OT: Anything Goes 32: Topicality? What's that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I can’t wait for an engineering job with actual benefits. Bartending/serving is cool and there’s enough fast cash to make it worth it, but there aren’t many other perks to it

Reactions: Blue Liner

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'm in a weird situation. I'm in a well-paying job with good benefits, but also one that's effectively deadend and doesn't really provide any skills that would make me attractive as a candidate for future jobs other than providing a long period of employment and a previous impressive title. Couple that with the fact that I wouldn't be surprised if technology eventually automated most of the data entry elements of my work, and I'm assuming that within a decade there will probably be a crunch as companies seek to cut overhead on the title side of things with real estate. So, I should look for other work, but the need isn't remotely immediate.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I’m listening to 670 on my walk home, and they just played a clip from Les Grobstein’s show.

Some guy with a heavy SNL-style Chicago accent called in and suggested the Bears defense be nicknamed “The Chi-Town Shutdown Mob”.

That helped me realize that posters like 50 and LDF are essentially Grobber callers. Good people, passionate about Chicago teams, but who are just cut from a different cloth.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I'm in a weird situation. I'm in a well-paying job with good benefits, but also one that's effectively deadend and doesn't really provide any skills that would make me attractive as a candidate for future jobs other than providing a long period of employment and a previous impressive title. Couple that with the fact that I wouldn't be surprised if technology eventually automated most of the data entry elements of my work, and I'm assuming that within a decade there will probably be a crunch as companies seek to cut overhead on the title side of things with real estate. So, I should look for other work, but the need isn't remotely immediate.
Path of least resistance.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

I never watch these movies and have only seen parts of Black Panther and the Iron Man movies

Antman is probably the only superhero movie that has been released recently that I watched all the way thru and enjoyed

Probably because I didn't grow up caring about comic books and superhero's that I don't care for Marvel/DC movies. The Keaton Batman movies , Superman 1 and 2 as well as Nolan Batman movies are only super hero films I enjoyed

I grew up watching Friday the 13th , Nightmare on Elm Streets , Troma films , etc and cared about Horror/Scifi instead of the super hero stuff

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I never watch these movies and have only seen parts of Black Panther and the Iron Man movies

Antman is probably the only superhero movie that has been released recently that I watched all the way thru and enjoyed

Probably because I didn't grow up caring about comic books and superhero's that I don't care for Marvel/DC movies. The Keaton Batman movies , Superman 1 and 2 as well as Nolan Batman movies are only super hero films I enjoyed

I grew up watching Friday the 13th , Nightmare on Elm Streets , Troma films , etc and cared about Horror/Scifi instead of the super hero stuff
i just saw the aquaman movie ..... don't ask how.... no spoiler ..... most will enjoy it.

Last edited:
Reactions: HFBCommenter

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
So I guess the Penguins are staying at the hotel across the street from my restaurant and they’re doing their “dad’s trip” as well I think.

Matt Murray + some other player (maybe) sat in the dining room and Phil Kessel and his dad sat at the bar!! I was so jealous I wasn’t bartending tonight. It would’ve been so cool. Also, only 50% sure about this but I think Olli Maata was there too. Cool stuff.

I didn’t go up to Kessel or Murray, as I think it’s pretty rude to interrupt them when they’re trying to have a night out like a normal human being. The only cool bit I’ll share is that Kessel definitely isn’t fat or even a little out of shape.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
So I guess the Penguins are staying at the hotel across the street from my restaurant and they’re doing their “dad’s trip” as well I think.

Matt Murray + some other player (maybe) sat in the dining room and Phil Kessel and his dad sat at the bar!! I was so jealous I wasn’t bartending tonight. It would’ve been so cool. Also, only 50% sure about this but I think Olli Maata was there too. Cool stuff.

I didn’t go up to Kessel or Murray, as I think it’s pretty rude to interrupt them when they’re trying to have a night out like a normal human being. The only cool bit I’ll share is that Kessel definitely isn’t fat or even a little out of shape.

That all gets overblown with him and has taken on a life of its own over the years. He's not Johnny Oduya but he's not fat either. It's pretty tough to be flat-out fat and out of shape to play in this league, let alone at a high level. Buff had a couple rough off-seasons but he always got himself back by the time the season started.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
That all gets overblown with him and has taken on a life of its own over the years. He's not Johnny Oduya but he's not fat either. It's pretty tough to be flat-out fat and out of shape to play in this league, let alone at a high level. Buff had a couple rough off-seasons but he always got himself back by the time the season started.

It was always one of the dumbest things around the NHL. Seabs being "fat" is overblown, also. No one playing in the NHL is in "bad shape" honestly. I'd put money on Seabs being in better shape than 99% of the posters on here who criticize him for his weight.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
It was always one of the dumbest things around the NHL. Seabs being "fat" is overblown, also. No one playing in the NHL is in "bad shape" honestly. I'd put money on Seabs being in better shape than 99% of the posters on here who criticize him for his weight.

Some guys are "fat" by NHL/pro athlete standards in that they aren't 5% bodyfat and beasts in the gym. But no one is average joe fat playing in the NHL. Hell even the "fat" NFL lineman are jacked underneath some of that fat and can run faster than anyone on this website in 10 yard bursts.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Some guys are "fat" by NHL/pro athlete standards in that they aren't 5% bodyfat and beasts in the gym. But no one is average joe fat playing in the NHL. Hell even the "fat" NFL lineman are jacked underneath some of that fat and can run faster than anyone on this website in 10 yard bursts.

The funny thing is, also, that hockey players are typically more of the "average joe" kinda guy. You don't see a ton of them absolutely jacked/shredded... because bulky muscle doesn't translate well to the sport. Their legs and calves will be huge, and their core strength is great(even though it's not visible like with a football player). But they'll still look like a regular guy, not some ripped pro athlete. Not nearly as many 6 packs in the NHL as there are in some of the other pro sports.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
The funny thing is, also, that hockey players are typically more of the "average joe" kinda guy. You don't see a ton of them absolutely jacked/shredded... because bulky muscle doesn't translate well to the sport. Their legs and calves will be huge, and their core strength is great(even though it's not visible like with a football player). But they'll still look like a regular guy, not some ripped pro athlete. Not nearly as many 6 packs in the NHL as there are in some of the other pro sports.

This is true, though I'd say guys are definitely more fit and closer to that today than in the past. But you are correct, a lot of them in street clothes don't look like all that much physically.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
This is true, though I'd say guys are definitely more fit and closer to that today than in the past. But you are correct, a lot of them in street clothes don't look like all that much physically.

Yeah, nowadays it's more common, but the bold is more what I was getting at. In street clothes, you wouldn't look at them and be like "That's a professional athlete right there." like you would with a lot of football players or baseball players(sans pitchers :laugh:)

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Yeah, nowadays it's more common, but that's what I was more getting at. In street clothes, you wouldn't look at them and be like "That's a professional athlete right there." like you would with a lot of football players or baseball players.

This is who has changed the most in probably any of the "four majors". The common baseball player today is a much more fit, better conditioned, and overall more athletic than the average player of yesteryear.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

The implication is "fat" or out of shape compared to the level it should be for a player to be playing at his optimal performance. Seabs isn't fat by normal standards, but 10-15 pounds to a professional athlete is all the difference in the world, especially for someone who wasn't fleet of foot to begin with.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
The implication is "fat" or out of shape compared to the level it should be for a player to be playing at his optimal performance. Seabs isn't fat by normal standards, but 10-15 pounds to a professional athlete is all the difference in the world, especially for someone who wasn't fleet of foot to begin with.

Not denying that. But peopled talked about him like he was 50lbs overweight, eating 5 big macs at a time. Like legitimately fat. And that's not the case.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Wasn’t it not long ago we were giving Seabrook credit for having lost weight and looking quicker?

Lately it’s all been back to the he’s fat and slow!!!

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Wasn’t it not long ago we were giving Seabrook credit for having lost weight and looking quicker?

Lately it’s all been back to the he’s fat and slow!!!

Doesn't help when he is overplayed by about 7 minutes every night. The guy just doesn't have it in him to do that anymore. Lots of miles on those 45 inch mud tires. :laugh:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Doesn't help when he is overplayed by about 7 minutes every night. The guy just doesn't have it in him to do that anymore. Lots of miles on those 45 inch mud tires. :laugh:

No doubt about it. He also wasn’t playing that poorly either when logging 15-17 minutes a night.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
I wanted to use my eye insurance and went the Warby Parker route. Frames were a little hipster but I liked them and they will grow on me. But the lenses were absolute trash, I had to get my Rx checked against them because they were awful. But hey, $45 minus the $100 reimbursement .

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
As someone who sees and interacts with hockey players every day, it's interesting. Some of them you can just tell right away, but others, if you didn't know them already, you wouldn't know they were world-class athletes.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I have drank 2 very large and very strong cups of black coffee and brushed my teeth twice and all I can still taste right now is the copious amounts of gin I drank last night. :ha:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad