Are the Habs divers?

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I don't feel Mtl dives, they may embellish but at the same time does small player also take a lot a abuse... They don't embellish anymore than any other team, if they are the isn't a lot of video evidence...
Boston are by far the worst diving team they take embellishment to a hole new level you can't argue with the footage.

dilldog

May 28, 2012
Every team has a couple of guys that dive. I just hope it doesn't become viewed as a winning strategy, like in Vancouver. I have heard someone call Montreal, "Vancouver East".

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Every team has a couple of guys that dive. I just hope it doesn't become viewed as a winning strategy, like in Vancouver. I have heard someone call Montreal, "Vancouver East".
And as we've seen Boston is among the worst (if not the worst in the league) at this. They certainly have the league's worst diver in Brad Marchand.

And btw, I'm pretty sure if you asked the fanbases of any team most would overwhelmingly vote to get this stuff out of the game. Its way past time for the league to do something about it. And personally, I don't see why you can't look at game tapes the next day and start penalizing players after the fact. If you're a serial diver, you get suspended for a game. If it happens again... two games.... Players would clean up their act real quick.

Also, what's the deal with two guys going off? If a guy dives, then put him in the box alone.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I don't think the Habs have an egregious diver. Subban was heading that way, but really has veered away, thankfully. Gallagher is all over the goalies and gets beaten to a pulp as a result, but he doesn't dive. Prust might actually be our gold medallist here, as much as some who don't watch too much might not realize it? :dunno:

dutchy29

Nov 9, 2007
SIRISAACBROCKVILLE
It isn't just something from modern day hockey, I feel, (even though it is cheating) is a skill that certain players are good at that can give their teams an edge when most needed.
certain players from the Habs past did in fact use this tactic from time to time, Kovalev, Lemieux, today Subban. but I agree with another poster, probably no team is any worse than another. I think the Habs harness a lot of hate just because of who they are, the most winningest, popular, most storied and most followed team in the league, because of this we attract a lot of hate as well as a lot of love. similar to the Yankees.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
And as we've seen Boston is among the worst (if not the worst in the league) at this. They certainly have the league's worst diver in Brad Marchand.

And btw, I'm pretty sure if you asked the fanbases of any team most would overwhelmingly vote to get this stuff out of the game. Its way past time for the league to do something about it. And personally, I don't see why you can't look at game tapes the next day and start penalizing players after the fact. If you're a serial diver, you get suspended for a game. If it happens again... two games.... Players would clean up their act real quick.

Also, what's the deal with two guys going off? If a guy dives, then put him in the box alone.

I have a theory for this being the reason Bruins are so vocal against diving/embellishing.

When the players voiced their opinion on Marchand before the hearing, Peter Chiarelli came out and talked about 'propaganda' and 'lobbying' to influence decision. Essentially, they admit to believing someone can influence how governing officials view things through the media/propaganda/etc.

http://nesn.com/2012/01/peter-chiar...ainst-brad-marchand-distasteful-hypocritical/

"I would like to respond in the spirit of protecting our player," Chiarelli said. "The comments made about our player, I don't like that. Brad does play on the edge, but he's no dirtier than maybe two or three of their players. I think in general after a game like that you see all the high-handed propaganda and I just feel the need to respond." Chiarelli felt the comments by Gillis and Vigneault were an obvious ploy to try to influence the league's decision in handing out supplemental discipline on Marchand. "I don't like to hear that kind of stuff," Chiarelli said. "Certainly I think there's a lobbying element to it. I think the league does a real good job in these hearings, and I don't think it's necessary to have that out there. "I like the league to take care of these things," Chiarelli added. "I don't think you have to plead them out in public, but when they talk about our players I feel the need to respond."

The fact when people spoke out about Marchand caused them to identify the act as propaganda, suggests it has an impact, and immediately try to mitigate it shows they strongly believe in it. Of course, they did exactly this during the Pacioretty/Chara incident. Bruins management isn't stupid, the hypocrisy in the quote is likely to hide the fact that they do it regularly. Of course, it also goes to show how they operate as an organization. No shame in being dishonest to further their team interest. This leads to their diving 'propaganda'.

My theory is there is a reason they are so vocal about diving/embellishing and still do it so damn often themselves. I don't think a organization is that stupid. Looking back at their believes about 'propaganda', I think this is strategy to make it easier for their players to cross the line and dive/embellish while trying to shift focus to the opponents. Does it work? Who knows. But based on the way they reacted to what they thought is 'propaganda' and how they were so vocal about the Chara/Pacioretty saga, they believe it works.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't think the Habs have an egregious diver. Subban was heading that way, but really has veered away, thankfully. Gallagher is all over the goalies and gets beaten to a pulp as a result, but he doesn't dive. Prust might actually be our gold medallist here, as much as some who don't watch too much might not realize it? :dunno:
I'd say Subban counts. He's not on the level of Brad Marchand but he still dives. I saw him do the exact same move Chara recently (backing into a player, flailing and falling down.) Markov takes his share of dives too.

You're right on Gallagher... he just basically gets pounded.
I have a theory for this being the reason Bruins are so vocal against diving/embellishing.

When the players voiced their opinion on Marchand before the hearing, Peter Chiarelli came out and talked about 'propaganda' and 'lobbying' to influence decision. Essentially, they admit to believing someone can influence how governing officials view things through the media/propaganda/etc.

http://nesn.com/2012/01/peter-chiar...ainst-brad-marchand-distasteful-hypocritical/

The fact when people spoke out about Marchand caused them to identify the act as propaganda, suggests it has an impact, and immediately try to mitigate it shows they strongly believe in it. Of course, they did exactly this during the Pacioretty/Chara incident. Bruins management isn't stupid, the hypocrisy in the quote is likely to hide the fact that they do it regularly. Of course, it also goes to show how they operate as an organization. No shame in being dishonest to further their team interest. This leads to their diving 'propaganda'.

My theory is there is a reason they are so vocal about diving/embellishing and still do it so damn often themselves. I don't think a organization is that stupid. Looking back at their believes about 'propaganda', I think this is strategy to make it easier for their players to cross the line and dive/embellish while trying to shift focus to the opponents. Does it work? Who knows. But based on the way they reacted to what they thought is 'propaganda' and how they were so vocal about the Chara/Pacioretty saga, they believe it works.
Its a calculated ploy no doubt. "They dive, we don't." And to a large extent its worked.

Showed my buddy the Embellishment City videos and he couldn't believe it. You're even seeing some Bruins fans in this thread realizing that its not nearly as cut and dry as they've tried to make it. Look at last week with Chara flailing around and Marchand grabbing the wrong knee... hilarious. And then we hear crap from guys like Cherry who says it doesn't happen either... Meanwhile the Bruins announcer is basically a propaganda machine. When you come up with a lie, you need flunkies to repeat it and reinforce it. And that's what Edwards is. Its really not a surprise that many in that fanbase don't realize that they are just as bad as any other.

Marchand is THE worst diver in the league right now. He literally flops all over the ice. It was definitely a conscious move to take the heat off themselves and it worked. Smart move by them.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
ex-Hab Claude Lemieux invented the dive

Ten years before Lemieux there was Bill Barber f the Flyers. I'm sure there were divers before Barber too but he was one of the first I was aware of.

Barber's career legacy is basically a) Bobby Clarke's linemate on the Flyers cup teams and b) diving.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
no more than any other team in the league and certainly less than the bruins. i dont remember a subban dive in a quite a while. of the players that do it consistently, only briere and prust and the only two that comes to mind

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
The bottom line is it doesn't really matter. The second a Hab player goes down, he'll get booed and labelled a diver. The Bruins fans were yelling "flopper" at a player with a broken back. That's all you need to know.

It's a no-win debate.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
All teams are full of divers. One call I hate the most is 2 for tripping plus 2 for diving.:shakehead
How can a guy trip a diver or how can a guy get call for diving wen they where tripped?
Embellishing would be a more effective call and could be more embarrassing for a player.
At the end of the day, the NHL has got to clean up this ref stuff. There are good ref and all make mistake but there where some brutal calls this year. I just don't want to see another Sabre/Star scenario.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Hahaha typical Boston: I don't always admit that my team dives/embellishes, but when I do it's from a high horse saying everyone else does it more. It's RIGHTEOUS DIVING. Totally different.

Once you've already taken the moral dive, righteous diving becomes easier. :)

MJG

Sep 18, 2007
Somewhere
I don't understand the diving obsession. Why do they care so much? Who cares if the Habs dive. If it works, then so be it. Power play for us.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Claude Lemieux invented the dive? Are you kidding me?

Diving is as old as fighting. The worst diver I recall was Bill Barber. Him and Bobby Clarke were notorious for faking calls.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Vancouver had two amazing players that were divers in a Kesler and Burrows. They are hard workers, but it happens.

Subban is a brutal diver. Markov dives on occasion. Briere seems like he does too. Price flops pretty easily too, actually.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
His IQ improved?
Clearly both have embellished a bit at times to work referees, and earn power plays for their team in tight games.
So they do it in tight games?
You almost never see it during the regular season, but you’ll definitely see it from time to time in the postseason where every little bit counts.

It doesn’t appear there was the same kind of fan outrage or coaching staff displeasure when Habs defenseman P.K. Subban executed a perfect Nestea plunge, without being touched
Subban was not touched: Campbell tried to hold him against the board... That's why Subban was able to hold his arm.
So what! How many times do we see a D-men holding an oppenent so that he can not back check and get out of the zone?
Chara does it but the difference is that his cross-check put the player on the ice...
If Campbell does not try to hold Subban the first, then PK can not hold him.
Which team led the entire league in power play chances last season, and had nearly twice as many with 203 power play chances in those 48 games? That’s right, it was Les Habitants. They were off their game while ranking 11th in the NHL this season with 279, which was still almost 50 more power play chances than the Bruins.
So now he is saying that the referees a favoring the Habs...
Nothing to do with the fact that the Habs was one of the smallest team and the fastest team in the league.
So Haggerty has a new theory...

BTW, can he explain why the Bruins had 39 PP opportunities in Boston while having 24 on the road in last year PO.
And why Hawks had 76 PK vs 71 for Boston?
Boston players had mastered the dirty play without being caught to an art form.
Lucic showed he was one of the dirtiest player in the league against Emelin and DeKeyser. Marchand has proven that he is in a league of his own in diving.
The difference between the Bruins: they are ahead more often so they do not use it unless it is important (his words).
So basically, during the PO, we should expect the Bruins to do as usual: Dive, Dive, Dive (the Boston submarine).

You have to give it to the Bruins, they know how to play tough without being penalized.
BTW, did Chara get anything for what he did to Paciorretty?
And Lucic for his dirty move against Emelin?
And Chara for attacking Emelin when he knows that he can not defend himself with his metal plate in the face?

Last edited:

HoRiMoNo

Apr 30, 2014
The HABS do have the odd embellishment but not any more than most teams. I think we got the stigma when Mike Ribero had that whole episode flopping around like he was hit by a truck and then got up and smiled. That really hurt our club and was very embarrassing for HABS fans everywhere.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
The HABS do have the odd embellishment but not any more than most teams. I think we got the stigma when Mike Ribero had that whole episode flopping around like he was hit by a truck and then got up and smiled. That really hurt our club and was very embarrassing for HABS fans everywhere.

Talbot just pulled that move tonight. :laugh:

If the Wild lost on that overtime PP, Talbot would've been a marked man in the west for years to come.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
"The Habs" don't dive and embellish. Certain players do...just like every team.

FuzzyWuzzy

I'm still alive
Dec 20, 2012
Montreal
What I hate most is when a player gets called for tripping and the other for diving. Just make up your freakin mind!

To me it makes sense. The first offender is in a position and has intent to trip the other player who, upon seeing this, embelishes his fall or straight up lets himself fall down. So the ref calls the first guy for his trip and the 2nd guy for selling the trip too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad