Confirmed with Link: Anthony Mantha signs 4 year extension ($5.7m cap hit)

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
If Bylsma picked up points at a .450 clip, that would be about 40 points. We'd finish with 46 points for a .416 pct.
That would make us one spot better than we are now - ahead of Ottawa and LA.

All Bylsma does is make this team stop being so f***ing totally and completely awful. Puts this team in more games. And give people more reason to watch.

Cool fantasy land you live in.

Bylsma, or anyone else, is not going to lead this god awful roster to a .450 clip. You apparently don't understand how bad the talent on this team is.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Cool fantasy land you live in.

Bylsma, or anyone else, is not going to lead this god awful roster to a .450 clip. You apparently don't understand how bad the talent on this team is.

You don't understand how this league is constructed.
A decent coach will coach a bad team to a .450 record.

That's what good low-event hockey coaches do in a loser point league.

Jeff Blashill is not a good coach.

Here we are, years later. I'm still arguing to fire the coach, and you're still arguing that I'm in a fantasy land.

I was right on firing Babcock 2-3 years before he resigned.
And I've been right about firing Blashill for 2 years now.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Disco Dan the guy that can't coach our pk? Lol, look this team is gonna be a gong show for any coach for a minimum 3 years. Just let Blash finish his contract this year. People are gonna be upset as hell next year when the "miracle worker" next coach falls on his face as well.

The talent on the team is abysmal. I would prefer to trade Fabbri cause he isn't a center. But when fully healthy we only have one forward line that can present a credible offensive threat (MLB). The majority of our D is cast off bottom pairing or 7th defender types. It will be 23-24 season before we even start to improve minutely and that is mainly if we get a stud prospect center and hopefully 1-2d prospects besides Seider.
Disco coaches the pathetic PP, Houda coaches the pathetic PK. The entire coaching staff needs an overhaul, which means we have to wait until the end of the season like you said.

The team only has one "credible offensive threat" because it only has one center. Acquire a "stud center" and a decent 3C and the whole complexion of this team changes.

Getting back to the topic, I would easily trade Mantha+ for any 1C or 2C.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
You don't understand how this league is constructed.
A decent coach will coach a bad team to a .450 record.

That's what good low-event hockey coaches do in a loser point league.

Jeff Blashill is not a good coach.

Here we are, years later. I'm still arguing to fire the coach, and you're still arguing that I'm in a fantasy land.

I was right on firing Babcock 2-3 years before he resigned.
And I've been right about firing Blashill for 2 years now.

Well you've convinced yourself of all that, I can see. But you aren't presenting a convincing argument to the rest of us. You are making huge assumptions to float your conclusion, abusing statistics (for the millionth time), and connecting dots that have nothing to do with one another.

You're not in fantasy land because you think Blashill is a bad coach or because you want to fire him. You're in fantasy land because you believe Dan Bylsma would be a significant upgrade over Blashill, when there is literally nothing to indicate that other than wishful thinking.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Fire Blashill just to have Dan Bylsma take over an already-shorthanded coaching staff, and also leave him further shorthanded for at least 2 weeks while another assistant is brought in.... is just silly. It's an "anybody is better than Blashill" mindset that is misguided and short-sighted.

No, just suck it up and deal with it for 3 more months.

Just suck it up and deal with it?

Yeah, no.

Mrthods like that are why we started a rebuild two seasons too late

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

Yeah, no.

Which coach do you think would come in and make a noticeable difference? I'm not convinced of Blashill and am fine if he gets fired, but the problem on this team is talent. We'd still have issues with Blashill if this team was better, but we honestly have no clue if Blashill can coach an actual NHL team since he's never had it.

Now, with that said - I don't think he will last to the point when this team is actually competitive. I will just defer to my original questions, I feel like firing Blashill would just be for show at this point. I'm not seeing anything he is doing that is detrimental to the organization.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Right now, losing isn't the problem that needs fixing.

Being prepared, being engaged, competing hard, playing a system, buying in, being cohesive... these are all things that need to be fixed regardless of the roster.

Trash Blash

Reactions: breuk

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Iyer was saying 5 on 5 we actually have a top 10 defense analytically. That is amazing. We have gotten spectacularly bad goaltending, again analytically Griess and Bernier, especially Griess are giving up way more goals than expect, Griess almost a full goal at -.9. This is a bad team, but they sure do like to lose in different ways. The special teams are laughably bad and yet we are being sold that is the reason we keep a couple of completely finished vets in the lineup and prospects out. Yzerman and Blash need to start playing these kids, sucking and not developing isn't what the fans signed up for in this rebuild, you need to give a damn about developing these guys and prioritizing the future at this point. Tired of the half measures, lets shake something up gentleman and trust some of the youth and start integrating talent, we cannot hope to have it arrive all at once, it is time to start.

I hope we see that soon, pessimistic we will. I just want a little more progress at this point, I get there is a patience but this is getting extensive, I don't want to be in an Edmonton or Buffalo situation. I mean they did get exceptional talent eventually of course under different rules, but man we need to start improving a little more. I like that 5 on 5 stat news, but we just have no offensive punch, we need to start shedding dead weight and finding out what youth we have and where we need to keep building right now over this season and summer in my opinion.

I don't think Mantha has been what I wanted him to be for sure. But he is still one of the few difference makers we have. He does track back defensively even if we have seen some failures there and lack of effort at times this year, he isn't necessarily a serial offender. The problem is like Franzen an engaged Mantha is mesmerizing and you want to see it every time. I think he is a piece that helps moving forward as we get more talent around and he is your fourth or fifth option that is a really nice piece. He does need to take his play up, no denying that, but I am not giving up on Anthony Mantha. He is a good piece and important piece of this picture for me.

Last edited:

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Iyer was saying 5 on 5 we actually have a top 10 defense analytically. That is amazing. We have gotten spectacularly bad goaltending, again analytically Griess and Bernier, especially Griess are giving up way more goals than expect, Griess almost a full goal at -.9. This is a bad team, but they sure do like to lose in different ways. The special teams are laughably bad and yet we are being sold that is the reason we keep a couple of completely finished vets in the lineup and prospects out. Yzerman and Blash need to start playing these kids, sucking and not developing isn't what the fans signed up for in this rebuild, you need to give a damn about developing these guys and prioritizing the future at this point. Tired of the half measures, lets shake something up gentleman and trust some of the youth and start integrating talent, we cannot hope to have it arrive all at once, it is time to start.

I hope we see that soon, pessimistic we will. I just want a little more progress at this point, I get there is a patience but this is getting extensive, I don't want to be in an Edmonton or Buffalo situation. I mean they did get exceptional talent eventually of course under different rules, but man we need to start improving a little more. I like that 5 on 5 stat news, but we just have no offensive punch, we need to start shedding dead weight and finding out what youth we have and where we need to keep building right now over this season and summer in my opinion.

I don't think Mantha has been what I wanted him to be for sure. But he is still one of the few difference makers we have. He does track back defensively even if we have seen some failures there and lack of effort at times this year, he isn't necessarily a serial offender. The problem is like Franzen an engaged Mantha is mesmerizing and you want to see it every time. I think he is a piece that helps moving forward as we get more talent around and he is your fourth or fifth option that is a really nice piece. He does need to take his play up, no denying that, but I am not giving up on Anthony Mantha. He is a good piece and important piece of this picture for me.

This illustrates why I really want to get into the top 3 of next years draft or the '23 draft. Picking up a cost controlled RFA deal center prospect stud will go a huge way to fixing our lack of offense. A guy like Wright, or Lambert, or the Russian kid in '23 will end our main problem of only being a one line team that can generate offense. Yes a puck moving D would help as well, but they don't stay cheap for long so ideally the offensive D pick up is the type of prospect you want to pick up right when you envision starting to climb outta the cellar.

I was a little put off that we went with Raymond this past year. Because top 6 wingers are easy to pick up in UFA to put you over the edge when your contending window is opening up. But c'est le vie I'm not under the delusion that I'm better than Stevie at constructing a team.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This illustrates why I really want to get into the top 3 of next years draft or the '23 draft. Picking up a cost controlled RFA deal center prospect stud will go a huge way to fixing our lack of offense. A guy like Wright, or Lambert, or the Russian kid in '23 will end our main problem of only being a one line team that can generate offense. Yes a puck moving D would help as well, but they don't stay cheap for long so ideally the offensive D pick up is the type of prospect you want to pick up right when you envision starting to climb outta the cellar.

I was a little put off that we went with Raymond this past year. Because top 6 wingers are easy to pick up in UFA to put you over the edge when your contending window is opening up. But c'est le vie I'm not under the delusion that I'm better than Stevie at constructing a team.

I had Raymond at 3 on my board, I think he is going to be a great player. He will take a little bit of time to develop, but he reminds me of Pasta. I think he is a superstar winger and I look at those guys differently. We will see how it plays out, we have to develop him right, but I really do think we got a good one in the last draft.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007

Yeah, no.

No, I mean the fans need to suck it up and deal with it, not the players or organization. I don't believe they have anything to suck up, because unlike the most vociferous Blashill detractors, they are no doubt aware of just how bad this roster is. It's unlikely the players are stewing about poor coaching. They are able to look around the locker room and realize 90% of the roster is bottom-6 forwards and bottom-pair defensemen.

I want Blashill gone too. I agree he's not been a very good coach. He's not the coach to take this team to the next level at the very least. But now is not the time to fire him.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I had Raymond at 3 on my board, I think he is going to be a great player. He will take a little bit of time to develop, but he reminds me of Pasta. I think he is a superstar winger and I look at those guys differently. We will see how it plays out, we have to develop him right, but I really do think we got a good one in the last draft.

I don't lament that we got him. But I believe C's and D's are infinitely more important to attain. It is tough to judge him given that he is a kid in a men's league playing atm, It is good that when he plays in his own age bracket he is ppg though so that is reassuring. I feel he was #4-5 last year but what do I know. I just can't see how people would have him ahead of Stutzle or however you spell his name lol. I would have taken a stab at Sanderson more than likely if I was GM. Because I feel if he made Hronek redundant we could trade Hronek for a better piece or picks than a winger like Zadina or Raymond would fetch but that is dependent on him developing properly.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan

The thing is though Raymond was the prospect with the most potential left at that point in the draft. The Wings took a bet on Raymond becoming a whole lot closer to a Panarin than a Nyquist (in terms of his ability to drive a line), which is exactly the kind of risk that was necessary for the Wings at 4th that I felt was necessary.

I don't lament that we got him. But I believe C's and D's are infinitely more important to attain. It is tough to judge him given that he is a kid in a men's league playing atm, It is good that when he plays in his own age bracket he is ppg though so that is reassuring. I feel he was #4-5 last year but what do I know. I just can't see how people would have him ahead of Stutzle or however you spell his name lol. I would have taken a stab at Sanderson more than likely if I was GM. Because I feel if he made Hronek redundant we could trade Hronek for a better piece or picks than a winger like Zadina or Raymond would fetch but that is dependent on him developing properly.

Look at the last true NHL dynasty, the Chicago Blackhawks, as an example of a highly successful team where the best player was a Winger. Sure those teams were loaded with talent from top to bottom, by Kane was the clear best player on those teams (and still is, though the Hawks suck now).

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Look at the last true NHL dynasty, the Chicago Blackhawks, as an example of a highly successful team where the best player was a Winger. Sure those teams were loaded with talent from top to bottom, by Kane was the clear best player on those teams (and still is, though the Hawks suck now).
15 points in 12 games, dude is still so f***ig good it's disgusting.

Been one of my favorite players to watch in my lifetime.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
No, I mean the fans need to suck it up and deal with it, not the players or organization. I don't believe they have anything to suck up, because unlike the most vociferous Blashill detractors, they are no doubt aware of just how bad this roster is. It's unlikely the players are stewing about poor coaching. They are able to look around the locker room and realize 90% of the roster is bottom-6 forwards and bottom-pair defensemen.

I want Blashill gone too. I agree he's not been a very good coach. He's not the coach to take this team to the next level at the very least. But now is not the time to fire him.

This team has a worse point percentage (.25) than last year's historically bad season.
Dump this mother f***er and get a coach capable of getting us to .420 - which is what any respectable NHL-level coach could do with this roster.

The asleep-at-the-wheel management approach must stop.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Well you've convinced yourself of all that, I can see. But you aren't presenting a convincing argument to the rest of us. You are making huge assumptions to float your conclusion, abusing statistics (for the millionth time), and connecting dots that have nothing to do with one another.

You're not in fantasy land because you think Blashill is a bad coach or because you want to fire him. You're in fantasy land because you believe Dan Bylsma would be a significant upgrade over Blashill, when there is literally nothing to indicate that other than wishful thinking.

It's a fantasy to think a Stanley Cup-winning coach might be better than a coach who just keeps on getting worse?
upload_2021-2-7_14-16-20.png

That should be case closed.
My argument is that Bylsma, a Cup-winning coach, also has a history of bringing dogshit teams to respectability.
upload_2021-2-7_14-23-18.png

I presented the argument in the offseason before 19-20 season - showing how insanely rare it was in NHL history that Blashill was being brought back for that season.
People defended him them,
That season, the wheels fell off. People defended him then.
And now, somehow, he's started off worse. People are still defending him.

What's happening with Blashill and Yzerman and the Red Wings is almost unprecedented in the history of the NHL, outside of expansion teams.
Maybe completely unprecedented.

Whatever - this the wrong thread for this.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
And yet everyone blindly praises Steve Yzerman 'Trust the Yzerplan'. I hate to say it but Yzerman has done a pretty shit job so far as GM here LOL

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
I mean all of his signings have been pretty trash. No one has actually worked out here other than Nemeth and that's being really kind....

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I mean all of his signings have been pretty trash. No one has actually worked out here other than Nemeth and that's being really kind....
I don't think Yzerman cares. He's acquiring as many high draft picks as possible right now. Oh no, a player signed to a 1 or 2 year deal didn't work out amazingly, what a drag.

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
It is a drag. We're about go lose 10+ games again. Our team is completely used to losing at this point we're an embarassment

ChrisJP23

Jan 16, 2021
It is a drag. We're about go lose 10+ games again. Our team is completely used to losing at this point we're an embarassment
He told us this was going to take years. He knew this team sucked and was going to suck until the draft picks started making their way to the NHL. If the draft picks start not panning out then he deserves to be questioned. Until then we just have to hope our prospects keep getting better and become the studs we desperately need.

Reactions: r0bert8841

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
This team has a worse point percentage (.25) than last year's historically bad season.
Dump this mother f***er and get a coach capable of getting us to .420 - which is what any respectable NHL-level coach could do with this roster.

The asleep-at-the-wheel management approach must stop.

how? How can a different coach coach them to .420 when Blashill gets .250?

Not “blash bad” but actually hockey Xs and Os. Especially a coach already in the room on the staff in Blashill.

Stop abusing statistics. Just because you say numbers and maybe the numbers even are correct doesn’t mean that they ever say what you think they do.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

Bobby Ryan has been pretty good
Robby Fabbri has been pretty good.
Nemeth has been okay

The rest of them have either played like twelve games on a really bad team or were old pieces to fill time (Filppula was a bad signing)

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
It's a fantasy to think a Stanley Cup-winning coach might be better than a coach who just keeps on getting worse?
View attachment 393740
That should be case closed.
My argument is that Bylsma, a Cup-winning coach, also has a history of bringing dogshit teams to respectability.
View attachment 393743

I presented the argument in the offseason before 19-20 season - showing how insanely rare it was in NHL history that Blashill was being brought back for that season.
People defended him them,
That season, the wheels fell off. People defended him then.
And now, somehow, he's started off worse. People are still defending him.

What's happening with Blashill and Yzerman and the Red Wings is almost unprecedented in the history of the NHL, outside of expansion teams.
Maybe completely unprecedented.

Whatever - this the wrong thread for this.

People aren’t defending him. He shouldn’t keep getting extended, but he shouldn’t get run out of town on a team that still has about four legitimate players who would be in any kind of role on a good team.

It’s unprecedented because of the continued fallout from extra-long contracts given to role players by the preceding GM. There isn’t a lack of drive on this team, there is still a lack of talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad