Confirmed with Link: Anthony Mantha signs 4 year extension ($5.7m cap hit)

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
I mean all of his signings have been pretty trash. No one has actually worked out here other than Nemeth and that's being really kind....
He’s completely revamped our D position to be competent. He’s gotten rid of dead weight (although there is still plenty more to offload). Our biggest issue is scoring this season and Yzerman has done what he can getting us Ryan and Fabbri. And he has put us in a position to have another decent trade deadline. We have a lot of issues but Yzerman isn’t one.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
It's a fantasy to think a Stanley Cup-winning coach might be better than a coach who just keeps on getting worse?
View attachment 393740
That should be case closed.
My argument is that Bylsma, a Cup-winning coach, also has a history of bringing dogshit teams to respectability.
View attachment 393743

I presented the argument in the offseason before 19-20 season - showing how insanely rare it was in NHL history that Blashill was being brought back for that season.
People defended him them,
That season, the wheels fell off. People defended him then.
And now, somehow, he's started off worse. People are still defending him.

What's happening with Blashill and Yzerman and the Red Wings is almost unprecedented in the history of the NHL, outside of expansion teams.
Maybe completely unprecedented.

Whatever - this the wrong thread for this.

Anecdotal garbage argument. Not to mention Bylsma has ZERO history of "bringing dogshit teams [as bad as this one] to respectability." And if Byslma being a "Stanley Cup winning coach" who can take a .250 team to .450 were a real thing, he wouldn't be an assistant coach on the worst team in the league 2 years running, in charge of a PP that is historically bad. There is a ton of "bad" with this team, and Bylsma is part of that. If he can't improve the PP with the personnel he has at his disposal, he has no business captaining the whole ship.

Fire Blashill during a previous offseason? Sure. Let him walk after this season? Yep. Fire him right now? Nope.

Reactions: odin1981

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Curious about whatever sound bite Blashill gives for scratching Mantha after today's game. I think we all can somewhat imagine but I'm still curious to hear what he's willing to say publicly.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
Curious about whatever sound bite Blashill gives for scratching Mantha after today's game. I think we all can somewhat imagine but I'm still curious to hear what he's willing to say publicly.
Blashill is the master of corporate speak. He will know exactly the safe things to say to keep his job.

Reactions: FMichael

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
In the pregame Blash alluded to "hard work & perseverance" as the best ways to stay in a lineup (referring to Tom Brady's longevity & success), but obviously a not so thinly veiled referral to Mantha. No decryption needed, pretty obvious.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
The thing is though Raymond was the prospect with the most potential left at that point in the draft. The Wings took a bet on Raymond becoming a whole lot closer to a Panarin than a Nyquist (in terms of his ability to drive a line), which is exactly the kind of risk that was necessary for the Wings at 4th that I felt was necessary.

Look at the last true NHL dynasty, the Chicago Blackhawks, as an example of a highly successful team where the best player was a Winger. Sure those teams were loaded with talent from top to bottom, by Kane was the clear best player on those teams (and still is, though the Hawks suck now).

When they where contending I would argue that Keith was their best player. Kane scored the most points and was best offense wise this is true but I would say Keith stirred the drink the most if that makes sense.

Reactions: Sadekuuro

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
Blashill is the master of corporate speak. He will know exactly the safe things to say to keep his job.

It's part of the job, unfortunately. "I'm for good things and I'm against bad things and we're going to do our best to keep doing good things."

Reactions: Ulysses31

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Iyer was saying 5 on 5 we actually have a top 10 defense analytically. That is amazing. We have gotten spectacularly bad goaltending, again analytically Griess and Bernier, especially Griess are giving up way more goals than expect, Griess almost a full goal at -.9. This is a bad team, but they sure do like to lose in different ways. The special teams are laughably bad and yet we are being sold that is the reason we keep a couple of completely finished vets in the lineup and prospects out. Yzerman and Blash need to start playing these kids, sucking and not developing isn't what the fans signed up for in this rebuild, you need to give a damn about developing these guys and prioritizing the future at this point. Tired of the half measures, lets shake something up gentleman and trust some of the youth and start integrating talent, we cannot hope to have it arrive all at once, it is time to start.

I hope we see that soon, pessimistic we will. I just want a little more progress at this point, I get there is a patience but this is getting extensive, I don't want to be in an Edmonton or Buffalo situation. I mean they did get exceptional talent eventually of course under different rules, but man we need to start improving a little more. I like that 5 on 5 stat news, but we just have no offensive punch, we need to start shedding dead weight and finding out what youth we have and where we need to keep building right now over this season and summer in my opinion.

I don't think Mantha has been what I wanted him to be for sure. But he is still one of the few difference makers we have. He does track back defensively even if we have seen some failures there and lack of effort at times this year, he isn't necessarily a serial offender. The problem is like Franzen an engaged Mantha is mesmerizing and you want to see it every time. I think he is a piece that helps moving forward as we get more talent around and he is your fourth or fifth option that is a really nice piece. He does need to take his play up, no denying that, but I am not giving up on Anthony Mantha. He is a good piece and important piece of this picture for me.

Yeah, I just don't get why they aren't playing more of the kids. It'd be one thing if all of the vets they're playing instead were lights out better, but they aren't. And if they really don't like these kids and don't expect them to stick with the organization, playing them in an effort to pump their tires a bit would still be a better move than dumping them on the taxi squad for the first quarter of the season and then burying them in GR.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009

Wish I could hear that part of the interview instead of relying on her tweet. Should probably be available on YT any moment now.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Hopefully it'll be an extra wakeup call because the team got their first win in 8 games and it was without him.

Reactions: Ezekial

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I think it had something to do with Mantha in practice or during a team meeting/video review.

I don't remember thinking Mantha sucked last game.
He had a 58,8 CF% - his best in 5 games.
He wasn't on the ice for any GA at 5 on 5.
He only had two shots on goal.
But he did have 2-1-3 over 5 games

Reactions: lilidk

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
If he gets sat again this year Blashill better walk

Why? Mantha's effort is embarrassing. If the lazy oaf would skate, his coach wouldn't have to bench him to get him going again.

Build this guy back up. Get him scoring again. Then, whether this season or next, trade him. With the right return, given the timing of this rebuild, Mantha is more valuable to Detroit on another team than on the Wings.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal

Wish I could hear that part of the interview instead of relying on her tweet. Should probably be available on YT any moment now.

About time he’s benched!! Hopefully he takes it the right way and doesn’t be sour about it like his fellow Frenchman country mate...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad