Anyone questioning this team’s leadership/management?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I'm not sure how the Lucic move is relevant to what you're saying, though. That move slightly increased our cap space and removed a locker-room distraction. Neither of those things runs counter to anything you're saying we should have been focused on. Neal, after last season, wasn't going to be moved for anything other than negative value.
Assigning him to the AHL would have saved even more cap space.

It more than likely would have pushed him to the KHL as well, freeing up all the cap space. Plus then he'd be treated like the superstar he thinks he is.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
The coaching staff have got Johnny playing differently this year by having him chip in much more. Johnny for the first time in his career does not lead giveaways (27th overall) by a forward. Johnny has bought into reducing the risk from his game with hopes it will hell his game and the teams game come playoff time. This is a huge shift from previous years where Johnny would be far ahead by 20-30 turnovers.

Johnny is learning what it takes to win not just put up points. Almost every NHL star goes through this progression at some point. So kudos to Johnny. It might not be as thrilling but if he succeeds and provides more wins it only helps Calgary.

We suck now lol. We're barely hanging on to 3rd in the worst division in the league.

If someone told him to change his game and its leading to us having a -12 goal differential, Gaudreau massively down in the scoring race with an awful GF% then they should be fired.

Having giveaways isn't a bad thing, it means you have the puck in the first place. The current top 2 in giveaways are Barzal and Pastrnak. Why would anyone want either of those guys?

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
We suck now lol. We're barely hanging on to 3rd in the worst division in the league.

If someone told him to change his game and its leading to us having a -12 goal differential, Gaudreau massively down in the scoring race with an awful GF% then they should be fired.

Having giveaways isn't a bad thing, it means you have the puck in the first place. The current top 2 in giveaways are Barzal and Pastrnak. Why would anyone want either of those guys?

This guy has had some... interesting takes before in regards to Johnny. I’m not surprised whatsoever he brought it up.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
This guy has had some... interesting takes before in regards to Johnny. I’m not surprised whatsoever he brought it up.
Oh I know that. I just can't believe that anyone could actually see his play last year vs this year and think this is an improvement.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
I'm not sure how the Lucic move is relevant to what you're saying, though. That move slightly increased our cap space and removed a locker-room distraction. Neither of those things runs counter to anything you're saying we should have been focused on. Neal, after last season, wasn't going to be moved for anything other than negative value.

For me, after that disgraceful playoffs performance, I needed my confidence back and was hoping Trev would make a bold move to reinvigorate me. Something flashy, maybe move out a core piece or from the blueline to bring in that 2nd line scoring center, whoever it would be. And he almost did with the Kadri veto. Well we did make a bold move and it was for the player and contract we all laughed at because he was anchoring the Oilers cap situation by being overpaid and underproducing. I'm not necessarily against Lucic for what he brings to us, but put into the context of being arguably a top 3 worst contract in the league, that the Oilers were saddled with of all teams, and on the heels of shitting the bed in the playoffs, it completely demoralized me as a fan. And because of the inconsistency I've seen this year from the same team, I'm still demoralized.

Reactions: Drop Shock

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
For me, after that disgraceful playoffs performance, I needed my confidence back and was hoping Trev would make a bold move to reinvigorate me. Something flashy, maybe move out a core piece or from the blueline to bring in that 2nd line scoring center, whoever it would be. And he almost did with the Kadri veto. Well we did make a bold move and it was for the player and contract we all laughed at because he was anchoring the Oilers cap situation by being overpaid and underproducing. I'm not necessarily against Lucic for what he brings to us, but put into the context of being arguably a top 3 worst contract in the league, that the Oilers were saddled with of all teams, and on the heels of ****ting the bed in the playoffs, it completely demoralized me as a fan. And because of the inconsistency I've seen this year from the same team, I'm still demoralized.
I'm in this post and I don't like it.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

After last years playoffs Johnny obviously saw merits in adding to his game. A change in play style to this extent isn't something that could be performed in the off-season or training camp. If you believe Johnny is as gifted as many of you tell me at some point things are going to click and the points will come in droves.

Its all worth it if we go deep in the playoffs and Johnny is contributing.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
After last years playoffs Johnny obviously saw merits in adding to his game. A change in play style to this extent isn't something that could be performed in the off-season or training camp. If you believe Johnny is as gifted as many of you tell me at some point things are going to click and the points will come in droves.

Its all worth it if we go deep in the playoffs and Johnny is contributing.
Just need that 'IF' to be a lot bigger.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
One of the biggest and the first questions this organization, the management of this team and the fans of this team need to ask is "Can we win a Stanley Cup with this core?" and go from there.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Just need that 'IF' to be a lot bigger.
Even then how is this years team more dangerous if we get in? They don't play well for stretches they play well for a game or two and then go back to mediocrity.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I personally can't understand how you could watch Johnny this season and come to the conclusion that he has "added" to his game. To me that is an easy cop out to try and justify his struggles and underachieving to date. The fact is that Gaudreau is individually the biggest reason as to why this team has struggled so heavily. I am not sure why that is - it could be injury related, personal issues, more awareness and attention from the opposition etc.. For all we know the big boys might be saving their best hockey for the stretch drive and into the playoffs in an attempt to prevent last years first round performance from reoccurring. I have been heavily underwhelmed by Gaudreau, Giordano, and Tkachuk specifically to date this season - if and when those guys get going we will be in much better shape, but more scoring and depth is needed regardless.

If you want to point to someone adding to there game look no further than his linemate in Monahan who has clearly made it a point to become more engaged and physical on a game to game basis. He has already smashed his career high in hits and we are only 50 games into the season. To me that is showcasing a player who is clearly trying to add an element that will help the team win in a playoff series.

I truly believe a coach needs to be brought in if you want any hope of making some noise in the playoffs. I like Ward as a person, but it is very evident the team is not performing anywhere near the levels they should be and some hot goaltending has covered up for some piss poor play. Simply slotting Backlund back at center where he clearly belongs will go along ways in helping this team line match and score more at even strength. Also splitting that second pairing is something that needs to happen and has beaten to death. A few key lineup tweaks, and the addition of a top six forward would make this team a legitimate threat to win a playoff round or two.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I don't know where else to put this, but has anyone thought that there was a definite call to Johnny and maybe Mony too, to pace them so that they have something for the stretch run and playoffs? Maybe it wasn't put exactly this way, but maybe a directive was given to the coaching staff to reduce the demand on the duo.

As much as people may rag on Gaudreau for bits and pieces of stretch play in past years, one thing I never saw was him wanting to come off the ice early (basically short shifting himself). I also never noted any prolonged stretch with lack of effort. I've seen short shifting and avoiding high traffic, danger areas that I haven't seen in the past.

Anyway, not trying to be a tin-foil hat theorist, but I haven't heard this talked about much. That it might be straight from management on down to reduce the wear and tear on Johnny and Mony during the regular season in hopes that have something for the stretch run and playoffs.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
I think people are looking too much into this blaming the core group etc. The main thing is this team has no elite talent outside of Gaudreau (when he is on) and Gio last year. This is built like a team that is missing its #1C whose out for injury. Even if we got Kadri we would look much better as Lindholm can shore up our weak RW. Our defense has looked bad cause of the 2nd pairing. I think next year having sn improved Andersson and full year of Valimaki will insert some freshness there and it will get better. I dont see how we fix the forwards. I really wish Treliving had just given up Valimaki for Stone last year. Were not getting a #1C but at least we couldve got a legit top line winger.

We have a good skeleton.

Great top pairing (Brodie-Gio)

Good young dmen (Valimaki,Kylington, Andy)

Good wingers (assuming Lindholm is a winger) with Lindholm, Tkachuk, and Gaudreau.

And ok depth pieces like Bennett, Backlund, and Ryan.

If Gaudreau plays like last year we are comforably in a playoff spot but i dont see how we go past a 1st or 2nd round. U add another top 6 centre to this group and have the defense rebound from the horrible Hanifin Hamonic pairing and maybe we can have success.

Also we need a new coach Asap, Ward gives me no confidence especially with his stubborn line combo's.

Last edited:

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I personally can't understand how you could watch Johnny this season and come to the conclusion that he has "added" to his game. To me that is an easy cop out to try and justify his struggles and underachieving to date. The fact is that Gaudreau is individually the biggest reason as to why this team has struggled so heavily. I am not sure why that is - it could be injury related, personal issues, more awareness and attention from the opposition etc.. For all we know the big boys might be saving their best hockey for the stretch drive and into the playoffs in an attempt to prevent last years first round performance from reoccurring. I have been heavily underwhelmed by Gaudreau, Giordano, and Tkachuk specifically to date this season - if and when those guys get going we will be in much better shape, but more scoring and depth is needed regardless.

If you want to point to someone adding to there game look no further than his linemate in Monahan who has clearly made it a point to become more engaged and physical on a game to game basis. He has already smashed his career high in hits and we are only 50 games into the season. To me that is showcasing a player who is clearly trying to add an element that will help the team win in a playoff series.

I truly believe a coach needs to be brought in if you want any hope of making some noise in the playoffs. I like Ward as a person, but it is very evident the team is not performing anywhere near the levels they should be and some hot goaltending has covered up for some piss poor play. Simply slotting Backlund back at center where he clearly belongs will go along ways in helping this team line match and score more at even strength. Also splitting that second pairing is something that needs to happen and has beaten to death. A few key lineup tweaks, and the addition of a top six forward would make this team a legitimate threat to win a playoff round or two.

I don't think we are getting a new coach, if a coaching change would have happened, it would have happened right now during the 9 days off.

I really hope we don't trade assets because this is a bubble team, I don't think players like Toffoli will do much for this team.

The best things that can happen right now:

Decide what you are going to do with Brodie and Hamonic, Brodie has shown that he is willing to stay, while Hamonic has not, trade Hamonic(maybe we are able to get lucky and do Kapanen for Hamonic) for assets.

Decide what you are going to do about the coaching, they have decided that this year they are going to run with Ward. Decide in the summer, what the long term plan is.

Try to get picks for the players not in the long term plans.

Right now this team does not inspire a lot of confidence and is a bubble team, so no need to waste assets.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I think people are looking too much into this blaming the core group etc. The main thing is this team has no elite talent outside of Gaudreau (when he is on) and Gio last year. This is built like a team that is missing its #1C whose out for injury. Even if we got Kadri we would look much better as Lindholm can shore up our weak RW. Our defense has looked bad cause of the 2nd pairing. I think next year having sn improved Andersson and full year of Valimaki will insert some freshness there and it will get better. I dont see how we fix the forwards. I really wish Treliving had just given up Valimaki for Stone last year. Were not getting a #1C but at least we couldve got a legit top line winger.

We have a good skeleton.

Great top pairing (Brodie-Gio)

Good young dmen (Valimaki,Kylington, Andy)

Good wingers (assuming Lindholm is a winger) with Lindholm, Tkachuk, and Gaudreau.

And ok depth pieces like Bennett, Backlund, and Ryan.

If Gaudreau plays like last year we are comforably in a playoff spot but i dont see how we go past a 1st or 2nd round. U add another top 6 centre to this group and have the defense rebound from the horrible Hanifin Hamonic pairing and maybe we can have success.

Also we need a new coach Asap, Ward gives me no confidence especially with his stubborn line combo's.

Very true.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

When Jason Arnott went to the Washington Capitals Ovi ****The best goal scorer Ever**** learned there was more to succeeding in the NHL than what he was doing. From 2010 until 2012 Ovi sacrificed some goal scoring to become a more complete player. Without this change Ovi and the Caps don't win the cup in 18.

Johnny left the playoffs last season seeing that he needed to change his game and we are witnessing the results of him working to become a better player. Instead of being near the top 10 in scoring he is 62nd. With 713 players in the league it still leaves Johnny in the top 10%.

Down the stretch Johnny will out perform the previous 2 seasons because of the adjustments made. The players and the fans have to be willing to suffer short term pain to find long term gain. This should have been an issue dealt with in the AHL in Johnny's first couple seasons but an empty cupboard brought him into the line-up prematurely.

This is the best sign to me that the players are dead serious about becoming better after game 82.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
When Jason Arnott went to the Washington Capitals Ovi ****The best goal scorer Ever**** learned there was more to succeeding in the NHL than what he was doing. From 2010 until 2012 Ovi sacrificed some goal scoring to become a more complete player. Without this change Ovi and the Caps don't win the cup in 18.

Johnny left the playoffs last season seeing that he needed to change his game and we are witnessing the results of him working to become a better player. Instead of being near the top 10 in scoring he is 62nd. With 713 players in the league it still leaves Johnny in the top 10%.

Down the stretch Johnny will out perform the previous 2 seasons because of the adjustments made. The players and the fans have to be willing to suffer short term pain to find long term gain. This should have been an issue dealt with in the AHL in Johnny's first couple seasons but an empty cupboard brought him into the line-up prematurely.

This is the best sign to me that the players are dead serious about becoming better after game 82.

And if we don’t make the playoffs because of these supposed “adjustments”?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Haha nice picture you are trying to draw. Let's see if it's real or just a pipedream

I hope you are right but my skeptical mind keeps telling me the league has figured him out and his passenger linemate is helpless.....we'll see

Reactions: SKRusty

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Czarnik: 19 pts in 17 games in the AHL...seems like a no-brainer to me. 3 game point streak before he got injured too, he won't change our season around all by himself but he can definitely be a nice option. Quine as well, hopefully we mix things up after the all star break.

eternalflame2016

Nov 3, 2018
On the topic of leadership, one of our assistant captains picked for the all-star game and who's picture is my avatar. Felt the need to remove his Calgary flames jersey to reveal a st Louis jersey underneath while he took part in the skills competition.

I don't know about you guys, but that doesn't scream I want to be a flame to me.

I know he was a st Louis fan as a child, but I don't think it's very good leadership

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
One of the biggest problem with this organization is that it won't spend money to get a top tier coach, they will spend right to the cap on player salaries but cheap out when it comes to coaching. Hopefully this changes, maybe in the future, we have new ownership and this changes.

For right now there is no need to waste assets, trade Brodie and/or Hamonic for picks and any players that are not in the team's long term plans should be traded. This is a bubble team, that is most likely to get bounced in the first round.

The picks will come in handy at the draft, landing an impact player that this team needs.

The plan should be:

Load up on picks.

In the summer time there will be some good coaches available, Peter Laviolette and Gallant will be available, as well other top tier coaches, go after them, don't cheap out and let them hire their own assistant coaches.

Ty to shake up the core, try to make a major deal that lands an impact player(preferably a Center, if you can't land a center than go for a RW), use the picks you have saved by not trading for players like Toffoli, who don't move the needle at all for the Flames and the picks you have gained by trading players not in the teams long term plans.

Try to get better depth on all the forward lines.

See where the defense needs works.

The goal tending is good, can it use a upgrade? yeah, if there is a clear upgrade available go it, otherwise it is good.

If I was the Flames ownership I'd give Brad Treliving two years before I think long and hard about making changes at the GM position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad