OT: Anything Goes 32: Topicality? What's that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
These are the best 5 sitcoms of all time, in no particular order:
Seinfeld
The Office
Curb Your Enthusiasm
All in the Family
Larry Sanders

And Friends was unwatchable.

I’m on my 3rd rewatch of The Office. Only show I’ve ever re watched from start to finish.

Wait that’s not true I think I rewatched Lost. So one of 2 then.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Very good list, though @hawksrule

If you like The Office, check out Brooklyn 99. It's basically a police version of The Office, IMO.

I also think Arrested Development could go up there somewhere in your list.

Reactions: Easy E

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I’m on my 3rd rewatch of The Office. Only show I’ve ever re watched from start to finish.

The Office is probably my favorite of all time. I've watched it 4-5 times through, and I still turn it on whenever I see it on Comedy Central. It's just so easy to watch it over and over again, and still laugh.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Very good list, though @hawksrule

If you like The Office, check out Brooklyn 99. It's basically a police version of The Office, IMO.

I also think Arrested Development could go up there somewhere in your list.

I liked the first few seasons of B99 but gave up on it by season 3 or so.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

I’ve never understood that kind of humor. (The Office, Parks). I just don’t get it. Love Seinfeld and Curb though.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

Friends is fine. It’s background chuckles while folding laundry.

I honestly can’t imagine rewatching lost. It was a struggle to plow through to the end the first time around.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Curb your Ethusiasum was really overrated, imo. I think Larry David is a good writer but he’s unlikeable as hell to watch on tv. I know that’s part of the show but he’s just too much for me. Really like JB Smoove on that show though.

Speaking of, did anyone see that Netflix documentary where someone being at the baseball game (the same exact game they filmed where Larry David took the hooker in Curb) got the dude exonerated from a murder he was accused for because they got him on film in the background in one of the shots at the same time of said murder? Really interesting stuff and insanely lucky for him that they just happened to be filming a for a TV show that day.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I just never could get into the Office. This might sound like a minor nitpick, but my brain kept getting fixated on the notion that the format made no sense and held the show back. The world's longest documentary on a paper company that's still going on? Uhhhh... no.

If they just made it Titus-like, where people have fourth wall breaking introspective scenes where they talk to themselves while looking at the camera, I honestly think I would've enjoyed the show much more.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Never got big into Friends. It was ok when I did watched, but never saw the huge appeal.

Seinfield is the best ever. Curb and the Office are up there as well.

I might take flack for this, but I always enjoyed Everybody Loves Raymond.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Curb your Ethusiasum was really overrated, imo. I think Larry David is a good writer but he’s unlikeable as hell to watch on tv. I know that’s part of the show but he’s just too much for me. Really like JB Smoove on that show though.

Speaking of, did anyone see that Netflix documentary where someone being at the baseball game (the same exact game they filmed where Larry David took the hooker in Curb) got the dude exonerated from a murder he was accused for because they got him on film in the background in one of the shots at the same time of said murder? Really interesting stuff and insanely lucky for him that they just happened to be filming a for a TV show that day.

I love Larry David as a character.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
The Office

::collossal gap::

Parks and Rec
Arrested Development
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
(can be tossed up in any order 2-4)

Shocked no one here mentioned IASIP

I pretty much used to speak in Office quotes I watched it so much, Seasons 1-6 mainly, I like to think it ended after Season 6. I was a bit young for Seinfeld to really love it, haven't given Curb that much time

Reactions: ChiHawks10

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

You’re crazy Larry David the character is hilarious.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I love Sunny, but I've only seen like twenty episodes. Need to watch the hell out of that sooner rather than later.

I've joked that if I ever was bedridden for a few months, I'd watch the Simpsons from beginning to "end" nonstop. I haven't watched the new stuff for over a decade now, but even recognizing that it's probably bad my love of the old stuff kind of compels me to want to watch it eventually.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Top non sitcoms

Breaking Bad
Black Mirror
Dexter (mainly seasons 1-5)

Honorable mention: Lost (amazing show the first watch, extremely hard to rewatch)

I think BB is #1, but the other two are not far behind. Hindsight, I'm happy they ended BB after 5 and didn't water it down.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Not near enough love for The Good Place here. It's creator and showrunner is Mike Schur, who co-created Parks and B99 and was Dwight's cousin on The Office. TGP has a million twists and turns while being as funny and heart warming as those other shows.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Office is great even the final 2 years aren't as bad as expected (Most series when losing star drop off so much they don't last)

I didn't watch Everybody Loves Raymond when it was on air nor the King of Queens but have watched both in syndication and enjoy them

I still prefer the 80's/90's sitcoms I grew up with naturally over shows like those 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad