OT: Aquilini Family found to have shortchanged migrant workers; new allegations of harassment surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Man that Eriksson contract must be starting to hurt.

I've talked a lot about not just assuming the Aquilini's are stupid because they inherited money, but that doesn't make them good people. IIRC their dad made his money buying cheap properties and raising the rent until he could get everyone out and redevelop.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Good social comment. But. Do you want a communist system that's it all belongs to the government? Its been tried and doesn't work well. Do you want a system that says low taxes and buy the politicians? (hint america is working on this right now).

NO!. Some things the government is better at than private corporations. Other things the government should not be allowed near.

After my 60 years of experience, I have determined that the government is better suited for about 30% of things. Like fire departments, water, public parks, roads ( its a fairly long list and tiresome) etc, but it requires responsible oversight. And "reasonable" taxation. It is not an easy equation. Give Germany Sweden and that part of the world kudos for have come ****ing close.

agree with most of this, but man there is a lot of grey area between communism and not allowing people to accumulate (or inherit) wealth at a scale where they can have more than a billion dollars.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Good social comment. But. Do you want a communist system that's it all belongs to the government? Its been tried and doesn't work well. Do you want a system that says low taxes and buy the politicians? (hint america is working on this right now).

NO!. Some things the government is better at than private corporations. Other things the government should not be allowed near.

After my 60 years of experience, I have determined that the government is better suited for about 30% of things. Like fire departments, water, public parks, roads ( its a fairly long list and tiresome) etc, but it requires responsible oversight. And "reasonable" taxation. It is not an easy equation. Give Germany Sweden and that part of the world kudos for have come ****ing close.

That's a pretty extreme dichotomy you've presented in that first paragraph... either communism or rampant inequity?

You and I, like most people I'd imagine, prefer some sort of balance between the two. We may not always agree on exactly where that balance point is, but that's what politics is for.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Why are so many of you shocked by this? I mentioned before when I was the manager of an SRO in vancouver years ago my dealings with the family left me at a loss for words

Because the myth of capitalism as the source of all things good swiftly starts to fall apart if society doesn't collectively buy into the notion the wealth itself is evidence rich people deserve to be wealthy and powerful.

Reactions: timw33

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
They are a scummy family and it's been known for quite some time.
You are entitled to your opinion, but on balance, could you find one NHL ownership group that has not had scandals/lawsuits against them? I think you would be hard pressed to find one.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
You are entitled to your opinion, but on balance, could you find one NHL ownership group that has not had scandals/lawsuits against them? I think you would be hard pressed to find one.

So I guess that means they aren't scummy?

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
Sadly, this kind of thing is rampant. Pretty much any Billionaire has likely exploited labour at some point. The construction business is ripe with corruption and kick backs. Not that we shouldn't be outraged but without the political will to change, it will continue unabated.

PS - I realize the story is not about construction. But that is where they made their money.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
The guy who left his wife for a cheerleader working for his basketball team? Quinngate? Scandal when trying to sell WIC?

I still don't get your point. Are you implying that because they're all scummy they cancel each other out so it's ok? Scummy is scummy.

Reactions: timw33
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad