Are the Habs divers?

Gabe84

Bring back Bonk!
Feb 13, 2007
Montreal, QC
Surprised Plekanec hasn't been mentioned, he's been known to embellish now and then.

But I don't find we're any more egregious than the average NHL team. Actually I think we've gotten better in that regard.

From the games I've seen so far this year (I think 6 or 7), I haven't really noticed any diving from Plekanec but he has a bit of a history of it, I agree.

Like other teams out there, the Habs have a few players that embellish to get calls. Subban jumps to mind right away but there are others like Briere, Eller and Prust.

I agree with your list, sir!

And as mentioned, no more, no less than most teams. I've only got a beef with Subban, honestly. He really needs to be careful. It can be quite over the top and obvious.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
From the games I've seen so far this year (I think 6 or 7), I haven't really noticed any diving from Plekanec but he has a bit of a history of it, I agree.

I agree with your list, sir!

And as mentioned, no more, no less than most teams. I've only got a beef with Subban, honestly. He really needs to be careful. It can be quite over the top and obvious.

I think Subban is just fed up of never getting the calls anyway. Agree that he should tone it down, but I'd be infuriated if I were him.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think Subban is just fed up of never getting the calls anyway. Agree that he should tone it down, but I'd be infuriated if I were him.
He needs to tone it down and - stop yapping at the refs. If he does this he'll get more calls. He's not doing himself any favours out there. If there's one area that he could really improve on, this would be it.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
His way of embellishing is to inch away from the boards during a puck battle and turning his back when he sees a player coming in for a hit. He draws a boarding call but referees have caught on. He's been called for embellishment quite a few times for that exact play.
If that's the case its a very, very stupid strategy. Great way to get yourself crushed onto the DL. No, I haven't noticed it. But I'll look for this going forward.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
He needs to tone it down and - stop yapping at the refs. If he does this he'll get more calls. He's not doing himself any favours out there. If there's one area that he could really improve on, this would be it.

If refs aren't going to do their jobs when they get yapped at, they should be fired. No way around that. Gionta yaps at refs all the time. Tons of players do and still get the calls.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
Eller didn't even get a stick in the face last game, but he purposefully fell down and was grimacing as if he had so that the team would get a Power-Play.

That sort of thing REALLY bothers me. Soccer has no credibility because of all the fake injuries and infractions. I really don't want hockey to follow the same path.

So let me get this straight; Soccer, by far the most beloved and popular sport in the world, has no credibility, but Hockey, the least popular of the major sports in the world has credibility? :laugh:

I am obviously a Hockey fan, but what in the world?

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
Do you see people making fun of hockey in regards to athletes faking injuries? Nope.

But a faking soccer player is a routine joke.

Make of that what you will, but when somebody goes down in hockey, most people don't automatically think "He's fine. Just faking it." The same can't be said about soccer.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
If refs aren't going to do their jobs when they get yapped at, they should be fired. No way around that. Gionta yaps at refs all the time. Tons of players do and still get the calls.
Gionta's a veteran that's been in the league for 13 years that's earned a little more respect than PK at this point.

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
Gionta's a veteran that's been in the league for 13 years that's earned a little more respect than PK at this point.
Stale point.

Kaleta has been in the league for how many years? You think he gets more respect than, say, Gallagher?

Please... try again.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
Do you see people making fun of hockey in regards to athletes faking injuries? Nope.

But a faking soccer player is a routine joke.

Make of that what you will, but when somebody goes down in hockey, most people don't automatically think "He's fine. Just faking it." The same can't be said about soccer.

Do you see people making fun of soccer for its lack of popularity?
Do you see people making fun of soccer for its inability to adequately protect its players?
Do you see people making fun of soccer for its pathetic discipline system?
Do you see people making fun of soccer for its constant rule changes?

Every sport is made fun of one way or another. People make fun of the NFL for it's players terrible behaviour outside the field. People make fun of the NBA's supposed rigging of drafts and games (a conspiracy I generally do not believe btw). People make fun of the MLB's steroids issue.

Every sport is made fun of by people, but to claim that the most popular and respected sport in the world is not credible, on a forum for arguably the least credible sport in the world? Are you insane?

Again, I love hockey, but your comment is laughable.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
All teams are guilty of having players diving during games.

It just sucks when you have to listen to Pierre McGuire question every penalty and blame Habs players for diving.

The bald man is still bitter that he was not hired as GM

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
Do you see people making fun of soccer for its lack of popularity?
Do you see people making fun of soccer for its inability to adequately protect its players?
Do you see people making fun of soccer for its pathetic discipline system?
Do you see people making fun of soccer for its constant rule changes?

Every sport is made fun of one way or another. People make fun of NFL for it's players terrible behaviour outside the field. People make fun of the NBA's supposed rigging of drafts and games. People make fun of the MLB's steroid issue.

Every sport is made fun of by people, but to claim that the most popular and respected sport in the world is not credible, on a forum for arguably the least credible sport in the world? Are you insane?

Again, I love hockey, but your comment is laughable.
Laugh all you want but you still failed to grasp the simple concept I was outlining.

Once you get it, please feel free to get back to me.

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
Yes our team are divers but so are other teams, Subban, briere, gionta took a dive late last game, gallagher goes down easy in the corner sometimes trying to draw a boarding penalty, markov throws his gloves over the glass if anyone skates near him, that being said I have no problem with it, most of the time it works to our advantage, I'm the type of person who will do anything to win so I have no problem with it, also the ref's are so ****ing bad that you almost need to embellish some of the calls or they won't call anything

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
Laugh all you want but you still failed to grasp the simple concept I was outlining.

Once you get it, please feel free to get back to me.

Dude, I get what you are saying. You do not want the NHL to receive the reputation Soccer has with diving. That is pretty obvious. Had you said what I said, I would have left you alone, however, that is not what you said.

You decided to make the claim that Soccer isn't credible because of its players constant diving, a claim that is incorrect in every imaginable way.

It is one thing to state that Soccer has a bad reputation for its players diving, another to state that Soccer has no credibility because of such diving. Big difference.

If you meant the former, all is well, and I will attribute my understanding to your choice of words. But do not pretend that your comments are right here dude.

With that said, my last comment was my 900th post on this board after 3 years. Yay me.

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
It is one thing to state that Soccer has a bad reputation for its players diving, another to state that Soccer has no credibility because of such diving. Big difference.
Perhaps, but it depends on who you ask.

I've personally known a few people who would be willing to watch and follow soccer, but the diving turns them off entirely. For those people, the lack of credibility that the diving created was enough to turn away potential new fans.

Sure, it's anecdotal... but it still stands. I'm sure I haven't met the only people in the world who lift their noses at this sort of stuff. I remember some guy writing on a msg board much like this one about an instance in soccer where a player faked being tripped and consequently managed to get the "tripper" a penalty. The commentator described how the ref was tricked and called it a good play.

Now, why in the world would people want to watch that? Integrity should count for something, in my view.

I can only hope that it won't ever get to that level in NHL hockey. Eller's obvious fake will hopefully be an exception.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Being a veteran doesn't automatically translate into accrued respect.
No of course not, not if you are a ****** like Kaleta that gets suspended every year. But in general terms veterans that aren't total ****** do get more respect and can get away with more. My point was about Subban, he should shut up, bite his tongue for now and show refs more respect and maybe later on in his career it will help him get more calls going his way.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010

I've personally known a few people who would be willing to watch and follow soccer, but the diving turns them off entirely. For those people, the lack of credibility that the diving created was enough to turn away potential new fans.

Sure, it's anecdotal... but it still stands. I'm sure I haven't met the only people in the world who lift their noses at this sort of stuff. I remember some guy writing on a msg board much like this one about an instance in soccer where a player faked being tripped and consequently managed to get the "tripper" a penalty. The commentator described how the ref was tricked and called it a good play.

Now, why in the world would people want to watch that? Integrity should count for something, in my view.

I can only hope that it won't ever get to that level in NHL hockey. Eller's obvious fake will hopefully be an exception.

I respect your thoughts dude, I do not disagree with anything you said in this post. However, I still maintain that your choice of words (credibility) was poor at best.

I will let our exchange on this matter end here though, thank you for your responses.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

I dont watch soccer and its not because of the diving.

Grass growing is more excitement than soccer.:D

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I dont watch soccer and its not because of the diving.

Grass growing is more excitement than soccer.:D

King of the Hill has taught me that growing grass is some sort of competitive sport in the south, though, so that's not really fair. You've got cultural bias on your side!

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
King of the Hill has taught me that growing grass is some sort of competitive sport in the south, though, so that's not really fair. You've got cultural bias on your side!

I have found that Bermuda grass tends to dive more than Rye grass.:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad