Are the Habs divers?

Discussion in 'Montreal Canadiens' started by Habset, Oct 30, 2013.

View Users: View Users
  1. Habset

Habset Registered User

I just don't see it but it's all I hear from other fan bases. Are the Habs divers?

2. poetryinmotion

poetryinmotion Registered User

No more than any other team.

Diving has become part of hockey (a stain, really) and anyone who accuses other teams of being divers without looking at his own is a hypocrite.

3. Rosso Scuderia

Rosso Scuderia Registered User

I really don't care about what other fanbases think about our team. That's why I never read any Habs related thread on the main board.

4. Analyzer*

Analyzer* Guest

Subban and Briere are.

Every player adds a little embellishment here and there, but those two do it pretty much anytime anyone touches them.

5. poetryinmotion

Way to.. embellish. Diver!

6. Patccmoi

Patccmoi Registered User

This pretty much.

Boston are the biggest whiners about diving in the league, and they have Marchand who's one of the worse. Even Chara on their team dives.

All teams try to draw penalties with embellishing, it's honestly just part of the game. Some players do it more than others, Habs have some, so does every other team.

I think the problem in this is much more the refereeing than the diving. Fix the way refs call penalties and have any kind of consistency and I think there would be much less whining all around.

7. Habskrieg

Habskrieg Registered User

Other teams don't like us for many reasons. Yes, we have players who dive. But we don't do it more than other teams. They just don't pay attention or want to believe that their own team does the same. Every team has dirty players that spear, hook, trip slewfoot, dive and slash, they're all trying to win. It's just easier for people to notice it with opponents because they want their team on the PP.

I don't care if they bash the Habs. I don't need for the other fans to like us.

8. 11Goat11

11Goat11 Inside her

Every team has players who dive, heck the big bad Bruins have some of the worst offenders. Montreal also has a lot of small players that get knocked down rather easy which doesn't help their rep imo.

Either way diving across the league is getting out of hand. I wish the refs would call diving by itself instead of the stupid co-incidental minors, you can't have it both ways boys, either it's a foul or a dive, take a stand!

9. Luigi Habs

Luigi Habs Captain Saku

They're not divers. They're embezzlers.

10. Account Terminated

Account Terminated Registered User

Awards:
    Like other teams out there, the Habs have a few players that embellish to get calls. Subban jumps to mind right away but there are others like Briere, Eller and Prust.

11. Adriatic

Adriatic Registered User

Problem with the Habs is that the forwards are so small they constantly get knocked around and are always falling down. People see that as embellishment or diving but I think it's more about 5'6 forwards running into giant defensemen. As for Subban, yes he totally embellishes and it's disgusting to watch because he doesn't know how to do it, it looks so fake with his arms flapping around.

12. Lafleurs Guy

Lafleurs Guy RIP Fugu

Subban for sure. Prust? Haven't noticed that.

13. Godzilla

Godzilla Registered User

Eller's dive last night was rather embarrassing, but every players tries it at one point. I don't think we are divers more than any of the other teams out there.

The problem with it is that refs review every game just as players do to spot their own mistakes. If you embarrass a ref during a game and trick him into a bad call, he will remember.

14. Rosso Scuderia

Rosso Scuderia Registered User

To eliminate diving, I would fine them. Make a section on the NHL.COM and put all the videos of divers there. Players will hopefully get embarassed and stop doing it

15. poetryinmotion

Nowhere near as bad as Doughty at it. If you look at the .gif in the diving thread on the main board, Subban has never done anything as embarrassing. the thing is that the refs are on to him and it's much harder for him to draw calls now, even when it's a legit call.

16. Analyzer*

Analyzer* Guest

Unfortunately he does dive and it just isn't the odd time.

Though, we see the habs do it more because we see the habs 82 times.

17. Habset

Habset Registered User

What I hate most is when a player gets called for tripping and the other for diving. Just make up your freakin mind!

18. HF-Addict

HF-Addict Registered User

Yep and I bet they would get more calls their way in the long run if they werent diving/embellishing calls. I find it hard to believe refs dont hold grudge when they get played, no matter how professionnal one is.

19. hototogisu

hototogisu Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
    Surprised Plekanec hasn't been mentioned, he's been known to embellish now and then.

But I don't find we're any more egregious than the average NHL team. Actually I think we've gotten better in that regard.

20. gohabs58

gohabs58 Registered User

I have a lot of respect for Prust, but I've seen him embellish hits like nobody's business.

21. Go Habs Go

Go Habs Go Registered User

Finance
    Home Page:
    Of course we have divers, as does every team. Though I do think that our guys are bad at hiding it for example Eller's dive from last night. Way too blatant.

22. nilan30

nilan30 Registered User

I think the culture of fans at the Bell Centre booing for calls every time a Hab goes down sometimes leads to a bit more diving by the Habs.

It's tough though. Sometimes when you are moving on blades at 25 mph, twisting, turning, reaching etc it doesn't take a lot to get off balance and fall. Sometimes what looks like a dive isn't and only the guy who falls knows for sure.

The funniest embellisher is Markov. Watch him when he gets a stick to the face. Immediate yard sale. I know a stick to the face sucks but when he gets in the face it initially looks really bad every time.

23. Habs 4 Life

Habs 4 Life No Excuses

Unfortunately it's become part of the game and we are seeing more and more from players. Every team/players tries, we have heard it from B's fans in the past but they've become quiet over the years because they have realized they have their own divers in Marchand, Krejci and even Chara who has done it not only against us but in the playoffs last year. And who was the Bruins player last year in SCF I believe Ference who faked a high stick and got the call. It happens refs are human and make the call

24. thewall

thewall Registered User

Derek Roy is the king of diving.. Markov always embalish when he gets hit... I agree with Prust.. he tends to drop easily sometimes.. but like most of you say.. lots of divers in everyteam...

25. Habs 4 Life

Habs 4 Life No Excuses

As for Prust his reputation started in NY and know he is known for the refs. Sucks but they catch on and eventually even when it's a clear call he won't get it