Are the Habs divers?

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Yep and I bet they would get more calls their way in the long run if they werent diving/embellishing calls. I find it hard to believe refs dont hold grudge when they get played, no matter how professionnal one is.
Of course refs hold a grudge, it's impossible not to. Take Subban for example, forget about the fact that embellishes he even has the balls to yap and gesture to the refs on legit calls when he gets a penalty, like seriously just shut up and go sit down. What's the point of trying to embarrass an official in front of 20 thousand people and on national tv..then he wonders why he never gets a break.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
I don't think the Habs are diving more than other NHL teams.

Habs are soft though. They fall down easy and all over the place.

Fans of other teams will think that DD / Diaz / Gallagher are diving when in reality, they concede 50 lbs to their oponent that checks them, no wonder why they fall down.

Also, those who think swinging your head behind when hit by a stick in the face is embelishment, are seriously misunderstanding how painful it is to receive a hockey stick in the face. The outburst of pain is atrocious, even when it's dosen't bleed. It's a reflex to swing the head behind like this, even when it only slightly touches. Even when it dosen't connect players will swing their head behind instinctively. The play goes so fast that I usually will give benefit of the doubt, unless it's obvious.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Every team dives, but the less subtle diver this year got to be Eller. He makes it so much more obvious this year. Got a feeling Briere taught him a few tricks when they were playing in the same line.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I don't think the Habs are diving more than other NHL teams.

Habs are soft though. They fall down easy and all over the place.

Fans of other teams will think that DD / Diaz / Gallagher are diving when in reality, they concede 50 lbs to their oponent that checks them, no wonder why they fall down.

Also, those who think swinging your head behind when hit by a stick in the face is embelishment, are seriously misunderstanding how painful it is to receive a hockey stick in the face. The outburst of pain is atrocious, even when it's dosen't bleed. It's a reflex to swing the head behind like this, even when it only slightly touches. Even when it dosen't connect players will swing their head behind instinctively. The play goes so fast that I usually will give benefit of the doubt, unless it's obvious.

If there is1 player despite his size in the league not diving it's got to be Gallagher. Honestly not because he's on the Habs but the beating this guy takes on a consistent basis he should be trying to sell calls but he doesn't. He plays a though game and never goes down to sell a call

Pricef*

I find the media in general to be very anti-habs. CBC and TSN are the worst. A bunch of kids who grew up having to watch their favourite teams beaten consistently by the habs and having to watch a couple of cup victories by the Habs at the very least while their team the Leafs/Bruins had zero success.

Their Bias against the Habs is so obvious.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
I find the media in general to be very anti-habs. CBC and TSN are the worst. A bunch of kids who grew up having to watch their favourite teams beaten consistently by the habs and having to watch a couple of cup victories by the Habs at the very least while their team the Leafs/Bruins had zero success.

And that is why I don't watch TSN or CBC.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement

Yes, and I'm oh so tired of this BS.

CBC especially. They can suck Broons dickss on their lunch break, I don't care, but watching these clowns taking a dump on the Habs at every oportunity is sickening. Actually I don't mind the Habs being underdogs, underapreciated by fans of other teams, but CBC is a Canadian broadcaster and they constantly praise the Broons and **** on the Habs, I'm seriously wondering why I'm paying these guys with my taxes. Fact, I don't ever watch the CBC feed when it's the Habs. For the other Canadian teams, it's okay I guess, but only if they don't play the Broons. Didn't you guys know that Don Cherry has been offered a Senator position, what a ****ing joke.

It's not even anti-mtl bias, it's Bruins bias.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Every team dives, but the less subtle diver this year got to be Eller. He makes it so much more obvious this year. Got a feeling Briere taught him a few tricks when they were playing in the same line.

Besides that high stick last night, I don't really remember any dives by Eller. Keep in mind, he's a guy who loses his balance quite a bit on his own already. DD, Leblanc, Diaz are as well.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Subban and Prust are the most noticeable lol.

What's interesting is Eller has become some what of a pest. I've caught him diving / exaggerating from time to time. He tends to play with an edge that gets under opponents skin, I love it.

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
Eller didn't even get a stick in the face last game, but he purposefully fell down and was grimacing as if he had so that the team would get a Power-Play.

That sort of thing REALLY bothers me. Soccer has no credibility because of all the fake injuries and infractions. I really don't want hockey to follow the same path.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
Subban for sure. Prust? Haven't noticed that.

His way of embellishing is to inch away from the boards during a puck battle and turning his back when he sees a player coming in for a hit. He draws a boarding call but referees have caught on. He's been called for embellishment quite a few times for that exact play.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
Prust does lots of sneaky stuff. Embellishes. I think he is pretty sneaky about drawing penalties, too. Committing sneaky offenses to get retaliation. I think he is actually pretty good at it, except that you eventually get a rep.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
I would say definitely.

The club has 6-5 guys, 5-6 guys, A Haitian, Dane and Swiss, a couple of black players, a native Canadian...I'd say they are quite diverse.

Whoops..misread the question. Okay..not really.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Subban, Eller are and they suck at it. Refs don't give them the benefit of the doubt much. Way to backfire.

Markov dives, but he makes it look very convincing.

DD is often accused of diving, but he's just totally weak on his skates, weaker than Yannick Weber.

Pacioretty, not that I've noticed.
Gio, same
Bgallagher, nope
Galchenyuk, still waiting
Bourque, too stoned to bother
Bournival, nope
Briere, YES IN THE PAST, haven't seen one as a Habs though, he was THAT INVISIBLE.

68*

Yes. Like every team in the league. Even the Big Bad Bruins.
shawn-thornton-dive-o.gif

Darth Joker

Dec 12, 2009
Canada
Problem with the Habs is that the forwards are so small they constantly get knocked around and are always falling down. People see that as embellishment or diving but I think it's more about 5'6 forwards running into giant defensemen.

Agreed. It's not that the players are diving. It's that they really are that soft. :laugh:

We do have a few embellishers on the team. But then, most teams do. So I don't think the Habs are significantly worse than your average NHL team when it comes to diving/embellishing.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Personnaly, I don't think they're divers, not even Subban. But I do think that when they're being hooked, held, hit, etc, they tend to embelish their fall.

To me, it's not the same thing. The high stick against Eller yesterday against Dallas is a good exemple. The stick was definitively high and it was dangerous, and it deserves a penality. But Eller made it looked worse than it was.

There are lots of player doing it around the league, and every team has some. But even if I'm a fan, I tend to agree that Habs have many doing it on a regular basis. Not a scientific analyzis, just a feeling I have watching them.

Haaabs

Jul 16, 2010
Montreal
I think Prust is the biggest "diver" on this team, he always throws himself at the boards trying to get a boarding call.

A lot of times, it seems like players embellish because they don't trust the referee to make the call if they didn't or because the other teams are gonna draw some PP time by doing it, so we will also. But its not just us.

Having one of the largest fanbases, people like to poke at us for being divers since it will get the largest reaction. Its no fun making fun of a team with no fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad