Anyone questioning this team’s leadership/management?

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Can't really blame the players for any of the coaching changes.

Hartley was let go because he wouldn't accede to Treliving's demands (i.e., institute a defensive system).
Gulutzan was a joke of a coach.
Peters was/is a racist.
Ward, again, joke of a coach despite the record.

Maybe if the Flames actually hired a quality coach from the get go, then one could say it's all on the players. But it's an easy fix; hire Gallant or Laviolette or even Boudreau in the summer and go from there.

I don't know what to think of Ward. The players have been garbage under both him and Peters.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I just want the Flames for once to get the guy with the pedigree and record. Just once, not pick a coach out of the bargain bin.
One would think that it would be a pretty easy decision to hire a coach that took an expansion team to the Stanley Cup Finals and is by and large considered to have been fired unceremoniously.

And if not him, then one would think that it would be a pretty easy decision to hire a coach that has taken three separate teams to the Stanley Cup Finals.

One would think that it would make a lot of sense to do one of those things.

One would think.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
I'm not sold that Tre messed up the Neal signing. On paper he was EXACTLY what this team needed. Big, tough, scoring RW with playoff experience. It was Neal that decided to stop giving a **** and screwed us over.

Because of that, Tre's hand was forced and he had to do something to get the POS quitter out of our locker room. Now we have Lucic. What can you do?

Brouwer was his biggest mistake, but Neal was out of his control... IMO.

Neal was always a big, slow shooter with zero defensive game. We already had one of those on Gaudreau's line.

He was never going to be a fit. Tre messed up 100%. At least Feaster signed Hudler, Trelivings UFAs are one disaster after another.

And a cheap shot artist <> tough.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Neal was always a big, slow shooter with zero defensive game. We already had one of those on Gaudreau's line.

He was never going to be a fit. Tre messed up 100%. At least Feaster signed Hudler, Trelivings UFAs are one disaster after another.

And a cheap shot artist <> tough.
I mean ya, he's no Panarin or Rantanen but when you're shopping in the free agent pool, you are more limited in what's available to fill your needs (you're not signing BPA). Neal was the best there was for us at the time and I'd still take a slower offensive player if he can put the damn puck in the net.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Random thought?

What does this have to do with anything?

Wideman was on his way out and the flames players already quit on peters...Ward, arguably the worst coach in the NHL got more wins, i would say BT got lucky with the Peters thing...lol

My thoughts that it's a significantly bigger locker room distraction than the typical team has to deal with once, let alone twice. Treliving had to be part of that navigation. It wasn't just a clean cut with Peters and Wideman, it was probably all sorts of other crap behind the scenes that needed dealing with as well.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
I mean ya, he's no Panarin or Rantanen but when you're shopping in the free agent pool, you are more limited in what's available to fill your needs (you're not signing BPA). Neal was the best there was for us at the time and I'd still take a slower offensive player if he can put the damn puck in the net.

Its not about not being a Panarin. Monahan and Neal are both slow AF and the only thing they both can do is shoot.

And its not like Johnny was going to be flying all over the ice covering for them and hounding down pucks Monahan/Neal cant get anywhere near to fast enough.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Its not about not being a Panarin. Monahan and Neal are both slow AF and the only thing they both can do is shoot.

And its not like Johnny was going to be flying all over the ice covering for them and hounding down pucks Monahan/Neal cant get anywhere near to fast enough.
James Neal scored a lot of goals not playing with Gaudreau and Monahan, he could have done it on the Flames too. No reason he couldn't have been successful playing with Backs and Chucky who were able to play defense but could also score too. In theory, Neal should have been a fit there.

Neal didn't fit anywhere not because he wasn't a fit. He didn't fit because he didn't give a ****.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
We need a hardass coach, plain and simple. Needs to get EVERYONE in line and if you don't/can't cut it, then you're done here, plain and simple. No more 'wah the coach is mean' bs. You're pro hockey players, making millions(or hundred of thousands) of dollars. Grow TF up, grow a sack, and man up.
IDK what happened....but....It's become obvious over the past few seasons that this entire team is very mentally fragile. Whether that's on management, the coaches, or the players, IDK.
I'm just sick and tired of these talented players coasting by on their skill or just an entire lack of effort or not showing up until it's the 3rd period(which has been a very alarming trend for too long). It's very unnerving to think about as a fan.

/rant. I'm just....tired ....of always being let down by this team when it has some GOOD players.

Reactions: Philemon Rainer

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
I still have PTSD from that first round humiliation in last year's playoffs. I still haven't gotten over it. And then we went and traded for Lucic when we should've all known that we rode some career seasons last year from key players, and that it was most likely they weren't going to repeat that and would need to fill those gaps, which we never did. It was the first time in my life as a Shames fan that I questioned if this is the right team to cheer for. Just so demoralizing. And their overall play this year, their game to game effort, is frustrating and wildly inconsistent, which to me may be a sign of poor leadership/coaching, but more of a sign of just not good enough players overall.

It's just a deeply flawed team. Summed up: We're still soft, there's not enough skill, there's not enough depth.

Agree or disagree?

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Oiler fan coming in peace here.
I still think Gaudreau has some kind of injury/illness. He usually is a pretty fun player to watch but this year something has changed. Y0u guys clearly follow the Flames closer then I do, any word if there is some kind of injury?

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I still think Gaudreau has some kind of injury/illness. He usually is a pretty fun player to watch but this year something has changed. Y0u guys clearly follow the Flames closer then I do, any word if there is some kind of injury?

Some of us have been wondering if there's a deep seated issue with his hands/wrists. Over the years he's been hacked and slashed so much on his wrists/hands(which has minimal protection) that it genuinely would not surprise me if Johnny/the team tomorrow came out and said 'my/his wrists are effed and I/he need surgery'.
Could also be mental too, but I still think it's definitely something to do with his hands or some kind of injury in general.
For reference, Monahan 2 seasons ago(or was it last season? can't remember) played thru almost the entire season with a bad hand/wrist injury. Same things probably happening here.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
It's a combination of a few things. Confidence, the league getting wise to his sorcery and likely some breakdown in his ability to dangle (from multiple slashes and hacks). He is still our go to play driver and still impact games, but I've noticed he's not always 'on' in games. You just know when he is and when he isn't.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
The biggest thing that ****ed this franchise was Sam Bennett not turning into the #1 center everyone thought he was.

The Hamonic trade was awful.

The Hamilton trade was ok, we have up a lot but got two good players out of it.

The UFA signings were just bad.

The coaching hires have been a disaster.

This team needs a true #1 center.

I like what Lindy brings over what Hamilton brought us. Even 1 for 1 I like Lindy. Very underrated.

f*** Fox... and Ferland meh.

Reactions: viper0220

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I like what Lindy brings over what Hamilton brought us. Even 1 for 1 I like Lindy. Very underrated.

**** Fox... and Ferland meh.
Anybody think Fox would be a useful addition to our D corp right now? Can't decide if he's an upgrade on Hamonic or not. Anybody know how he's been on the defensive side? I know he's had success offensively so far.

Giordano - Brodie
Hanafin - Fox
Andersson - Kylington

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Anybody think Fox would be a useful addition to our D corp right now? Can't decide if he's an upgrade on Hamonic or not. Anybody know how he's been on the defensive side? I know he's had success offensively so far.

Giordano - Brodie
Hanafin - Fox
Andersson - Kylington

Fox was dead set on Foxing in a big US city.

Reactions: Janks

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
It's a combination of a few things. Confidence, the league getting wise to his sorcery and likely some breakdown in his ability to dangle (from multiple slashes and hacks). He is still our go to play driver and still impact games, but I've noticed he's not always 'on' in games. You just know when he is and when he isn't.

The coaching staff have got Johnny playing differently this year by having him chip in much more. Johnny for the first time in his career does not lead giveaways (27th overall) by a forward. Johnny has bought into reducing the risk from his game with hopes it will hell his game and the teams game come playoff time. This is a huge shift from previous years where Johnny would be far ahead by 20-30 turnovers.

Johnny is learning what it takes to win not just put up points. Almost every NHL star goes through this progression at some point. So kudos to Johnny. It might not be as thrilling but if he succeeds and provides more wins it only helps Calgary.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

Giordano - Brodie
Hanafin - Fox
Andersson - Kylington
Totally different style of player than Hamonic which is (probably) why he wouldn't push him out of that position. Otherwise Andersson would already be there full time.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I just want the Flames for once to get the guy with the pedigree and record. Just once, not pick a coach out of the bargain bin.

Gallant, to me, is the big dog out there.
One hell of a coach. Twice in a row his GM has quit on him. The guy knows how to win, and two coaching gigs in a row the team hasn't been patient to see it through.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
A good comparable to Fox in playstyle is Kylington, and it's clear that management isn't bullish on him

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I still have PTSD from that first round humiliation in last year's playoffs. I still haven't gotten over it. And then we went and traded for Lucic when we should've all known that we rode some career seasons last year from key players, and that it was most likely they weren't going to repeat that and would need to fill those gaps, which we never did. It was the first time in my life as a Shames fan that I questioned if this is the right team to cheer for. Just so demoralizing. And their overall play this year, their game to game effort, is frustrating and wildly inconsistent, which to me may be a sign of poor leadership/coaching, but more of a sign of just not good enough players overall.

It's just a deeply flawed team. Summed up: We're still soft, there's not enough skill, there's not enough depth.

Agree or disagree?
I'm not sure how the Lucic move is relevant to what you're saying, though. That move slightly increased our cap space and removed a locker-room distraction. Neither of those things runs counter to anything you're saying we should have been focused on. Neal, after last season, wasn't going to be moved for anything other than negative value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad