OT: Aquilini Family found to have shortchanged migrant workers; new allegations of harassment surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Here'sthe recent Aquilini letter:

So... this letter was signed Jim Chu.

g2XYRQC.png

Former VPD Chief Constable Jim Chu.

What lessons have we learnt in the hockey world when it comes to the Aquilinis hiring local public figures for PR purposes?

Perception and reality are two completely different things.

Trevor wasn't hired for his hockey smarts. He was hired for the same reason Jim was hired. To be a front man.

These jackoffs are dirty as eff.

They don't give a crap what anyone thinks.

There is nobody in BC with the political will to hold them accountable which gives them carte blanche to do whatever the eff they want.

What happened to the Canucks post 2011 to now is just a microcosm of the reality that is the Aquilini investment group.

It's never been a Gillis or Benning thing, it's ownership and always has been.

My interest in this team is so low it ain't even funny.

EUHREaS.gif

Last edited:

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
What manner of boot licker must you be to take a bullit for the Aquilinis ...
Not much of an argument on your part. Because one listens to both sides of the story they are equated to being a boot licker? Poor.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The Aquilini's have to go. This is why for years, even while things were going well for the Canucks, I always argued we don't have good owners and that there would be a time when all this would go to hell. That's where we are. Smart management hid a lot of warts with these guys. It's also why I have always maintained that I want nothing to do with the Aquilini's owning the BC Lions.

I'm hopeful that the NHL will force the Aquilini's to sell the team.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
So... this letter was signed Jim Chu.

g2XYRQC.png

Former VPD Chief Constable Jim Chu.

What lessons have we learnt in the hockey world when it comes to the Aquilinis hiring local public figures for PR purposes?

Perception and reality are two completely different things.

Trevor wasn't hired for his hockey smarts. He was hired for the same reason Jim was hired. To be a front man.

These jackoffs are dirty as eff.

They don't give a crap what anyone thinks.

There is nobody in BC with the political will to hold them accountable which gives them carte blanche to do whatever the eff they want.

What happened to the Canucks post 2011 to now is just a microcosm of the reality that is the Aquilini investment group.

It's never been a Gillis or Benning thing, it's ownership and always has been.

My interest in this team is so low it ain't even funny.

EUHREaS.gif
Cancelled my season’s tickets

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Starting to believe the idea that aqua really does own shill accounts to drum up pro-canucks/aqua posts. On reddit any thread about the workers on /r/Canucks is basically getting downvoted brigaded.

Any anti Canuck thread on reddit is down voted. Wonder why.

Reactions: sexydonut

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
So take your narrative and keep the horse blinders on. Great way to learn. Human rights abusers? I think you need to learn proper terminology before just throwing it out there.
What does all that have to do with boot lickers being too nice of a term? I'm not saying you are the boot licking type. What I am saying is that if you aren't putting in the research and just defending a soul-less corporation over human beings then you are worse than a boot licker. Far far worse.

So does that describe you? Or did you put in the research?

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
The optics of all of this are beyond terrible and Aquilinis / the league will probably be doing something pretty drastic soon to try to change the narrative.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
So now there are some that are coming forward claiming they were intimidated and sexually harassed in addition to being stiffed on their pay. I know, I know, I'm late to the party. I mean I hardly expect Vice to be sympathetic to Golden Eagle, but yikes.

The Allegedly Exploitative Farm Owned by one of Canada’s Richest Families

At this point have we heard that several corrupt execs or managers have been terminated and are facing prosecution?

Or an acknowledgement of more then it being a "minor payroll" issue affecting upwards of 174 workers? (Phoenix payroll was once called a minor glitch if I remember correctly).

This reeks of the Panama papers all over again. Outrage and unbridled fury at the rules and laws that get broken by the rich...followed by nothing.

Reactions: timw33 and lindgren

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
The Aquilini's have to go. This is why for years, even while things were going well for the Canucks, I always argued we don't have good owners and that there would be a time when all this would go to hell. That's where we are. Smart management hid a lot of warts with these guys. It's also why I have always maintained that I want nothing to do with the Aquilini's owning the BC Lions.

I'm hopeful that the NHL will force the Aquilini's to sell the team.

I don't have too much confidence in the NHL to take the moral high ground on this issue.

I watched a few Nucks games last year but this year I won't watch them. The ownership group is disgusting. I would much prefer incompetence.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

CalderSchmalder

Jul 26, 2009
Vancouver
I've always heard bad things about the Aqs here and there, if true this is disgusting. I wonder who would even have the power to make them sell the team.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
And there are people out there still wondering why Trevor Linden and the Canucks ownership reached a ' mutual parting of the ways'? My respect for Trev just went up exponentially. You can only shudder to think what actually went on behind the scenes.

Now Jim Chu is probably next. From all reports a stand-up guy and principled chief of the VPD, who the Aquilini's will wring out of every last ounce of goodwill they can, before he sees the light and reaches 'a mutual parting" of the ways. Who's next? Rick Hansen? Sarah McLachlan?

Must confess I'm torn. As a Canucks lifer, I'll always pull for the players, trainers and the hockey ops guys. But the idea of the Aquilini's ever basking in the glow of a Stanley Cup champion is frankly repulsive.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
Starting to believe the idea that aqua really does own shill accounts to drum up pro-canucks/aqua posts. On reddit any thread about the workers on /r/Canucks is basically getting downvoted brigaded.
I am saying that for years. By the way, in this same page, there is one handle trying to discourage people to point out the obvious.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
I've always heard bad things about the Aqs here and there, if true this is disgusting. I wonder who would even have the power to make them sell the team.

Bettman and the board of Governors have the power to ban them from the NHL if needed, but I'm not sure to what level this would have to escalate to get them to comment on it. I know that Sekeres and Price have tried to get the NHL to comment on it.

There has of course been owners given bans before from the NHL and other leagues for various reasons(Donald Sterling for example), but I'm struggling to find a similar case to this one. I came across the John Spano story, but that was a failure to pay the $ required to own the Islanders.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The only way Aquilini would be forced to sell the team is if there were physical/sexual assault charges against him or if there was a Clippers-style racist thing happening. This stuff doesn’t even move the needle.

And if they did get rid of Fredo, he would just be legally removed from the club and another brother would take over.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
There is enough smoke here to call for a financial boycott at the very least from a fan perspective. I won't spend a dime on Canucks tickets or merch until this ownership group changes, and I will be letting the team know. I know they likely will not care, but it is still something that has to be done. Taking advantage of vulnerable temporary foreign workers is the lowest form of scummery. I hope this story gets huge.

Reactions: SomeoneGreat

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
This family and Jimmy P practically own this city between them. Who knows what other f***ed up shit has gone on that may never come to light...too much money and power going to people that shouldn’t be wielding it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad