Are the Habs divers?

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
No more than any other team.

Diving has become part of hockey (a stain, really) and anyone who accuses other teams of being divers without looking at his own is a hypocrite.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
I really don't care about what other fanbases think about our team. That's why I never read any Habs related thread on the main board.

Analyzer*

Subban and Briere are.

Every player adds a little embellishment here and there, but those two do it pretty much anytime anyone touches them.

Patccmoi

Aug 11, 2010
No more than any other team.

Diving has become part of hockey (a stain, really) and anyone who accuses other teams of being divers without looking at his own is a hypocrite.

This pretty much.

Boston are the biggest whiners about diving in the league, and they have Marchand who's one of the worse. Even Chara on their team dives.

All teams try to draw penalties with embellishing, it's honestly just part of the game. Some players do it more than others, Habs have some, so does every other team.

I think the problem in this is much more the refereeing than the diving. Fix the way refs call penalties and have any kind of consistency and I think there would be much less whining all around.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Other teams don't like us for many reasons. Yes, we have players who dive. But we don't do it more than other teams. They just don't pay attention or want to believe that their own team does the same. Every team has dirty players that spear, hook, trip slewfoot, dive and slash, they're all trying to win. It's just easier for people to notice it with opponents because they want their team on the PP.

I don't care if they bash the Habs. I don't need for the other fans to like us.

11Goat11

Inside her
Feb 18, 2006
Every team has players who dive, heck the big bad Bruins have some of the worst offenders. Montreal also has a lot of small players that get knocked down rather easy which doesn't help their rep imo.

Either way diving across the league is getting out of hand. I wish the refs would call diving by itself instead of the stupid co-incidental minors, you can't have it both ways boys, either it's a foul or a dive, take a stand!

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
Like other teams out there, the Habs have a few players that embellish to get calls. Subban jumps to mind right away but there are others like Briere, Eller and Prust.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Problem with the Habs is that the forwards are so small they constantly get knocked around and are always falling down. People see that as embellishment or diving but I think it's more about 5'6 forwards running into giant defensemen. As for Subban, yes he totally embellishes and it's disgusting to watch because he doesn't know how to do it, it looks so fake with his arms flapping around.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
Eller's dive last night was rather embarrassing, but every players tries it at one point. I don't think we are divers more than any of the other teams out there.

The problem with it is that refs review every game just as players do to spot their own mistakes. If you embarrass a ref during a game and trick him into a bad call, he will remember.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Every team has players who dive, heck the big bad Bruins have some of the worst offenders. Montreal also has a lot of small players that get knocked down rather easy which doesn't help their rep imo.

Either way diving across the league is getting out of hand. I wish the refs would call diving by itself instead of the stupid co-incidental minors, you can't have it both ways boys, either it's a foul or a dive, take a stand!

To eliminate diving, I would fine them. Make a section on the NHL.COM and put all the videos of divers there. Players will hopefully get embarassed and stop doing it

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
Problem with the Habs is that the forwards are so small they constantly get knocked around and are always falling down. People see that as embellishment or diving but I think it's more about 5'6 forwards running into giant defensemen. As for Subban, yes he totally embellishes and it's disgusting to watch because he doesn't know how to do it, it looks so fake with his arms flapping around.

Nowhere near as bad as Doughty at it. If you look at the .gif in the diving thread on the main board, Subban has never done anything as embarrassing. the thing is that the refs are on to him and it's much harder for him to draw calls now, even when it's a legit call.

Habset

Feb 21, 2008
Montreal
What I hate most is when a player gets called for tripping and the other for diving. Just make up your freakin mind!

HF-Addict

Feb 26, 2004
Like other teams out there, the Habs have a few players that embellish to get calls. Subban jumps to mind right away but there are others like Briere, Eller and Prust.

Yep and I bet they would get more calls their way in the long run if they werent diving/embellishing calls. I find it hard to believe refs dont hold grudge when they get played, no matter how professionnal one is.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Surprised Plekanec hasn't been mentioned, he's been known to embellish now and then.

But I don't find we're any more egregious than the average NHL team. Actually I think we've gotten better in that regard.

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
I think the culture of fans at the Bell Centre booing for calls every time a Hab goes down sometimes leads to a bit more diving by the Habs.

It's tough though. Sometimes when you are moving on blades at 25 mph, twisting, turning, reaching etc it doesn't take a lot to get off balance and fall. Sometimes what looks like a dive isn't and only the guy who falls knows for sure.

The funniest embellisher is Markov. Watch him when he gets a stick to the face. Immediate yard sale. I know a stick to the face sucks but when he gets in the face it initially looks really bad every time.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Unfortunately it's become part of the game and we are seeing more and more from players. Every team/players tries, we have heard it from B's fans in the past but they've become quiet over the years because they have realized they have their own divers in Marchand, Krejci and even Chara who has done it not only against us but in the playoffs last year. And who was the Bruins player last year in SCF I believe Ference who faked a high stick and got the call. It happens refs are human and make the call

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
Derek Roy is the king of diving.. Markov always embalish when he gets hit... I agree with Prust.. he tends to drop easily sometimes.. but like most of you say.. lots of divers in everyteam...

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
As for Prust his reputation started in NY and know he is known for the refs. Sucks but they catch on and eventually even when it's a clear call he won't get it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad