OT: Aquilini Family found to have shortchanged migrant workers; new allegations of harassment surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
The only way Aquilini would be forced to sell the team is if there were physical/sexual assault charges against him or if there was a Clippers-style racist thing happening. This stuff doesn’t even move the needle.

And if they did get rid of Fredo, he would just be legally removed from the club and another brother would take over.

If the Family is going to own the Canucks anyway, I'd be happy if Michael replaced Fredo.

Reactions: Hit the post

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
And there are people out there still wondering why Trevor Linden and the Canucks ownership reached a ' mutual parting of the ways'? My respect for Trev just went up exponentially. You can only shudder to think what actually went on behind the scenes.

Now Jim Chu is probably next. From all reports a stand-up guy and principled chief of the VPD, who the Aquilini's will wring out of every last ounce of goodwill they can, before he sees the light and reaches 'a mutual parting" of the ways. Who's next? Rick Hansen? Sarah McLachlan?

Must confess I'm torn. As a Canucks lifer, I'll always pull for the players, trainers and the hockey ops guys. But the idea of the Aquilini's ever basking in the glow of a Stanley Cup champion is frankly repulsive.
Chu is no different than Anne Drennan. They’re there because of money. f*** him too

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
LOL, I think the same team winning again and again perfectly describes subpar and stagnant.
Basketball is the largest growing sports in the world and the NBA is doing miles better than the NHL.

But yeah a poster on a hockey forum opinion >> objective information.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Basketball is the largest growing sports in the world and the NBA is doing miles better than the NHL.

But yeah a poster on a hockey forum opinion >> objective information.

Hockey is the better sport but basketball will always be more popular for the same reasons as soccer. Hockey is a rich sport that most people in the world don't have the opportunity to play..

Edit- Didn't realize what thread I was in... The Aquilinis are scum. Carry on.

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
What does all that have to do with boot lickers being too nice of a term? I'm not saying you are the boot licking type. What I am saying is that if you aren't putting in the research and just defending a soul-less corporation over human beings then you are worse than a boot licker. Far far worse.

So does that describe you? Or did you put in the research?
Did some of the research. It seems most took the word of the plaintiffs at face value and were piling on the Aquilinis BEFORE even hearing the other side. After the other side was presented it wasn't even addressed that they may have had some valid points, just more piling on. Cue bass solo.

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
There is enough smoke here to call for a financial boycott at the very least from a fan perspective. I won't spend a dime on Canucks tickets or merch until this ownership group changes, and I will be letting the team know. I know they likely will not care, but it is still something that has to be done. Taking advantage of vulnerable temporary foreign workers is the lowest form of scummery. I hope this story gets huge.
Did they take advantage, or just misinterpret the contracts? How about the thousands of temporary foreign workers that land, then disappear? No problem with them taking advantage of the host country? Do you care to blame another major league team you support and know that the ownership group is squeaky clean?

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Did they take advantage, or just misinterpret the contracts? How about the thousands of temporary foreign workers that land, then disappear? No problem with them taking advantage of the host country? Do you care to blame another major league team you support and know that the ownership group is squeaky clean?

I haven't done extensive research, but I did take a look around the usual places and couldn't find anything to say thousands of workers were doing this. Could you pass on a source?

Carnal

May 29, 2018
I haven't done extensive research, but I did take a look around the usual places and couldn't find anything to say thousands of workers were doing this. Could you pass on a source?
Andrew Scheer and the Ford Clan can back it up with capitalized tweets. What more proof do you need?? Let that guy freely post drivel as it's his right to practice racist ignorance.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam

This is totally not a shill account.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
You always suspect some sort of corruption with the super wealthy and some form of exploitation with vulnerable working class which may not necessarily be related but for the latter could be just some dick mid level manager.

But when the freakin family patriarch is going out there on the farm in the sun personally and is denying the workers water breaks till they fill some quota? That's just on it's own level and is going to breed a top down level of scumbaggery.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
So I presume I am speaking with a Family rep here.

Are you suggesting the Aquilini's misinterpreted he contract? The issue of foreign workers leaving, (which is a made-up, fear-mongering issue) is also a total red-herring, utterly irrelevant to this discussion of a large corp taking advantage of vulnerable workers. And no, I don't let anyone off the hook if I find out atrocious behaviour. But this is a Canucks forum. See the connection?
Solid attempt at re-directing the discussion though. I give you 6 Fox Newses out of 10.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
I HAD season tickets for about 5 seasons, gradually improved my seats till I was on the railing at the blue line. The current mgmt sucked the joy out of my fandom and the ownership crap has been the final straw. I may buy the odd single game ticket but even that is doubtful given the loathing I feel for all except the players.

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
I work in a related industry and it is well known. If you google "temporary foreign workers disappear" you will see numerous sources.

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
Andrew Scheer and the Ford Clan can back it up with capitalized tweets. What more proof do you need?? Let that guy freely post drivel as it's his right to practice racist ignorance.
Lazy comment and using the race card with no evidence to back it up. When all arguments fail, or there is no will to debate facts, just call racist and keep shouting. Sad.

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
This is totally not a shill account.
If one wants to listen to both sides they must be a shill. Sad. of Why is it a democratic system you detest? Please explain why any support of your one side shouldn't be considered a shill post?

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I work in a related industry and it is well known. If you google "temporary foreign workers disappear" you will see numerous sources.

I made that search and did not find a source that substantiated your claim, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. Could you share one of those sources?

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
So I presume I am speaking with a Family rep here.

Are you suggesting the Aquilini's misinterpreted he contract? The issue of foreign workers leaving, (which is a made-up, fear-mongering issue) is also a total red-herring, utterly irrelevant to this discussion of a large corp taking advantage of vulnerable workers. And no, I don't let anyone off the hook if I find out atrocious behaviour. But this is a Canucks forum. See the connection?
Solid attempt at re-directing the discussion though. I give you 6 Fox Newses out of 10.
No relation at all. Did you read Chu's statement? Whether you believe it or not, it seems you just dismissed it because your prejudice, or must have ignored it. Please cite a source where this was fear mongering? How is this made up, when it can be easily verified? There is a long issue of temporary foreign workers disappearing. Calling out FOX NEWS!!! Great play from the SJW playbook. I guess evidence isn't in that publication.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

I found that story. It doesn't support your claim that "thousands" of foreign workers "disappear."

Here's a quotation from the story (which is from 2016):

Every year however, a few decide to “go underground” in order to remain illegally and continue to find work.
This year in Quebec, the number of Guatemalan foreign workers going “off-grid” has been unusually high, with about 100 disappearing. There ar about 4,000 Guatemalan “TFW’s” in Quebec each year and about 6,OOO across Canada
"A few" is hardly "thousands." "About 100" is an unusually high number for Quebec. That hardly suggests that "thousands" are disappearing.

If you can't find a source to support your claim, you should retract it.

Last edited:

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
How in the blue bloody **** does the fact that there might be some holes in the TFW program excuse breaking the law and excuse Luigi refusing to give water to workers until they've picked a quota?

Cabinessence:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad