Confirmed with Link: Anthony Mantha signs 4 year extension ($5.7m cap hit)

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
I totally understand why they benched Mantha. He had been on a 4 game point streak including a 3 game goal streak. However, no points in the 3-1 loss to TB which was supposedly this awe inspiring loss type game that showed the light at the end of the tunnel blah, blah, blah. Yep, Mantha is clearly the issue. Blash is a joke and has been for quite some time. Never forget that this clown is a Babcockian disciple and that chode has proven beyond doubt that he is a coach that can only do less with more.

Reactions: WMBronco

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
There's no way Edmonton re-signs RNH, unless he gives a hometown discount. They have some cap issues to deal with and could use some more defensive/goaltending help.

What cap issues? 24M in cap space? + 4M from Klefbom LTIR if he stays there.

EDM has 28 million to operate at next summer. Yamamoto the only RFA getting a modest raise from ELC caphit.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Why? Mantha's effort is embarrassing. If the lazy oaf would skate, his coach wouldn't have to bench him to get him going again.

Build this guy back up. Get him scoring again. Then, whether this season or next, trade him. With the right return, given the timing of this rebuild, Mantha is more valuable to Detroit on another team than on the Wings.

Funny how this "lazyass" has scored most points (3+1=4 in 5 games) from our team since January 27th. And even skipped one game.

Reactions: Obe2kenobe

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
What cap issues? 24M in cap space? + 4M from Klefbom LTIR if he stays there.

EDM has 28 million to operate at next summer. Yamamoto the only RFA getting a modest raise from ELC caphit.
But they have to sign 10 players, with half of them with current cap hits of $4M. They will be tight with the cap, if they follow their current model of overpaying to try win McDavid a Cup.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Funny how this "lazyass" has scored most points (3+1=4 in 5 games) from our team since January 27th. And even skipped one game.

Being lazy doesn't preclude one from being skilled. It also doesn't imply they are lazy every second of every shift. So save me the tiny sample sizes of stats. Mantha floats. He's lazy. Just like many players before him.

Players can be ranked in every aspect of the game. Compete level is no exception. Some players have to be in the 1st percentile.

Reactions: LazyT

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I like to see Mantha get traded and win couple Stanley cups

Us or Mantha winning the cups?

Also I've got this gut feeling that the second we trade Mantha while Blashill is still coach of Detroit, that Mantha all the sudden turns into an all star. Blashill has been the dudes only pro coach since Grand Rapids. I'd love for us to get a real coach to work their way into Mantha's head to try and unlock that talent.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Us or Mantha winning the cups?

Also I've got this gut feeling that the second we trade Mantha while Blashill is still coach of Detroit, that Mantha all the sudden turns into an all star. Blashill has been the dudes only pro coach since Grand Rapids. I'd love for us to get a real coach to work their way into Mantha's head to try and unlock that talent.
I am just frostrated to see how Blashill is ruined players and I wish Mantha , at this point my favorite Red Wings, all the best with RW or without. Hope Yzerman is understand , longer Blash is a head coach, longer rebuild is

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I am just frostrated to see how Blashill is ruined players and I wish Mantha , at this point my favorite Red Wings, all the best with RW or without. Hope Yzerman is understand , longer Blash is a head coach, longer rebuild is
I'm honestly baffled how anyone can have him be their favorite player. What about him is so appealing to you? I'm not trying to start anything, I swear. I'm just curious.

NDetroitFan

Jan 9, 2017
Macomb, MI
I think we really need to look at the reality that the current group of Red Wings “stars” is not going to be the group that leads the charge when the Wings actually return to legitimate contention.

The Wings find them in a similar place to where Toronto was when they thought their core was JVR/ Kassel/ Kadri/ Phaneuf. Useful players but not age aligned with the current core.

Mantha/ Bertuzzi/ Fabbri and....gulp.....Larkin are in a similar situation with the Red Wings. I’d love to see Steve start to use these guys as assets to help them acquire other pieces that are more in line agewise with the current batch of prospects that have been acquired/ will be acquired in the 2018-22 drafts.

Personally if Mantha could be moved for a young goalie prospect like Primeau plus an add from the Habs, that would be a good start

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'm honestly baffled how anyone can have him be their favorite player. What about him is so appealing to you? I'm not trying to start anything, I swear. I'm just curious.
He's got the most skill and physical talent (including size) on this team. If his motivation level matched his skill level he'd be elite. Unfortunately, it doesn't so he's bound to disappoint you more often than not.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think we really need to look at the reality that the current group of Red Wings “stars” is not going to be the group that leads the charge when the Wings actually return to legitimate contention.

The Wings find them in a similar place to where Toronto was when they though their core was JVR/ Kassel/ Kadri/ Phaneuf. Useful players but not age aligned with the current core.

Mantha/ Bertuzzi/ Fabbri and....gulp.....Larkin are in a similar situation with the Red Wings. I’d love to see Steve start to use these guys as assets to help them acquire other pieces that are more in line agewise with the current batch of prospects that have been acquired/ will be acquired in the 2018-22 drafts.

Personally if Mantha could be moved for a young goalie prospect like Primeau plus an add from the Habs, that would be a good start
People probably said the same about Yzerman. Watch DBoss win the cup a decade from now as 3C, lol.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Besides maybe Zadina who is just breaking into the league, Mantha is the most offensively skilled player on the team. He has the best shot, he's the best passer, he has the best hands, he's huge and he's the most likely to make an entertaining offensive play.
There's other solid choices- Larkin is faster, captain of the team, also makes high skill plays sometimes and outworks Mantha, gets big points for transporting the puck up ice, Bertuzzi has grit to his game and makes some high IQ plays to set up his more skilled linemates. Hronek is our only competent defenseman, has a good shot and solid passing and plays with some grit.

I don't even know who my favorite Wing is because frankly I find them all wanting. Mantha is too inconsistent and often invisible. Larkin makes too many bland plays, turns over the puck and doesn't create enough. Bertuzzi just isn't good enough. Hronek gets crushed defensively and can't handle the position he's in. I don't think Mantha is an odd choice.

Reactions: TheMule93

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Being lazy doesn't preclude one from being skilled. It also doesn't imply they are lazy every second of every shift. So save me the tiny sample sizes of stats. Mantha floats. He's lazy. Just like many players before him.

Players can be ranked in every aspect of the game. Compete level is no exception. Some players have to be in the 1st percentile.

Do you think Mantha played poorly in the 5 games before his benching?
Because to me, he was awful his first 4-5 games.... but was clearly coming around and among our best players since then.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Because to me, he was awful his first 4-5 games.... but was clearly coming around and among our best players since then.

I do think he was playing better, yes. To me, he still wasn't playing as well as he is capable of though. And with his new contract, I have to believe Detroit management/coaching let him know that expectations have been raised. So playing his best, as he did for a vast majority of last year, is probably around the bar. And overall, he's been below that this season.

Hopefully getting healthy scratched lights another fire under his ass and we get a consistent premium Mantha back, instead of discount Mantha.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Skills , size ,and physicality. Look it is not just Mantha its everyone , except Bert playing below their potential. Nielsen was the best at shoot out, now he even can't get empty net. Hronek playing 26 minutes a game and much more

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I know this isn't directed at me but 100% no.

I've seen Mantha have way worse 5 game stretches in his career, multiple times, and not get benched like that.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
There's no way Edmonton re-signs RNH, unless he gives a hometown discount. They have some cap issues to deal with and could use some more defensive/goaltending help.
Agreed.

Also he was well overpaid the minute he signed his last contract with the Oilers...From what I could see he never lived up to it.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I know this isn't directed at me but 100% no.

I've seen Mantha have way worse 5 game stretches in his career, multiple times, and not get benched like that.

Except he wasn't on a shiny brand new $5.7M *4yr contract. He's said all the right things in the offseason. Talk Is Cheap (& I'm not referring to Keith Richards' solo album), time to walk the walk Mantha.

Reactions: odin1981 and jaster

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3