Apex Legends F2P BR on all platforms

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Its not fanboys getting upset. It's you whining that a game is more popular than you wanted it to be and all logic and statistics saying you are wrong.

Apex Legends just broke another record by the way, most hours of a game watched in a week. 8.28 million hours. Previous record was 6.6 hours by Fortnight.

The real question is how long it can maintain the momentum and be monetized sufficiently.

You know some other developer is trying to make the next big thing.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
The real question is how long it can maintain the momentum and be monetized sufficiently.

You know some other developer is trying to make the next big thing.
People still play the original Titanfall. And games like Sea of Thieves and Battlefront 2 that had meh reviews and people were yelling and screaming wouldn't last long are still going strong with good player bases and constant updates to the games. People are still playing the first Battlefront remake too and the original Battlefront 2. Other games like Overwatch and Diablo III were said to be dead a long time ago. Nope. Still huge with a big player base.

I think people are getting too caught up in this BR game vs that BR game as if only one can exist at a time. Hell, COD Blackout still has a huge playerbase and nobody talks about that one.

Saying "the game won't last" is what we hear so many times and its just not the case at all and rarely does a game ever "not last" longer than expected. With such a huge player base already and the game breaking records left and right what are we talking here when we say the game wont last? Someone said 2 months. Thats flat out laughable.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
People still play the original Titanfall. And games like Sea of Thieves and Battlefront 2 that had meh reviews and people were yelling and screaming wouldn't last long are still going strong with good player bases and constant updates to the games. People are still playing the first Battlefront remake too and the original Battlefront 2. Other games like Overwatch and Diablo III were said to be dead a long time ago. Nope. Still huge with a big player base.

I think people are getting too caught up in this BR game vs that BR game as if only one can exist at a time. Hell, COD Blackout still has a huge playerbase and nobody talks about that one.

Saying "the game won't last" is what we hear so many times and its just not the case at all and rarely does a game ever "not last" longer than expected. With such a huge player base already and the game breaking records left and right what are we talking here when we say the game wont last? Someone said 2 months. Thats flat out laughable.

I'm an old man who plays old games. ;)

I'm a terrible customer because while I will invest heavily in a game, I will likely play that game for years and only play one or two new games per year - and with a backlog, I typically play older games because they've been patched sufficiently and have all kinds of mods and DLC at that point.

I think the newest shooter I played was Battlefield 1 and only because it was free with Origin Access. I've recently played a bunch of World of Warships and that's from 2015.

I guess, the question is whether you have these celebrity gaming influencers who hop from the shiniest new game to the next for hits and money or do they stay with the game that made them?

I don't see a lot of buzz around PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds anymore (never played it) but for awhile it was all people talked about.

I'm not being critical, I just know that my niece's boyfriend was asking me if I'd played APEX yet on the weekend and I hadn't heard of it - I'm really out of touch.

Last edited:

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Starting to see a lot of complaints about the pricing schemes of items on their store, I'm not interesting in buying any of that stuff but it does seem too expensive for what it is. I'd be curious to see how well they are doing with that, or if they are going to have to make big changes to their monetization scheme. They do have a battle pass system coming up, maybe that will be better value.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
charging 1100 coins for a skin when the purchase options are 1000 coins or 2000 coins is a bit scummy

Not to mention that everything other than weapon customizations is tied to one character.

So if for some reason you actually spent hundreds of dollars to make your character look slightly different but you decide you like playing as some new character they add more? Well I hope you have more money to waste.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
I haven't tried this game yet, I tend to prefer games more grounded in realism, which is part of why I always found PUBG more appealing than FN. I've watched a bit of it on Twitch, looks fun, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. Maybe if I play it I'll like it more.

That said PUBG is pretty dead outside of Asia. The numbers are still high during the day and then at night when it's mostly NA players it drops big time and goes below Dota & CS. As a note, Dota seems to even be passing it during the day at this point.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
You're really taking this games success personally.

Not really. I just came in here to give my expert opinion/review and was attacked.

charging 1100 coins for a skin when the purchase options are 1000 coins or 2000 coins is a bit scummy

It's EA. They are dying on the inside giving a game away for free. They will f*** this game up to make an extra $5.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I'm an old man who plays old games. ;)

I'm a terrible customer because while I will invest heavily in a game, I will likely play that game for years and only play one or two new games per year - and with a backlog, I typically play older games because they've been patched sufficiently and have all kinds of mods and DLC at that point.

I think the newest shooter I played was Battlefield 1 and only because it was free with Origin Access. I've recently played a bunch of World of Warships and that's from 2015.

I guess, the question is whether you have these celebrity gaming influencers who hop from the shiniest new game to the next for hits and money or do they stay with the game that made them?

I don't see a lot of buzz around PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds anymore (never played it) but for awhile it was all people talked about.

I'm not being critical, I just know that my niece's boyfriend was asking me if I'd played APEX yet on the weekend and I hadn't heard of it - I'm really out of touch.
Depends on the streamer obviously. Shroud still plays PUBG and Counter Strike frequently enough, although he's addicted to Apex right now.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Not really. I just came in here to give my expert opinion/review and was attacked.

Your review seemed pretty bad though, certainly far from "expert" level:

Winning battles man down is virtually impossible

That's not even close to being true. Hell just yesterday I got disconnected at the start of a match and my 2 friends won the game without me.

Last edited:
Reactions: HerpaDerp

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014

1. How are you an expert?
2. How were you attacked?

YOU are the one calling people "fanboys" simply because they do not agree with your opinion.

Take a look in the mirror.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
That's not even close to being true. Hell just yesterday I got disconnected at the start of a match and my 2 friends won the game without me.

I lost a 2 on 3 yesterday because we were playing with a rando and no communication. Lots of variables. The game isn't balanced very well. It's basically DDA they implement in their sports games in BR. You can die but be brought back to life. Not allowed to win at a high clip. Got to keep the noobs and everybody happy.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I lost a 2 on 3 yesterday because we were playing with a rando and no communication. Lots of variables. The game isn't balanced very well. It's basically DDA they implement in their sports games in BR. You can die but be brought back to life. Not allowed to win at a high clip. Got to keep the noobs and everybody happy.

DDA? As in it's secretly giving certain players in-game advantages to try to balance out their winning rates? Can I see some evidence of this?

Otherwise nobody is stopping you from winning, I have a couple friends who are good at these types of games and they do have high winning percentages. The game has random elements, but that's part of the fun.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
DDA? As in it's secretly giving certain players in-game advantages to try to balance out their winning rates? Can I see some evidence of this?

Otherwise nobody is stopping you from winning, I have a couple friends who are good at these types of games and they do have high winning percentages. The game has random elements, but that's part of the fun.

Proof of DDA in their sports games or this one?

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I'm saying they are basically bringing it to the BR scene with this bring people back from the dead bs. It defeats the whole purpose of BR.

How does bringing people back count as DDA?

DDA stands for dynamic difficulty adjustment correct? It's giving some players in-game advantages that other players don't have available so that they can have a better chance right? Respawning/reviving players isn't an example of DDA, every player in the match has the ability to be brought back and to bring people back.

It's not the same as making one teams players faster or their goalies worse than the other teams like in NHL 20whatever.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
How does bringing people back count as DDA?

DDA stands for dynamic difficulty adjustment correct? It's giving some players in-game advantages that other players don't have available so that they can have a better chance right? Respawning/reviving players isn't an example of DDA, every player in the match has the ability to be brought back and to bring people back.

It's not the same as making one teams players faster or their goalies worse than the other teams like in NHL 20whatever.
I would just stop trying. SouthGeorge has already decided they hate the game and will lie to give reasons for it. No use in trying to explain it to them anymore.

Apex Legends has a HUGE playerbase and will live on for a long time. Everyone has the same advantage in the game and it is indeed possible to win solo vs groups of other players. I have done it.

Just let it go.

Reactions: Beau Knows

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010
There's a good way to make sure the other team can't bring dead teammates back. Hint, kill the whole team.

As for low win percentage? That's on you, I've gone on streaks of 3 wins, 4 wins, etc. with ease with buddies. The game is pretty well balanced between characters and guns.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Where do you even look at your stats or compare with others? People are no life'ing this game for no reason.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I guess you didn't watch the tournament the other night when 7 of the 8 stream teams won like 90% of their games.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
312k viewers on Twitch.. Counterstrike has 300k. Yep, only a few more weeks. Enjoy your toddler BR while you can.
Alright... People stop replying to him. I thought he was just someone who hated the game and wanted to see it fail. But this... makes it clear. Counter Strike is in the middle of a huge tournament - of course it has tons of viewers. Same would happen if League of Legends has a give tournament.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Apex still having more viewers than IEM Katowice?

dead game confirmed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad