OT: Aquilini Family found to have shortchanged migrant workers; new allegations of harassment surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Someone who's on twitter should post Aquilini's latest on this issue. It's quite something, judging by the summary just heard on 1040.

In short, it was the workers' fault.

Reactions: Hit the post

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Not always. The rich people I know, including a billionaire, want the system to be fair, but also want to reward hard work. Balanced with helping the disadvantaged, but not the lazy. It is not an easy equation. And to the best of my knowledge, the "billionaire" was always ethical. We are never going to be all "equal". I think all will agree we don't want those in power making it easier for the rich. And we all agree that we don't want a communist system that says we take everything and split it equally.

but its certainly a challenge to take the middle road where we reward hard work but take care of the disadvantaged.

Or more simply, Aquaman is a privileged prick, but some people with money are decent human beings.
The problem is the reward becomes increasing out of whack with the effort. If someone works very hard, is smart etc and makes $300k/y how does that compare to someone who works just as hard and is just as smart and makes $300m/year vs the same and $3b/year.

I dislike inheritance tax/death duties/estate tax but I could be talked into a 50% tax on amounts over $1b.

Last edited:

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Let's face it....the Griffiths family were the only decent, caring owners the Canucks have ever had.

Their first owner Thomas Scallen of Medicor ended up in jail; John McCaw and his Seattle Cable Company were absentee owners who bought the team when it was over-extended, then moved the Grizzlies and threatened to move the Canucks; And the current owners pilfered the team out from under the Gaglardi's, triggering an ugly lawsuit.

It's little wonder this franchise hasn't won anything in 50 years.

The Griffiths at best were incompetent owners. They are responsible for practically every low point in the franchises history.

Ousting Tom Scallen and having him investigated.
Trading Cam Nealy.
Flying V uniforms.
Bringing in McCaw.
The orca logo.

Arthur Griffiths planted a story in the media regarding Bure in the 94 playoffs. This led the greatest Canuck in team history to demand a trade.

When you consider all that they dont quite sound like the heroes that we make them out to be.

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
I still don't get your point. Are you implying that because they're all scummy they cancel each other out so it's ok? Scummy is scummy.
I guess my point was more addressed to an earlier post where it was mentioned it being hard to be a fan of this franchise because of practices by the ownership. If we saw all the skeletons of every owner we might find it hard to cheer for any of the teams. Maybe the Aqualoonies are bad, but it likely isn't just them.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I guess my point was more addressed to an earlier post where it was mentioned it being hard to be a fan of this franchise because of practices by the ownership. If we saw all the skeletons of every owner we might find it hard to cheer for any of the teams. Maybe the Aqualoonies are bad, but it likely isn't just them.

Again, what is your point? We aren't talking about every other owner so what does that even have to do with things?

Last edited:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Again, what is your point? We aren't talking about every other owner so what does that even have to do with things?
Deflection. But Gillis.

Nobody is a paragon of virtue and integrity but the thing is with Aquaman you don't even have to look for something hidden a closet or under a rock.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeK

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Probably that it’s unlikely to have an owner who is “flawless”.

There are very few people, especially locally who have the financial resources to buy the Canucks if you are hoping for a change.

Team itself is worth hundreds of millions. Arena, the land itself is worth a lot with real estate prices what they are.

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
Probably that it’s unlikely to have an owner who is “flawless”.

There are very few people, especially locally who have the financial resources to buy the Canucks if you are hoping for a change.

Team itself is worth hundreds of millions. Arena, the land itself is worth a lot with real estate prices what they are.
Thank you StreetHawk for realizing my point. Having read Chu's statement, if it is correct I am not sure what the Aqualoonies did wrong. But if one has a narrative, it's a futile argument.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Any suggestion that the Aquilini's would be unaware of events around Golden Eagle are pretty suspect. The family compound is minutes from there. They were also known to be pretty shitty employers in the ridge-meadows area long before they bought the team.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Any suggestion that the Aquilini's would be unaware of events around Golden Eagle are pretty suspect. The family compound is minutes from there. They were also known to be pretty ****ty employers in the ridge-meadows area long before they bought the team.
What is the value of the operations of this farm in comparison to their entire portfolio?

I would imagine people with that kind of wealth spend their time on the assets that make up the largest portion of their portfolio regardless of distance.

Again, disappointed at how they handled it once it got to a certain point.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
What is the value of the operations of this farm in comparison to their entire portfolio?

I would imagine people with that kind of wealth spend their time on the assets that make up the largest portion of their portfolio regardless of distance.

It seems to problematic in that they seem to refuse to hire qualified people advising them; Fredo thinks he's so smart. It tells you why the Canucks are run the way they are.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

"which had close to 2,000 workers during the peak summer months"

2000 workers + staff/managers etc is not a small enterprise.

Last edited:

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Thank you StreetHawk for realizing my point. Having read Chu's statement, if it is correct I am not sure what the Aqualoonies did wrong. But if one has a narrative, it's a futile argument.
Chu's statement is clearly a PR piece. The Aquilini family didn't pay their workers the appropriate amount they were supposed to as per their contract. The BC Ministry of Labour found that more than $130,000 in wages were still owed and fined the Aquilini group $500 (LOL). The Aquilini's are at fault and already agreed to pay all the money they owe.

The Aquilini group is basically saying in the letter they interpreted the contracts they gave out to these workers differently than how it was written and interpreted by the Office of the Director of Employment Standards.

I find it incredibly difficult to believe that a bunch of temp workers understand their contracts better than a team of lawyers that the Aquilini's employ. They straight up lied to these people who they brought over to another country and tried to shortchange them. Imagine leaving your home and family for months with the expectations of getting paid a certain amount and then finding out the entire opportunity was a waste of time because you could have made more in your home country without leaving your family.

I'm glad that more the workers were more "city" this time than "farmer" which probably meant they had a much better literacy rate and ability to converse in English rather than Spanish.

Aquilini Group says Guatemalan berry workers only complained after learning they would be sent home

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Didn’t read the article, don’t care. I wouldn’t care if the Mafia owned the team if they hired competent people to run the organization that provided a championship team.

Last edited:

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
Chu's statement is clearly a PR piece. The Aquilini family didn't pay their workers the appropriate amount they were supposed to as per their contract. The BC Ministry of Labour found that more than $130,000 in wages were still owed and fined the Aquilini group $500 (LOL). The Aquilini's are at fault and already agreed to pay all the money they owe.

The Aquilini group is basically saying in the letter they interpreted the contracts they gave out to these workers differently than how it was written and interpreted by the Office of the Director of Employment Standards.

I find it incredibly difficult to believe that a bunch of temp workers understand their contracts better than a team of lawyers that the Aquilini's employ. They straight up lied to these people who they brought over to another country and tried to shortchange them. Imagine leaving your home and family for months with the expectations of getting paid a certain amount and then finding out the entire opportunity was a waste of time because you could have made more in your home country without leaving your family.

I'm glad that more the workers were more "city" this time than "farmer" which probably meant they had a much better literacy rate and ability to converse in English rather than Spanish.

Aquilini Group says Guatemalan berry workers only complained after learning they would be sent home
Cue bass solo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad