower than most other people.

I agree, last two games (Especially against the Blues) deserve a lot of criticism. That is fair. However guys like Button wait for these moments to spew their BS.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Compete? For sure

Win games? Absolutely.

Win when it matters? Not convinced.

Win a series? Not convinced.

Win the Cup? No.

Very fun team to watch, but they are 2 defencemen short of truly doing something meaningful. Nylander could help rectify that with a good trade. I think Andersen can do the job with better defenders in front of him. You won't see 7-6 games in the playoffs, but Tavares and Matthews could use some balance in the back. Bowmeester was a scratch. Shattenkirk has been scratched. Two veterans who can skate and probably could use a change of scenery. And still move Nylander for something else.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Sure he is. He was wrong about a lot of things to do with the Leafs, I don't care if he gossips positively about the team. His reporting is always off, like when Nylander wouldn't finish the season as a Leaf last year for example. he always ranks them lower than most other people.

I agree, last two games (Especially against the Blues) deserve a lot of criticism. That is fair. However guys like Button wait for these moments to spew their BS.

Ok, but I interpret his analysis differently.

He's been the same way when criticizing both Montreal and Ottawa.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I don't like basing the game on stats alone sorry. From what i saw his physicality has been down this season. He was most physical against the pens and blues tbh, the games we lost. So i ain't to worried about him.

But what i am implying is that guys like hyman, leivo, brown, AJ need to take up that role too. We rightfully traded komarov and Martin, but others need to step up to make up the level of grit we lost.

He should have 7 hits per game....

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
I really hate these negative threads after 2 poor games. This is a supremely talented team that's going to kick-butt this season.
the past 2 games are a reminder of the past 2 years of leafs getting out worked when playing tougher teams. Besides the addition of Tavares, what’s changed about this team besides losing a good 3rd line with bozak jvr and grit with Komorov.

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
Compete? For sure

Win games? Absolutely.

Win the Cup? No.

Very fun team to watch, but they are 2 defencemen short of truly doing something meaningful. Nylander could help rectify that with a good trade. I think Andersen can do the job with better defenders in front of him. You won't see 7-6 games in the playoffs, but Tavares and Matthews could use some balance in the back. Bowmeester was a scratch. Shattenkirk has been scratched. Two veterans who can skate and probably could use a change of scenery. And still move Nylander for something else.

Oh my goodness, let’s do whatever it takes to sign him. This is a multi generational offensive talent, they are hard to find. We need his entry zone skills and skating more than ever, and he is still developing. I don’t believe for a second he is selfish, I think he is possibly getting bad advice. Please, please, look to the Hall-Larsson deal for why this should not even be on the radar. Like others have said, unless it’s a Seth Jones type, don’t even think about it

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
the past 2 games are a reminder of the past 2 years of leafs getting out worked when playing tougher teams. Besides the addition of Tavares, what’s changed about this team besides losing a good 3rd line with bozak jvr and grit with Komorov.
Seriously? you're missing Komarov ,Bozak and JVR? You can always go cheer for them on their new teams! How did they make out with those guys 'contributing'? You can't think they were better! Too early to conclude anything! No Willy either! They will likely get more consistent!

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Compete? For sure

Win games? Absolutely.

Win the Cup? No.

So in the 1-0 loss to the Pens (empty netters don't help analysis), what exactly does this Dman for Nylander do?

Leafs are getting exposed for what they truly are right now:

A one line team with two third lines and a fourth.

The Kapanen hype is over. It was predicted that by game 10 NHL teams would lock into form and the Matthews line will get no room.

Matthews is basically being wasted 5 on 5 out there. His team mates can't get him the puck or sustain a play.

There is one person who will make what the Blues and Pens did to our offence impossible:

William Nylander.

The dynamics change significantly.

He's elite. Time for everyone to accept that.

It's not hard for teams to shut down Matthews and take Marleau and Kapanen head on with the rest of the line.

If they try that nonsense with both Matthews and Nylander on the ice they'll get lit up.

Stop trading this guy .

Reactions: Brown Dog

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Compete? Yes.
Score lots of goals? Yes.
Win the President's trophy? Yes.
Win the Cup? No.

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
No. Not with the defense. They need a good 1st pairing one. IF Willy doesen't get signed trade him and upgrade D

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
So in the 1-0 loss to the Pens (empty netters don't help analysis), what exactly does this Dman for Nylander do?

Leafs are getting exposed for what they truly are right now:

A one line team with two third lines and a fourth.

The Kapanen hype is over. It was predicted that by game 10 NHL teams would lock into form and the Matthews line will get no room.

Matthews is basically being wasted 5 on 5 out there. His team mates can't get him the puck or sustain a play.

There is one person who will make what the Blues and Pens did to our offence impossible:

William Nylander.

The dynamics change significantly.

He's elite. Time for everyone to accept that.

It's not hard for teams to shut down Matthews and take Marleau and Kapanen head on with the rest of the line.

If they try that nonsense with both Matthews and Nylander on the ice they'll get lit up.

Stop trading this guy .

I find that very hard to believe.

horner

May 22, 2007
Need alot more out of Kadri.
He needs to get the snarl back in his game.

Babcock needs to addept . Teams have figured out his teams play. Stop f***ing with the kids ex. Dermott.

Marleau needs to step it up or drop him to the 3rd line..

Brown to the 4 the line.

Levo or Johnson to the second line. Give them there confidence back, we all see what happened when kappy was moved to the second line.

Mathews needs more fight in his gm . You want McDavid money show use . Alot of his pts against crappy team. Show us what you can do against good teams ex. Winnipeg this wk.

Tavares needs to be better against the good teams as well.

I don't think we win a cup with Babcock.

Our team's needs alot more fight to complete.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Need alot more out of Kadri.
He needs to get the snarl back in his game.

Babcock needs to addept . Teams have figured out his teams play. Stop ****ing with the kids ex. Dermott.

Marleau needs to step it up or drop him to the 3rd line..

Brown to the 4 the line.

Levo or Johnson to the second line. Give them there confidence back, we all see what happened when kappy was moved to the second line.

Mathews needs more fight in his gm . You want McDavid money show use . Alot of his pts against crappy team. Show us what you can do against good teams ex. Winnipeg this wk.

Tavares needs to be better against the good teams as well.

I don't think we win a cup with Babcock.

Our team's needs alot more fight to complete.
Needs 4th line, he has not started well at all, I think his age is catching up to him. 10 min a night for the Vet.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
If Andersen can find another gear in the playoffs, we can go deep even with Gardiner on the blue line.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
If Andersen can find another gear in the playoffs, we can go deep even with Gardiner on the blue line.
Yeah but how confident are you with guys like Hainsey and Zaitsev playing the minutes they are? Andersen's gonna need to bring some real magic.

A lot of people were calling for Gardiner to be traded into the offseason and wanted Dermott to be promoted to his spot Thank god we didn't follow through with that. Throwing Dermott with his 48 games of NHL experience in Gardiner's role is a suicide mission.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
If I recall correctly, the data supports regroup/attack or the tip&dump over the dump and chase. You don't get too many successul entries by giving up posession.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
When it's all for one and one for all the group will be ready to compete and win. That's up to them. We can only watch them grow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad