Confirmed with Link: Anthony Mantha signs 4 year extension ($5.7m cap hit)

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
1000 pardons, he had 1 ok season, followed by bad coaching for 4+ seasons. DJ Smith was a rookie coach last year, with terrible roster, yet they beat us out by 23 pts for 2nd last because they competed most nights. But by all means, pump up a bad coach who has proven he can't motivate this team at all.

I have never seen such a bad coach defended by so many when he has proven for nearly 6 years he isn't good. Most coaches don't even get 3 years of losing before getting the can, but somehow he is in season 6.

Who is dumb enough to want to suicide there reputation by coaching this team?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
OK but he's still not playing all that well. I appreciate the effort but effectiveness is more important.

Anyways I love both guys and I think criticism of Mantha is a joke a lot of the time.

He has 9 pts in 11 games, and a better plus minus playing more minutes while being fine in other areas. His effort is way better, and production is better, and both ahead of Mantha.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Who is dumb enough to want to suicide there reputation by coaching this team?

An already established coach won't "suicide" their career coaching here, even if it was 2-4 years short term. That is some made up weak argument on HF only.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
An already established coach won't "suicide" their career coaching here, even if it was 2-4 years short term. That is some made up weak argument on HF only.

Then why do tanking teams never get a reputable coaches aside from new to the league coaches that could be good but could be bad? Outside of Babcock going to TO because they backed up the brinks truck offering him 50-60 million for his 7 year term can you name a good proven coach that has in say the past 10 years or so? NYI where a bubble team on the cusp when they got Trotz so that doesn't count.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I don't think its an effort thing at all at this point. He's been backchecking as hard as anyone on the team recently.

To me it's as simple as him moving his feet. If he does that, he's unstoppable with his skillset. That's what him and Blash always say too but it's not translating on the ice which just makes no sense to me. Instead he just defers defers defers and plays so stationary.

Reactions: wingerdinger

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
I don't think its an effort thing at all at this point. He's been backchecking as hard as anyone on the team recently.

To me it's as simple as him moving his feet. If he does that, he's unstoppable with his skillset. That's what him and Blash always say too but it's not translating on the ice which just makes no sense to me. Instead he just defers defers defers and plays so stationary.

I couldn’t disagree anymore. It’s 150% an effort issue. He goes into a puck battle with one hand on his stick. Shys away most shifts from contact on the boards. Makes the lazy and easy play almost every time he has the puck; which is never the right play and it often transitions into a massive turnover. This type of performance from somebody who’s supposed to be a core player is nothing less than discouraging. If I didn’t know any better; It almost seems like he has a serious issue with the coach or he’s playing hurt, but sadly it’s just pure laziness and lack of motivation.
I said it in an earlier thread; the same effort level had Pierre Luc Dubois stapled to the bench a few minutes into the game.

I do agree with you though that because he is so skilled, if he keeps his feet moving and doesn’t have them always stuck on a train track, it could make a big difference, but even then, Mantha has to want to engage himself because even with all the speed in the world, the ice isn’t big enough to avoid every player on the other team.

Reactions: Oddbob

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
He's been told for 8 years now that he needs to keep moving his feet and be more engaged during every shift. He's a perfect trade candidate because another team look at his size and highlights and want to add him to their team. I hope we don't keep him beyond his current contract because he's at his prime right now and his play will likely drop off dramatically once he's past the age of 28.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Honestly, it feels like the same old song and dance with him. I have been a big supporter of his and hoped he could be something special with all that size and talent. The dude just doesn't have any drive whatsoever, he only plays when he feels like it. You aren't gonna build a successful team with him as a core piece, and it sends a poor message to the younger guys coming up. I don't know why, but it seems especially egregious this year, maybe I'm more frustrated because it feels like the dude got paid so now he is mailing it in this season. This team has enough talent up front to score more than it does, even though the backend is complete crap. It's funny, I used to hate listening to Babs blab on and on about being "heavy on the puck" but I'll be damned if that isn't exactly what Mantha's problem is. He is soft as can be when it comes to battling for anything. I'm most definitely ready to move on and feel like he is a prime candidate to get a good return in the next year or two with all the prospects on wing that will be making their way to the big club. I hate getting rid of talent, but if you don't want to play the right way then I won't be sad to see you go.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
We've got two wingers in Zadina and Raymond.
Plus we have Berggren.

Detroit trades:
Mantha
Edmonton trades
Neal, Broberg, 2nd or Puljujarvi

I don't think even Ken Holland bites on that one.

Honestly, with our prospect pool I'd like the Wings to consider doing something like this:

Mantha (1st line W)
Hronek (realistically 2nd pair D)
+ pick(s) if we have to

For

1st pair D
2nd/3rd line C

This allows us to upgrade our biggest areas of need at C and D. On paper it may be a downgrade at W but we have prospects that are looking pretty good so far.

What teams could we work out a trade like this with? NYR? CBJ?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Then why do tanking teams never get a reputable coaches aside from new to the league coaches that could be good but could be bad? Outside of Babcock going to TO because they backed up the brinks truck offering him 50-60 million for his 7 year term can you name a good proven coach that has in say the past 10 years or so? NYI where a bubble team on the cusp when they got Trotz so that doesn't count.
That was the season Tavares left, if not for TRotz that team would have finished bottom 5. They only managed to score one more goal than the Wings, but allowed 81 less goals against. Trotz did it for the money as well, at least according to my source who played junior hockey with him. (I have no reason to doubt my source considering he was an NHL captain, but it was bar talk while watching a Caps game.)

Reactions: Oddbob

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
That was the season Tavares left, if not for TRotz that team would have finished bottom 5. They only managed to score one more goal than the Wings, but allowed 81 less goals against. Trotz did it for the money as well, at least according to my source who played junior hockey with him. (I have no reason to doubt my source considering he was an NHL captain, but it was bar talk while watching a Caps game.)

Bar talk watching a Caps game with Dale Hunter sounds magical. :laugh::thumbu:

upload_2021-2-6_16-19-38.png

Reactions: FMichael

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Is something based on Mantha for Stuetzle possible? Realistic? How much would need to add?

I'm guessing no but felt like throwing it out there anyway.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Is something based on Mantha for Stuetzle possible? Realistic? How much would need to add?

We would need to add a LOT. Stutzle is significantly better (or will be in the near future), and like 8 years younger.

Ottawa isnt trading the core forward in their rebuild for a much older, worse player.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

I think if you are Ottawa you are in position to be a complete asshole in negotiations if they were ever going to consider moving Stutzle. Like Mantha+Raymond level of asshole. You’ve got a kid who will be 19 when the season is over, succeeding at the NHL, and profiles as a C. Credit where credit is due, I didn’t think Stutzle would have the level of success he has had, the way that he’s had it so early on.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Honestly not even sure that Mantha and Raymond get it done. Timmy is looking like a bonafide STUD and he is 18 years old. Im legitimately still upset about the lottery to this day and wanted Stuetzle even if the wings picked 2. Now he gets to be wasted in Ottawa for a decade.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Honestly not even sure that Mantha and Raymond get it done. Timmy is looking like a bonafide STUD and he is 18 years old. Im legitimately still upset about the lottery to this day and wanted Stuetzle even if the wings picked 2. Now he gets to be wasted in Ottawa for a decade.

More likely 4 or 5 years. As soon as he wants to get paid what he deserves I'd expect Melnyk to ship him out.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Bar talk watching a Caps game with Dale Hunter sounds magical. :laugh::thumbu:

View attachment 393410
I wish it was Dale Hunter, lol.

He's not a name you'd recognize unless you're a fan of one of the teams he played for. I knew he was an NHL player because he's a friend of a friend, but I didn't even realize he was a captain until he told me. My response was "I thought your teammates had to like you to be a captain", lol.

Edit: He did not play for the Caps, we were watching the game because I wanted to watch that game. I'm friends with the bar owner.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Find the next Barry Trotz.
Maybe that's Lane Lambert.

But honestly, we could Dan Bylsma for the rest of the year and it would be good enough for me.

Disco Dan the guy that can't coach our pk? Lol, look this team is gonna be a gong show for any coach for a minimum 3 years. Just let Blash finish his contract this year. People are gonna be upset as hell next year when the "miracle worker" next coach falls on his face as well.

The talent on the team is abysmal. I would prefer to trade Fabbri cause he isn't a center. But when fully healthy we only have one forward line that can present a credible offensive threat (MLB). The majority of our D is cast off bottom pairing or 7th defender types. It will be 23-24 season before we even start to improve minutely and that is mainly if we get a stud prospect center and hopefully 1-2d prospects besides Seider.

Reactions: William Rusco

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Disco Dan the guy that can't coach our pk? Lol, look this team is gonna be a gong show for any coach for a minimum 3 years. Just let Blash finish his contract this year. People are gonna be upset as hell next year when the "miracle worker" next coach falls on his face as well.

The talent on the team is abysmal. I would prefer to trade Fabbri cause he isn't a center. But when fully healthy we only have one forward line that can present a credible offensive threat (MLB). The majority of our D is cast off bottom pairing or 7th defender types. It will be 23-24 season before we even start to improve minutely and that is mainly if we get a stud prospect center and hopefully 1-2d prospects besides Seider.

Disco Dan is the guy who won a Stanley Cup and came from behind to beat Mike Babcock, generally regarded as one o
f the best coaches in the world at the time.

He went to Buffalo and look what happened.
PreBylsma - .329
Bylsma - .494
Bylsma - .476
Post Bylsma - .378

FYI, Detroit was .275 last year and currently sits at .250

If Bylsma picked up points at a .450 clip, that would be about 40 points. We'd finish with 46 points for a .416 pct.
That would make us one spot better than we are now - ahead of Ottawa and LA.

All Bylsma does is make this team stop being so f***ing totally and completely awful. Puts this team in more games. And give people more reason to watch.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Fire Blashill just to have Dan Bylsma take over an already-shorthanded coaching staff, and also leave him further shorthanded for at least 2 weeks while another assistant is brought in.... is just silly. It's an "anybody is better than Blashill" mindset that is misguided and short-sighted.

No, just suck it up and deal with it for 3 more months.

Reactions: odin1981

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad