Confirmed with Link: Anthony Mantha signs 4 year extension ($5.7m cap hit)

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
200.gif

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
That's a fantastic deal by Stevie. Bought 2* of Moe's UFA years at a bargain. It also retains the maximum amount of flexibility for the Wings long term, as that contract is highly movable should a trade arise.

Last edited:

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Not a HUGE fan of 4 years. That puts him at 30 for his next extension. If things go well he demands a 7 year deal at 30 it’s gonna get ugly the last few years.

small gripe.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
If he signs for one year and goes off he'll want and get 10-12 mil a season for the next 8.
Yeah I would have preferred max term on this deal based on his age. If his next extension is at 33 or 34 no one is giving him huge term. So the risk of him falling off with three years left is lesser.

like I said, small gripe.

it’s a great number.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Not a HUGE fan of 4 years. That puts him at 30 for his next extension. If things go well he demands a 7 year deal at 30 it’s gonna get ugly the last few years.

small gripe.
Yeah, but the Wings should have the new core fully locked in by then, so moving on from Mantha by that point won't be nearly as big of a deal. The Wings are getting a huge discount on the majority of his prime not sure how you can frame this as a bad thing.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

small gripe.

More UFA years = More AAV... So just understand then we are going north of that 5.7M number.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Great deal, great term. I'd want to trade or let him walk (depending on whether we are competitive or not) in year 4 though. Absolutely do not want to get locked into a 7 or 8 year deal entirely within his 30s. Basically every contract like that becomes awful fast.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
2 UFA years at a bargain, Mantha still had 2 RFA years left.
You're right. I am terrible at mental math. Though it doesn't matter that much because there was never a world where Mantha was signed for two years. The Wings were always going to try to buy UFA years at a discount, and I can't help but think this was not too far off the mark of what an arbitrator would have awarded Mantha. Getting two prime UFA years this cheap is a huge win.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

small gripe.

If he demands 7 years at 30 he's probably going to be sent on his way considering Raymond and Zadina are coming in, and Berggren is showing signs of being a good one himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad