Are the Habs divers?

dkd

May 4, 2012
Canada
I can tell you one thing, other fan bases don't hate because we dive (and we don't do that more often than the average NHL team).

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I just don't see it but it's all I hear from other fan bases. Are the Habs divers?

Subban is one of the worst divers in the game. As long as he keeps this up, he will stop getting legitimate calls go his way too.

Its hard to come up with a list of the worst teams when it comes to diving/embellishment, but every team does it. Some are more theatrical than others, and that includes Subban. I've always found briere to be a bad one, and eller is getting there too.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
This pretty much.

Boston are the biggest whiners about diving in the league, and they have Marchand who's one of the worse. Even Chara on their team dives.

All teams try to draw penalties with embellishing, it's honestly just part of the game. Some players do it more than others, Habs have some, so does every other team.

I think the problem in this is much more the refereeing than the diving. Fix the way refs call penalties and have any kind of consistency and I think there would be much less whining all around.

chara doesn't really dive, he just has horrible balance, he's constantly falling, during fights, battles in the corner's, he's just easy to knock off balance.. unless he's expecting to be hit etc he's gonna fall

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
I don't think the Habs are any worse than other teams for diving but they may draw more calls as a result of the fans doing a good job of making the refs think they are missing penalties. As a result other fan bases seem to portray the Habs as constant divers.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Subban is one of the worst divers in the game. As long as he keeps this up, he will stop getting legitimate calls go his way too.

Its hard to come up with a list of the worst teams when it comes to diving/embellishment, but every team does it. Some are more theatrical than others, and that includes Subban. I've always found briere to be a bad one, and eller is getting there too.

No way he's worse than Marchand and I'm not being a homer here. Yes he dives, but the stuff Marchand pulls off is just off the chart.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Every team has divers.

Some fanbase, like Boston, like to spread this nonsense embellishment thing about Montreal. None of us will understand why Bruins fans keep on with this ******** (even with Marchand on their team). I've seen it since joining this board a decade and more ago so it's really unlikely to stop. In the end, if that makes them feel more comfortable about their own divers than it's all good.

oleHABSole*

It's because Montreal Canadiens represent French-Canadians, and French-Canadians represent Europeans, Europeans represent soccer, soccer is a huge diving sport. That's why the Habs have always been labeled as a diving organization. But the truth is Habs get rid of their divers like Ribeiro and Lapierre.

oleHABSole*

The only time Subban has the puck is when he breaks out in our zone, usually a guy right behind him slowing him down with a hook, Subban never falls....he uses his off hand to shield the puck and picks up speed. Show me a vid from YT with Subban diving he last 3 years. He has one embellishment against he Bruins, around the same time the whole league targeted him because of Richards and the butthurt Pens.

Analyzer*

The only time Subban has the puck is when he breaks out in our zone, usually a guy right behind him slowing him down with a hook, Subban never falls....he uses his off hand to shield the puck and picks up speed. Show me a vid from YT with Subban diving he last 3 years. He has one embellishment against he Bruins, around the same time the whole league targeted him because of Richards and the butthurt Pens.

Ok there :laugh:

Subban dives quite a bit. Montreal dives as a team, but every team does. Pretty much every fan base admits it except one.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native

He had an obvious dive against Tampa once. Lecavalier was still with them and gave him a little whack. Subban made it seem that he was wreaked by him. Definitely a dive.

Subban also slewfooted Dubinsky once when Dubi was still with the Rangers.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
He had an obvious dive against Tampa once. Lecavalier was still with them and gave him a little whack. Subban made it seem that he was wreaked by him. Definitely a dive.

Subban also slewfooted Dubinsky once when Dubi was still with the Rangers.

OK, so we are talking about stuff that happened years ago? :shakehead

Subban did clean up his act a lot, but people still use old stuff as evidence against him. Double standard.

3low5*

It's because Montreal Canadiens represent French-Canadians, and French-Canadians represent Europeans, Europeans represent soccer, soccer is a huge diving sport. That's why the Habs have always been labeled as a diving organization. But the truth is Habs get rid of their divers like Ribeiro and Lapierre.

LOL no they don't. Most Canadians, Francophone or not, have European ancestry.

Habset

Feb 21, 2008
Montreal
I hate how NHL fans are so obsessed with diving lately, have you ever taken a wack from a hockey stick that creeps in under the equipment? It Kills! Have you ever had somebody put their stick between your legs while your skating? It's very easy to fall and its hard to control how you actually fall.

oleHABSole*

LOL no they don't. Most Canadians, Francophone or not, have European ancestry.

Exactly. You basically confirmed my comment. btw I was speaking about Americans in general. Same Americans who don't even know the Capital of Canada.

Camio

Oct 19, 2013
Its better now than it used to. Ribeiro and Lapierre are gone (and go back as far as Claude Lemieux if you want, who was a total embellisher (even tho he wasnt a bad player). It has gotten much better since then. Few guys on the Habs dive every now and then (like on every teams) but they arent anywhere near the divers Lapierre and Ribeiro were, or Marchand is right now with the Bruins.

Conversely, some teams (Bruins, Leafs or Flyers for example), after all those years, still have alot of players that keep these teams reputations alive and well. There was McLaren a while ago, but Ference and Chara made sure the tradition continued. They got some other thugs too.

Sure, Bruins fans will get pissed at being called all kind of names, but they can hardly complain. They are who we tought they were. If Habs were getting called divers by fans from every teams, then there might be some truth to it. Considering whose fans are the most vocals, who cares really? They only have nothing to complain about so they go wild when they do see a dive.

Their teams on the other hand dive as much as the Habs (and often more in some cases) on top of alot of thuggish things. If all they got to whine about is the dives, then I'm fine with it. Subban is maybe the worst diver the Habs got, yet he's nowhere near the worst in the NHL.

Let them whine.

I wish, for example, when Lapierre was in Mtl, that he'd have gotten suspended for every dives or injuries faking episodes he had. Same for Claude Lemieux. I recall Ribeiro going down for no apparent reason in a playoffs game in the Bell Center and how 1 minute later, on the bench, he was yapping.

I wish, at that point, Koivu would've stepped up and told Ribeiro to shut the **** up and go straight to the shower.

Last edited:

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Let's say the Habs are the biggest divers in the game (and like many here, i believe that diving as become a part of the game and every teams will try to win no matter what) .

Is diving the worst thing in the game?

Of course having a big bad team that will knock you out, drop the gloves, smash heads into the boards, run over the goalies and spear players in the nuts.....and complainning about diving and how it's hurting the game of Hockey is kind of ironic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->